RTX 3xxx performance speculation

I’m thinking the cooler on the 3090 is going to be quieter and better than what the 3080ti is going to have. That doesn’t justify the price, but supposedly 3090 FE cooler is near SILENT. That is worth some coin I suppose.

Well, I mean that's $500 for a cooler on a video card. I can listen to a little bit of fan noise to save some money.

Is there any chance that the 3080ti will outperform the 3090 in gaming any way?

I bought a 3090 FE today but damn with tax it was $1,600! Holy cow. I am adamant that 3080 is not enough vram and in any event 3090 is clearly much easier to find. So my choice is ride out my 1080ti to 3080ti and hope there is stock, or just keep (pick up) the 3090 and hope I am good for a few years. I can afford it but I feel like 3080ti will be the better card to ride out into the next gen but who knows when that is available. I’d like to upsample all my games to 4K and then migrate to a 4K OLED display this year.

I feel like I had a craving for steak and just bought a whole cow to live with me.

Should I throw the 3090 back into the sea and just wait for 3080ti. I feel like all of these cards are obsolete out of the gate because RTX tech is so new, but the cooler on 3090 is so nice and quiet it is perfect for my main room.

Damn I bought the thing and I still am not sure I even want it. The price is ludicrous.
Is there a chance? Yes. Is it likely? I don’t think so.

All leaks right now have pointed to it being a 3090 with a stripped down 320-bit bus and 20GB of VRAM. Additionally, the stock TDP is rumored to be 320w and clock speeds are also rumored to be lower to meet this TDP. So stock for stock the 3080 Ti will probably be 3-5% slower.

But realistically, the 3080 Ti and 3090 will likely perform nearly identically in most games once overclocked and once AIBs release their variants. The 3090 was essentially a 3080 Ti at launch for people that wanted it early and paid a premium to get it. But now with MSRP hikes due to tariffs I’m thinking an AIB 3080 Ti might not be all that much cheaper than an AIB 3090 that was purchased before the price hike.

Is there a chance? Yes. Is it likely? I don’t think so.

All leaks right now have pointed to it being a 3090 with a stripped down 320-bit bus and 20GB of VRAM. Additionally, the stock TDP is rumored to be 320w and clock speeds are also rumored to be lower to meet this TDP. So stock for stock the 3080 Ti will probably be 3-5% slower.

But realistically, the 3080 Ti and 3090 will likely perform nearly identically in most games once overclocked and once AIBs release their variants. The 3090 was essentially a 3080 Ti at launch for people that wanted it early and paid a premium to get it. But now with MSRP hikes due to tariffs I’m thinking an AIB 3080 Ti might not be all that much cheaper than an AIB 3090 that was purchased before the price hike.

And you know damn well once the tariffs goes away or the exemption is put in place again, the prices aren't coming back down.

this price increase sounds really shady...so the 3080 at $700 was impossible to find for months and now immediately after announcing the price increase we get huge drops from both Newegg and Best Buy...even impossible to find Asus Strix cards etc had huge drops yesterday...really shady business practices going on

Saw this earlier today, interesting. 3060 would just get the base spec, making the 6/12 gb models more comparable (if this is real). It makes no sense with the Ultra, again if real, unless that’s the one that uses 106-400, but then it’d be hard to believe vs 3060 Ti. It’s all very confusing and rumory. I think I’ll stop speculating and just wait until the 12th.

They are constrained by foundry space, so it even possible for them to produce enough?
This has been gone over several times, most believe its a combination of extreme demand and components, GDDR6 among the leading candidates. Since Nvidia is using GDDR6X it is less affected which when you look at supply - it in effect supports. No doubt console demand is eating a majority AMD fab space currently.

I re-watcehd what he was saying about nVidia Re-BAR / SAM support 3 times and could not understand the gist for some reason..

So what's up with SAM on nVidia? Did nVidia finalize something and it's coming right around the corner? Or nothing concrete yet?

I re-watcehd what he was saying about nVidia Re-BAR / SAM support 3 times and could not understand the gist for some reason..

So what's up with SAM on nVidia? Did nVidia finalize something and it's coming right around the corner? Or nothing concrete yet?
on the way, need driver update and bios update.

on the way, need driver update and bios update.
Thanks. Just found this:
Game Ready Driver with Resizable BAR support will be released alongside the GeForce RTX 3060 in late February.

From: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-bar-support/

So about 6 more weeks. And I'm assuming 'BIOS update' means just adding regular re-bar support, that many mobos already have? Or is this an nVidia specific update that all mobos will have to incorporate?

Thanks. Just found this:
Game Ready Driver with Resizable BAR support will be released alongside the GeForce RTX 3060 in late February.

From: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-bar-support/

So about 6 more weeks. And I'm assuming 'BIOS update' means just adding regular re-bar support, that many mobos already have? Or is this an nVidia specific update that all mobos will have to incorporate?

needs motherboard BIOS update + GPU vBIOS update (for Ampere cards except 3060) + GPU driver update...

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/nvid...-bios-updates-for-both-gpus-and-motherboards/

MSI Is Ready To Support Resizable BAR (Re-Size BAR) For NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs

https://www.msi.com/news/detail/010ad17a3b1868e7e219a11274738ea7

Seems the benefits are hit or miss of Resizable BAR atm. Wonder what the showcase games for the feature will be in the future.

So far out of my system components 2/3 have announced/ready support for it, just leaving Intel to announce which specific models will receive the feature.

needs motherboard BIOS update + GPU vBIOS update (for Ampere cards except 3060) + GPU driver update...

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/nvid...-bios-updates-for-both-gpus-and-motherboards/

MSI Is Ready To Support Resizable BAR (Re-Size BAR) For NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs

https://www.msi.com/news/detail/010ad17a3b1868e7e219a11274738ea7

I read it also needs the Windows boot to be entirely UEFI, no support for older boot types can be enabled.
ie disable CSM (Compatibility Support Module) etc, it might be called other things on different mobo mfrs.
I tested this on my Windows install and it needs converting to UEFI only, it wouldnt detect a functional boot sector on any drive with CSM disabled.

I read it also needs the Windows boot to be entirely UEFI, no support for older boot types can be enabled.
ie disable CSM (Compatibility Support Module) etc, it might be called other things on different mobo mfrs.
I tested this on my Windows install and it needs converting to UEFI only, it wouldnt detect a functional boot sector on any drive with CSM disabled.
On the new PC I built it defaulted everything to UEFI instead of the old school MBR. Meaning when I didn't need to do anything/change anything - I installed Windows 10 as usual and everything was already pre-set for UEFI. I don't even know how to go convert to MBR to be honest

On the new PC I built it defaulted everything to UEFI instead of the old school MBR. Meaning when I didn't need to do anything/change anything - I installed Windows 10 as usual and everything was already pre-set for UEFI. I don't even know how to go convert to MBR to be honest
Thats not what I mean.
If the OS is installed while CSM is enabled it may not be compatible with pure UEFI, even when it uses the newer boot manager.
I have numerous OS test installs, some MBR, some what I thought were pure UEFI, but they are not even detected as boot devices once CSM is disabled.

Thats not what I mean.
If the OS is installed while CSM is enabled it may not be compatible with pure UEFI, even when it uses the newer boot manager.
I have numerous OS test installs, some MBR, some what I thought were pure UEFI, but they are not even detected as boot devices once CSM is disabled.
I ended up reinstalling my OS on one of my machine due to CSM being on by default, what a waste of time. Just another gotcha if one does not know.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
Thats not what I mean.
I wonder if disabling csm and then attempting to "repair" the windows install would change the Windows bootloader parameters and allow a boot? I know there are guides of converting MBR to UEFI without a reinstall out there.

In my mobo toggeling csm on or off still allows my Win 10 to boot a-okay

I wonder if disabling csm and then attempting to "repair" the windows install would change the Windows bootloader parameters and allow a boot? I know there are guides of converting MBR to UEFI without a reinstall out there.

In my mobo toggeling csm on or off still allows my Win 10 to boot a-okay
I'm in no doubt they can be converted to full UEFI, I recall seeing something to do this a while back.
When its released there will for sure be more guides.

Last edited:

No good options for Nvidia. 20GB card would have too low margins, and they can't really cut down the memory controller without significantly affecting bandwidth. They could do a 16GB card on a 256 bit bus but then would have to have faster RAM, like 22GBps in order to match 3080 bandwidth, and I'm sure the temps and reliability with such a RAM overclock is dodgy.

So they are stuck with a 12GB Ti card.

Sounds good to me, will still be a two slot card with an excellent cooler. 12gb I would say is the sweet spot and should last for the generation and then some. Makes a lot of sense, board already had the space for the ram, cooler design is excellent and will be reused. I would also think yields and process has improved so probably a higher clocked card as well is possible. Now it is a matter of price.

Interesting. It would also no longer be a full GA102 chip like in the 3090, potentially for slightly better yields?

Wouldn’t surprise me if they lowered it to 12 GB of VRAM considering all the rumors going around that VRAM prices are increasing significantly. 12 GB would bring down costs to increase margins or potentially reduce selling price.

I'm actually glad the rumored 3080 Ti will only have 12GB VRAM (as opposed to 20GB)...makes the decision to keep my 3080 much easier :D

I'm actually glad the rumored 3080 Ti will only have 12GB VRAM (as opposed to 20GB)...makes the decision to keep my 3080 much easier :D

Yes, but it's a 384bit bus, as compared to the 320bit bus of the 3080, isn't it?

Back