RTX 3xxx performance speculation

Just don't ever let your wife hear you say she "talked you into it", unless of course you have a death wish.

It does sound like a) you're convinced you'll be going green and b) you don't mind paying a bit of a premium which is fair enough. No reason to wait for AMD in that case.

In my case, i've waited a few months already, and I tend to switch between AMD and nVidia cards, and I have a very busy end Q4 at work ahead of me. No reason for me not to wait.
I have an issue trusting AMD with a $1000+ card, I build amd systems for my nephew's and recommend them when it fits the budget constraints but they haven't won my mind over. If they release an amazing product that beats my ideal 30series I will switch to a custom version, their reference besides the Radeon 7 have been trash to me.

Another card reveal. An interesting bit is the card does something similar to the novel new NVidia FE design, open heatsink with air flowing through card. A few cards have done this before without much fanfare:

" The PCB however is much shorter than the cooler and the third fan pushes the air through the exposed heatsink. "

This is effectively the same as the new NVidia cooler with the fan on the back pulling air through. Which really make me wonder if having the fan on the back is nothing more than marketing. Fan on the back pulling or on front pushing, does the same thing. But a fan on the back looks really different.

https://videocardz.com/newz/gainward-geforce-rtx-3090-and-rtx-3080-phoenix-leaked-specs-confirmed

View attachment 274146

I'm hoping someone will make a 2 fan, 2 slot 3080. Not 2.5, 2.75 or 2.25 slots. Just 2.
(EVGA's hybrids in the 2k series are 2 slots so there's that hope...just not sure how the new PCB will affect that too)

Reason I want one is because of my Fractal Nano S case, that has limited space between the MITX PCIE slot and the PSU.
Anything 1/4" over 2 slots and there would be hardly any space for air to enter.

But my mind has been set on a hybrid anyway, so hoping for that to work out.

Those thinking about small case 3090 configurations with 350w+ of heat added, performance for GPU and system will probably be hampered. Open benched reviews may not reflect well to actual in case performance.

Personally it will come down to $/FPS, quality FPS, more important if I will even notice it. Biggest incentive will be VR and keeping the FPS like on the upcoming higher resolution VR headsets followed by a new 4K+ 120hz+ display.

Performance is only worth it if I can actually use it. Currently on my displays and VR headsets the 1080Ti and 5700 XT is more than sufficient from a practical point.

Nvidia pushing 350w which is confirmed, is a good indication what they expect from AMD performance wise. I recommend seeing AMD performance compared to Ampere if you have good hardware already.

While I recently sold my 2080 Ti, I am not in a hurry to get a suitable replacement.

I may either pick up a 3090 with a nice design or just wait for the 3080 Ti. Looking back at history, I would expect a 2021 Spring release at a much lower price than the 3090 but ~95% of the performance.

There looks like they could have 8/16 GB versions of the 2070 and 6/12 GB versions of the 2060. It all depends on what your target settings are.
2070 16GB = 1440p Ultra

16GB 3070?...I was all set for a 3080 but if there's a 3070 with 16GB VRAM I might go for that instead depending on performance...since I game at 1440p 144hz G-Sync that might be more then enough (I have no intention of upgrading my gaming monitor to 4K anytime soon)...Nvidia sure is giving people a lot of models with Ampere

Last edited:
16GB 3070?...I was all set for a 3080 but if there's a 3070 with 16GB VRAM I might go for that instead depending on performance...since I game at 1440p 144hz G-Sync that might be more then enough...Nvidia sure is giving people a lot of models with Ampere
3070 16 GB for me as long as the price is right. otherwise I wait for AMD and a price cut.

I hate to say it but the odds of me buying an AMD card these days are slim to none.

3070 16 GB for me as long as the price is right. otherwise I wait for AMD and a price cut.

I hate to say it but the odds of me buying an AMD card these days are slim to none.

rumors had AMD revealing Big Navi in early October so I might wait...it'll probably be around that time before Ampere AIB cards are ready anyhow...

So will this be a paper launch with pre-orders, Nvidia only benchmarks on performance? Will we see some solid reviews prior to launch on the real performance? Nvidia use to be rather good with hard launches and hope that continues.

Reactions: Elios
like this
Those thinking about small case 3090 configurations with 350w+ of heat added, performance for GPU and system will probably be hampered. Open benched reviews may not reflect well to actual in case performance.

Personally it will come down to $/FPS, quality FPS, more important if I will even notice it. Biggest incentive will be VR and keeping the FPS like on the upcoming higher resolution VR headsets followed by a new 4K+ 120hz+ display.

Performance is only worth it if I can actually use it. Currently on my displays and VR headsets the 1080Ti and 5700 XT is more than sufficient from a practical point.

Nvidia pushing 350w which is confirmed, is a good indication what they expect from AMD performance wise. I recommend seeing AMD performance compared to Ampere if you have good hardware already.

Going to need some of those hair dryer/vacuum cleaner case fans :p

I went with the Fractal Design Meshify C case for my recent build and replaced the stock front fan with two Noctua Industrial 140mm fans. I'm hoping this will be adequate for the 3080/3090 assuming I end up getting either.

Flight Simulator 2020 threw a huge wrench in my video card purchase. I preordered an HP Reverb G2 as soon as the preorders went up, and had anticipated getting the 3080 (my budget is about $800). I was hoping this would be plenty for FS 2020 with the Reverb G2's 4k native res. Now that we're seeing how much of a hurt FS 2020 is putting on systems, I'm torn between the 3080 (with it's paltry 10GB VRAM), and the monster 3090. I really, really don't want to support NV's crazy pricing, but if I want to drive the Reverb G2 in FS 2020, I might not have a choice. I was all prepared to camp outside of my local Micro Center a few hours early to get one, but I may just wait and see the reviews first. That, and I think my HP Reverb G2 isn't going to show up for at least a few weeks after the new cards launch. I just hope if I wait, supply isn't an issue.

Flight Simulator 2020 threw a huge wrench in my video card purchase. I preordered an HP Reverb G2 as soon as the preorders went up, and had anticipated getting the 3080 (my budget is about $800). I was hoping this would be plenty for FS 2020 with the Reverb G2's 4k native res. Now that we're seeing how much of a hurt FS 2020 is putting on systems, I'm torn between the 3080 (with it's paltry 10GB VRAM), and the monster 3090. I really, really don't want to support NV's crazy pricing, but if I want to drive the Reverb G2 in FS 2020, I might not have a choice. I was all prepared to camp outside of my local Micro Center a few hours early to get one, but I may just wait and see the reviews first. That, and I think my HP Reverb G2 isn't going to show up for at least a few weeks after the new cards launch. I just hope if I wait, supply isn't an issue.
Sort of the same issue for me, but it's because of my LG CX OLED. I just want a video card that can drive this sucker and make it look beautiful. My 2070 Super does well enough, but as soon as you put most games to 4K, the framerate tanks hard. 4k120 is a crazy high benchmark, but now that I've seen it, I want it... bad.

On a more positive note, it's been a really long time since I was excited about PC gaming. This LG CX OLED has reignited my drive for "more performance", which is something I haven't felt in a long, long time. It's pretty exciting actually, even if my wallet is already screaming at me.

So much this. Nvidia going through the trouble of a complicated PCB, new cooling solution, and new power delivery spec? This isn't something that is done lightly.

I think the 3090 is Nvidia's insurance policy. AMD isn't going to have an answer for 3090. As for the other cards it might be quite interesting.

Last edited:
My GTX 780 has seen many, many product launches. The way things are going, it looks like it's going to see the one after this too.

My GTX 780 has seen many, many product launches. The way things are going, it looks like it's going to see the one after this too.

Similarly, my 780 ti has served me as an interim desktop card now through 3 product launches. Gives me an excuse for a month or two to jump back into my Steam backlog and play some classics I missed.

I'm hoping 3080 is 10-15% above 2080 ti in performance, and is under $800. That would probably do it for me to play games at at least 4k 40-60 FPS for the next two years.

I dumped my OG Titan 6GB long ago as it simply did not cut it in games any more (6GB of RAM and performance just didn't cut it anymore)

But anyone talking about GTX 780 Ti 3GB and then mentioning 4K gaming in 2020 makes me scratch my head...like wtf?

So much this. Nvidia going through the trouble of a complicated PCB, new cooling solution, and new power delivery spec? This isn't something that is done lightly.

I think the 3090 is Nvidia's insurance policy. AMD isn't going to have an answer for 3090. As for the other cards it might be quite interesting.

We don't know anything about big Navi, so never say never.

I dumped my OG Titan 6GB long ago as it simply did not cut it in games any more (6GB of RAM and performance just didn't cut it anymore)

But anyone talking about GTX 780 Ti 3GB and then mentioning 4K gaming in 2020 makes me scratch my head...like wtf?
Nothing wrong about dreaming of 4K. Defo tho my 3 GB 780 is VRAM limited a lot of the time at 1080 75 Hz. Hell, Firefox likes to use 1 GB at times.

I should have qualified that. Like I assume the svmlegacy is doing, I'm not even attempting to play 4k (apart from Windows desktop, browsing etc) on a 780 ti. For the past month, since I've sold my 2080 Super and GTX 1080 ti, I'm using it as a short-term interim card -- a role it's played for the past 3 product launches. It's solely used to play older and non-intensive games in my backlog at 1080p where it still does admirably. It's actually been refreshing going back to enjoy games for games for a bit, instead of worrying about tweaking to get high FPS at 4k highest settings.

If I want to play modern games at present, I do it on my laptop with a 2070 (although I've not wanted to play a "modern game" for the past month since I'm busy with my backlog). Once I pick up a 3080 or Big Navi, I fully expect to be back playing at 4k on my desktop.

My 8800GT has seen many, many, many, ... more.

Though I am just a spectator on high end cards. More interested in 3060 for my next decade build...

>20% faster than the 2080Ti on that setup.

I will wait for unbiased reviews.
Watched and saw about 40% with almost all the 1% lows beating the avg framerate of the 2080ti, still felt underwhelming somehow. Same as you looking forward to standardized reviews.

I'm expecting a 2-3x performance boost in raw RTX performance. I think this will be the gen that really makes ray tracing worthwhile, especially with AMD onboard.

On that note, is anyone else concerned AMD has been so absolutely quiet on the graphics card front? Can't believe they're just gunna totally sit by silently and watch nvidia mop up. o_O

And that whopping great big heatsink on the 3090 says one thing to me, desperate.

On that note, is anyone else concerned AMD has been so absolutely quiet on the graphics card front? Can't believe they're just gunna totally sit by silently and watch nvidia mop up. o_O

You mean lack of leaks?? NVidia hasn't really said anything official except announcing a date, and one video about cooling.

And that whopping great big heatsink on the 3090 says one thing to me, desperate.

Or you know, making a decent cooler, that isn't noisy. Unlike AMDs crappy blowers...

2 Things perhaps:

AMD have been slated for overstating performance before release, they may have decided on a complete lockdown.

Price wars can ensue if both sides are competitive and we know about performance of both before release.
There is no shame in changing a price before we know about it. To prevent both sides from doing this its better not to release any details.
ie with no price war before release, AMD can reap the benefit of higher prices.
After all, in a price war, they will suffer most so its much better for AMD if prices remain high.

Looks like I might wait for something like a 3080 Ti or Super. Don't need all that memory on the 3090 if 24GB is true. And my ITX case...

Boy would that 1080 Ti have ripped if I were to keep it another year. It is getting a little a long in the tooth at 3440x1440@120 though. Should last years for my wife who plays at 1080p@60.

Nvidia knows that AMD will have RT as well so that no longer is an advantage.

I get the feeling Nv aint worried about much and is simply putting the raster bar so high this time that AMD simply can't reach it.

A lot of people are expecting a full blown GPU shoot out while it is entirely possible that AMD can't reach anything but maybe some participation at the mid-low level cards.

Nvidia knows that AMD will have RT as well so that no longer is an advantage.

I get the feeling Nv aint worried about much and is simply putting the raster bar so high this time that AMD simply can't reach it.

A lot of people are expecting a full blown GPU shoot out while it is entirely possible that AMD can't reach anything but maybe some participation at the mid-low level cards.

AMD could compete for #1, if they were as willing to push the boundaries.

For a long time, NVidia has just been willing to push the boundaries harder. Look at the absurd size of TU102.

NVidia pushing hard again, is just NVidia following the same playbook.

As far as what AMD is doing, there have really been no credible leaks. It just looks like people initially guessed 20 Billion Transistor, 80CU (Double 5700Xt) ages ago, and haven't seen anything new since.

When that AMD part was first rumored, it seems like a monster, but now that we are looking at 34 Billion transistor NVidia monster, it looks more like AMD will be competing for 2nd place again.

But really I don't think we have seen any real AMD leaks. They could surprise us.

AMD could compete for #1, if they were as willing to push the boundaries.

For a long time, NVidia has just been willing to push the boundaries harder. Look at the absurd size of TU102.

NVidia pushing hard again, is just NVidia following the same playbook.

As far as what AMD is doing, there have really been no credible leaks. It just looks like people initially guessed 20 Billion Transistor, 80CU (Double 5700Xt) ages ago, and haven't seen anything new since.

When that AMD part was first rumored, it seems like a monster, but now that we are looking at 34 Billion transistor NVidia monster, it looks more like AMD will be competing for 2nd place again.

But really I don't think we have seen any real AMD leaks. They could surprise us.

AMD have really toned down the hype train in the past year, I'm not sure if that's because they are worried about not being able to deliver or just don't find the need to hype everything up anymore. Have there been any rumors of 5700/XT replacements? Top end GPU's are great, but I think for AMD the real money is in the mid to mid-high range since they can usually compete much better on price there.

I would be very surprised if "BIG BOI NAVI" competes with the 3090, it will probably be slightly slower and cost a little bit less. Kind of like Radeon VII and the 1080Ti.

I would be very surprised if "BIG BOI NAVI" competes with the 3090, it will probably be slightly slower and cost a little bit less. Kind of like Radeon VII and the 1080Ti.

Radeon VII came much later than 1080 Ti, and it costs more as well.

Back