Samsung U28D590 UHD Review

There is a very minor shift on my panel, but nothing that is deal breaker. Amazing and I dont ever want to go back now...Best TN ive come across

There is a very minor shift on my panel, but nothing that is deal breaker. Amazing and I dont ever want to go back now...Best TN ive come across

Will you tell me what it looks like, if you set it to warm 2?

=DEAD='s Review (Use Google or Chrome to translate)

-mediocre out of the box (83.6% vs typical 89%+) sRGB color space coverage
-Poor contrast (800:1)
-20.5ms delay
-240hz PWM when set below 30% brightness
-Typical TN viewing angles
-Obvious color shift

It's definitely the monitor to have if one is desperate to own a cheap 60hz 4K monitor, but performance wise (aside from the 4k aspect) it's pretty meh compared to the lower res competition. I don't understand the attraction since the image quality is mediocre compared to a quality 1440p AHVA/IPS/PLS panel, and I have used 4K before but I couldn't handle the scaling issues.

Last edited:
so to cut to the chase, is this Samsung 2 panels merge into 1? ie., another 1 of those 1920x2160 x 2 screen?

so you're right, there is a higher chance that the 31.5" is also single tile.

The truth is, my sharp LCD TV dies in under 1 year, the warranty covers it. So overall sharp panel isn't that good neither. IN other words, I may be reluctantly forced to try out the samsung 32" in Aug.

Bought and returned this monitor and my feelings are summed up here...

1. Wow.. 4k is amazing. Also wow.. Windows 8 sucks at scaling. Apple does this right however if that matters to you.

2. Very middle of the road picture , not the worst color I've seen on a TN but far off what I've seen from other panel tech. Contrast is barely acceptable. However for gaming this is perfectly all doable , more on that later though..

3.Love that its a single panel and not two panels sandwiched side by side , makes plug and play a total snap. Worked fine on my setup , no driver hassles or resolution issues. Having to change the language from Korean to English was a bit annoying but whatever.

4. Wobbling stand. Wobble wobble wobble wobble.... FUCK. Seriously if I'm buying a $600 monitor go a head and charge me $50 for a decent fucking stand. Not having a proper stand OR VESA mount is unacceptable for a monitor in this price range.

For gaming this monitor is great. I didn't notice the PWM issue NCX did but of course my brain might not be that effected by it. But for games its beautiful and especially for MMO's where real estate matters big time.

But at the end of the day it felt very "early adopter" and I don't care to be that this time around. I'm glad Samsung is spearheading the charge into affordable 4k monitors , love that but I'm going wait for a better panel in that price range .. that has 176 and/or 178 viewing angles and better color. When that comes along I'll bite , but my Qnix monitors are perfectly fine for now. Also 4k video (I actually have a 300+ GB 4k video playing off an external hard drive) looks INCREDIBLE... its awe inspiring. But since 4k Blu Ray's are still not here there isn't any reason to buy a 4k anything for TV/Movies.

I recommend passing on this one and holding out for something better.

"But for games its beautiful and especially for MMO's where real estate matters big time."

What do you mean by that? Its still just a 16:9 screen so it should be the same real estate in game as any other screen with that aspect ratio. :confused:

GodMachine said:
But for games its beautiful and especially for MMO's where real estate matters big time.

What do you mean by that? Its still just a 16:9 screen so it should be the same real estate in game as any other screen with that aspect ratio. :confused:

Yeah, this doesn't make sense to me either. It's a TN with poor colors (vs. a decent VA, AHVA/IPS/PLS panel), contrast, viewing angles, color consistency and has a grainy matte coating according to I88bastard which negates the increased sharpness 4K can offer, which is minor anyway. The 1 frame delay is also pretty lame for a TN panel.

The only appealing aspect is the increased real-estate and bragging rights...which are worthless to the informed who already own a good monitor.

I just picked one of these up from NewEgg (US version). After calibration, colors are really good. It offers about 97% sRGB according to my Spyder4. Contrast ratio is poor -- really similar to most other TN and IPS panels. I also own an FG2421 and this highlights the poor black levels on the monitor. Diablo 3, as a test sample, really highlights the weaknesses of both the game and the monitor. The poor contrast of the monitor makes the game look washed out. The 4k resolution really highlights how bad the textures are in Diablo 3. I thought I would enjoy this game a lot on this monitor, which isn't the case. The FG2421 is far better for that game. That said, other games I play, SWTOR, CSGO, BF4, Dishonored, Thief, Bioshock Infinite look amazing at 4K on this monitor. I was surprised to find that the response time of CSGO is close enough to the FG2421 that the higher resolution wins out for better gaming experience. I can still identify targets while moving side to side. It isn't as clear as the FG2421, but way clearer than I expected. I was really surprised by this. Input lag, after setting the menu from "Fastest" to "Standard", is good. The overdrive settings are horrible on this monitor. Don't use them! Overall, I am really pleased with the monitor. You really do not need to use any more than 2xMSAA to get rid of all jaggies. They are hardly noticeable anyway and more AA can make the games look blurry/overfiltered. The backgrounds of the games are amazing. SWTOR backgrounds were a pixellated mess at 1080p in some areas, which really bothered me. Now everything is razor sharp. It really is unbelievable how good it looks ...

Yeah, this doesn't make sense to me either. It's a TN with poor colors (vs. a decent VA, AHVA/IPS/PLS panel), contrast, viewing angles, color consistency and has a grainy matte coating according to I88bastard which negates the increased sharpness 4K can offer, which is minor anyway. The 1 frame delay is also pretty lame for a TN panel.

The only appealing aspect is the increased real-estate and bragging rights...which are worthless to the informed who already own a good monitor.

You can scale the UI in MMO's and with mods (interface mods) it helps to have as much resolution as possible in that case , using an old mod from WoW called Discord you can do lots of crazy scaling with such a high resolution. Its a very specific benefit that not all gamers will see or understand as an advantage. And yes with all those negatives it isn't really worth it right now unless you either don't give a shit about PQ or simply must have 4k now.

Heads up! It seems that Best Buy is now carrying the Samsung U28D590. I am planning to go down tomorrow and hope they have a running demo version connected to a PC. So if you guys are on the fence maybe your local Best Buy has it in stock for you to see than ordering it online and returning it if you don't care for it.

Heads up! It seems that Best Buy is now carrying the Samsung U28D590. I am planning to go down tomorrow and hope they have a running demo version connected to a PC. So if you guys are on the fence maybe your local Best Buy has it in stock for you to see than ordering it online and returning it if you don't care for it.
Hmm I just checked and they have some available at my closest BB.

I do video editing and can attest to the fact that this is an excellent monitor in terms of color and resolution, when used in conjunction with my 4K camera. Viewing 4K videos is jaw dropping.

I'm not a gamer, but I've had very little issues with scaling programs in Win 8.1. Almost all my programs scale nicely, with the exception of one of my editing programs. But even there it's doable.

I had the 24" Dell 4K monitor prior, but prefer this one.

How big / bigger / is this display, compared to an 27 inches monitor 1080p ?
Same size ?
What about the Hz on this Samsung U28D590 UHD ? 30Hz ? 60Hz ?
Thank you

ended up cancelling the order from samsung as Best Buy had one in stock that I was able to get. Even nicer part was they price matched the microcenter price for $599.

So far the monitor is great, the stand isn't as bad as I feared, and once I changed over to Firefox the scaling issues went away. The colors look just as good as my Dell e-ips screen and the super high resolution is an experience that I like even better in person than I thought possible.

If anyone has any calibration tips or what they're using I would be interested in hearing those though just to make sure I'm getting the best possible picture.

If anyone has any calibration tips or what they're using I would be interested in hearing those though just to make sure I'm getting the best possible picture.

I snagged one of these about a week ago. Came from a triple TN setup, couldn't be happier with it. Very bright and the picture is amazing.

Calibrated it with a Spider 4 Elite, here's the settings I got:

Brightness: 44
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 60

Color was set to Cool then adjusted:

Red: 23
Green: 20
Blue: 50

This should put you very close to 6500K with about 180cd/m2.

To OP (or other owners of this monitor):

This may have been covered, i didnt have time to read all the posts yet, but what games have you been played?

I use my rig exclusively for gaming. I don't watch movies on it, model, etc. Just games and surfing the 'net.

I'd like to step up to 4K this year. I have an older CPU, though it was the high end 6 core at the time, paired with a slightly over clocked Titan. What games have you played? Are you getting the full 60FPS in them with your 780? How do they look? Right now, I'm playing GW2, War Thunder, Arma III, Titanfall, and some others.

Gaming experiences?

To OP (or other owners of this monitor):

This may have been covered, i didnt have time to read all the posts yet, but what games have you been played?

I use my rig exclusively for gaming. I don't watch movies on it, model, etc. Just games and surfing the 'net.

I'd like to step up to 4K this year. I have an older CPU, though it was the high end 6 core at the time, paired with a slightly over clocked Titan. What games have you played? Are you getting the full 60FPS in them with your 780? How do they look? Right now, I'm playing GW2, War Thunder, Arma III, Titanfall, and some others.

Gaming experiences?

GTX 670 with OC 3570k.
I had to lower my settings in games, but in most I was still able to get over 60FPS. I played Warthunder, Warthunder tanks, Nether, and I believe Wargame: EE.

Did some testing with this monitor for PWM. 0-29 brightness uses low frequency PWM and should be avoided. 30-100 either goes into DC voltage, or really high PWM that can no longer be picked up with a camera.

New Nvidia driver says this:

4K Displays – 337.88 WHQL offers full support for both MST and SST 4K displays

Does that mean SLI is now working for this monitor?

That SST 4K bit amazes me, as to why that fix was needed at all.
I know Nvidia chosen to implement support for 4K DP MST via some hack that whitelists selected known by them monitor EDIDs and hides in UI multimonitor nature of such screens dispite most probably actual support being via same nvidia surround for 2 screens that otherwise is artificially disabled in nvidia gaming gpus.
But it should not affect by any way SST 4K monitor support which should have been there since very beginning. Or is that hack for MST 4K monitors THAT hackish so to require all 4K screens regardless of type (probably much more models in oncoming years) to be EDID-whitelisted? Now it seems not just their marketing droids, but also driver coders are loosing their touch.

That SST 4K bit amazes me, as to why that fix was needed at all.
I know Nvidia chosen to implement support for 4K DP MST via some hack that whitelists selected known by them monitor EDIDs and hides in UI multimonitor nature of such screens dispite most probably actual support being via same nvidia surround for 2 screens that otherwise is artificially disabled in nvidia gaming gpus.
But it should not affect by any way SST 4K monitor support which should have been there since very beginning. Or is that hack for MST 4K monitors THAT hackish so to require all 4K screens regardless of type (probably much more models in oncoming years) to be EDID-whitelisted? Now it seems not just their marketing droids, but also driver coders are loosing their touch.

New tech is new tech, it isn't as simple as armchair dev is ;).

I have the Lenovo 4k pro2840m. I thought this is the best place to ask since D590 is probably the most common 4k monitor right now.

I have a performance issues in desktop use. I noticed that my gtx780 is not boosting in desktop at all. For example running a 4k youtube video results the processor being used at 70-80% and even a 1080p clip uses 20-25%. I can also see that the video isnt smooth. The gpu clock stays at 324MHz. Gaming works fine. What could be the problem?

I have the lates nvidia drivers.

have you enable flash hardware acceleration? just right click on the flash video

Yes. Ive been using html5 mainly but just tried with flashplayer and while the cpu usage dropped to below 20% playing a 4k video, it still didnt boost and lagged quite a bit :(

E:
Also resizing some windows is painfully choppy.

Last edited:
Well, I've just got it, and initial impressions are very positive. Apart from the fact that it came with an American power plug! I'm able to play Borderlands 2 at 60 fps with all the settings cranked up. I'm going to have to upgrade to Windows 8.1 because my monitors now have different DPI settings and Windows 7 cannot cope with that. Text is VERY small on the Samsung!

Physically, the monitor is not actually that big. 28" diagonal screen with a < 0.5" bezel. That's only a little more than my Dell 1200p monitors if you include the bezel.

Moving the mouse between monitors is now rather odd. The pixel mapping is no longer 1:1.

That's a review after 60 mins.

Unfortunately Windows 8.1 still isn't that great with DPI between 4K and non-4K. While the 4K looks good at 150%, the 1200P I have hooked up as well is just gigantic, even with the automated scaling it supposedly has now. Wish they'd just give the option to manually set the DPI per screen.

http://www.samsung.com/levant/consumer/computers-peripherals/monitors/led-monitor/LU28D590DS/ZN-spec

1) How come the spec. sheet does not explicitly states it's 60Hz?

2) am I only 1 who is concern that the monitor is a 1 yr. warranty only LCD? I need to remind you people that the Dell 31.5" and Asus 31.5" is 3 yr.

3) can the neck be adjustable for height?

4) does it bother any1 that the power cord is not the standard pwr. cord that we use on power supply and LCD, rather, a transformer type power cord that step down the voltage?

Last edited:
2) different class of products with WAAY different prices. Shouldn't matter if short warranty was only flaw.
3) Stand is not adjustable in any direction. And display has no vesa mount. Big drawbacks if one remembers that it's TN panel has very narrow viewing angles without strong color shift, so has increased need for adjustable stand.

2) am I only 1 who is concern that the monitor is a 1 yr. warranty only LCD? I need to remind you people that the Dell 31.5" and Asus 31.5" is 3 yr.

I bought it knowing that. Fortunately we have the Sale of Goods Act over here.

3) can the neck be adjustable for height?

No. If you want an ajustable stand, buy the AOC instead.

4) does it bother any1 that the power cord is not the standard pwr. cord that we use on power supply and LCD, rather, a transformer type power cord that step down the voltage?

No, but it bothered me immensely that I received mine with a US power plug and not a UK one.

Big drawbacks if one remembers that it's TN panel has very narrow viewing angles without strong color shift, so has increased need for adjustable stand.

I'm not seeing any strong colour shift as I move my head around.

Actually, I've just played a session of Borderlands 2 in 1080p full screen without any issues.

Quartz: then you are in luck at right distance and right angle and/or less demanding. People are of different height/using different furniture/seating position/distance to screen. Reviewers noted noticeable issues and posted videos showing issues. Certainly ability to adjust screen position/angle would help somewhat alleviate panel cons, so it seems to me very weird decision from samsung engineering (or design?) dept, doubtfully saving enough on price to justify such feature removal. At very least having vesa mount should be designed in, if stock stand of fixed type, i doubt it should cost more then extra 5$.

Back