Samsung Galaxy S6

Wow. . That's crazy. And here I am testing this on my phones, and this wasn't a problem on any of my devices.

All my Samsung smartphones had this issue.

I don't think it's really a problem.

Because it's meant to be like that.

And I believe ya... I just didn't know that Samsung did it on purpose.

And I believe ya... I just didn't know that Samsung did it on purpose.

I don't think they do it on purpose, it's just something that happens with displays on phones. Just like they all still have that small black bezel around the display, it's just something we haven't overcome yet.

I don't think they do it on purpose, it's just something that happens with displays on phones. Just like they all still have that small black bezel around the display, it's just something we haven't overcome yet.
Except that on the display itself (ignoring the bezels), I could draw from edge to edge on my M7, M8, and Nexus 5. The only other phone that I still have (but haven't used in a while) is the GS2, and I certainly don't remember if the GS2 didn't have touch recognition around the display edges. So, if it didn't, that would mean I certainly don't have a problem with it.

Except that on the display itself (ignoring the bezels), I could draw from edge to edge on my M7, M8, and Nexus 5. The only other phone that I still have (but haven't used in a while) is the GS2, and I certainly don't remember if the GS2 didn't have touch recognition around the display edges. So, if it didn't, that would mean I certainly don't have a problem with it.

Those phones are pretty thick around the screen though (The HTC ONE M8 is anyways). Do you know what program was being used in that video, if so run it and make a video of it.

Wow. . That's crazy. And here I am testing this on my phones, and this wasn't a problem on any of my devices.

Are you willing to testify under oath? This is my HTC using Lecture Notes. Notice the white gap.

20150306_163537_zpsbqcamkyw.jpg

You guys are soooo cute when you argue! :)

P.S. Come over to General Mayhem sometime... we'll treat you right!! ;)

No problems using autocad sketchbook on M7, M8, and Nexus 5. I didn't say a thing about the Thunderbolt crap.

HTC One M8 has worse issues like ghost touches registering in multiple places. Now this is something that needs to be fixed. :p

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By2KzVde6Q4Ed1VEQ05qUFcwZDA/view

You're reaching pretty hard there.

Notice it's plugged in. If you have a shitty charger or plugged into something that's not meant to charge a device, it causes the device to bug out like that. I have a desk with built in USB ports and pretty much any phone I plug into it freaks out like that; my old Gnex, Note 2, wife's old Rezound and current GS4, and my kids tabs do it too. I haven't tried my M8 on it yet because I pretty much know it'll do it as well.

Notice it's plugged in. If you have a shitty charger or plugged into something that's not meant to charge a device, it causes the device to bug out like that. I have a desk with built in USB ports and pretty much any phone I plug into it freaks out like that; my old Gnex, Note 2, wife's old Rezound and current GS4, and my kids tabs do it too. I haven't tried my M8 on it yet because I pretty much know it'll do it as well.
My 6+ does it, too. It's damn near impossible to type an e-mail or text while my phone is plugged into the wall. It's not quite as bad when plugged into a computer, but I still try to avoid typing while charging.

That should put a smile on the Apple hater's face. :p

I think you're reaching there because I haven't seen that issue. What I did have is the opposite issue with Nexus 7 where touch input spazzes if using with one hand on a non-conductive surface. When plugged in or holding with both hands it's ok.

My 6+ does it, too. It's damn near impossible to type an e-mail or text while my phone is plugged into the wall. It's not quite as bad when plugged into a computer, but I still try to avoid typing while charging.

That should put a smile on the Apple hater's face. :p

It even does it while plugged into the OEM charger? If so, that's pretty jacked.

I hope you're not calling me an Apple hater though. :p

I think you're reaching there because I haven't seen that issue. What I did have is the opposite issue with Nexus 7 where touch input spazzes if using with one hand on a non-conductive surface. When plugged in or holding with both hands it's ok.

Lol, mmkay. :rolleyes:

You prolly haven't had that issue because you haven't used a shitty charger or bad USB port/cable. That N7 had an entirely different and unrelated issue. Regardless, what you posted is not an issue or specific to the M8 at all, hence the reaching.

Last edited:
Unless you're saying HTC charger is shitty because that's what it looks like he's using in the video judging by the HTC signature molded ends. And, it makes sense that he uses what comes with the phone.

41-OmVoxDyL.jpg

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m8/453052-htc-one-m8-touch-screen-randomly-registers-multiple-places.html

I've had Verizon send me *THREE* Warranty replacements, and they all do the exact same thing. It doesn't seem like a software problem, as the phone even did it at the "Welcome" activation screen after a hard wipe.

Last edited:
Unless you're saying HTC charger is shitty because that's what it looks like he's using in the video judging by the HTC signature molded ends. And, it makes sense that he uses what comes with the phone.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-OmVoxDyL.jpg[/IM G]

[URL="http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m8/453052-htc-one-m8-touch-screen-randomly-registers-multiple-places.html"]http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m8/453052-htc-one-m8-touch-screen-randomly-registers-multiple-places.html[/URL][/QUOTE]

He might be using the HTC cable, but not the charger (wall adapter) that came with it. Or it may very well be the case that the charger that came with it is defective. OEMs aren't impervious to defects on their chargers, just as the Samsung charger that came with my Note 2 started squealing somewhat loud after a while and I had to replace it.

So again, it's not an issue with the phone, as I can replicate it right now with my aforementioned desk USB ports on any of the phones/tabs in my house.

Why are we talking so much about HTC in a thread about Samsung?

Because for ever shortfall that is found on a Samsung device, Mi7chy has to counter with another imaginary shortfall of HTC..? Lol

Because for ever shortfall that is found on a Samsung device, Mi7chy has to counter with another imaginary shortfall of HTC..? Lol

Yea this getting derailed fast.

I think my last comment on this phone is this:

Looks nice, I admire Samsung for their direction thus far, it doesn't fit my needs so I won't be considering it. I do however think it is a good phone and I will be looking towards the release and future technical breakdowns.

Yea this getting derailed fast.

I think my last comment on this phone is this:

Looks nice, I admire Samsung for their direction thus far, it doesn't fit my needs so I won't be considering it. I do however think it is a good phone and I will be looking towards the release and future technical breakdowns.

Same here. I can't even consider it if I can't root it on Verizon, which will probably be the case at least for the first few months like the GS5. I think it's the best phone to replace my wife's GS4 so far though. I'll still consider Samsung for her even though her GS4 has been complete garbage since being on 4.4.4, at least on standby battery life. No matter what I do, wipe or disable, it will stay awake for 4+ hours while the display is off, so it still drains like 1%/5 mins with the display off.

Battery life is still the biggest question for the GS6, but so far it seems like the biggest jump from previous models, I think. Another thing that annoys me about Samsung is that they have considerably different versions of their TW UI across all of their previous flagship phones. TW on the GS6 is a bit different than TW on the Note 4, which is a bit different on the GS5, which is a lot different than the GS4 and older phones. Why can't they have a consistent UI across all of their phones like most other OEMs do? If the feature isn't dependent on the hardware, then the phone should have the same features and look as the latest model when it gets update.

Galaxy S6 to outperform Galaxy S4 and shatter records
Samsung Exec sees Galaxy S6 outperforming Galaxy S4

http://www.christiantoday.com/artic...utperform.galaxy.s4.shatter.records/49293.htm

To be honest, the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge will probably double, if not, triple Galaxy S4 sales.

Demand is surprisingly high in Japan and Korea. Even in the US, all of my friends are going crazy about the S6 / S6 Edge. Most of them are Galaxy S3 and S4 owners, but some of them have iPhones as well.

2015 may be Samsung's best year ever.

Of course the GS6 will outperform the GS4.. it's 2 years newer, lol. I think they mean outsell, not sure why they think those two are synonyms or can be used interchangeably.

But yeah, I expect sales to destroy GS5 sales and most likely exceed the GS4 with the radical redesign of their phone this year. Despite the initial gimmicky impressions that the Note Edge and S6 Edge gave, I think it will probably sell as well, if not better than the S6 even at a higher price point. It seems to be catching the eye of the general consumer as well as tech enthusiasts/journalists. MKBHD even said he likes the Edge design and prefers it over the normal S6 and he's one of the most respected and unbiased (on Android at least) tech reviewers out there.

I'll admit as well that if there's somehow root available for the S6 and/or S6 Edge on Verizon, I'll be pretty tempted to pick it up as well. But no root is a dealbreaker for me and if previous Samsung phones are any indicator, it's not going to happen, or at least for a while after launch.

Of course the GS6 will outperform the GS4.. it's 2 years newer, lol. I think they mean outsell, not sure why they think those two are synonyms or can be used interchangeably.

But yeah, I expect sales to destroy GS5 sales and most likely exceed the GS4 with the radical redesign of their phone this year. Despite the initial gimmicky impressions that the Note Edge and S6 Edge gave, I think it will probably sell as well, if not better than the S6 even at a higher price point. It seems to be catching the eye of the general consumer as well as tech enthusiasts/journalists. MKBHD even said he likes the Edge design and prefers it over the normal S6 and he's one of the most respected and unbiased (on Android at least) tech reviewers out there.

I'll admit as well that if there's somehow root available for the S6 and/or S6 Edge on Verizon, I'll be pretty tempted to pick it up as well. But no root is a dealbreaker for me and if previous Samsung phones are any indicator, it's not going to happen, or at least for a while after launch.

Agreed.
Not only is it 2 years newer, but all those folks with a 2 year contract on Verizon or ATT are in the mood for a new phone.
The iPhone 6 has been out for a while so the "wow" factor is gone.
The S6 has the latest kid on the block going for it, so I expect it will sell very well.

My daughter is a great example.
All she talks about is this phone. She loves her S4 and is due for an upgrade.
She watched the reveal live stream and took notes.:eek:

I don't think the GS6 can outsell the 4. A lot has changed in the phone market. The biggest change comes from the galaxy note line which has cannibalized a ton of galaxy S sales. Other issues are the stagnating phone market. Android makers ship a billion phones a year that is 1/7th of the earths entire population. You simply cannot sustain that. Second the major markets like the USA are seeing a lot of customers move over to plans that give you a discount when you are out of contract. So many people do not see the need to roll over updates every 2 years anymore. On top of that phones are of course good enough now days for many people. And in minor markets the cheaper Chinese competitors are gaining a lot of traction by offering a good prices. And some indicate the galaxy S line is going up not down in price.

Also I would put money down to say there is no way it can triple or even double galaxy S4 sales that is ridiculous. When the GS4 was released the galaxy note line was just starting to get going the galaxy note 2 had finally released and wide scale acceptance of the phablet would just now for the first time ever be established. At the time Samsung was the king everyone was talking about and its competition had been decimated. Now the competition is getting stronger.

Last edited:
Galaxy S6 to outperform Galaxy S4 and shatter records
Samsung Exec sees Galaxy S6 outperforming Galaxy S4

http://www.christiantoday.com/artic...utperform.galaxy.s4.shatter.records/49293.htm

To be honest, the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge will probably double, if not, triple Galaxy S4 sales.

Demand is surprisingly high in Japan and Korea. Even in the US, all of my friends are going crazy about the S6 / S6 Edge. Most of them are Galaxy S3 and S4 owners, but some of them have iPhones as well.

2015 may be Samsung's best year ever.

I'd hope that a Samsung exec would be confident in the GS6! It'd be pretty disheartening if he merely said "yeah, we'll be happy if we even match our old results."

The GS6 is definitely the most interesting Galaxy since the GS3, and I'm pretty eager to try it. Having said this, let's not count our chickens before they've hatched, shall we? After all, Samsung was initially certain that the GS5 would conquer the smartphone world, and we know how that panned out. It still faces a big threat from Chinese OEMs on the low end, and it's still true that Apple has erased Samsung's biggest marketing advantage (screen size) at the high end. The future will not be like the past.

You're going for the reach-around there buddy. Truth is someone pro-HTC tried to make a mountain out of a probable design decision to have a gap to prevent accidental touch registration cupping the phone and I merely pointed out what a real touch issue is. Then, it resulted in lengthy fairy tales to defend HTC when simply following the thread clearly paints a product fault. Nevertheless, it's beneficial for consumer awareness so misconceptions aren't repeated over and over ad nausea like Aluminum 6003 is premium, you don't need more than 1GB magic ram, iPad is a PC replacement, etc. That way you're more knowledgeable than the media and general public when you go on a different site. Imagine if the majority continue to believe the world is flat.

iPhone 6s/6s+ will crush any sales numbers the S6/S6 Edge achieves.

Just chumming the water... :p

Speaking of chumming the waters one of the funniest things about all this? No one knows. Because neither apple nor Samsung release numbers on specific handset sales. So we all we ever are capable of doing is hoping some exec slips a random number in a conference call or talk. Then typically we have no way of actually comparing comparable numbers we just make fudgimates. And my guess is that in all cases the high end handsets are lower than people think otherwise apple and Samsung would be bragging the shit out of it.

20 million pre-order for S6/S6 edge (15 for s6 / 5 for edge)
keep in mind, this is from carriers around the world
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2015/03/133_174831.html

looks like carriers are betting big on new samsung phones....

Like you said, it's from the carriers, not customers. Shipments and sales to real buyers can sometimes be very different things. For example, Samsung had to admit in court that it didn't sell nearly as many early Galaxy Tabs as it shipped. These aren't really pre-orders so much as companies stocking up for the months ahead. They'll probably sell most of them, but not all at once.

Apple doesn't reveal direct sales, but it's more transparent than most in that it says both how many iPhones it's shipping and how many weeks of inventory it's keeping (it purposefully keeps some to handle repairs and supply hiccups). If there isn't a spike in inventory levels, you know Apple sold almost everything it shipped.

Like you said, it's from the carriers, not customers. Shipments and sales to real buyers can sometimes be very different things. For example, Samsung had to admit in court that it didn't sell nearly as many early Galaxy Tabs as it shipped. These aren't really pre-orders so much as companies stocking up for the months ahead. They'll probably sell most of them, but not all at once.

Apple doesn't reveal direct sales, but it's more transparent than most in that it says both how many iPhones it's shipping and how many weeks of inventory it's keeping (it purposefully keeps some to handle repairs and supply hiccups). If there isn't a spike in inventory levels, you know Apple sold almost everything it shipped.

Its a good sign for Samsung that OEM's have a large interest in it. But that doesn't mean they are record breaking anything.

20 million orders already.

I guess the 8 million orders in Japan was true.

20 million is a record for Samsung... the previous record was 10 million orders by carriers.

Note that these aren't pre-orders but correlate well with pre-order numbers (e.g. 10 million orders by carriers for Samsung Galaxy S4 in 2013 correlated to 8 million pre-orders by customers).
EDIT: actually the Galaxy S4 in 2013 had 10 million shipments one month after its release.

The Galaxy S6 shipments of 20 million units before its actual release is phenomenal.

So the number of pre-orders should be at least 15 million pre-orders, possibly even more.

Note that pre-orders haven't actually even started for the Galaxy S6 in the majority of countries outside Korea and Japan. I believe only the Netherlands has officially started pre-orders in Europe. All other countries are starting pre-orders in a few weeks time.

So we can say for sure:
  • The 20 million Galaxy S6 shipments are record-breaking for Samsung, the previous record was held by the Galaxy S4 with 10 million shipments. The difference is even more pronounced considering that the Galaxy S6 numbers are before the actually phone gets released whereas the Galaxy S4 numbers are the total shipments 1 month after release.
  • Galaxy S6 shipments may outpace iPhone 6 shipments especially within Korea and Japan where high tech and specs are highly emphasized.

The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus so far has recorded 54 million shipments, an impressive number, however I think it's likely that the Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge will overtake Apple again.

I honestly didn't expect this happening, but I guess Samsung's marketing power is going on overdrive.
And what's more surprising is that the Galaxy S6 Edge shipments take up 25% of total Galaxy S6 shipments. Certainly shocking considering everyone thought the Galaxy S6 Edge was a niche product.

Apple really needs to focus on its tech. It gets old tech from TSMC (not a problem considering lag is rare on the iPhone 6), but its display is way too low tech. I think Apple's recent moves with partnering with Samsung for its mobile processor chips are a good sign. I think Apple should really buy some curved OLED displays from Samsung, considering the Galaxy S6 Edge is selling so well.

IMO Apple can't rest on its laurels forever.

Modern people want technological advancement.

Last edited:
Is there any wonder?

This is one seriously good looking phone. And coming from the only other company (besides Apple) that (appears) to have a HUGE following.... these will sell in droves. After the S5, Samsung deserves to sell a ton of these.

P.S. HTC ALSO deserves to sell a ton of M9s (another genuinely gorgeous phone) however, we all know they won't. :(

I honestly didn't expect this happening, but I guess Samsung's marketing power is going on overdrive.
And what's more surprising is that the Galaxy S6 Edge shipments take up 25% of total Galaxy S6 shipments. Certainly shocking considering everyone thought the Galaxy S6 Edge was a niche product.

I wouldn't call it shocking (assuming the figures are true). The Note Edge was a higher-end version of an already expensive product, with a feature was very obviously experimental and niche. The GS6 edge is really just a prettier version of the regular GS6. You'll pay a lot, but not so much that you question your life choices.

Apple really needs to focus on its tech. It gets old tech from TSMC (not a problem considering lag is rare on the iPhone 6), but its display is way too low tech. I think Apple's recent moves with partnering with Samsung for its mobile processor chips are a good sign. I think Apple should really buy some curved OLED displays from Samsung, considering the Galaxy S6 Edge is selling so well.

IMO Apple can't rest on its laurels forever.

Modern people want technological advancement.

Apple has used Samsung for manufacturing its CPUs since the OG iPhone, including for the A8 in the iPhone 6. Also, I'd disagree that the display is "way too low tech." They're lower resolution than they'd ideally be, but they're still good looking -- the color accuracy and perceived sharpness (due to pixel alignment) are superb. It'd be sweet to see a high-res OLED on an iPhone, although I'd like to see how that Quad HD panel on the GS6 affects battery life and color accuracy before declaring it the victor.

And remember, the GS6 edge is selling well to carriers right now, not to real people (i.e. the only ones that matter). The boring reality is that we probably won't get a true feel for sales until we see Q2 estimates and Samsung earnings.

I wouldn't call it shocking (assuming the figures are true). The Note Edge was a higher-end version of an already expensive product, with a feature was very obviously experimental and niche. The GS6 edge is really just a prettier version of the regular GS6. You'll pay a lot, but not so much that you question your life choices.

Apple has used Samsung for manufacturing its CPUs since the OG iPhone, including for the A8 in the iPhone 6. Also, I'd disagree that the display is "way too low tech." They're lower resolution than they'd ideally be, but they're still good looking -- the color accuracy and perceived sharpness (due to pixel alignment) are superb. It'd be sweet to see a high-res OLED on an iPhone, although I'd like to see how that Quad HD panel on the GS6 affects battery life and color accuracy before declaring it the victor.

And remember, the GS6 edge is selling well to carriers right now, not to real people (i.e. the only ones that matter). The boring reality is that we probably won't get a true feel for sales until we see Q2 estimates and Samsung earnings.

Shipments usually correlate with pre-order estimates. For example, the Galaxy S4, Samsung's best seller on record, shipped 10 million units within a month of its release and pre-orders amounted 8 million.
The Galaxy S6 already having 20 million shipments when it hasn't even be released yet says a lot about pre-order numbers. Yeah, pre-orders start in a few weeks in North America and most other places, but pre-orders have started in Korea & Japan and some European countries (I think the Netherlands?).

There are already 8 million pre-orders/interest registrations for the Galaxy S6 in Japan alone... another 7 million in Korea.

God knows how many there are in the United States. 15 million? 30 million?

There are already 8 million pre-orders/interest registrations for the Galaxy S6 in Japan alone... another 7 million in Korea.

God knows how many there are in the United States. 15 million? 30 million?

Interest registrations mean absolutely nothing. All that usually involves is firing off an email address and getting a canned message when the device is available. As for the US? Well, pre-orders haven't really started here, and it's not going to be that big just due to the population (and a pro-Apple focus in the US).

Look, I know you're excited for the GS6, and it's potentially very sweet! But you have to temper that excitement and go by what we actually know, not what's rumored or what you'd like to imagine. We don't for sure know that Samsung has 20 million phones on their way to carriers, and we don't know how many people will actually buy those phones on day one. The company currently has its back to the wall with Apple trouncing it at the high end, and Chinese OEMs eating its lunch at the low end. A strong new Galaxy S is a big step in the right direction, but it's not a lock by any means.

Back