Samsung Galaxy S6

CHANG3D

Supreme [H]ardness
Don't have a legitimate source for leaked hardware specs yets but I think it's safe to assume this:
1440p
3GB of RAM

Now for the exciting news from legitimate sources:
http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/arti...rface-touchwiz-become-less-featured-galaxy-s6

Samsung is expecting to make a HUGE change for TouchWiz. They promise that it will be as smooth as the Nexus 6.

They will be removing gimmicky bloat, simplifying the UI, and reducing the memory footprint.

Thank goodness. Maybe this will be the year that Samsung wins me back. Let's hope they also won't be using stupid cheap feeling plastic. (If they stick to plastic, at least make it feel more solid like Nokia/Microsoft.) Rumors have suggested some metal, but those are rumors.

Last edited:
Holy shit, they actually listed to all the journalists that reviewed their phone and users who complained about it. I'll believe it when I see it though. I know they have to keep their own custom skin in order to differentiate themselves from other OEMs, but I don't see them dropping a lot of their "features" in order to debloat TW. They kind of pigeonholed themselves by having a lot of excessive options/features in past releases, because they're probably going to upset 5% of their user base that use them if they drop some stuff, heh.

I'm pretty set on the M9 still though. Still love my M8 and it's near perfect for me. Only improvements they need to make is camera and battery, which are still more than adequate for me, but it kept them from sweeping 2014 as best phone, IMO (though MKBHD still named it best phone of 2014).

I have no idea why these big manufacturers spent so much time developing their own skin.

Samsung's brand is their OLED. Their battery life. The pure fact that they run an OS that plainly functions as a handheld computer.

Every skin is garbage because I'd bet that over 80% of all android phones never even change the stock launcher that comes with the phone. And somehwere around 33-50% of them never even change their background.

The value of owning an android has nothing to do with how the phone is skinned out of the box. Use your resources elsewhere.

And by "legitimate sources" you mean totally sketchy, right? "Business" in the name does not a legit authority make (it's hard to tell if there's sarcasm here).

It could be true, but remember that this is officially silly season for Galaxy S rumors... and I'd be very cautious about reports that say "all the problems hardcore fans complained about? Fixed!" Especially from Samsung, the company that to this day is loading even smartwatches with sluggish software and gimmicks. I know Samsung uses the S series to reboot its software each year, but I'll be surprised if there are more than small gestures toward streamlining TouchWiz.

And by "legitimate sources" you mean totally sketchy, right? "Business" in the name does not a legit authority make (it's hard to tell if there's sarcasm here).

It could be true, but remember that this is officially silly season for Galaxy S rumors... and I'd be very cautious about reports that say "all the problems hardcore fans complained about? Fixed!" Especially from Samsung, the company that to this day is loading even smartwatches with sluggish software and gimmicks. I know Samsung uses the S series to reboot its software each year, but I'll be surprised if there are more than small gestures toward streamlining TouchWiz.

Maybe that might be the case if they were making tons of money or had double-digit growth. Right now, though, it's not. They can't crack the premium brand ceiling that Apple has and Chinese companies like Xiaomi are chewing into the low end markets in lots of places. They need to throw some long balls to break out of their current decline on both ends.

Maybe that might be the case if they were making tons of money or had double-digit growth. Right now, though, it's not. They can't crack the premium brand ceiling that Apple has and Chinese companies like Xiaomi are chewing into the low end markets in lots of places. They need to throw some long balls to break out of their current decline on both ends.

That's definitely what Samsung should do, and I suppose I shouldn't rule anything out. I'm just skeptical of its willingness to change what's arguably the company's defining strategy: that urge to add as many new features as possible, no matter how useful they may be. Does it really know what it means to pull features back, or to focus on ease of use and software performance?

They can't crack the premium brand ceiling that Apple has

That will never happen, Apple only has one device and one device only. Samsung is competing with a whole ecosystem of Android phones that collectively is larger than apple and thats most likely just the highend phones, the lowerend really shouldn't count. Why do companies strive to beat apple when it will never happen?

Based upon what I have heard, the S6 is a very tempting upgrade from my S3.

Anything out now should be an tempting upgrade

My S3 does everything I need without a hiccup. I'm only currently upgrading to give it to my Dad who hates the ever-living hell out of his new iPhone. I wonder if the S6 will have to dedicate 25% of it's RAM to Knox...

I was taking a jab at Knox because of the obscene amount of RAM and battery it used on launch. It rendered my wife's then newly released S4 completely useless for 3 weeks until it was patched. It still uses a healthy chuck of it.

I was taking a jab at Knox because of the obscene amount of RAM and battery it used on launch. It rendered my wife's then newly released S4 completely useless for 3 weeks until it was patched. It still uses a healthy chuck of it.

Why not disable it then? Its not required

It could be true, but remember that this is officially silly season for Galaxy S rumors...
Mmm... okay. Business Korea is sketchy in the sense that Wall Street Journal is sketchy... Is this reverse sarcasm?!?

Mmm... okay. Business Korea is sketchy in the sense that Wall Street Journal is sketchy... Is this reverse sarcasm?!?

No, I'm saying that a serious company name and an air of respectability don't automatically make a rumor accurate. The only things that matter (if it's not a leak with hard evidence, of course) are corroboration and track record. WSJ leaks are far more trustworthy on that front. To start, they're often followed up by "me too" leaks from other reputable outlets, like Bloomberg or the New York Times; where there's enough smoke, there's fire. More importantly, the WSJ has an exceptional record on its own. Virtually every rumor it posts comes true, and you can tell that it only writes about them when it's confident.

How many BusinessKorea rumors have you seen? And if you've seen any, how many of them came true? That's what I thought! It's not to say that this Galaxy S6 rumor is definitively false, but don't let the urge to believe things you want to be true cloud your ability to determine what's likely to be true.

Business Korea cited an "industry source" who was quoted to have said, "We are aiming to get rid of unnecessary functions and simplify our UI at the level of Google's Nexus 6." From that quote, we deduced everything else, such as removing gimmicky bloat and reducing memory footprint. For all that we know, Samsung could be removing shitty stuff and adding new shittier stuff, and the source could be also lying about simplifying the UI. But I still don't have any reason to not believe that Business Korea cited a "true industry source" and not some "Internet Joe from China/Korea" mostly due to Business Korea's trustworthy history. Although Business Korea doesn't typically deal with rumors, this just make this source all the more credible, because they are suggesting that this is not a rumor, but rather some real information that they gathered from someone in the industry.

Business Korea is one of the most trusted and popular business news magazine in all of Asia. If you're going to call out Jack H. Park of Business Korea, I suggest you do your research and dispute his credibility and/or the credibility of the entire magazine. I would personally enjoy one media editor calling out another...

And you can start here:
http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/search/node/Jack H. Park

GO!

Last edited:
How long has Samsung been talking about lightening Touchwiz...and so far it hasn't happened?

S6 will follow on Note 4 as the most locked down walled garden handset yet, in part thanks to the stock Lollipop kernel stripping out root scripts.

Let's see a GPE edition of the S6. For $650 I'd buy that over the Nexus 6.

Sadly the Galaxy S6 on ATT won't even get root, let alone custom ROM's :(

You know your phone isn't good if you need to root it. Simple as that.

No one needs to root, but rooting allows you to unlock more of your phone. The only reason rooting is locked by default is for security reasons

You're wrong. My phone is great (LG G3), I rooted it to get unlimited wifi tethering :D
rooting to add features such as tethering and ad-block is one thing, and rooting to remove "features" is another. Can we all agree with that?

You know your phone isn't good if you need to root it. Simple as that.

I would argue that its the OS implementation that sucks rather than how well the hardware performs. Both can be crappy though, but most of the time I could blame the OEM and/or carrier for overloading a great phone with crapware.

I personally like TouchWiz. I go back to vanilla android and I get the same feeling I get when I'm using old technology- that feeling you're having to do extra steps.

I don't like that they included so many dumb features that I don't see anyone ever using. The eye scroll thing that only works with the default browser than no one uses, for example.

I'll upgrade S5-S6 no matter what, but I'm hoping for OIS. It makes a tremendous difference in image quality on the Note 4.

I would argue that its the OS implementation that sucks rather than how well the hardware performs. Both can be crappy though, but most of the time I could blame the OEM and/or carrier for overloading a great phone with crapware.

I completely agree, i actually love samsung devices they're the best for everything except speakers. I would buy one if they didn't bloat the phone up so much. Why can everyone follow in the footsteps of Sony and Motorola with their minimal software?

S6 rumored to have whole fingerprint touch scanner (like Huawei Ascend and iPhone) unlike the swipe scanner in S5/Note 4.

Its shaping up to be yet another awesome phone and all we're going to hear is endless whining about TouchWiz.

The real problem with the phone is US carriers like Verizon and AT&T who insist on these security measures and gimped features. And Google which makes it very hard to use their software - Google can't even do a good job of getting Lollipop to run on Nexus 6, its full of bugs.

Its shaping up to be yet another awesome phone and all we're going to hear is endless whining about TouchWiz.
If Samsung does TouchWiz well, we wouldn't be complaining. So tell that to Samsung. Luckily, our prayers might be heard this year.

The last time TouchWiz wasn't an overbloated mess is in the Galaxy SII series.

I have a Note 4 and had a S3. I complain about TW too, but the constant negative criticism about it everywhere is too much. No one ever talks about the work Samsung puts into it, things like the camera, optimizations for battery life, ultra low power mode etc are all really good.

I have a Note 4 and had a S3. I complain about TW too, but the constant negative criticism about it everywhere is too much. No one ever talks about the work Samsung puts into it, things like the camera, optimizations for battery life, ultra low power mode etc are all really good.
What is this? War on Christmas?

More people don't recognize the "good work" HTC, Motorola, and LG have been doing the the past two years despite majority of the critics preferring HTC or Motorola thanks to the Samsung marketing blitzkrieg. Samsung comes up on top despite their reviews. Oh, whine about people complaining about TouchWiz!

Samsung Galaxy S6 battery to be non-removable, supposed glass back to blame
http://phandroid.com/2015/01/19/samsung-galaxy-s6-battery-design-rumor/

Design over function now :rolleyes:

Glass back is not good IMO. My Nexus 4 had a glass back, and was one of the only phones I ever owned that got damaged and shattered. And remember the iPhone 4 series, always heard issues with the glass back.

I am still curious how the revised Touchwiz will be look and operate on the S6, they are saying will be streamlined to perform as smooth as a Nexus device. We shall see.

I'd actually say the camera software is one of Samsung's historic weaknesses. The hardware is generally good (ISOCELL in particular kicked things up a notch), and the color balance is nice... but up until the Note 4, there were a lot of teething problems. Poor low light performance is pretty common, and there's a tendency to blur shots (even in broad daylight) if you so much as tap the screen the wrong way. And of course, it's a prime showcase for Samsung's love of badly executed gimmicks. See "eraser," a mode that removes unwanted people in the background... but you have to turn it on before there's a problem.

It's a question of restraint, really. For all the clever things that Samsung does, it seems like there are just as many items added purely to inflate the feature checklist. The GS5 was the first device in years where Samsung showed something approaching restraint!

Samsung Galaxy S6 battery to be non-removable, supposed glass back to blame
http://phandroid.com/2015/01/19/samsung-galaxy-s6-battery-design-rumor/

Design over function now :rolleyes:

Glass back is not good IMO. My Nexus 4 had a glass back, and was one of the only phones I ever owned that got damaged and shattered. And remember the iPhone 4 series, always heard issues with the glass back.

I am still curious how the revised Touchwiz will be look and operate on the S6, they are saying will be streamlined to perform as smooth as a Nexus device. We shall see.

This stupid rumor has resurfaced every iteration since the S3. First it was full aluminum, then acrylic/plastic body now glass. The only Samsung Phones that doesn't have a removable back is the Indian phone and the Sports version. I wouldn't expect anything different.

I wouldn't expect anything different.

Given the public knowledge about how badly Samsung's mobile division has been doing lately..they're bound to do something differently. Whether that is glass back and non-removable battery or not is anyone's guess.

What is known is that what their mobile division has been cranking out for a year now is not paying the bills. And people in charge get really fussy when that happens, and especially when it becomes public knowledge.

and there's a tendency to blur shots (even in broad daylight) if you so much as tap the screen the wrong way.

FUD as usual. Do you even own a Note?

One of many taken with Note 3 bobbing in water using automatic with default settings.

20131029_112941_zps39840d6f.jpg~original

I'd actually say the camera software is one of Samsung's historic weaknesses. The hardware is generally good (ISOCELL in particular kicked things up a notch), and the color balance is nice... but up until the Note 4, there were a lot of teething problems. Poor low light performance is pretty common, and there's a tendency to blur shots (even in broad daylight) if you so much as tap the screen the wrong way. And of course, it's a prime showcase for Samsung's love of badly executed gimmicks. See "eraser," a mode that removes unwanted people in the background... but you have to turn it on before there's a problem.

It's a question of restraint, really. For all the clever things that Samsung does, it seems like there are just as many items added purely to inflate the feature checklist. The GS5 was the first device in years where Samsung showed something approaching restraint!

The camera has never been bad, its just that with the S5, Alpha and Note 4 its that much better, in fact the best smartphone camera according to multiple independent reviews.

And speaking of gimmicks, they don't affect the base camera performance, and I'm sure some people find them useful. Its the usual complaint against TouchWiz and one I agree with.

In general I find a big gulf between opinion of Samsung products online, and what actual users experience. In real life no one gives a damn about the things we nitpick over like lag, looks, updates. People buy phones based on marketing, physical looks and price, and only care that things like Facebook, camera etc work well enough.

The camera has never been bad, its just that with the S5, Alpha and Note 4 its that much better, in fact the best smartphone camera according to multiple independent reviews.

And speaking of gimmicks, they don't affect the base camera performance, and I'm sure some people find them useful. Its the usual complaint against TouchWiz and one I agree with.

In general I find a big gulf between opinion of Samsung products online, and what actual users experience. In real life no one gives a damn about the things we nitpick over like lag, looks, updates. People buy phones based on marketing, physical looks and price, and only care that things like Facebook, camera etc work well enough.

Not a bad write up.

Given the public knowledge about how badly Samsung's mobile division has been doing lately..they're bound to do something differently. Whether that is glass back and non-removable battery or not is anyone's guess.

What is known is that what their mobile division has been cranking out for a year now is not paying the bills. And people in charge get really fussy when that happens, and especially when it becomes public knowledge.

The mobile division makes many billions in profits in a year. Profit means more than paying the bills.

If they have visions of the old days dancing in their heads, they can keep dreaming. The market has dramatically changed and cheaper devices are more than powerful enough for average people. There is downward pressure away from superphones like the S series, and not to mention the competition is a lot better than it was years ago.

Like PCs, smartphones will soon be a low-margin business.

Back