RTX A2000 announced - fastest low-profile GPU

NattyKathy

[H]ard|Gawd
October availability, you know what they say about asking for the price

NVIDIA-RTX-A2000-Desktop-1.jpg

GA106 in a 2-slot low-profile card, the most powerful low-profile GPU there is by a good margin.

- 3328 cores
- "up to" 8TFlops, which suggests ~1200Mhz
- 6GB GDDR6 @12GT/s on 192-bit bus
- rated power 70W(!)

I'm guessing performance will be around 1660-1660Ti level, maybe close to 2060 in some situations where the Tensor cores can be used. Not a bad option for those who need a decent GPU for one of those SFF workstations that lack full-height slots and aux power connectors.

Edit to add size comparison:

NVIDIA-RTX-A2000-Desktop-3.jpg

The A2000 looks kind of funny next to the A6000... almost the same proportions, very different sizes!

Last edited:
Still looks kind of big for the market. Would be better if it was single slot, or at least not so long.

From OP link:

View attachment 383606

Actually that looks rather small, maybe somewhat wide.

This might work in a Commodore 64 type case I have with mechanical keyboard. Have to wait and see.
Yeah smaller than it appears. By itself it looks like a full-sized card but no it actually is baby, just with the same proportions as a full-height full-length blower card.

This inside a keyboard PC sounds pretty dang cool! A keyboard that can play games all on its own, what a world!

Reactions: noko
like this
Single-slot means it would have to be even louder to dissipate the 70W. I imagine in time as NV works down the stack there will be a single-slot A1000 based on GA107 rated for like 35-45W.
At that size and power limit I’m not sure it would be much better than the Quadro P620. I would think that the space used up by the RT cores and such would actually be a detriment overall to the cards performance.

At that size and power limit I’m not sure it would be much better than the Quadro P620. I would think that the space used up by the RT cores and such would actually be a detriment overall to the cards performance.
Considering a P1000 nets around ~1.7 TFLOPS with a 45 watt TDP, I would imagine the A1000 at the same TDP would probably net around 2-3 TFLOPS, at least.
Those entry-level Pascal Quadros are from 2017, and are getting very long in the tooth these days.

While this is definitely a nice addition, a SFF single-slot GPU is definitely going to be in demand, especially for thin clients, expandable embedded systems, and other various platforms that will only allow for a SFF single-slot expansion bay.

In times where even Quadros are at scalper prices, I'd expect this to not to be purchase-able at any logical prices. It would have been much better if they released stuff like this back when AMD was still doing those blue Polaris Duo GPUs. Market today just doesn't see a use for this due to price. Might as well order a workstation from HP and have it for much cheaper.

My guess would be that, given it's tiny fan, it sounds like a Dremel.
The Dell & HP shuttle cases these would go in are solid cases and actually pretty quiet. Less noticeable than you think but they have some pretty shit airflow so the blower is needed.

it's fine, the contacts are on the sides, not the bottom, but at least they aren't wearing a latex body suit for this one. So much static.

They are, but they are recessed less than a mm from the edge and even if static electricity didn't arc, fingers squish down more than a mm...

Maybe, but I'm not sure the whole thing isn't a CGI rendering..... Stupid NVidia and their stupid life-like ray tracing and face generation technologies making it damned near impossible for me to trust anything, even "Pics or it didn't happen" means nothing now.

Well, that said, products in all industries are typically announced with great fanfare before they are 100% done, so mockups and prototypes are commonplace. Just because a mockup is used in a launch event doesn't mean that the real thing won't be ready when they say it will be.

Well, that said, products in all industries are typically announced with great fanfare before they are 100% done, so mockups and prototypes are commonplace. Just because a mockup is used in a launch event doesn't mean that the real thing won't be ready when they say it will be.
Oh yeah, they are going to make this product, it's needed, as previously mentioned their existing half-height Quadro series hasn't been updated since 2019, and even those were a minor update on the initial 2017 launch, like a memory speed increase but a decrease in clocks that resulted in similar performance but at lower temps and power usage. I have a number of boxes that are running some P620's and the blower design alone would make them worth the switch up. Not going to upgrade the existing P620's just won't bring any more in for new systems is all.

Excited for a reasonably powerful low profile GPU!

Disappointed that there wont be any in stock & will be gouged.

Something single slot would be good to update the current offerings in the market . . . particularly for non gaming builds using an mATX board (where there is an apparent loss of one PCI-E slot on the newer boards). I kind of feel cheated as to a loss of flexibility on the mATX boards when all 4 slots are not there.

Excited for a reasonably powerful low profile GPU!

Disappointed that there wont be any in stock & will be gouged.
Quadro and A series aren’t nearly as hard to come by as the gaming parts and pricing hasn’t really changed much. Lead times on them have easily tripled though.

Is there really that much demand for SFF design workstations? I mean, I guess there is or NV wouldn’t make these, and if nothing else NV knows their marketing. My question just comes from the fact that I’ve never seen anyone use one. All the designers I’ve worked with that had a need for Quadro boxes valued power and cooling over a half size box.

Something single slot would be good to update the current offerings in the market . . . particularly for non gaming builds using an mATX board (where there is an apparent loss of one PCI-E slot on the newer boards). I kind of feel cheated as to a loss of flexibility on the mATX boards when all 4 slots are not there.
A single-slot card is surely coming when NV gets to the G*107 phase of the pro card release cycle.
I hear you on the PCIe slots... seems very common lately to lose the top slot and on mATX boards it hurts.

Is there really that much demand for SFF design workstations? I mean, I guess there is or NV wouldn’t make these, and if nothing else NV knows their marketing. My question just comes from the fact that I’ve never seen anyone use one. All the designers I’ve worked with that had a need for Quadro boxes valued power and cooling over a half size box.
Yes there is, they fit very nicely in 1U chassis’s too, and being part of the A series they can work with the vGPU licensing for virtualized environments. Dell, HP, and Lenovo also move a lot of their mini form factor machines, they make great machines for clerical, but some clerical work requires video acceleration for little things. It’s not uncommon for minor Photoshop skills too be needed right along excel mastery at this stage for updates to business websites, Facebook, YouTube, etc. It’s also worth noting they work with 4 independent displays so if you just need a small box for running a lot of screens these are your goto class, my P620’s are running my security cameras so 4 displays and NV encoder for when we need to get something to the authorities ASAP.

Quadro and A series aren’t nearly as hard to come by as the gaming parts and pricing hasn’t really changed much. Lead times on them have easily tripled though.
We'll come back in October to see if your'e right...

We'll come back in October to see if your'e right...
We’ll all my suppliers have A4000’s, 6000’s, and 8000’s in stock currently at about 20-30% above initially advertised MSRP. Mostly from Lenovo and PNY, none of the NVidia branded ones though, those are back ordered.

Seems similar in size as the T4 cards, with the obvious extra room for output ( and better cooling) baked into the additional second slot space.

Could see them being useful.

If price isn't outrageous, then it would be a fine solution for a portable pint-sized Steam/UbiConnect/Origin/GOG/Epic box.

If price isn't outrageous, then it would be a fine solution for a portable pint-sized Steam/UbiConnect/Origin/GOG/Epic box.
probably will be outrageous :-/
A4000 "MSRP" is $1000 and it's going for $1200-1500 so I imagine this will be "MSRP" of at least $500 and retailing for more like $700.
We can hope tho. This will be the undisputed king of low-profile cards and opens some interesting SFF possibilities.

Looks a bit long for an itx sized case (as in, same dimensions as itx), but if your case is a bit longer, it should be a nice fit. Same performance as 1660 is a bit disappointing, but pretty good for the size.

Looks a bit long for an itx sized case (as in, same dimensions as itx), but if your case is a bit longer, it should be a nice fit. Same performance as 1660 is a bit disappointing, but pretty good for the size.
1660 perf is just my estimate based on scant released specs and what is generally known about Ampere at this point in the cycle. My track record of predictions is pretty good but it could end up much closer to 2060, we'll see. 70W is a pretty draconian power limit to fit 3K cores into tho so there's only so much NV can do...

1660 perf is just my estimate based on scant released specs and what is generally known about Ampere at this point in the cycle. My track record of predictions is pretty good but it could end up much closer to 2060, we'll see. 70W is a pretty draconian power limit to fit 3K cores into tho so there's only so much NV can do...
Yeah 70w is a tricky envelope but the systems these are designed for only use 350-450w PSU’s, some of which are standard ATX, others 12V2.x, or 12VO. Almost never with even the option for a GPU power cable. Personally I am quite pleased that NVidia has been releasing Quadro and now A series cards for this market, makes my life easier.

Back