[RUMOUR] upcoming Samsung mobile Radeon decimates latest adReno 650 of Snapdragon 865 from Qualcomm

Marees

2[H]4U
a user on a Korean language forum claims to have some performance figures for a Samsung Exynos SoC rocking RDNA graphics. According to the user, Samsung and AMD are shooting to match or exceed the performance of Apple's next-generation A14 Bionic chip.

AMD GPU in Samsung SoCQualcomm Adreno 650 GPU
Manhattan 3.1181.8fps123fps
Aztech Normal138.25fps53fps
Aztech High58fps20fps

The comparison makes the new AMD CPU infused Samsung SoC look very strong in 3D graphics processing. As the source publication states the ES chip "blows the Qualcomm Adreno 650 out of the water". For reference the Adreno 650 is the new 25 per cent faster GPU featuring in the current flagship Snapdragon 865 5G Mobile Platform. Please take these benchmark figures with a pinch of salt for now, as they haven't been verified by reliable known tipsters or official sources.

Of course, the nature of leaks is that they are inherently unreliable, so we'll take this with a grain of salt. Case in point—BGR, which spotted Twitter post linking to the leak, notes the "Adreno 650 GPU scored 123 frames in the offscreen Manhattan benchmark," along with "20 frames in the Aztec benchmark at High settings and 53 frames in Aztech Normal." We're not sure where those numbers are coming from, because they're different than the ones above.

https://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/142174-amd-radeon-powered-samsung-socs-benchmarks-spotted/

https://hothardware.com/news/samsung-mobile-soc-amd-radeon-rdna-gpu-leaked-benchmarks

Here's as look at where things currently stand, according to the leaked benches...
  • GFXBench Manhattan 3.1: 181.8 frames per second
  • GFXBench Aztec (Normal): 138.25 frames per second
  • GFXBench Aztec (High): 58 frames per second
To put those scores into perspective, here's a database entry for Samsung's Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 processor sporting an Adreno 650 GPU...
  • GFXBench Manhattan 3.1: 63.2 frames per second
  • GFXBench Aztec (Normal): 51.8 frames per second
  • GFXBench Aztec (High): 19.9 frames per second

Interesting.

Ive been on that train for like ten years that thinks having a stupid powerful cpu/gpu in my phone is absolutely pointless. Ya, I want a fluid user experience with no noticeable slowdown, but Im not trying to play Borderlands 3 on the go either. I know people that scramble to update their phones every single year (to the tune of $1k+) so they can take better pictures and rock out on Candy Crush.

The ideal phone for me is basically a mid-end phone (to maximize battery life) with a good camera and a huge battery... like the Moto G Power series. Currently rocking a OnePlus 7T.

Interesting.

Ive been on that train for like ten years that thinks having a stupid powerful cpu/gpu in my phone is absolutely pointless. Ya, I want a fluid user experience with no noticeable slowdown, but Im not trying to play Borderlands 3 on the go either. I know people that scramble to update their phones every single year (to the tune of $1k+) so they can take better pictures and rock out on Candy Crush.

The ideal phone for me is basically a mid-end phone (to maximize battery life) with a good camera and a huge battery... like the Moto G Power series. Currently rocking a OnePlus 7T.

Mobile gaming is huge in a lot of places now though. Having a powerful GPU on board will be a big seller.

I just upgraded to a moto g power for the same reasons. 1st new phone in 5 or 6 years lol. Postman just dropped it off ;)

Interesting.

I'm with you on everything but the OnePlus. (I don't trust Chinese designed spyphones.)

Even my old LG tablet with a comparatively ancient 2016 era Snapdragon 615 does everything I need in a mobile device performance wise.

(I don't use it anymore as it doesn't receive security patches for the Stock ROM and LineageOS cut the device from it's official support list but even if I did, performance would be fine)

I just don't understand the mobile performance race at all.

Phones are essentially email/text/we browser/YouTube devices, and any old ARM cpu can usually accomplish that.

I'm with you on everything but the OnePlus. (I don't trust Chinese designed spyphones.)

Even my old LG tablet with a comparatively ancient 2016 era Snapdragon 615 does everything I need in a mobile device performance wise.

(I don't use it anymore as it doesn't receive security patches for the Stock ROM and LineageOS cut the device from it's official support list but even if I did, performance would be fine)

I just don't understand the mobile performance race at all.

Phones are essentially email/text/we browser/YouTube devices, and any old ARM cpu can usually accomplish that.

I was forced into buying the OnePlus 7t. Someone pickpocketed my phone in New Orleans (trash city) so I had to buy what they had in stock at the store or be without a phone for a week.

I was forced into buying the OnePlus 7t. Someone pickpocketed my phone in New Orleans (trash city) so I had to buy what they had in stock at the store or be without a phone for a week.

Damn that sucks. :(

Ironic that AMD sold off their Adreno mobile graphics IP to Qualcomm back in the day and now they're competing with it with RDNA. Adreno is actually an anagram of Radeon.

Anyway, I wonder how all that graphics performance will affect battery life. Samsung's Exynos is already worse in that department compared to Qualcomm as seen in the Galaxy S20 series.

Wonder how that compares to the old Tegra X1 in the Switch and Shield TV, which it seems like Nvidia stopped developing on for some reason (at least I haven't seen it in the news other than a fab size decrease for the new Switch and Shield TV revisions). I'm pretty sure even the current Adreno graphics have caught up to it at this point.

The other more important question too is if Samsung/AMD can support this SoC with software/driver updates for 3+ years as Nvidia has been the only manufacture to do so other than maybe Google, since they developed the hardware themselves just like Apple.

Yeah Mobile gaming is set to break 70B this year, it is a huge industry. This will be massive in Asia and much of Europe.

I... just dont even understand though. People pay like $5 real life dollars to buy a shirt in a video game for their character. Why? Why do people download junk games on Android/iPhone and pay real life money to skip levels and stuff... it hurts my soul.

I... just dont even understand though. People pay like $5 real life dollars to buy a shirt in a video game for their character. Why? Why do people download junk games on Android/iPhone and pay real life money to skip levels and stuff... it hurts my soul.
In Asia there are a number of mobile MMO’s and fighting games and all sorts of titles that will never see the light of day in North or South America, some F2P, most P2W, and a growing number with monthly subs.
In vast cities where having an apartment that may be 200sq ft, having anything larger than a laptop is a huge space premium, but a mobile phone that’s an easy fit, you literally need one to exist there, it’s an easy sell.

In my experience, if you're being worked like a dog and the only free time - the only alone time - you have is on public transit, well...

I did try bringing my laptop and later my Switch. I eventually gave up and embraced the phone. Well, browsing forums on phone, though most of the phone users on the train seemed to be watching videos, reading, or playing games (yay, so basically everything... great insight /s).

Mobile gaming is a huge industry, unfortunately a cash grab industry.
Too many P2W games preying on customers.
When I look for mobile games, I only look for games that cost money.

Yeah Mobile gaming is set to break 70B this year, it is a huge industry. This will be massive in Asia and much of Europe.

Isn't it all Zynga style garbage though?

I mean, I can't imagine any game being enjoyable on mobile...

I use my phone to take pictures, record and edit videos for my youtube channel, surf this forum, and play two games.

I'm on an LG G5, and will keep using it until it no longer picks up signal, or gets lost/stolen, or breaks.

This is cool though, because if they come out with a great chip that can run games, it's only a matter of time until someone turns it into a steam machine tablet.

No there are some really good titles in Asia and Europe, North America on the other hand this is pretty true, good mobile titles here are pretty slim.

Is this being done on the same power draw? If not I'd just say my desktop GPU is a lot faster than my phone too. ;)

I wonder how fast it will run Tetris? Haha I can't stand playing anything else on my phone, even then it's only to numb my brain while I wait for something/someone.
On the other hand my wife fucking loves playing games on her phone despite having a laptop and desktop of her own. I don't get it. She will play for hours on that itty bitty screen. My eyes can't take more than 20 or 30 minutes without feeling like their going to pop out of my head.

Interesting.

Pretty much this spot on. I think 4K on a phone is ridiculous too, maybe even 1080P.

I wonder how fast it will run Tetris? Haha I can't stand playing anything else on my phone, even then it's only to numb my brain while I wait for something/someone.
On the other hand my wife fucking loves playing games on her phone despite having a laptop and desktop of her own. I don't get it. She will play for hours on that itty bitty screen. My eyes can't take more than 20 or 30 minutes without feeling like their going to pop out of my head.

Whoever buys this will get the best scores in the Words With Friends benchmark :p

Maybe you guys haven't checked recently, there are lots of real games on mobile, even PUBG and COD have mobile versions. It's not all Candy Crush.

That said, I rarely if ever play games on mobile. I have my PC when I'm home, and if I'm out I have a Switch and also this sweet RG350 to play old games.

Reactions: illli
like this

There’s some actual good games on mobile, but yeah a lot of them are made as smaller experiences. One I was recently turned on to is called Framed (and Framed 2) it’s animated like a comic book and you rearrange the frames of the story to make it flow correctly as opposed to flowing to a fail state.
It’s basically a puzzle game but if you’re playing for 10 minutes on the bus or something it’s not a bad spot of entertainment. And it’s actually entertaining almost but not quite Spy vs Spy esque.

But there are lots of games like that. And then there’s reduced experiences of SRPG games like Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale, but they lend themselves well to touch controls. As did Banner Saga, I played that on my iPad while in a hotel room away for work. Fit amazingly well to the mobile format.

Sorry if I’m a bit to rambling. My point is just that there are reasonable and decent games available on mobile. Hell there are even great games on mobile but personally I can’t get past controls (Xcom, various Final Fantasy games). There’s just so much more trash cash grab though.

edit: just thought of, if your really want to get into it, there was a good emulation scene on Android. Lots of retro games would’ve been available and I know at one point the Wii controller could be paired so I’m sure other options could be. I think that was cracked down on though in newer releases.

World of Kings and Black Desert Mobile are available now in North America and they are perfect examples of mobile MMO titles that have been available in Asia for the past 2-3 years. Eve Echoes is coming soon if not already and I know it’s polarizing but Diablo Immortals or what ever that one was is supposedly hitting North America this year. The Graphics on these aren’t bad and the gameplay is supposedly really good if not super grindy like most Asian MMO’s tend to be. And Eve is Eve.... it is the embodiment of the grind... but from the Beta they have done a good job of making the game work on a mobile device. This is a small selection I know but these are the ones I could list off the top of my head, in China/Japan/Korea there are large option sets of big open world games that are visually demanding and supposedly a bunch for the Samsung Gear and other VR devices as well.

Anyway, I wonder how all that graphics performance will affect battery life. Samsung's Exynos is already worse in that department compared to Qualcomm as seen in the Galaxy S20 series.

Yes looks like there will be an impact on battery performance. Maybe Samsung might use it in a Note type device with large battery ?

“It is said that Samsung and AMD are currently trying to optimize. In particular, it is said that there is a problem with performance in the power consumption section, so it is difficult to tune, but fortunately, the AMD side said that Samsung is proactive in optimizing the chip, so there is no big problem.”

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/0...-allegedly-destroys-qualcomms-adreno-650-gpu/

Back