RTX 3xxx performance speculation

I am sure they would like to cash in on FUD around power usage. Gamers Nexus just had a PSU story this morning about how most people go well into overkill on PSU, probably to preempt a lot of the power FUD floating around.
Thats what I got out of ASUS's presentation. It's about quality, not just quantity of power. Better to have a quality 750w PSU than a cheaper 1000w PSU.

Am I going to have to go AMD to get the most out of a 2x SLI 3090 setup for that PCIE 4.0 bandwidth? I know Intel CPU's are generally better for gaming due to the higher clocks which is what I've been rockin' for decades. I know there's only a few % difference in 8x/8x PCIE 3.0 SLI mode vs 16x/16x, but I wonder if that gap will now become larger with a more powerful GPU (RTX 3090), and also the fact that I could be theoretically getting 8x/8x PCIE 4.0 bandwidth (aka 16x/16x PCIE 3.0) going Ryzen 3 instead. I also plan on upgrading my 1TB m.2 to a 2TB PCIE 4.0 model. Am I finally going to jump the Intel ship after 20 years?

Am I going to have to go AMD to get the most out of a 2x SLI 3090 setup for that PCIE 4.0 bandwidth? I know Intel CPU's are generally better for gaming due to the higher clocks which is what I've been rockin' for decades. I know there's only a few % difference in 8x/8x PCIE 3.0 SLI mode vs 16x/16x, but I wonder if that gap will now become larger with a more powerful GPU (RTX 3090), and also the fact that I could be theoretically getting 8x/8x PCIE 4.0 bandwidth (aka 16x/16x PCIE 3.0). I also plan on upgrading my 1TB m.2 to a 2TB PCIE 4.0 model. Am I finally going to just the Intel ship after 20 years?

From what I been watching. Nvidia is recommending 3950x for 3090 SLI benchmarking. It is one of the only few systems that can push pcie 4.0 with 2 16x slots.

Which is exactly why I am going Nvidia. Been burnt too many times from AMD GPU's. Now there CPU's, well you will need Ryzen 3000 with pcie 4.0 for the big boys (3080,3090). Otherwise you will have some performance loss staying with Intel and PCIE 3.0 if you plan to game at some 1440p and 4k+.

I agree with the AMD driver sentiment.
PCIE 4.0 wont be a large factor though. It will affect game load times (transferring game gfx data to VRam) but otherwise wont matter.

Which is exactly why I am going Nvidia. Been burnt too many times from AMD GPU's. Now there CPU's, well you will need Ryzen 3000 with pcie 4.0 for the big boys (3080,3090). Otherwise you will have some performance loss staying with Intel and PCIE 3.0 if you plan to game at some 1440p and 4k+.

I doubt PCIe 4.0 will have any meaning full impact on this generation.

Past history shows that we change PCIe version long before it is needed or have any impact really (on GPU performance)

I agree with the AMD driver sentiment.
PCIE 4.0 wont be a large factor though. It will affect game load times (transferring game data to VRam) but otherwise wont matter.

If it can affect a 5700XT.....You don't think it wont matter for a SUPER fast card like 3080,3090?.....think about that.

Hopefully Seasonic announce some new stuff soon. I'm gonna be PISSED if I have to pay for a 1000w Seasonic Platinum, given I sold a shrink wrapped one a few months ago for half what it would cost me to buy a new one, just makes me wince. Maybe I'll get the Phanteks just so there's a different badge on it :D
It's threadrippers fault more than this but given Asus's points Kyle reflected, it's just crystalising that my 800w Platinum isn't going to be enough by the time I account for headroom. I'll test it when I've got everything together to see if it's necessary, but it's gonna be. As I've said elsewhere, PSU weakness is so f'ing insidious for your system stability. Tracking it down as a problem is an absolute ball ache.

Already need to a new power circuit in my updated home office because I need a bigger UPS than I can power off a standard home circuit :rolleyes:

Otherwise you will have some performance loss staying with Intel and PCIE 3.0 if you plan to game at some 1440p and 4k+.

I don't know if that's true - I thought most of the PCIE 3.0 vs 4.0 stuff showed little to no difference in most titles?

In some games, yes for sure. For other games? no I don't think so.

If they can show a performance different between pcie 3.0 and 4.0 on a 5700XT. Think about how that would affect a BEAST like a 3080,3090.

So in the most extreme example, using PCIE 3.0 x8 vs x16 (not actually PCIE 4.0) you are talking a difference of 7 FPS in 1080p. Even less at 1440p and 4K.

Yeah...I don't think it's going to be a huge deal.

I don't know if that's true - I thought most of the PCIE 3.0 vs 4.0 stuff showed little to no difference in most titles?

Check out the Hardware unboxed video i linked above. They do a 5700XT comparison. Now some games it shows 0 difference, but some newer games it does show it. So if the 5700XT can show a small 4-5% difference, imagine what a beast like the 3080,3090 can show you.

I just look at it this way, you will be fine with pcie 3.0 no doubt, but you might have some performance loss is all. Doesn't mean it won't work. It is also why some reviewers are switching to AMD system for benchmarks now for the 3000 series.

So in the most extreme example, using PCIE 3.0 x8 vs x16 (not actually PCIE 4.0) you are talking a difference of 7 FPS in 1080p. Even less at 1440p and 4K.

Yeah...I don't think it's going to be a huge deal.

Using a very slow and inferior card. Just wait 2 weeks, there will be plenty of benchmarks that will show the differences.

think about it...the reason there no difference in 1440p, 4k is they are GPU bottlenecked. You won't have that issue with the 3080, 3090. There will be some difference.

If it can affect a 5700XT.....You don't think it wont matter for a SUPER fast card like 3080,3090?.....think about that.

In that HWUB video. It barely makes a difference in most games even when they drop to PCIe down to 8X on a 2080ti.

Any difference that do exist matter more at 1080p, and drop off at higher resolutions.

So while technically there are some minor differences in a few places, I wouldn't throw out my PCIe 3.0 systems just yet.

gamers have rushed to sell their existing Turing cards in the used market place...you can find several RTX 2080 Ti used graphics cards listed over at eBay for prices even below $500 while most average around $600-$700...the Ampere unveiling has brought an instant 50% drop in asking prices for the 2080 Ti as gamers get ready to upgrade to the next best thing...

https://twitter.com/JokerReview/status/1300900249624551426/photo/1

Last edited:
Even if that is the case, as much as i want to believe the assholes over at AMD will finally truly have something great that competes with these cards, I believe they wont. I hope im wrong but AMD has a track record of letting us down. This news from NVIDIA today is beyond what anyone could have imagined. I mean, holy shit. Faster than the 2080Ti @ $499??? This might bring EVERYONE over to PC Master Race

It’s a combination of consoles costing $500 and bringing very good visuals to the table for the cost and Navi 2x coming soon. Anytime someone buys a console and opts not to buy a PC and/or upgrade their GPU, nvidia loses a sale.

gamers have rushed to sell their existing Turing cards in the used market place...you can find several RTX 2080 Ti used graphics cards listed over at eBay for prices even below $500 US while most average around $600-$700 US...the Ampere unveiling has brought an instant 50% drop in asking prices for the 2080 Ti as gamers get ready to upgrade to the next best thing...

https://twitter.com/JokerReview/status/1300900249624551426/photo/1

I suspect some might come to regret that. The 3070 is faster than 2080Ti comment, might fall a bit short of expectations. 3070 has a fair bit less memory BW, so in some situations, I would expect it to falter compared to the 2080Ti.

Even if that is the case, as much as i want to believe the assholes over at AMD will finally truly have something great that competes with these cards, I believe they wont. I hope im wrong but AMD has a track record of letting us down. This news from NVIDIA today is beyond what anyone could have imagined. I mean, holy shit. Faster than the 2080Ti @ $499??? This might bring EVERYONE over to PC Master Race

The Series X is an entire machine with 2080 Super performance for probably 5-600 dollars. It's a great jump in performance, but let's not go crazy.

Am I going to have to go AMD to get the most out of a 2x SLI 3090 setup for that PCIE 4.0 bandwidth? I know Intel CPU's are generally better for gaming due to the higher clocks which is what I've been rockin' for decades. I know there's only a few % difference in 8x/8x PCIE 3.0 SLI mode vs 16x/16x, but I wonder if that gap will now become larger with a more powerful GPU (RTX 3090), and also the fact that I could be theoretically getting 8x/8x PCIE 4.0 bandwidth (aka 16x/16x PCIE 3.0) going Ryzen 3 instead. I also plan on upgrading my 1TB m.2 to a 2TB PCIE 4.0 model. Am I finally going to jump the Intel ship after 20 years?

I'm hoping information comes out on Zen 3 soon. It's supposed to launch soon and should be a nice jump in performance over Zen 2. I'm running an r5 1600 in my gaming machine on a b550 board in anticipation of Ryzen 4000 series chips. Pairing a 3070/80 with one of those bad boys will be niceeeeee.

In that HWUB video. It barely makes a difference in most games even when they drop to PCIe down to 8X on a 2080ti.

Any difference that do exist matter more at 1080p, and drop off at higher resolutions.

So while technically there are some minor differences in a few places, I wouldn't throw out my PCIe 3.0 systems just yet.

And I totally agree, nothing wrong with using a pcie 3.0 system. I am just saying expect some performance differences in games when using a pci 3.0 system compared to a pcie 4.0 system.

Any speculation on where we see 3090 performing vs. 3080? I am thinking 20% upside?

20% more cores and memory bandwidth suggests probably in that area. Unless, of course, in the extremely rare situations where you'd need more than 10 GB VRAM.

Eh...I was hoping to see Cyberpunk be bundled. Ubisoft is kinda on my shit list right now for various reasons.

"Game code offer good beginning September 17, 2020 until October 29, 2020"

Cyberpunk doesn't come out till November so there's still a chance but that means people buying the new cards early will be out of luck...

I'm hoping information comes out on Zen 3 soon. It's supposed to launch soon and should be a nice jump in performance over Zen 2. I'm running an r5 1600 in my gaming machine on a b550 board in anticipation of Ryzen 4000 series chips. Pairing a 3070/80 with one of those bad boys will be niceeeeee.

I'm with you. I am waiting for Zen 3 before I buy a new GPU. I would only go 3090 if it can comfortably do 4k120+ and by comfortably it needs to be higher than that because I am not paying $1500 for a card that can't do 4k120 in a year or two. If 3090 cant do it most people would be better off saving the $800 and getting a 3080 and saving that for the next 4xxx series.

Guys, any thoughts on the PCB? The compact design with the high power draw seems problematic for overclocking.

Guys, any thoughts on the PCB? The compact design with the high power draw seems problematic for overclocking.
The PCB doesnt dissipate much power, its size has little relevance.
What affects overclocking more is how automated overclocking and power control becomes.
As time goes on we get less control, it is more automated.
The problem is we dont get potential high clocks for free any more, we have to pay for it.
Everything is performance binned.

Have they posted measurements yet? I think I only have about a inch of length over my current Aorus 2080TI before the card would be hitting my side mounted CPU cooler. I'll be a sad boi if I can't fit the 3090.

I will say it makes me wonder a bit, because none of the AIB partners have released clock speeds yet for the factory OCed cards (as far as I have seen). And these cards are ostensibly about 2-4 weeks away.

Have they posted measurements yet? I think I only have about a inch of length over my current Aorus 2080TI before the card would be hitting my side mounted CPU cooler. I'll be a sad boi if I can't fit the 3090.
Yes they have on GeForce.com.

12.3" for the FE card.

Most AIB cards look like 2.5 to triple slot coolers so it would be interesting to see what the oc's ends up being for each brand.

Back