Samsung intros IPS competitor: PLS

Any really good model released by Samsung over past 3 years?

That's what concerns me when I look at SA850.

I have to say, I love the aesthetics and functionality. Only nit is I'm sketpical about the brushed aluminum and the buttons.

If the panel tech is solid, I'm sold.

Based on a f2380, the portrait image above is of the panel right after it's been turned on, but possibly before the input/source has resolved. It has a full black background during this process.

Albovin, we still have our WUXi's if/even this PLS/SA850 fail :)

I am more interested in a 24" version to pair with my UXi.

I saw that there was a 24" panel, but nothing on an actual monitor. Any word on a 24" version?

I am more interested in a 24" version to pair with my UXi.

I saw that there was a 24" panel, but nothing on an actual monitor. Any word on a 24" version?

Snowdog, check this Samsung's Product Selection Guide 1H / 2011

AFAIK, 24" will be ready with its 27" brother and will share same tech/equipment, but its product labeling is uknown, only the panel PN is known ( LTM240CL01 ). Based on mentioned guide & local Samsung rep, the april/may release date seems to be solid.

Snowdog, check this Samsung's Product Selection Guide 1H / 2011

AFAIK, 24" will be ready with its 27" brother and will share same tech/equipment, but its product labeling is uknown, only the panel PN is known ( LTM240CL01 ). Based on mentioned guide & local Samsung rep, the april/may release date seems to be solid.

Yes I had seen this before. Panel info. I was hoping for monitor info. It is April already and no monitor info.

It's almost May what u talking about lol. And still no information about these new monitors, espeically the SA850

According to that data sheet, the 24" panel is 1920x1200 pixels and 16:9 ratio. One of those numbers is wrong. I hope it's the latter. :confused:

I think we are safe due to the listed PPI also being 94, which would make sense for a 24" 1920x1200 panel.

I am definetly interested in the 24" ones, 3 of them to be exact, I'm just hoping they have clean / even bezels like say the u2311

most people I know are not satisfied with Samsung products and before the one I ordered for my sister arrives, I will share his opinion (haven't seen good ratings so far).

Interesting how there is a 1920x1200 TN panel listed in that pdf as well. Not that I would consider one but is there a 16:10 TN coming out as well then?

most people I know are not satisfied with Samsung products and before the one I ordered for my sister arrives, I will share his opinion (haven't seen good ratings so far).

It's not like choices abound. Maybe Samsung will sell some of these panels to NEC/ASUS etc and we can get some more variety.. But I think that's too long to wait if you are looking for a 1440p or more monitor with a more modest anti-glare effect.

I think you cannot judge the actual panel quality by these photos, both because Samsung tries to make it look better than it might be and because the lightning and camera could screw everything up. So I would neither say the panel is good nor it's bad.

But I would really like to hear some release information. This "no information" strategy sucks. I'm really waiting for this display. Well, I hope Portal 2 will help me forget it for some days.

If these displays turn out to be any good, I really doubt it will be right of the bat. Sorry for being pessimistic, but the past usually predicts the future.

If these displays turn out to be any good, I really doubt it will be right of the bat. Sorry for being pessimistic, but the past usually predicts the future.

The past shows that samsung knows what the fuck they are doing.

I just hope this is picked up by some big-box retailers. I'd like to see something like this in person, before shelling out big money for a 27" monitor.

I just hope this is picked up by some big-box retailers. I'd like to see something like this in person, before shelling out big money for a 27" monitor.

Or at least sold by Amazon so you can try it out and return it for no cost at all. :D

Midtones raised to 1.25:

Coxvm.png

Midtones raised to 1.50:

qAYSX.png

Midtones raised to 1.75:

osOQC.png

Exposure raised to 3.00:

z6y9d.png

Stock, screen surface only:

lgTeD.png

Same but transparent:

XHWwR.png

Last edited:
That's some crap bleeding on the lower left and upper right corners, especially since you can see it with the lights on.

That's some crap bleeding on the lower left and upper right corners, especially since you can see it with the lights on.

Yep, here's hoping that's just a bad unit.

Otherwise, I like the 'pro' look of the bezel. Looks very similar to the U2711 in it's finish.

So did you actually see the panel, Tamahagane? If so, what's the anti-glare like?

Excuse me, but i think that's only the reflection of the environment.

Except its not. Fairly easy to tell its not a reflection since it shows up with the lights off also.

Edit: Just noticed something odd the shot of the screen in the dark doesn't seem legit, there is no blue power light like in the other photos. Somethings up.

Edit2: I guess the dark shot was the surface without the bezel placed on a black background is what I take from the text. I thought before when he said surface only it was in the dark so you can only see the surface but the last pic makes me think it is just photoshopped onto a black background. So essentially they are all the same picture.

Am I the last one to see that it's in portrait mode? I think I've missed the context of Tamahagane's post.

So did you actually see the panel, Tamahagane? If so, what's the anti-glare like?

Am I the last one to see that it's in portrait mode? I think I've missed the context of Tamahagane's post.

Could be, I thought it was just wall mounted for display.

I just took this image from page 14:

001917717.jpg

Raised midtones in Photoshop and as it says in the last pic, left the pic at stock and showed only the screen surface.

I just took this image from page 14:

001917717.jpg

Raised midtones in Photoshop and as it says in the last pic, left the pic at stock and showed only the screen surface.

This doesnt say much as the light probably is from another source but reflected by the screen. Check there is a light in the middle as well.

And why do you photoshop pics?

Of course, that needs to be taken into account, yet in certain parts it still does look very much like bleeding, nonetheless.

Edit: To bring out the details better? Someone watching this on very low brightness might not see the details.

Last edited:
Of course, that needs to be taken into account, yet in certain parts it still does look very much like bleeding, nonetheless.

Edit: To bring out the details better? Someone watching this on very low brightness might not see the details.

If he thinks so he can add brightness. There are allready many errors in a photo seen in a monitor compared to the reality. No point to add even more.

Well. At least we now know that this is the picture.

To me it is pretty obvious that the light from the seeling is reflected by the screen. We will have to see on other pictures in darker rooms if this screen has backlight bleed. To meassure back light bleed from a pic where we are not aware of the light sources is impossible.

001917717.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah umm needless to say I don't think that is very good monitor testing - there is all kinds of glare in that bright arena - and that is clearly not a production model.

This doesnt say much as the light probably is from another source but reflected by the screen. Check there is a light in the middle as well.

Look at the lower left hand corner (or in this case, the top left) as well. That's some NASTY backlight bleed right there.

Look at the lower left hand corner (or in this case, the top left) as well. That's some NASTY backlight bleed right there.

could be but it is clearly a prototype so even if it would be BLB it still doesnt say much about the final product.

Back