Samsung 950 PRO [Official Thread]

Since heat seems to be a concern....has anyone tried, for example, editing 4k video from this drive? Any related instability, or long term failure concerns with consistent read/write (specifically for the 850, since the 950 just released)

as i said I ran crystal diskmark which is far more aggressive especially during 4K high queue depth tests with my GPU being directly above it running F@H while OC and OVed.

So I just got the 950 Pro finally, I've installed it and so far so good. It's recognized on my board and in Windows 10 (installed on my SATA SSD), I installed the NVMe Samsung driver and that's about it. Now I want to clone my Windows 10 install to the 950 Pro, but I'm not sure if that would (easily) work coming from a SATA AHCI device with CSM enabled to a PCIe NVMe device which needs CSM disabled for intended use.

I'm going to try cloning it and startup repair will undoubtibly kick in. Does anyone have experience with a likewise change ?

EDIT: cloning with Macrium Reflect Free worked, it booted up without any hitch. Now I'm going to try disabling CSM but it was so fast booting up, I don't know if it will matter much.

Last edited:
So I just got the 950 Pro finally, I've installed it and so far so good. It's recognized on my board and in Windows 10 (installed on my SATA SSD), I installed the NVMe Samsung driver and that's about it. Now I want to clone my Windows 10 install to the 950 Pro, but I'm not sure if that would (easily) work coming from a SATA AHCI device with CSM enabled to a PCIe NVMe device which needs CSM disabled for intended use.

I'm going to try cloning it and startup repair will undoubtibly kick in. Does anyone have experience with a likewise change ?

EDIT: cloning with Macrium Reflect Free worked, it booted up without any hitch. Now I'm going to try disabling CSM but it was so fast booting up, I don't know if it will matter much.

wasn't disabling CSM only needed if you had long boots? If that's the case seems like you dont need to.

Since so many people complained about the 950 Pro having slow POST, I thought it was the cause of the CSM being enabled. Apparently it isn't so straight-forward.

please post your last bios time screenshot:

LL

on the system in signature the last bios time is 18.2 seconds :eek: :eek: :eek:

My last BIOS Time in on Windows 10 was 23.5 seconds.
Why does it feel like my 840 Pro was so much faster?

please post your last bios time screenshot:

LL

on the system in signature the last bios time is 18.2 seconds :eek: :eek: :eek:

is that a 10 thing or does 7 have it? My boots are terrible but that's encryption for you :D but I rarely boot so my 5 min boots dont bother me much.

Is there any more precise info as to when the 1TB version might be coming, apart of 'in 2016'?

Is upgrading to this from a Vertex 4 worth it?

Windows is pretty fast now and I would be disappointed if this didn't really make a real world difference after spending a bit of money on it.

Is upgrading to this from a Vertex 4 worth it?

Windows is pretty fast now and I would be disappointed if this didn't really make a real world difference after spending a bit of money on it.

as stated a million times...whats your hardware and usage. Biggest limit currently is single thread so if you got the best single thread PC there maybe a benefit in more day to day activity but I cant confirm that yet because I haven't gotten to building my new skylake rig.

Certain programs can have big benefits even day to day but it depends on if they cause you tangible problems.

I personally notice Fallout 4 loading faster with the 950 Pro 512GB than my previous Samsung 830 250GB, which was no slouch. And I notice the two cables missing inside my case. That's about it.

I personally notice Fallout 4 loading faster with the 950 Pro 512GB than my previous Samsung 830 250GB, which was no slouch. And I notice the two cables missing inside my case. That's about it.

+1

I paid for better cable management in my NCASE :D

Grabbed one of these for the hell of it, installing it tonight.

What's the consensus on a Windows 10 install? Do it fresh or migrate with the Samsung software? And is the CSM feature I've read about a few times in here ASUS-specific? I don't see anything on my ASRock board.

Is there anybody who has installed the 950 Pro to M.2 slot in the backside of the motherboard?

Wonder how hot it gets in there...

Install went easy enough, though it took me a solid twenty minutes to figure out I had to boot my Win10 USB stick with UEFI.

Windows takes longer to boot than with my regular SSD, and I don't have any CSM options on my board (ASRock Z170 Pro4), so if anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it.

Install went easy enough, though it took me a solid twenty minutes to figure out I had to boot my Win10 USB stick with UEFI.

Windows takes longer to boot than with my regular SSD, and I don't have any CSM options on my board (ASRock Z170 Pro4), so if anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it.

if you dont ahve any CSM devices disable it in bios...also just leave your PC on....the 20 bucks a year wont kill you or the envirorment

if you dont ahve any CSM devices disable it in bios...also just leave your PC on....the 20 bucks a year wont kill you or the envirorment

It's more the point of it. It shouldn't be slower to boot than my old Crucial M4. :(

I'll keep messing around with it tomorrow. I'm probably missing a setting somewhere.

It's more the point of it. It shouldn't be slower to boot than my old Crucial M4. :(

I'll keep messing around with it tomorrow. I'm probably missing a setting somewhere.

its how NVMe is currently...not sure if its a MB or OS issue...it work itself out over the next few years but thats the problem with early adaption

Worth $200+? :D
Since I needed the extra capacity, the 325€ was well worth it, yes.

What's the consensus on a Windows 10 install? Do it fresh or migrate with the Samsung software? And is the CSM feature I've read about a few times in here ASUS-specific? I don't see anything on my ASRock board.
I cloned my drive with Macrium Reflect Free, it was fast and easy. The first thing I did was install the Samsung NVMe driver found on their website and reboot, so it gets loaded. Then I installed the latest Macrium Reflect and with both my SATA drive as Windows 10 boot and NVMe drive as "uninitialized", I started a Clone Disk operation in Macrium Reflect. After that, shut down, remove the SATA drive and boot up. It started without an issue.

My Asus M7I board has an equally fast boot with my previous SATA drive or the NVMe drive. I have Fast Boot disabled and CSM enabled, so it could go even faster. But at the moment it boots fast enough for me.

Just got one of these today to replace my old 256GB 840 Pro on an X99 Deluxe

Ran a quick benchmark, seems to be running well. Also my last boot says 25 seconds although I don't have Fast Boot enabled, not that concerned about boot speeds though, I run my system 24/7.

0dDb.png

In terms of daily usage, everything was already lightning quick to me on the 840 Pro, but heavy stuff like loading Photoshop, installing apps, running Windows Update etc definitely seems faster on the 950

Haven't gotten around to throwing my SQL databases on it yet. I work with some large datasets (100GB+), imagine I'll see some nice gains there. Pleased with the purchase overall.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9856/angelbird-wings-px1-m2-adapter-review-do-ssds-need-heatsinks/

Angelbird Wings PX1 M.2 PCIe adapter with heatsink, reviewed with the 950 Pro with and without the heatsink.

Part of the conclusion:
When introducing the 950 Pro, Samsung assurred us that it could manage its heat output. They were right: the 950 Pro achieves a delicate balance where it will almost never overheat from a typical consumer workload, but almost any stress test can trigger sometimes severe thermal throttling. That isn't to say that the heatsink will never help in the real world; those situations are just rare, and even with the thermal throttling it would only take a few minutes to read or write the entire drive. For example, with a heatsink the 512GB 950 Pro is capable of saving an uncompressed 4k 60Hz video stream in realtime, but it'll fill up in six minutes. Other bulk data manipulation like file system or virtual machine snapshotting could be sped up some with a heatsink (provided the task consists of more than just random reads), but in general for consumer hardware and workloads the only source or destination for data that can keep up with the 950 Pro is RAM or another SSD.

So I had an easy transition from an Intel 730 480GB SSD to the Samsung 950 Pro 512GB using the Samsung Data Migration software. It copied the 30-40GB that I had in probably around 1 Minute. Took the Intel 480GB out and turned the system on and it was up and running.

My system is slow to get through the bios though. I think it's mostly due to the fact of having 14 cores and 32GB of ram.

Last BIOS Time: 27.0 Seconds
MSI Fast Boot enabled

Samsung Magician says I'm doing 2343 Read and 1545 Write

Last edited:
So I had an easy transition from an Intel 730 480GB SSD to the Samsung 950 Pro 512GB using the Samsung Data Migration software. It copied the 30-40GB that I had in probably around 1 Minute. Took the Intel 480GB out and turned the system on and it was up and running.

My system is slow to get through the bios though. I think it's mostly due to the fact of having 14 cores and 32GB of ram.

MSI Fast Boot enabled

14 cores? what xeon are you running on what mobo?

MSI Fast Boot enabled

do you have an HBA or RAID? My server is painfully slow because of that

Any word on the 1TB version? I convinced a buddy to use the 512GB version in a new build, but now I also want one.

ocz presented a drive that may be considered before buying a 950 PRO.

said nobody ever. OCZ is complete crap quality. Or was, before toshiba or whoever it was bought their assets. Still crap until proven otherwise.

said nobody ever. OCZ is complete crap quality. Or was, before toshiba or whoever it was bought their assets. Still crap until proven otherwise.

i would have to agree. Until a review comes out and they create a trend of solid products i wont even consider them for anything. Brand means nothing to me but I have not seen one good product from that company in years (compared to the competitors)

So while using this drive (transferring large files) I noticed it got QUITE hot and shot right up to the thermal throttle much faster than I thought it would. I hit about 80c in mere seconds. I think this is because right now I am using the stock dynatron cpu cooler which does not provide air over the m.2 drive. My NH-C14 should do a much better job at this but I think I will go ahead and add some memory/mosfet heatsinks I found at work. We have a small bag of them from a discontinued product.: http://www.digikey.com/product-deta...tions-inc/ATS-54150W-C2-R0/ATS1246-ND/1284960
ATS-54150W-C2-R0_sml.jpg

15mmX15mmX24.5mm which means it will still fit under my lower CPU cooler fan.

These would work fine http://www.digikey.com/product-deta...tions-inc/ATS-54150D-C2-R0/ATS1195-ND/1284909 for anyone interested in buying their own. I'll post some pics if I get around to it this weekend.

Back