Ryzen 7 1700X Processor Blows Away Intel’s $1000 Core i7-5960X & goes toe to toe with Intel’s 6900k

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Vs Intel Core i7 6900K Gaming Performance Benchmarked

The first gaming performance face-off between the AMD Ryzen 7 1800X and the Intel Core i7 6900K. Both processors were put in a head-to-head comparison running the same game, the same in-game scenery and at the same time in Sniper Elite 4 at 4K. Both systems were identically spec’ed with dual RX 480s in Crossfire and 16GB of DDR4 memory.

Jarred Walton from PCWorld positioned the character and the camera in the exact same position on both systems. To ensure that both systems were rendering the exact same scene.

The Intel core i7 6900K averages at 90.5 fps while the Ryzen 7 1800X manages to push over 95 FPS and averages at 96.6fps. This is 6.7% performance lead.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-i7-6900k-gaming-performance/

That one is funny. CPU limited, I think not.
upload_2017-2-24_23-14-45.png

upload_2017-2-24_23-14-54.png

upload_2017-2-24_23-15-2.png

While I will not be upgrading my CPU for another few years, I look forward to perhaps saving $600 in my next upgrade if AMD and Intel are neck and neck in performance.

You're using a graphics card that's 15-20+% slower than the Titan XP they had in the demo to say a game isn't CPU bound?

You do know they used dual RX480? :)

The first gaming performance face-off between the AMD Ryzen 7 1800X and the Intel Core i7 6900K. Both processors were put in a head-to-head comparison running the same game, the same in-game scenery and at the same time in Sniper Elite 4 at 4K. Both systems were identically spec’ed with dual RX 480s in Crossfire and 16GB of DDR4 memory.

If an i3 can pull 100+ FPS. Where do you think the bottleneck is when you get below 100?

Some advice to be taken very seriously. Only the x370 chipset supports SLI. Also, I've seen this a handful of times, the Asus Crossair seems to have the best overclocking results. Also seen some positive comments about ASRock ( same company as Asus ) I'm sure the highend MSI and Gigabyte do well as well.

Also, one of the guys at the Microcenter here in Kansas City said he spoke with an Asus rep and he said Asus is launch 1 or 2 additional high-end x370 SKU's within the next 180 days.

Sales guys at Microcenter said they are getting limited stock on the high-end boards due to last minute demand.

180 days is a long time...

I'm holding off on buying my setup (obviously for performance reviews) because I'm unimpressed with the current pre orders.

Intel went from $1k top cpu to $2k in a few years because of no competition.
I would like to know what motherboard and memory were used in these test?
I can not wait till Kyle gets to post some real numbers.
In case someone is thinking overclocking I remember the days before conroe.
You want to oc an amd...ok its was week 23 and week 45 that would overclock.
Most would not even go 100 hz over stock.
So lets see what the hand picked review models will do.

so cool your jets until we get benches that are not hand picked.

ps I am more interested in the new GPU release

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Reportedly Outperforms Intel’s $1700 i7 6950X With One-Click Overclocking On Air

Quote from the testers

“Overclocking hasn’t been a problem at all. Although we can’t announce specifics regarding frequencies due to NDA I can say that the results are impressive and overclockers will be pleased”

“With our overclocked 1800X sample cooled by the Noctua unit AMD provided in the reviewer’s kit we managed to surpass the 7700K in single threaded performance and the temperatures were great. We had no concerns about the temperatures.”

“You can achieve a good overclocking result with one click and you don’t even have to bother with manually overclocking/tuning.”

“It seems ironic yes, but with an auto-overclock the 1800X has no competition. Not even Intel’s 10 core 6950X can keep up with it.”

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-overclocking-performance/

Any reason to legit doubt that? Honestly I'm on board with the pre-order and all but it seems like the hype train is steaming ahead full speed. Tempering expectations might be a good idea.

Sorry to poo-poo the hysteria. :)

Any reason to legit doubt that?
Believe nothing until proper reviews hit. Myself I find it very difficult to believe a $500 product is beating a $1500+ one, that almost never happens generational shifts or not.

Believe nothing until proper reviews hit. Myself I find it very difficult to believe a $500 product is beating a $1500+ one, that almost never happens generational shifts or not.

It does happen every now and then. Back in the Core 2 Duo days, Intel's e6700 priced at $530 was faster than AMD's flagship Althon 64 FX-60 which was $1,289.30.

I do agree though at this point it's best to wait for official reviews before making decisions with pre-ordering

I'd believe that, but I'm still skeptical that AMD has beaten Intel when it comes to price/performance for top-end gaming. They're close, if we can believe these leaks, but they're running up against two things that Intel has spent the last decade perfecting: IPC and top clockspeeds. For thread-limited workloads (like nearly all games), this is still the benchmark for performance, because you cannot simply just throw more cores at the problem.

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Reportedly Outperforms Intel’s $1700 i7 6950X With One-Click Overclocking On Air

Quote from the testers

“Overclocking hasn’t been a problem at all. Although we can’t announce specifics regarding frequencies due to NDA I can say that the results are impressive and overclockers will be pleased”

“With our overclocked 1800X sample cooled by the Noctua unit AMD provided in the reviewer’s kit we managed to surpass the 7700K in single threaded performance and the temperatures were great. We had no concerns about the temperatures.”

“You can achieve a good overclocking result with one click and you don’t even have to bother with manually overclocking/tuning.”

“It seems ironic yes, but with an auto-overclock the 1800X has no competition. Not even Intel’s 10 core 6950X can keep up with it.”

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-overclocking-performance/

I don't know that Turkish site, but people at AT claims they weren't accurate in the past:

Ok so we got a bit of clarification on the Turkish OC info. These guys are totally legit.. they are from donanimhaber.com one of the oldest review sites in Turkey. Those who followed the Bulldozer launch will remember they had info which ended up being true back then as well.
donanimhaber.com legit? Is this opposite day?

These are the guys who claimed that Bulldozer would be about 50% faster than Nehalem (and thus faster than Sandy Bridge). They also posted fake benchmarks of Bulldozer from OBR, claiming that they got them from AMD.

donanimhaber are notoriously unreliable, and if they managed to get anything right about Bulldozer it would have been down to pure luck, and the fact that they claimed so many different things that they were bound to get something right.

As such I would take any info from them with a huge grain of salt, since they basically belong to the same tier as WCCFTech and their ilk.

Wait to proper reviews.

Yup.. if the price/performance is right I might migrate at some time after the dust settles or simply upgrade the cpu in my x99 when the Intel prices predictably drop. I'll wait for the release benchmarks. That and with a new AMD CPU & new MOBO's, there will be bugs to be worked out. I've been an early adopter more times than I can remember, think I'll let someone else have the growing pains this time around.. I've grown lazy as the years have gone by. Really glad to see Intel getting some much needed competition from AMD again. ;p

My expectations are that the 1800X should be comparable to a 6850K or better. I expect KBL to be better than it in single threaded apps.

I don't believe I am likely to be disappointed there.

AMD Ryzen 8 Core, 6 Core and 4 Core Overclock Frequencies Revealed – Scan Offers New Ryzen Overclocked Bundles, Up To 4.2 GHz Clocks

MSI has a range of AM4 motherboards which will feature support for Ryzen processors. These boards will ship with a feature known as Game Boost Knob which would allow users to harness higher clock speeds. The dial-like knob will have 11 stages, each stage pushing the clock speeds on Ryzen CPUs further.

For 8 core chips, the maximum stage 11 would deliver a clock boost of 4.40 GHz. On 6 and 4 core processors, the maximum boost range would be 4.30 GHz and 4.20 GHz respectively. This tool will be nice for most mainstream builders who don’t want to spend most of their time tinkering with the settings in BIOS.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-processors-overclock-frequency-bundles/

I'd believe that, but I'm still skeptical that AMD has beaten Intel when it comes to price/performance for top-end gaming. They're close, if we can believe these leaks, but they're running up against two things that Intel has spent the last decade perfecting: IPC and top clockspeeds. For thread-limited workloads (like nearly all games), this is still the benchmark for performance, because you cannot simply just throw more cores at the problem.

The preponderance of evidence from leaked benchmarks all come to the same consensus about performance, at some point that grain of salt becomes a mound don't you think?

The preponderance of evidence from leaked benchmarks all come to the same consensus about performance, at some point that grain of salt becomes a mound don't you think?

The evidence points to Ryzen CPUs approaching, but not eclipsing, current Intel CPUs for thread-limited scenarios.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Overclocked To 4GHz On All 8 Cores – Provides 1800X+ Performance With Decent Motherboards & Cooling

OCUK staffer “Gibbo” reports successfully overclocking a retail Ryzen 7 1700 processor with an ASUS Crosshair VI Hero motherboard to 4.05GHz on all 8 cores. With this overclock the CPU would effectively be running 450MHz higher than the Ryzen 7 1800X flagship. “Gibbo” estimates, based on his results, that the 1800X should be able to hit 4.3GHz on all 8 cores.

The overclock was achieved using a 240mm Asetek built liquid cooler, which is similar to the Corsair H100i.

At 4.05GHz on all 8-cores an overclocked Ryzen 7 1700 effectively outperforms every other desktop 8-core CPU on the market. Including Intel’s $1000+ Haswell-E and Broadwell-E i7 5960X and i7 6900K.

When running at 4.05GHz on all 8-cores, the Ryzen 7 1700 effectively outperforms every other desktop 8-core CPU on the market. Including both Intel’s Haswell-E and Broadwell-E i7 5960X and i7 6900K.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700-overclocked-4ghz/

To be fair all that indicates if anything, is the overclockability of these chips isn't that great.
I haven't seen a single leak indicating they overclock particularly well.

When you factor in the slightly lower IPC plus the lower overclock rate, plus the lower default stock speeds. It seems pretty clear to me, that they will be an excellent 6800 / 6900k competitor /for the money/ but not necessarily best choice for gamers.

I guess we'll see on Wednesday but my personal bet is these things won't be hitting 4.3/4.4 easily, at all. Especially with air cooling.
7700k seems to be a dead simple 4.7 for a start.

To be fair all that indicates if anything, is the overclockability of these chips isn't that great.
I haven't seen a single leak indicating they overclock particularly well.

When you factor in the slightly lower IPC plus the lower overclock rate, plus the lower default stock speeds. It seems pretty clear to me, that they will be an excellent 6800 / 6900k competitor /for the money/ but not necessarily best choice for gamers.

I guess we'll see on Wednesday but my personal bet is these things won't be hitting 4.3/4.4 easily, at all. Especially with air cooling.
7700k seems to be a dead simple 4.7 for a start.

Yeah, I don't think the 7700k's single thread performance is about to be challenged in anyway. But it's definitely still a compelling choice when you're looking at 8c/16t processors in the same price range if the leaked performance proves consistent across various workloads.

Yeah, I don't think the 7700k's single thread performance is about to be challenged in anyway. But it's definitely still a compelling choice when you're looking at 8c/16t processors in the same price range if the leaked performance proves consistent across various workloads.

It seems clear from all leaks to me, that if you were in the market for a 6900k and 6950k, the Ryzen competes heavily with what these are *BEST* at, for sure.
The leaks really are consistently telling me the same story but a lot of people on reddit and several other forums seem to be non hardware junkies and totally blinded by rose coloured glasses.

I hope Ryzen rocks too but it doesn't seem likely to compete with the 7700k for it's best strengths (and honestly, that's a $350 Intel CPU vs a $500 AMD one)

It seems clear from all leaks to me, that if you were in the market for a 6900k and 6950k, the Ryzen competes heavily with what these are *BEST* at, for sure.
The leaks really are consistently telling me the same story but a lot of people on reddit and several other forums seem to be non hardware junkies and totally blinded by rose coloured glasses.

I hope Ryzen rocks too but it doesn't seem likely to compete with the 7700k for it's best strengths (and honestly, that's a $350 Intel CPU vs a $500 AMD one)

Ryzen is going to lose in gaming against 4/8 Kaby Lake. AMD compares Ryzen to crippled Intel 6900k in their testing. I said cripple because they forced quad memory channel to run as dual channel, forced 2x16x to run as 2x8x and installed the worst possible stock cooler to force Intel frequency to be as low as it can and at the best Ryzen performs faster up to 6%. Well i have news for people who believe in this bullshit. First of all Intel stock settings is quad memory channel, SLI/CF runs in 2x16x and coolers installed are much better allowing high clock on Intel CPU and i am sure independent reviewers will give the best cooling there is for both platform. Also AMD forgot that Kaby Lake outperforms 2011 socket based Intel CPUs by much higher margin than 6%.

Ryzen is going to lose in gaming against 4/8 Kaby Lake. AMD compares Ryzen to crippled Intel 6900k in their testing. I said cripple because they forced quad memory channel to run as dual channel, forced 2x16x to run as 2x8x and installed the worst possible stock cooler to force Intel frequency to be as low as it can and at the best Ryzen performs faster up to 6%. Well i have news for people who believe in this bullshit. First of all Intel stock settings is quad memory channel, SLI/CF runs in 2x16x and coolers installed are much better allowing high clock on Intel CPU and i am sure independent reviewers will give the best cooling there is for both platform. Also AMD forgot that Kaby Lake outperforms 2011 socket based Intel CPUs by much higher margin than 6%.

Quad Channel memory is almost useless except in synthetic benchmarks. SLI and Crossfire work just fine in 8x mode without issue and dont need to run in 16x mode. The stock coolers were used, not AMD's fault Intel uses a shitty cooler. Are you upset that you bought a 7700k recently? Otherwise get over it, people will spend their money on what they want and could care less what you think. Also games are not everything some of us use a computer for other tasks, go figure. You just might be a even sadder Panda when the reviews come out, until then no one knows for sure if it can beat a 7700k at 5ghz.

I don't think anyone is saying Intel chips are bad. People are believing that Ryzen is just as good (or at least trading blows) but for a lower price. We'll see real benchmarks soon enough, but even assuming Intel is still on top AMD will have a price/performance advantage.

You aren't even comparing the same type of chips. You are talking a 4c/8t processor vs an 8c/16t one. The people buying a Ryzen are the ones who want more cores/threads in their rig and feel intel is ripping them off with their 8c/16t offerings. If a person wanted a 4c/8t processor then they aren't going to be spending $500 on the AMD 1800X, they'd be getting the 1400X chips or lower for $200 or less.

Also AMD forgot that Kaby Lake outperforms 2011 socket based Intel CPUs by much higher margin than 6%.
Even if Kaby is faster by let's say 6% over Ryzen for a similar 8c/16t chip, I will still buy a Ryzen over a Kaby when the 8c/16t chip is $500 cheaper. To paraphrase a sprint commercial, would you really pay $500 more for a 6% speed increase? I know I wouldn't. If Intel's Kaby 8c/16t chip was 70%-80% faster then maybe I'd consider the $500 extra worth it, but for an estimated 6%-10% I think not. If the reviews are good I am definitely going to get Ryzen, though I am going to wait for higher end motherboards to show up before I build a new rig.

Intel Allegedly Playing Dirty To Undercut AMD’s Ryzen

The editors-in-chief of two of America’s top PC hardware and technology publications have confirmed to Wccftech that they have indeed been approached by Intel regarding upcoming Ryzen reviews. Although both said that it was business as usual. Affirming that Intel’s response following AMD’s Ryzen announcement was what they had expected it to be and nothing was particularly unusual about it.

http://wccftech.com/intel-playing-dirty-undercut-amd-ryzen/

Intel is rattled with AMD Ryzen. Its 10-year old Nehalem CPU architecture that has been shrunk and incrementally updated over the years, is finally coming across as dated in the wake of AMD's "Zen" architecture. What to do when a competitor with 1/50th your R&D budget threatens to wreck your next annual appraisal? Play dirty and arm-twist the media of course! And playing dirty Intel is, according to a TweakTown report.

Apparently, Intel has scrambled its PR department to call in favors with the press in return for "guidelines" on how to review AMD Ryzen. Intel's PR emails allegedly ask reviewers to "call us before you write." The guidelines are worded more to make it sound like Intel wants its chips to be reviewed "fairly" against Ryzen, but the underlying objective is clear.

https://www.techpowerup.com/231038/intel-plays-dirty-over-ryzen-attempts-to-manipulate-ryzen-reviews

The editors-in-chief of two of America’s top PC hardware and technology publications have confirmed to Wccftech that they have indeed been approached by Intel regarding upcoming Ryzen reviews. Although both said that it was business as usual. Affirming that Intel’s response following AMD’s Ryzen announcement was what they had expected it to be and nothing was particularly unusual about it.

Intel is rattled with AMD Ryzen. Its 10-year old Nehalem CPU architecture that has been shrunk and incrementally updated over the years, is finally coming across as dated in the wake of AMD's "Zen" architecture. What to do when a competitor with 1/50th your R&D budget threatens to wreck your next annual appraisal? Play dirty and arm-twist the media of course! And playing dirty Intel is, according to a TweakTown report.

Apparently, Intel has scrambled its PR department to call in favors with the press in return for "guidelines" on how to review AMD Ryzen. Intel's PR emails allegedly ask reviewers to "call us before you write." The guidelines are worded more to make it sound like Intel wants its chips to be reviewed "fairly" against Ryzen, but the underlying objective is clear.

https://www.techpowerup.com/231038/intel-plays-dirty-over-ryzen-attempts-to-manipulate-ryzen-reviews

Yeah, totally sounds like they aren't concerned at all...

That's why i do a pretty big eye roll when reviewers go overboard about when AMD gives review guidance. It will be up to us to see what reviewers did before and what they all of a sudden change in the next couple of days. If all of the MT benches go away you will have your answer.

Back