Samsung U28D590 UHD Review

Does anyone have a pic of this or other 28" 4k with 4 1080p windows open? Want to see scale of everything, very interested in picking one of these up for productivity

To any owners:

Does 4k make it much more pleasant to study? i.e., reading PDFs, web pages, Kindle books, .docx files, etc?

My thought is, that the high PPI will reduce eye strain. Right now, I have a 1440 27"
What say you?

Thanks.

To any owners:

Does 4k make it much more pleasant to study? i.e., reading PDFs, web pages, Kindle books, .docx files, etc?

My thought is, that the high PPI will reduce eye strain. Right now, I have a 1440 27"
What say you?

Thanks.

If the program is DPI aware, then yes. Any text is much more pleasing to look at on a 4K display assuming proper scaling. Unfortunately if you use Chrome for web browsing it does not yet support HiDPI displays which results in blurry text. IE and Firefox do not have this issue. PDFs and MS Word also scale well.

guyz
someone know a compatible cable display port for this monitor??
I try many of them and they are not working.
screen start flickering with all the cables.
I need one 6ft long because the one comes with the monitor its too short

I just sold an extra computer, to get money for this monitor.

Are you owners still happy with it?
Is the low contrast very bothersome?

I use a computer for ~10 hours a day, and I spend Most of that time reading. Is it worth the investment for me, over a 27" 1440? (because of text clarity)
The programs that I use will scale the text just fine. (Kindle, PDF, etc.)

Thanks.

ALSO, can someone please try 1080 scaling and tell me how well it works? Because it's *2, I expect it will be perfect?
I don't have the video power to play games on 4k, lol.

Just bought one! Finally to be rid of the bezels in my three 23" setup. Giving up some size but I can sit much closer to this than the eyefinity and still have better resolution on top of it.

Also, Samsung has them available direct for $599 and free shipping on their website. Just Google samsung.

Really pumped to see how it looks and post a review, I ha e a closed loop kraken g10 water cooling setup on the way and it should make my 290x fly to hopefully keep up with all the extra pixels!

I see that Samsung also has a delay until they ship. So, I placed my order on Amazon instead. I hope I get it, soon!

Eff, just got an email from Samsung saying that its on backorder..... Wish they would have been more up front about that...

I've had my Samsung U28D590D 4K monitor for a few days now and overall I am very pleased with it. Its not a perfect monitor but its still a really good product IMO.

Anyway, I have a question for other U28D590D owners since I think I have a fairly minor quality control issue with my unit. It seems that the panel / screen itself isn't quite aligned perfectly with the outer case. So the black space between the active area of the screen and the bezel in the upper left hand corner is slightly larger then the opposite side on the upper right.

Think of it as a square with a slightly smaller square within it and that innermost square rotated slightly with respect to the outer square.

It doesn't really bother me but it also doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling either given this is the most expensive monitor I've ever bought / owned.

So my question is, are other Samsung U28D590D owners seeing this too?

I guess I should be thankful that I am not seeing any serious issues with this monitor but I am trying to get a feel for how pervasive this might be if I want to RMA for a new one,....if Amazon ever gets it back in stock.

I've had my Samsung U28D590D 4K monitor for a few days now and overall I am very pleased with it. Its not a perfect monitor but its still a really good product IMO.

Anyway, I have a question for other U28D590D owners since I think I have a fairly minor quality control issue with my unit. It seems that the panel / screen itself isn't quite aligned perfectly with the outer case. So the black space between the active area of the screen and the bezel in the upper left hand corner is slightly larger then the opposite side on the upper right.

Think of it as a square with a slightly smaller square within it and that innermost square rotated slightly with respect to the outer square.

It doesn't really bother me but it also doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling either given this is the most expensive monitor I've ever bought / owned.

So my question is, are other Samsung U28D590D owners seeing this too?

I guess I should be thankful that I am not seeing any serious issues with this monitor but I am trying to get a feel for how pervasive this might be if I want to RMA for a new one,....if Amazon ever gets it back in stock.

Looking at mine the upper right corner seems closer to the top than the upper left corner, but only by less than 1mm. I wouldn't let it bother you though I've owned top of the range Dell monitors with similar "issues"

I have seen that on plenty of monitors including the Dell I am on now.

Last edited:
Looking at mine the upper right corner seems closer to the top than the upper left corner, but only by less than 1mm. I wouldn't let it bother you though I've owned top of the range Dell monitors with similar "issues"

Thanks for the fast response.

It is fairly slight and it is helpful to know that if I RMA it I'd likely get another with the same oddity. I own five 27" monitors (two 2560x1440 and three 1920x1080) and I have never seen anything like this before. Not a deal breaker but for such a thing to be perceptible is a bit surprising to me. You practically have to look for it to see it though so again it's not that off putting.

Still, I wonder if anyone else with the Samsung U28D590D sees this or if the upcoming ASUS PB287Q and Lenovo ThinkVision Pro2840m will have the same thing?

Last edited:
Like I just said, any monitor can have this. If you bought it locally then you could swap it out but its a hassle to RMA or ship back. You could end up with one that is even worse and/or has other issues.

Like I just said, any monitor can have this. If you bought it locally then you could swap it out but its a hassle to RMA or ship back. You could end up with one that is even worse and/or has other issues.

Indeed,...

I'm sure most monitors have this to some degree or another. So for example if all my current monitors as well as past and future monitors have, had or will have it to a degree that isn't easily seen or noticed then I wouldn't be surprised. Nothing is perfect after all. The Samsung U28D590D is therefor the first I've noticed this on and while it isn't a serious defect it is somewhat noticeable and that is IMO a small yet unfavorable distinction.

After some thought, I wouldn't RMA the Samsung U28D590D just for that and get another U28D590D. Its just not that big of a problem and the unit model I have (the American version) works perfectly. However, if the return period is still in effect when the ASUS PB287Q and Lenovo ThinkVision Pro2840m (possibly even the Philips 288P6) become available at or near respective MSRP (~$799) then I might switch. It wouldn't be because of the alignment though.

For what its worth I was watching a review of the Samsung U28D590D on youtube and about ~3min in they show a closeup of the products upper righthand corner while running OS X. While not the best angle, I believe their demo unit is displaying the exact same off-alignment I was referring to. This is made easier to see by the OS X menu bar nearly touching the upper right corner but trailing off slightly along the run to the left side (accentuated by the reflection of the menu bar on the glossy bezel which highlights the uneven dead-space between) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5YXWqhL9ik&app=desktop

Again not a big deal I'm just pointing it out as an FYI.

To be clear I think the Samsung U28D590D is a great monitor overall despite any minor quibbles.

This happened when I changed the color temperature to Warm:
The opposite seemed to happen when I set it to Cool.

wN9ApvT.jpg

2Pwz13J.jpg

mb6AwFD.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, wonder if anyone can help with this. I just received the Samsung monitor and the picture is great. However I can't find a way to change the language in the monitor's menu from Korean to English.

Is there a way to do that or am I missing it because most of the writing is in Korean?

Hey guys, wonder if anyone can help with this. I just received the Samsung monitor and the picture is great. However I can't find a way to change the language in the monitor's menu from Korean to English.

Is there a way to do that or am I missing it because most of the writing is in Korean?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1810087&page=8 and scroll down to l88bastard post with the pict at the bottom.

NP man, I remember seeing that somewhere in the forums, it was just a matter of backtracking since unfortunately search is not able to read text in pictures.

Loving the monitor. I've had the 24" 4K Dell and to be honest, I think the color on this is better. I always felt the Dell had too much red push, but the Sammy seems more neutral.

I don't see that on mine. Of course if I look at the screen from angles, I'll see a color shift, but I sit in front of the monitor like I do with every monitor I've had.

The important thing to me is the color looks more natural than the IPS panel of the Dell.

Has anyone had any luck overclocking this monitor?

1080p and 1440p overclock to 85hz. At 4k I can not even overclock to 61hz (which should be fine on display port). The strange thing is that Nvidia's control panel is saying it is successful but the refresh rate is still 60hz and no custom resolution is saved.

Picture is lies, it is still 60 hz
h97meXg.png

This is normal? :eek: Holy crap.

That is actually a bit abnormal , my TN gaming panel for instance isn't have that pronounced. Sometimes its luck of the draw really and especially so for TN panels.

It goes with the territory.

That is actually a bit abnormal , my TN gaming panel for instance isn't have that pronounced. Sometimes its luck of the draw really and especially so for TN panels.

It goes with the territory.

It's probably more noticeable because he took the picture really close up too. I haven't used a TN in awhile, but when I had one, placing the monitor further back seemed to help with the vertical shift.

It's probably more noticeable because he took the picture really close up too. I haven't used a TN in awhile, but when I had one, placing the monitor further back seemed to help with the vertical shift.

No mate, I wasn't very close. The text at the top would be much smaller, if I was. I think I used a 50mm (cf=80mm) lens.

Back