(Rumor) NVIDIA Ampere Launch Window Leak

NobleX13

Supreme [H]ardness

Per Moore's Law is Dead, and other sources, the NVIDIA Ampere launch lineup is rumored to be as follows:

1.) RTX 3080 10GB in mid-September (Ok Availability)
2.) RTX 3090 24GB Paper Launch - Same time as 3080
3.) RTX 3090 24GB Shelf Availability - ~one week after the 3080 10GB launches (very limited stock)
4.) RTX 3080 20GB launches before the 3070, probably late September. (Probably around when AIB 3080's are in)
5.) RTX 3070 8GB launches early October. (16GB launch TBD)
6.) RTX 3060 8GB launches after the 3070. Probably before Thanksgiving.

1598748071462.png

Why are they releasing a 3080 20gb model if not to compete with what they believe is coming from AMD? That seems an odd spec and to directly step on the toes of the 3090 24gb.

I would give more separation between the 3090 and 3080 20GB...the 20GB card will canibalize sales from the 3090

the 3070 16GB will most likely be the sweet spot for gamers

I would give more separation between the 3090 and 3080 20GB...the 20GB card will canibalize sales from the 3090

Yep, that's what I am going with. I have to see big navi before I make my final decision but it will certainly sway both ways. Can't wait. :)

If the past is repeating itself with dual vram configs it used to make more sense to hop on the next level card with the standard ram amount. Like a 3070 16GB might be close to a 3080 10GB in price and the extra vram didn’t make up the performance difference (except in super niche cases).

you're going with 3070 16GB?

I am looking into that myself. GTX 1070 and RTX 2070 had 8GB. I think it is okay now, but I can see some games, especially with HD texture modes, requiring more soon. Wouldn't want to spend over $300 on a GPU for the next 2 years with only 8GB.

Personally wish they wouldn't bother with the 8GB model.

It can only canabalize sales if 2 things are true...
1) there isn't a massive price difference
2) there is actual 3090 stock to be had

If this rumor is true... I would guess the number of 3090s actually for sale will be so stupid small very few people that might be willing to spend $1500 on a GPU will be able to actually get one. Collecting all the rumors it sounds like the design NV has went with is not the easiest to fabricate. 100% operational chips which can push the clocks into the 3090 sku range may be extremely limited till well after the holidays.... and perhaps until NV spins a second updated die 6 months down the road. They had the same issues last generation... their first version silicon for the 2000s also had pretty terrible yields at the high end.

If the 10/20GB variants of a 3080 is true, I'll be more satisfied in picking up a 20GB to replace the 2080 Ti than "having" to replace it with a 10GB card. I'm down for this.

If true, Nvidia definately seems nervous about AMD's lineup. The 3060 coming out in November at 2 months after x80 cards would be like Pascal 1060 vs Polaris rx480 in 2016. The 960 was 4 months or so after 970/980 launch.

Why are they releasing a 3080 20gb model if not to compete with what they believe is coming from AMD? That seems an odd spec and to directly step on the toes of the 3090 24gb.

They are likely, in fact, releasing a 20GB 3080 version to one up AMD who will have 16GB. I don't really see the 3080 20GB version stepping on the 3090's toes considering it has 18% less cores and a smaller memory bus: the performance difference between them should be notable e.g. 20%, especially at higher resolution and IQ.

But will that 3070 16GB actually have 16GB accessible without a speed performance issue. I still remember you GTX970 3.5GB. :D

my theory is that the higher vram cards are being sold as semi professional cards vs gaming cards. only makes sense given nvidia's memory compression algorithm is miles above anything AMD has so having 20GB of vram's pretty useless even at 4k/120.

If the the different vram editions are true (sounds not overly plausible to me) it's probably one more sign that AMD is able to compete well this time around, the "Titan"-esque card available directly at launch, high power consumption of the higherend cards and the pricing. I don't think these double VRAM cards will offer more than like 3-5% advantages in specific scenarios only but cost like 10-15% or whatever more making them not very good buy for gamers (maybe professional animation users or whatever will have a greater use of them).

I'm more and more convinced AMD will compete with even RTX 3080 (no chance for 3090) and this would just be one more strategic decision to not having to try explain to end consumers why their cards have 10GB VRAM only when the competitor offers 16GB for similar pricing (even if the benchmarks would show it doesn't really matter in the end due to how Nvidia handles VRAM better).

If the rumors are true, then the 3080 (& 3090) could be on TSMC's 7nm node, while the 3070 (&3060) would be on Samsung's 8nm node.

This could result in a significant price & performance gap between the 3080 & 3070 tiers...

GPU manufacturer Palit has registered a whopping 171 GeForce RTX 3000-series graphics cards with the Eurasian Economic Commission (EEC) yet another sign that Nvidia Ampere's arrival is imminent.

The preliminary filing, which has appeared just days after MSI registered a number of incoming Ampere graphic cards with the EEC, suggests Nvidia could have more GPUs up its sleeve than originally expected.

However, as noted by VideoCardz, as Palit’s submission is preliminary, it’s unlikely this many products will make it to market. It’s also worth noting that some of the codenames likely refer to specific regions, rather than different models of GPU.

Palit’s EEC submission also gives us some clues as to the different products Nvidia will be releasing. As per the filing, all four GeForce 3000 series models will offer T-, S-, and H-suffixed variants. It’s likely the ’T’ and ’S’ refer to Ti and Super-branded graphics cards, though it’s currently unclear what the ‘H’ refers to.

cc erek

https://www.techradar.com/news/nvid...-way-are-there-more-ampere-surprises-in-store

Why isn't the fact that 20GB model will sell for more money, and higher profit margin, reason enough?

A lot of ppl want a AMD vs Nvidia cage match, and keep finding "evidence" that it's gonna happen.

It might not.
No they want/expecting AMD to smash Nvidia. They being delusional in think Nvidia is shaking in their boots.

Naaa well I can speak for myself. I have ZERO expectation that AMD will take the performance crown from Nvidia. BUT... I do hope they do. It's been a long time since I've had a Radeon video card in one of my systems.
Me neither but the AMD shills are convinced that they got something that has Jensen shaking in his leather jacket.

I doubt it. The primary demographic for the 3090 is “I have to own the best, so I buy the best”, also, e-peen. No different than gamers buying the Titan back in the day despite being a few hundred dollars more for a moderate performance gain. There will probably still be enough of a gap to differentiate the two cards either way, but the top end demographic has the money and the desire for it.

GPU manufacturer Palit has registered a whopping 171 GeForce RTX 3000-series graphics cards with the Eurasian Economic Commission (EEC) yet another sign that Nvidia Ampere's arrival is imminent.

The preliminary filing, which has appeared just days after MSI registered a number of incoming Ampere graphic cards with the EEC, suggests Nvidia could have more GPUs up its sleeve than originally expected.

However, as noted by VideoCardz, as Palit’s submission is preliminary, it’s unlikely this many products will make it to market. It’s also worth noting that some of the codenames likely refer to specific regions, rather than different models of GPU.

Palit’s EEC submission also gives us some clues as to the different products Nvidia will be releasing. As per the filing, all four GeForce 3000 series models will offer T-, S-, and H-suffixed variants. It’s likely the ’T’ and ’S’ refer to Ti and Super-branded graphics cards, though it’s currently unclear what the ‘H’ refers to.

cc erek

https://www.techradar.com/news/nvid...-way-are-there-more-ampere-surprises-in-store

Awesome! I can’t wait to see how the 3070 Super Ti compares to the 3080 Super Ti, or if I should save some money and just get a 3060 Super Duper Ti Special Edition.

Back