Samsung Galaxy S5 Watch Thread

I have had s4 since launch. But I've had the same feelings after seeing this s5 leak. I was hoping it would be more different. Looks so similar, and in my opinion uglier than the s4.
I'll wait and watch the whole unpacked event first but, I am pretty confident now that I will try out the next gen iPhone.
Probably get the htc M8 for now (despite the colossal bezel) and then Jump to the iPhone once it's released. I'm just so sick of plastic.

The Galaxy S5 is official.

And... it's a pretty mild upgrade. Still 1080p, smaller screen than predicted, still 32-bit; the big deals are the camera and the fingerprint reader (which does look like it works well, mind you). I think it'll still be quite nice, but this means that Apple, HTC and others won't be panicking. Bring on the "all new" HTC One and other phones that may be a little more original.

That gear fit looks like what the gear itself should have been. In for one. :)

What's the SoC, battery size, and display (pentile)? Also, does it still have a removable battery and expandable storage?

What's the SoC, battery size, and display (pentile)? Also, does it still have a removable battery and expandable storage?

Snapdragon 801 (i.e. higher-clocked Snapdragon 800), 2,800mAh battery, and a 1080p Super AMOLED screen (not clear if it's a tangible improvement in quality). The phone is still as expandable as before.

So flipping confused. Haven't we been hearing for months now that the screen was going to be 5.25 and QHD? How could all those sites have been wrong? Is there a prime model that they've yet to discuss? So very confused.

Glad I picked up a Note 3 a month or so ago. I think I'll be sticking with it until the Note 4 is released as the S5 is much less than I had hoped for.

Snapdragon 801 (i.e. higher-clocked Snapdragon 800), 2,800mAh battery, and a 1080p Super AMOLED screen (not clear if it's a tangible improvement in quality). The phone is still as expandable as before.

Link? I didn't see any of that in their announcement, at least on Droid Life.

Camera sounds great.

Overall the phone sounds like they improved the S4 in many ways. Me want real bad.

This was even more underwhelming than the S4 reveal. Think about all the hype and things they could've done, and its just a minor spec bump with all the focus on Gear. Plus it will have locked bootloader, won't really be any faster than the S4 in real life use, and there isn't enough info about new TouchWiz.

Wow! I'm sold on the S5 (even though I already own Note 3) and Gear Fit (gorgeous and perfect use of curved display). Not so much on the Gear 2.

I noticed they implemented the fingerprint scanner correctly and more securely than iPhone 5s. It looks like it uses a strip that requires a swipe versus leaving a full fingerprint on the iPhone 5s than can be lifted to gain unauthorized access.

Wow, what a massive let-down this is :( A slightly bigger and uglier s4 :p

At least I don't have any upgrade urges now :)

Wow, what a massive let-down this is :( A slightly bigger and uglier s4 :p

At least I don't have any upgrade urges now :)

Seriously though. The current look was fine on the GS3, and maybe even the GS4, but you don't keep that shit for more than 2 generations. It was never an amazing design to begin with, so they completely missed the opportunity here. It just seems like a "that'll do" phone.

Wow! I'm sold on the S5 (even though I already own Note 3) and Gear Fit (gorgeous and perfect use of curved display). Not so much on the Gear 2.

I noticed they implemented the fingerprint scanner correctly and more securely than iPhone 5s. It looks like it uses a strip that requires a swipe versus leaving a full fingerprint on the iPhone 5s than can be lifted to gain unauthorized access.

You do realize that the likelihood of both having a usable print on the 5s and being in a position where someone has the tools and know-how to get it is so infinitesimally small as to be a non-factor, right?

We know, we know, you're just looking for another excuse to dump on Apple, reality be damned.

Does any site have photos of the new TouchWiz UI? All I've seen is the new settings menu.

Z2 looks like a MUCH better phone than this, but its never going to be sold on contract in the US, right?

Eh well, I was waiting for this before upgrading, disappointed ...

IPhone 5 it is, first apple phone for me.

You do realize that the likelihood of both having a usable print on the 5s and being in a position where someone has the tools and know-how to get it is so infinitesimally small as to be a non-factor, right?

Like when you lose your phone and the whole finger print is right there on the stained glass from last use? Throw it inside a mini-Faraday box to block signal and they're golden.

Like when you lose your phone and the whole finger print is right there on the stained glass from last use? Throw it inside a mini-Faraday box to block signal and they're golden.

You make it sound like my phone doesn't contain easily harvestable fingerprints elsewhere like on the touch screen, or on the battery itself.

How Samsung has not ditched that crappy fake-leather coated plastic back by now is beyond me.

What difference when people put a case on. Even on the recycled aluminum phones they wrap a beer holder around it.

Not surprisingly, you purposefully ignored what I actually said. I said that the chances of someone stealing your phone, getting a usable print and having the tools/knowledge to do something with it are virtually nil. This is not a glaring security hole -- you cannot dispute that fact.

Seriously though. The current look was fine on the GS3, and maybe even the GS4, but you don't keep that shit for more than 2 generations. It was never an amazing design to begin with, so they completely missed the opportunity here. It just seems like a "that'll do" phone.

Well, when you have sold as many "S" phones as Samsung has you don't want to change things too much, which is a good thing as far as I am concerned.

Like I have said before in this thread, the S4 was IMO pretty much what I want and need, now the S5 takes that already great design and keeps the best and builds on it.

I look forward to the camera tests and then bring on the S5 as I cannot stand iOS any longer.

Not surprisingly, you purposefully ignored what I actually said. I said that the chances of someone stealing your phone, getting a usable print and having the tools/knowledge to do something with it are virtually nil. This is not a glaring security hole -- you cannot dispute that fact.

That's the easiest part. It was broken two days after the iPhone 5s went on sale.

http://www.ccc.de/en/updates/2013/ccc-breaks-apple-touchid

Samsung, What The Fuck :rolleyes: :confused:

I did not think the S5 would be this. I thought they were going to a whole new design like something similar to HTC One, or iPhone 5, metal industrial designs. And a 1440p screen. And all new Touchwiz theme look.

To me this S5 looks like a S4-1/2, just an minor update to the S4. It's still 1080p with a lesser PPI, which is ok with me, but not ground breaking like I was expecting. Touchwiz still looks nasty and like from the Gingerbread days.

And the overall phone size is bigger, which is not good. The S4 is as large as I want to go for one handed use. If I want a large phone, then for sure I would just get the Note 3.

If the S5 didn't match the leaks and rumors, makes me wonder about the iPhone 6, it might just be another iPhone 5 / 5S with better hardware, not all groundbreaking new.

What difference when people put a case on. Even on the recycled aluminum phones they wrap a beer holder around it.

If you had an expensive beautiful phone, why would you cover it up with a cheap crappy case? I don't drive with my car cover on, regardless of the minimal extra protection it offers.

A phone with a beer holder though.... you might be onto something.

If you had an expensive beautiful phone, why would you cover it up with a cheap crappy case? I don't drive with my car cover on, regardless of the minimal extra protection it offers.

A phone with a beer holder though.... you might be onto something.

Because adding a case to a phone doesn't add 'minimal' protection, its a big deal and can mean the difference between the display cracking or not. Do you ride a bike without a helmet on?

The Galaxy S phones and iPhones don't sell because the design is unchanged, they sell because of marketing $$$. Thus I don't get the argument of 'why change something that works'.

Samsung could easily have taken a bit more risk, the phone would still sell. Its much more likely their design/fab department didn't really want to experiment or that some higher ups/management killed any thoughts of a major redesign.

Back