Scalpers get POSCAP screwed

I'm ha haw-ing that the scalpers bought all the first cards and they are broken.
fuck them anyway.

LOL good thing I bought an FE but then again I didn't buy a bunch of cards for scalping. I'll prob sell my 3090 FE for a profit though.

Indeed. Sneaker heads with their bots need to understand that tech is much different than shoes. A gpu purchase isn't finished until you fully test it.

I don't think they're all broken. Just the cheaper ones that skimped on that went with all cheap caps instead of the more expensive, more durable ones. Still, a little karma and poetic justice is nice and I will sleep a little better tonight knowing that :D

I suspect most people buying these at scalper prices won't know the difference - more money than sense.

do the cards only have issues when overclocking or under regular gaming use as well?

I don't think they're all broken. Just the cheaper ones that skimped on that went with all cheap caps instead of the more expensive, more durable ones. Still, a little karma and poetic justice is nice and I will sleep a little better tonight knowing that :D

What's cheap got to do with it? You buy something, you expect it to be flawed and broken because it costs less? The AIBs cheaped out to make more profit, screwing the consumer. Duh!

Not quite. Most AIBs went with only one high end cap and the others are cheap. EVGA did one on the XC3 before catching it on the FTW and adding a second.
Gigabyte cheaped out on all of them, along with Zotac. Only ASUS went with more than two, FE has two. So only FE and ASUS is safe to buy. EVGA FTW will join them soon. But all others, don't buy.

Two high end caps or better. The single stuff may still degrade over time, potentially failing outside of the warranty period.

Last edited:
Not quite. Most AIBs went with only one high end cap and the others are cheap. EVGA did one on the XC3 before catching it on the FTW and adding a second.
Gigabyte cheaped out on all of them, along with Zotac. Only ASUS went with more than two, FE has two. So only FE and ASUS is safe to buy. EVGA FTW will join them soon. But all others, don't buy.

Two high end caps or better. The single stuff may still degrade over time, potentially failing outside of the warranty period.
Isn't it the other way around? What people are toting as "high end" are actually the caps that age, but apparently are needed for these cards in some capacity.

Also for your erroneous EVGA statement: https://forums.evga.com/Message-about-EVGA-GeForce-RTX-3080-POSCAPs-m3095238.aspx

do the cards only have issues when overclocking or under regular gaming use as well?

Nividia cards have been auto-overclocking for the last few generations. The baseline frequency NV cards are rated for is ridiculously low compared to the silicon is capable of. Then there is the "boost" clock which is how high the card will supposedly clock up to (power and temperature permitting) and is controlled by the card's bios. This is also a very conservative clock. On the 3080s, core is 1440 and boost is 1710. If Nvidia cards really did cap at those speeds then the 3080 would be a modest improvement over the 20xx series and the 3090 would be considered far more overpriced than they are now.

However, NV cards will further boost past that boost clock (I forget the marketing term) to within about 10% of the card's true max performance without manual overclocking that controls voltage and power limits. This is why the "stock" speed of a 3080 is usually in the high 1800s on average. Still, the cards can end up near or past 2,000MHz on their own even without a manual overclock for brief periods and it is at these speeds where the cheap power delivery components are apparently crashing the cards. Manual overclocking makes this more likely and is why the early theories about how the cheapskate AiB partners will likely resolve the situation is to cripple the cards' bios rather than do a recall and put proper components on the pcb.

Now, even if the card is crippled it will still not be deemed as false advertising from NV or the AiB's in the sense that a user's 3080 is still performing at or above the max core clock. But, this is a fairly ridiculous position when the marketing and reviews demonstrate that normal behavior and normal framerates should come about when the card sustains speeds in the mid to high 1,800MHz range.

Now, even if the card is crippled it will still not be deemed as false advertising from NV or the AiB's in the sense that a user's 3080 is still performing at or above the max core clock. But, this is a fairly ridiculous position when the marketing and reviews demonstrate that normal behavior and normal framerates should come about when the card sustains speeds in the mid to high 1,800MHz range.

another Nvidia 3.5GB VRAM issue all over again...

I'm ha haw-ing that the scalpers bought all the first cards and they are broken.
fuck them anyway.
They didn't get screwed... they will still sell them to dumb people, and those people will get screwed because most warranties won't transfer. The scalper doesn't care after the sale.

There was nothing erroneous about what I said. XC3 has one high-end cap and the FTW will be upgraded to two, exactly what was stated in the link.
MLCCs are cheaper/age more than POSCAPs, and EVGA never shipped out any POSCAP only boards to buyers.

Also, from what I've read, the reference that Nvidia sent to AiBs called for 1 MLCC group, and 5 POSCAP. They just happened to use 2 MLCC groups and 4 POSCAPs on their FEs.

Last edited:
Wishful thinking, people are stupid and demand is too great. Scalpers are still winning. Look at the "completed" sales on eBay, tons are being sold as we speak.

I told a Founders Edition today for $1300 and a EVGA for $1150 Wed evening.

And please, do not use "scalper" it's a derogatory term targeting Native American's. Please use resellers.

Wishful thinking, people are stupid and demand is too great. Scalpers are still winning. Look at the "completed" sales on eBay, tons are being sold as we speak.

I told a Founders Edition today for $1300 and a EVGA for $1150 Wed evening.

And please, do not use "scalper" it's a derogatory term targeting Native American's. Please use resellers.
Ok, just for you we will use "fleecer" or "swindler".

They didn't get screwed... they will still sell them to dumb people, and those people will get screwed because most warranties won't transfer. The scalper doesn't care after the sale.

In some regions of the world (e.g. the EU) non-transfer of warranty shouldn't matter to the buyer; the seller is legally required to provide a replacement/repair/refund (in the case of a manufacturing defect, even beyond the official warranty period of one year, I believe).

Getting those rights is another matter, of course. Somehow, I get the impression scalpers are just thesort of people who would do their best to evade this responsibility.

Last edited:
Ok, just for you we will use "fleecer" or "swindler".

I prefer parasite since they're injecting themselves into the middle of a transaction and profiting off the work and product of someone else. Everyone else involved in the transaction is worse off with the only person benefiting being them.

Most everyone here already knows the person you're responding to isn't big on morals due to their bragging about return shenanigans though so I doubt they actually care how you characterize their activities.

The idiots buying them are going to get screwed big time, seems half the early cards are liable to develop the crash issue and with no warranty they may be left with $1.2k paperweights in a couple of months..good grief. Get a 2060 or something for 300 bucks to tide you over instead of this.

Last edited:
will this issue effect 3070 cards as well or since they don't use as much power it won't be a problem?
Nobody knows, but 3080's don't use as much power as the 3090 and they still have issues, so I'm not sure if it's completely a power issue or a frequency/noise issue or some combination. Nvidia has been (un)surprisingly quiet on the issue so nobody really knows what's going on yet. My guess is they'll just lower max boost (extra boost?) and say they were to aggressive in traffic isn't to give you more details hand you paid for, since they are boosting higher than advertised boost clocks anyways. This was a the concern that Nvidia would deliver the FE @ MSRP with almost no quantity, then the cheap cards at or near wouldn't be able to maintain the same speeds, thereby giving Nvidia day 1 benchmarks a good perf/$ metric but not at happy being able to get the same performance for the same price in reality. Time will tell if it was right or wrong, but... The writing on the wall is getting more clear.

Why is there no warranty all of sudden?
Depends on who and how you bought it. Some cards have transferable warranties, so if you bought from a 3rd party that's not an official reseller, you're still ok. If you bought one without a transferable warranty (like and FE model or Zotac), unless you purchased from an authorized reseller and not second hand (aka, from a scalper) you may not have a valid warranty if it comes to that. This post was specifically about scalpers, not direct from manufacturer or via authorized retailers.

No worries. Nvidia will have this all sorted out by the time a Ti or Super refresh is launched.

The question to early adopters is, can you live with a small decrease in otherwise expected boost? I mean, it's not like Nvidia advertises you are guaranteed to get a +300 MHz boost with the 3080. Their ass is covered already.

Depends on who and how you bought it. Some cards have transferable warranties, so if you bought from a 3rd party that's not an official reseller, you're still ok. If you bought one without a transferable warranty (like and FE model or Zotac), unless you purchased from an authorized reseller and not second hand (aka, from a scalper) you may not have a valid warranty if it comes to that. This post was specifically about scalpers, not direct from manufacturer or via authorized retailers.

So all you need is the original receipt and you're good right ? Cause let's be serious, cards that are resold aren't "used" (usually BNIB) and pretty sure these scum of the earth, bottom feeding scalper bastards would at least give you the original proof of sale

So all you need is the original receipt and you're good right ? Cause let's be serious, cards that are resold aren't "used" (usually BNIB) and pretty sure these scum of the earth, bottom feeding scalper bastards would at least give you the original proof of sale
I can't say for sure what they're doing, I haven't ever bought something from a scalper and don't plan to. I'm not sure how the receipts are done (online receipts typically), so I assume the purchaser would have to get in contact with the scalper to ask for a copy of the receipt or something. I'm not really sure, but good question. I also don't know the exact policy for each manufacturer, but I can't assume this is going to screw the scalper like this post was claiming, it's more likely to screw the purchaser.

Invoices usually have the name and address of the buyer. If they don’t match the name and address of the person requesting warranty service, then it’s possible that a company who doesn’t allow warranty transfers could deny coverage.

Invoices usually have the name and address of the buyer. If they don’t match the name and address of the person requesting warranty service, then it’s possible that a company who doesn’t allow warranty transfers could deny coverage.

Sure, but I was under the impression that warranties are on products, not owners. I don't see what the justification is to deny warranty just because you aren't the first owner.

Thankfully I live in a place that has something called a Legal warranty which all products sold here have and is transferable

Sure, but I was under the impression that warranties are on products, not owners. I don't see what the justification is to deny warranty just because you aren't the first owner.

Thankfully I live in a place that has something called a Legal warranty which all products sold here have and is transferable
It’s all about the all-mighty dollar.

Yah, I am glad I haven't bought a card, although I was aiming for a FE card. The 3090 being barely above the performance of the 3080, and the board partners all cheaping out and using worse parts than what the reference design stipulated is making me think I dodged a bullet here. Basically I think the only card that copied the FE design was the Asus TUF card that I know of. Everything else is junk. LOL.

Back