Saints Row reboot

Haven't watched AJ since they branched out into TV and Movies, they should've stuck to games. I can't un-see their bad takes.

A lot of his reviews and opinions weren't good in the first place, but he does put out some okay stuff. I've seen him give high praise for really stripped down games.

But this game does look like a 5-6/10 at best. I'll play it but might just wait until it is patched up with all DLC but I have low expectations.

A lot of his reviews and opinions weren't good in the first place, but he does put out some okay stuff. I've seen him give high praise for really stripped down games.

But this game does look like a 5-6/10 at best. I'll play it but might just wait until it is patched up with all DLC but I have low expectations.
From what I've seen this game is definitely a 2, so this time he is on point.

Saints Row Autumn Update

first major update coming in late November and will feature over 200 bug fixes and stability upgrades, and it will have a particular focus on challenges, overall stability and co-op...

https://saintsrow.com/news/autumnupdate

Great, but that is about 3 months after release. For a game that is underwhelming you'd think they would work quicker to deliver some patches quickly to at least take care of the bugs.

Great, but that is about 3 months after release. For a game that is underwhelming you'd think they would work quicker to deliver some patches quickly to at least take care of the bugs.

there have been a few hotfixes but this is the first major patch

1676908275327.png

https://twistedvoxel.com/saints-row-reboot-cost-100m-big-loss-for-publisher/

It really is amazing to see the marketing campaign for this game. It's like they actively discouraged people to buy their product. Like they were directed to make sure the game didn't sell well. They really thought that catering to a very small subset of people who are very loud on social media would lead to sales.

It really is amazing to see the marketing campaign for this game. It's like they actively discouraged people to buy their product. Like they were directed to make sure the game didn't sell well. They really thought that catering to a very small subset of people who are very loud on social media would lead to sales.
Attacking the fanbase has seemed to become all too common in all forms of entertainment. They must think that fans will buy it regardless while catching the elusive untapped audience in doing so.

The strangest thing about this game is that the tone is a complete 180 from the previous titles. It's the game equivalent of Steel Panther making an album of Sarah Mclachlan covers. They pretty much tried to use the Saints Row name for a completely different IP.

Crazy idea ... but ... maybe they should have created this game for the people that loved it. All these idiots keep catering to the 1% of the population that don't even play this game in the first place to paint some narrative. Why is this agenda crap infecting every movie, TV show, and game lately? And they're all losing tons of money hand over fist and don't seem to care. The very loud and vocal minority are not your customer base. When did business sense fly out the window? The original games are offensive and hilarious. They're supposed to be. When did the world become a bunch of pansies that can't take jokes?

Why is this agenda crap infecting every movie, TV show, and game lately? And they're all losing tons of money hand over fist and don't seem to care.

Blackrock issues credit to companies based on their ESG rating. At the same time, they short that company's stock. When the stock drops low enough, they can buy the failing stocks, make money, and own a portion of the business. Or just profit and invest elsewhere.

At least, that's how I understand it, anyway.

huge patch coming on May 9th which adds a brand new district called Sunshine Springs to the game alongside the game’s first story DLC, The Heist and the Hazardous...overhauled combat, photo mode, quality-of-life enhancements, and more...

https://saintsrow.com/news/sunshine

huge patch coming on May 9th which adds a brand new district called Sunshine Springs to the game alongside the game’s first story DLC, The Heist and the Hazardous...overhauled combat, photo mode, quality-of-life enhancements, and more...

https://saintsrow.com/news/sunshine

Fixed an issue with players being able to join a lobby set to invite only.

Fixed many desync issues through out the whole game while in co-op.

Not holding my breath...but maaaaaybe Co Op will be playable now?

I had a few issues. One of the perks didn't work, the gun slinger wild west pistol draw one. Couldn't figure it out at all, and apparently other people didn't. Seems like it was bugged. Other minor bugs here and there. Otherwise mostly stable if I am being honest.

As for the gameplay it was kind of mixed. Very generic and bare-bones but it gets a bit better as time goes on. In the first 8 hours I did almost half of the story. The required side quests/activities were not good and repetitive. Actually, they were worse than not good, they were bad and extremely simple. But as time went on there were some better ones. Main story missions were fairly quick and poorly done in the first half of the game, but got a bit better later on. Graphically the game varied from fairly decent to kind of ugly. Overall very average.

AI is dumb, bullet sponge like although the patch notes appear to address that. Story is fairly dumb.

This is essentially a GTA clone that is stripped down to the basics. It did get better as time went on but was more or less rushed out the door. A 6/10 would be a fairy kind score to give it. Probably closer to a 5. Kind of mundane, but is okay as a time waster if you want to play something new but don't want something long.

I think this will end up being a freebie on Epic soon enough.

Last edited:
Me too. I've always been interested in playing a saints row game. Hope it's good now.

As I understand it, this is nothing like the original series narratively. I've never played it, but as I recall getting the reviews this is the millennial / woke version.

That said, I skimmed thev patch notes and I've never seen a patch that changes so much. Not even Cyberpunks larger patches changed so much and those were enormous.

That said, I skimmed thev patch notes and I've never seen a patch that changes so much. Not even Cyberpunks larger patches changed so much and those were enormous.
and its all dumbing down to make it easier..

and its all dumbing down to make it easier..
I don't know the game well enough to know either way. One thing I did see in the notes was a reduction in bullet sponge for enemies. That's usually a good thing. I also saw a crap ton of bugfixes.

I don't know the game well enough to know either way. One thing I did see in the notes was a reduction in bullet sponge for enemies. That's usually a good thing. I also saw a crap ton of bugfixes.
read the list, 75% is making the game easier for their target audience...

The enemies are bullet sponges, in a bad way. One of the worst offenders I've seen in a long time. The AI is dumb, sometimes you can shoot them 15 times and they won't really react if they are fighting someone else. The high HP of NPCs makes the stupid AI standout more. Will it be easier? Maybe, but they can perhaps spawn more enemies to make it more of a challenge.

I'm still not seeing much drastically change. I finished the game recently, still have lots of the very similar side activities to do but there is no need to finish those. I figure once all the DLC comes out I will play it and maybe finish some more of that stuff. Is this game "woke"? Not really. I don't recall any dark or politically incorrect humor from SR3/4. Though the humor and characters in this game are very weak.

The first half of the game is very lazy. They essentially finished most of the engine related things and had all of the basic tools in place for spawning enemies and whatnot. Then were seemingly told "you have 9 months left, polish this up and ship it". When you start a mission it flashes a colorful image on the screen because you just know the NPCs were having issues getting in/out of vehicles and things like that.

I don't recall any dark or politically incorrect humor from SR3/4.
You obviously don't remember much about Saint's Row 4. That game had the Mel Brooks treatment and made fun of and insulted just about everyone and everything on the planet. That was one of the best parts about the humor of the game. I'm looking forward to getting the itch for another playthrough of SR4 simply because it's completely over the top and fun.

I haven't played this reboot and based on just about everything I've seen and read there's no way I ever will because it's basically the opposite of what Saint's Row really is.

You obviously don't remember much about Saint's Row 4. That game had the Mel Brooks treatment and made fun of and insulted just about everyone and everything on the planet. That was one of the best parts about the humor of the game. I'm looking forward to getting the itch for another playthrough of SR4 simply because it's completely over the top and fun.

Compared to games like GTA, it was very mild. It was just silly in that it didn't adhere to a more real world setting.

I haven't played this reboot and based on just about everything I've seen and read there's no way I ever will because it's basically the opposite of what Saint's Row really is.

Gameplay is actually similar. Same side activities. Just even more poorly done. Mission set ups tend to be smaller and quicker with less entities on screen at once. So they took the underwhelming parts of SR3/4, and scaled it back further.

I had completely forgotten about this game until seeing this thread pop back up recently. I know at launch it was fairly broken and most of the reviews I saw were bad even looking past that, it sounds like they're actually trying to work on both which is nice but I'm not going to hold my breath. I doubt it will ever be a proper SR game but I think it has the potential to be a halfway decent GTA type game if they do as much as they're claiming and do it well.

As long as the game isn't still broken I'll likely pick it up once it's no longer an epic exclusive, if they improve it enough I might not even wait for it to be dirt cheap(just cheap).

Compared to games like GTA, it was very mild. It was just silly in that it didn't adhere to a more real world setting.
The SR games are much less serious than the GTA ones but the humor is also over the top and often crude or dark so I'm not sure how it could be considered mild in comparison.

The SR games are much less serious than the GTA ones but the humor is also over the top and often crude or dark so I'm not sure how it could be considered mild in comparison.

I've only played SR3/4 and this, and based off of those three games I disagree. SR4 was a glorified expansion pack but the best parts about it was how it parodied Mass Effect and Metal Gear Solid.

I've only played SR3/4 and this, and based off of those three games I disagree. SR4 was a glorified expansion pack but the best parts about it was how it parodied Mass Effect and Metal Gear Solid.
It's reasonably fair to claim that SR4 is somewhat of an asset flip and I'd say it was a bit too over the top but subtle or PC it was not, I almost think that we played different games.

I got the game free with my RX 6600, it did play like crap back then, I did some things to my platform like add a Gen 3 M2 game drive / fix my cpu fan issue/ bought a cheap 4K Roku TV $228 for 60Hz of fun. I think it runs pretty dam good on my AM4 / RTX 3070.

It's reasonably fair to claim that SR4 is somewhat of an asset flip and I'd say it was a bit too over the top but subtle or PC it was not, I almost think that we played different games.

It was actually intended to be a DLC but became too big. I played the games last year so they're fairly fresh in my mind. Pretty much everything about this reboot is worse, but if you're bored and looking for a crappy GTA clone this fills that niche.

Pretty much everything about this reboot is worse, but if you're bored and looking for a crappy GTA clone this fills that niche.
That's about all that I'm expecting. I often find that the lower my expectations are for a game like this the more I end up enjoying it though I'm pretty sure it will be a one and done game.

As for the other part I guess we'll just have to disagree but I fail to see how a game where you rescue a pimp from sex slavery and ride them as a human pony as part of the escape is mild or PC, or a game where the entire world's population is either killed or enslaved in a simulation isn't dark.

Back