RX Vega Owners Thread

I thought the card has a plastic shroud so I'm surprised it's all metal. Looks so much better than the limited edition! (personal opinion)
Yeah, it appears cheap in the pictures but in your hands it feels pretty solid. Black is more classy anyhow, I'm fine with the look of it.

This happened to my machine the other night. I did install a second Vega card, but Crossfire doesn't work and I was just watching a YouTube video so fairly light load. This is with a 1000W PSU, so should be enough.
Well on AMD's website it recommends 750W for a single card. I thought manufacturers usually exaggerate this number just to be safe but it seems they mean it this timeo_O

But yours shut down while watching youtube...that's weird. Mine shutdown at mid-load games too. Could it be simply a bug?

Well on AMD's website it recommends 750W for a single card. I thought manufacturers usually exaggerate this number just to be safe but it seems they mean it this timeo_O

But yours shut down while watching youtube...that's weird. Mine shutdown at mid-load games too. Could it be simply a bug?

Kool, now I have a reason for not feeling to stupid about bbuying an AX1500i couple of years ago, just in case. ;)

Played games for approx 2 hours last night, no shut down yet on my 600 watt evga, knock on wood. What cpu are you guys running?

Also if anyone wants to switch for my black card I'm down haha. My whole setup is white.

Can't wait to see how much
  • 2 x e5-2699v3
  • 2 x Vega 64
  • 2 x Rx 480
  • 6 X ssd
  • 10 X HDD
Will pull at the wall.

Who wants to guess?

1300 + 10% efficiency lost. About 1450 watts at full tilt from the wall --- ballpark estimate.

I was loading a map...in bloody csgo :eek:
not even got into the game yet. But then after the reboot, I started csgo and it seemed fine.
The first game I launched was dishonored 2, it was ok but I test launched it for a few minutes only. I think I'm going to put it in turbo and complete a whole mission to see if it's stable or not.

edit: It happened again, in Euro truck simulator. csgo and ets2 are not exactly games that will push the card to limit but that's what happened...Looks like I may have to get a new psu:cry::confused:

edit2: Further reading that could be the asus anti-surge mechanism being too sensitive. I'll try disabling it first

edit3: nope it's still happening. :cry:

I'm 99% sure your freezes and restarts are caused by PCI-E clock generator amplitude. Try lowering it a little in the bios. Mine did exectly the same thing. Lowering it from 0.900 Mv to 0.800 Mv fixed the frezes and restarts.

Well, I played Overwatch for an hour or so and experienced the new AMD driver bug in Fullscreen, switched to Borderless Windowed and didn't have any issues (other than Freesync). Played PUBG with everything maxed out and it was glorious.

PUBG was buggy and poor performance ~four months ago when I tried it on my Fury X card at 1440p. With freesync it was definately regularly dipping below 48hz at any quality setting. It was crashing on every machine (Nvidia machine and AMD) at that LAN, except one guys. I returned the game as such through steam. Have they fixed that with Vega, driver updates. The game looked fun, but I have little patience for beta type bugs in my limited game time.

I'm 99% sure your freezes and restarts are caused by PCI-E clock generator amplitude. Try lowering it a little in the bios. Mine did exectly the same thing. Lowering it from 0.900 Mv to 0.800 Mv fixed the frezes and restarts.
I can't find this option in the bios. Checked everywhere but I could have missed something.
Motherboard is Asus Z170i

btw no one seems to have uploaded any photo of a sapphire box. So here it is.
I thought the card has a plastic shroud so I'm surprised it's all metal. Looks so much better than the limited edition! (personal opinion)

View attachment 33854
I have the sapphire WC Vega 64. Huge box and random robot guy on front. All metal like the others.

Back with an update on my chart. This time with the advice of saving it in PNG and starting with 0 for my chart :)

What I'm finding is balanced setting and 50% Power limit to keep the clocks stable although the ceiling wasn't 1536 but 1630 instead on the core and 1000 on HBM2.is the best setting so far. This will probably be my setting when it gets watercooled as I'm not keeping the fans at 4000 RPM all the time (290x all over again)

Even with it overclocked with Turbo setting and a clock of 1750 core, 1000 HBM2 it did give me higher frame rates but not marginally better. Of course that came with a boost in wattage as well. With the new balanced setting, I'm either matching or beating the Turbo custom setting and just a smudge less in wattage. I guess every little watt counts since eveyone freaks out or mocks that it's power hungry. PUBG seems to be an anomaly as it looks like the higher clock the less framerate I would get. It is really happy with the balanced mode.

I also had to chuck out a Tomb Raider result in balanced 50% that bested the crossfire 290x's with a result of 69.64 Avg, 78.79 Max with 646 peak watts. I just could not replicate that score again so I might have a setting I screwed up but ended up with a better score and I have no idea what I did. It did put a smile on my face when I seen it beat my crossfire avg.

I could clock my HB2 to 1100 but I backed off after witnessing some artifacts during the RotTR benchmark. It was the only one that showed artifacts.

Either way it will be nice to get a waterblock and retest along with being able to keep a stable core clock instead of bouncing around. For now, it's just time to enjoy playing games again.

Last edited:

I checked this PSU calculator, and it says I need a 813W PSU, so I think I should be OK with 1000W. With only 1 Vega it says 530W. I think it's a bug (hopefully a new AMD driver or BIOS can fix it).

Check for yourself: https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Played games for approx 2 hours last night, no shut down yet on my 600 watt evga, knock on wood. What cpu are you guys running?
I haven't had the shutdown happen again, except for the 1 time the first night I was testing. With a Ryzen 1800X.

PUBG was buggy and poor performance ~four months ago when I tried it on my Fury X card at 1440p.
I've played some PUBG with a Titan X Pascal and performance was horrible. 4K, forget it, even at 1080P medium settings it's kind of choppy. Game is cool but I can't imagine getting into playing it with that kind of performance.

What I'm finding is balanced setting and 50% Power limit to keep the clocks stable although the ceiling wasn't 1536 but 1630 instead on the core and 1000 on HBM2.is the best setting so far.
The 50% power limit looks good. What else did you have to tweak to get that performance?

I got this with the Sapphire WCVega64:
upload_2017-8-19_9-59-45.png

Had to laugh a little as we have nearly Identical systems.

Also guess I need to look into this timing thing!

Not bad. Guess the WC version does have a nice boost. Would have considered it, but I wanted Crossfire and can't fit 2 coolers in the case.

OK, I tried those settings. Fan was like a 747 on take-off, not sure I can use that normally. DOOM had some minor gains, I'd say around 5%, which is something but maybe not worthwhile.

However, I could not complete a 3DMark run. The first test would be fine, but then when it switched to the second the screen would go black (even though the app was still running). I had to Escape and get back to the desktop.

OK, I tried those settings. Fan was like a 747 on take-off, not sure I can use that normally. DOOM had some minor gains, I'd say around 5%, which is something but maybe not worthwhile.

However, I could not complete a 3DMark run. The first test would be fine, but then when it switched to the second the screen would go black (even though the app was still running). I had to Escape and get back to the desktop.

Yeah the fan setting at 4000 wasn't meant to be used full time. Just for testing before I watercool.

Thus far I thought I would pass along a few findings. My WC Vega64 seems to use 3 steps as far as clocks. Mostly hits 1668 and 1750 (yeah I thought the 1668 was an odd number compared to the other 2) and occasionally 1560 for a minimum clock. Temps are no issue in my case with a max of about 45C usually hitting low 40s. The memory temp usually is a tad higher at 48C max. Not sure how to read the wattages but using HWinfo64 the 3 wattages are GPU core power, GPU Memory power, and GPU Chip power. Core max of 99W, Memory max of 225W, and Chip max of 1.047W, not sure if these maxes are all at the same time or each at random intervals. All this is on balanced for GPU power profile. My guess is clock adjusts for mine are solely power/amp related as temp never gets all that high. Playing on 3440x1440 Most games are running quite well. Prey runs maxed at 99fps (capped) with all settings full maxed. Fallout runs 70s-99 as to be expected in that game, settings very random to my tastes with tweaking still ongoing.

Cant remember if I said it here but finally getting Steam Streaming to work, be it the new Ryzen CPU or Vega GPU, it is wonderous seeing my games streamed to my anemic A10-7870K. I was grittier than a school girl yesterday seeing FFXIII running flawlessly after seeing the last time it hitch and stutter UNPLAYABLY. Awesome stuff.

Cant remember if I said it here but finally getting Steam Streaming to work, be it the new Ryzen CPU or Vega GPU, it is wonderous seeing my games streamed to my anemic A10-7870K.
Yeah, Steam In-Home Streaming works really well for me (at least on a Ryzen host machine w/ a RX 480, haven't tried since I installed Vega). Lets me play games in my living room 125" projector in 1080p.

Can anyone let me know how it does gaming with 4K resolutions? If you have to turn a few settings down to make it work that's fine. AA would be the first to hit the chopping block.

Can anyone let me know how it does gaming with 4K resolutions? If you have to turn a few settings down to make it work that's fine. AA would be the first to hit the chopping block.
I posted some rough 4K benchmarks earlier in the thread: https://hardforum.com/threads/rx-vega-owners-thread.1941944/#post-1043165367

Basically, it's close but not a 4K card. With older games, though, it's fine. I'm playing Dishonored now 4K max settings and getting around 75+ FPS. With DOOM it's possible to get 4K Ultra and 65 FPS. But in most other newer games it's around 45 FPS with High/Very High settings.

If you are OK with older games, or are willing to turn settings on Medium/Low, you can probably hit 4K 60Hz. Personally, I'm waiting for Crossfire in Vega drivers. I think that will give me perfect performance in 4K (provided CF support in games).

Like cybereality stated above is not a 4k card. However if you have a freesync 4k monitor it should alleviate some framerate issues once it drops below 60fps. I used a own 4k freesync monitor for a bit and I enjoyed it but the 290x's just weren't cutting out for 4k even if I could get crossfire working. Then I got a ultrawide 1440p freesync monitor. That was almost a year ago now and that's how long I've been waiting for Vega to replace my 290x's to run properly with 1440p ultrawide without the need for crossfire.

Does anyone here have a Vega FE + 10-bit monitor? Can someone please test if you have access to 10-bit OpenGL color buffers in Adobe suite?

I thought it did so I pre-ordered one from B&H but I'm hearing different feedback.

Best case scenario would have been the Titan Xp since I also game on the side and miscellaneous CUDA benefits but Nvidia deliberately disabled this feature on their consumer cards (surprise surprise, Nvidia fuckery strikes again!).

Thinking of waiting a few more weeks since the WX 9100 / SSG release right around the corner... getting impatient but I'm okay with staying with my 7970s a bit longer until Navi/Volta.

I have the card and a suitable monitor but no Adobe suite. Anything else you can think of where I could check?

Screw it...Time for some fun.

EGmjMzm.png

Edit: Cancelled the order for the second card. I'll stick to one for now. Crossfire hasn't treated me well in the past and I'd like to see if one card can handle 3840x1600 Freesync first before investing in a second card. Plus I question if my 1000W power supply could handle 2 Vega 64's and an overclocked i7-7820X lol.

Last edited:
I know full well I am crazy for buying this, especially since I already have a 1080 Ti and a Acer XB271HU 1440P Gsync monitor. I have been dying to go back to AMD for years. Is Vega all I wished it could be? No, not by a long shot. I do have hopes for the drivers improving things. I have been wanting a ultra widescreen monitor for a long time now, 3840x1600 is only available with Freesync, not G-Sync. I'm almost tempted to return my i7 7820X and X299 motherboard and go all in on an AMD system.

I am doing something similar, even had the Acer monitor ordered. I cancelled the Acer, and got on a pre-order for the new Samsung HDR free sync 144 hz monitors. Actually buying both, the 32 inch and the 49 inch.

49 inch will be going on my desk, and my Asus gsync may actually go in the basement.

Last edited:
I am doing something similar, even had the Acer monitor ordered. I cancelled the Acer, and got on a pre-order for the new Samsung HDR free sync 144 hz monitors. Actually buying both, the 34 inch and the 49 inch.

49 inch will be going on my desk, and my Asus gsync may actually go in the basement.

What are the model numbers on those monitors?

Edit: Found it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11530/samsung-announces-chg70-and-chg90-freesync-2-monitors

3840x1080...Way too skinny imo. It's also a VA panel and going to cost $1500. No thanks, I'll stick to my $1100 3840x1600 IPS monitor.

Samsung C49HG90 and C32HG70.

Right on with sticking to the Acer, no freesync 2 though.

I think one of the Vegas should drive the 49 nicely.

Samsung C49HG90 and C32HG70.

Right on with sticking to the Acer, no freesync 2 though.

I think one of the Vegas should drive the 49 nicely.

3840x1080 is 4.147 million pixels

standard ultra wide at 3440x1440 is 4.953 million pixels. One Vega 64 should be able to drive that.

What are the model numbers on those monitors?

Edit: Found it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11530/samsung-announces-chg70-and-chg90-freesync-2-monitors

3840x1080...Way too skinny imo. It's also a VA panel and going to cost $1500. No thanks, I'll stick to my $1100 3840x1600 IPS monitor.

Yes, less vertical resolution...

But 11 more inches in screen size...

It is basically two 27" 1920 x 1080 monitors without any bezel or seam or line or anything between them (so, two 'full-screen' apps in workstation mode), or a highly immersive ultra wide screen curved monitor (in gaming mode)...

And better VA than TN...?!?

I DO like that 38" Acer though...

3840x1080 is 4.147 million pixels

standard ultra wide at 3440x1440 is 4.953 million pixels. One Vega 64 should be able to drive that.
It does on mine, WC Vega64 and Samsung CF791. So far in the games I have run: Doom, Fallout4, Prey, and all the other games I have tested are older easy to display games.

Back