RTX 3xxx performance speculation

August release

September

for custom cards just read that on videocardz.com

I'm waiting around to see what AMD brings to the table. Once I see that I'll make a decision. I have a G-Sync display and I'll have to see if AMD is worth buying a new Freesync display as well.

I'm waiting around to see what AMD brings to the table. Once I see that I'll make a decision. I have a G-Sync display and I'll have to see if AMD is worth buying a new Freesync display as well.

I'm curious about AMD as well of course, but at this stage my work and play machines are running so well on Nvidia hardware and AMD would have to offer a lot, lot more for a lot, lot less for me to switch.

I'd like to see a steady 60fps 4K experience in some of the "Older" games I play like NMS and Fallout 76. As it is my RTX2070 can get there but has it drops here and there and with the penalty of noise and heat. I have no doubt a 3070 will get me to where I want to be. But I'm open to a 3080 too of course.

And tbh I really don't see the point of getting a card without DLSS at this stage.

Big Navi is rumored for late October or November...so for me I can't wait around and will get Ampere (most likely would have gone with Nvidia anyway)...I'm just hoping Zen 3 is also released in September so I can build my new system

May depend on availability as well on what folks end up with if both are competitive to each other. Just too many unknowns at least for me when, if, what would be worth it. May end up with multiple cards from both -> Who knows? Just not enough facts, data etc. for a sound decision.

May depend on availability as well on what folks end up with if both are competitive to each other. Just too many unknowns at least for me when, if, what would be worth it. May end up with multiple cards from both -> Who knows? Just not enough facts, data etc. for a sound decision.
Exactly.

Reactions: noko
like this
It sounds like the story may play out like we've seen before. nVidia releases first (September) with laughably-high prices, AMD releases later (November) with competitive product that is marginally less expensive. nVidia lowers prices in Q1 and/or releases new Ti models positioned against AMD cards.

Likely best for the majority to hold fire until both parties have launched. I'm definitely not getting "burnt" by picking up a 5800 Ultra when a 9700 PRO will be release weeks later (although I think the cards will perform much closer to one another than that).

It sounds like the story may play out like we've seen before. nVidia releases first (September) with laughably-high prices, AMD releases later (November) with competitive product that is marginally less expensive. nVidia lowers prices in Q1 and/or releases new Ti models positioned against AMD cards.

Likely best for the majority to hold fire until both parties have launched. I'm definitely not getting "burnt" by picking up a 5800 Ultra when a 9700 PRO will be release weeks later (although I think the cards will perform much closer to one another than that).

Ya seems that way. If the 3080 ti or whatever is the top card at launch isn't on 7nm TSMC process then I will probably hold off for AMD and/or the Nvidia 'Super' refresh.

As I said, this is why I will wait for whatever MSRP board Evga puts out. I have the 2080Ti Black, suits me just fine with the cooling provided.

Ideally, my 2070 would last until the Super or Ti versions arrive but that all depends on what kind of performance boost were getting at the start. I just want something that can do 4k 60fps and be cool and quiet while at it. Depending on the game I'm mostly there already.

I know prices will be high but atleast this hobby isn’t as expensive as some other hobbies out there. I’m gonna take advantage of my good credit and finance it . Why pay it off when you can prolong it for 12-18 months no interest ;)

I know prices will be high but atleast this hobby isn’t as expensive as some other hobbies out there. I’m gonna take advantage of my good credit and finance it . Why pay it off when you can prolong it for 12-18 months no interest ;)

NO interest is a good way to go. I've done it several times. Why pay out $1000 plus at one time when I can pay it out over 6-12 months and still only pay a total of $1000?

NO interest is a good way to go. I've done it several times. Why pay out $1000 plus at one time when I can pay it out over 6-12 months and still only pay a total of $1000?

Well if you can get 5% cash back I would do it (US Bank cash+, Chase prime card, etc). For people more risk averse and who would rather take the guaranteed return versus say, putting the difference in the stock market.

August stimulus check= Ampere 3080 :)

Wow.

The reason 0% finance exists is because people can and do miss payments and then need to pay loan-shark level of APR. Might not happen to you , and maybe I'm old fashioned, but going into debt - which is what financing is regardless of having the money set aside - for a discretionary piece of video gaming hardware is not a good idea. Debt is debt.

Wow.

The reason 0% finance exists is because people can and do miss payments and then need to pay loan-shark level of APR. Might not happen to you , and maybe I'm old fashioned, but going into debt - which is what financing is regardless of having the money set aside - for a discretionary piece of video gaming hardware is not a good idea. Debt is debt.

It works for me because I can buy the card outright any time I like. That's the great thing about saving money your whole life. Also, using credit keeps your credit score up. It's why I have a near perfect score. Paying off the balance every month also helps. Anyway, kinda OT and I'll check out now.

I just hope Nvidia puts HDMI 2.1 on their cards whatever the price is. September wont come fast enough for me.
They wont want to ruin the launch of their new cards, they will have HDMI 2.1.
Remember when AMD launched cards without HDMI 2.0, they got hammered.

Wow.

There ain't nothing wrong with using stimulus check for whatever the fuck you want. They tax my ass enough to pay me back ones in a while ROFL!

Man, 4k120hz 48cx & HP Reverb G2 + MSFS = need this 3000 series so bad!

I hope Nvidia doesn't Cosby our bootyholes!
75f41635b314cafd7ae74b997326fe49.jpg

cosbo.jpg

Last edited:
Wow.

Spoken like someone who doesn’t like debt but also doesn’t really know how to make their money work for them. 0% financing (Free money) is great! Why pay it off at once when you can pay it off slowly and use that bulk sum of money you didn’t have to spend all at once, towards investments that will net you a whole lot more than a 0% return? You act as if your options are to pay something off or to just let your money collect dust under your mattress.

I mean, that kinda sounds bad but...yeah probably. Can't stimulate the economy without buying stuff, right?

why is it a bad thing? :D ...I mean if you need the $1200 for your rent/mortgage but use it to buy a 3080 I can understand it being bad...but if you're comfortable financially and get an extra $1200 why not buy a luxury item

why is it a bad thing? :D ...I mean if you need the $1200 for your rent/mortgage but use it to buy a 3080 I can understand it being bad...but if you're comfortable financially and get an extra $1200 why not buy a luxury item
I spent mine in local small businesses, if there is another one it will go to a local homeless shelter.

I try to stimulate the local economy.

I was seriously considering a silencer for my home defense weapon with the stimulus money but the wife placed a hold on that (she wants any intruder to hear the full sonic impact) so instead I’m considering a compensator.

With the leftover I’m considering a Zen 3 plus RDNA2 card. Even the weakest card is likely to be a huge upgrade over my 1070 and far beyond what my needs are.

I was seriously considering a silencer for my home defense weapon with the stimulus money but the wife placed a hold on that (she wants any intruder to hear the full sonic impact) so instead I’m considering a compensator.

With the leftover I’m considering a Zen 3 plus RDNA2 card. Even the weakest card is likely to be a huge upgrade over my 1070 and far beyond what my needs are.
Silencer is also handy for when you accidentally shoot yourself in the foot, won't wake up the neighbours.

Spoken like someone who doesn’t like debt but also doesn’t really know how to make their money work for them. 0% financing (Free money) is great! Why pay it off at once when you can pay it off slowly and use that bulk sum of money you didn’t have to spend all at once, towards investments that will net you a whole lot more than a 0% return? You act as if your options are to pay something off or to just let your money collect dust under your mattress.

My understanding of debt and other aspects of finance is part of the reason I'm nowhere near the ballpark of qualifying for a stimulus check. While Uncle Bob may have explained at Thanksgiving that financing his new Bayliner at 0% is "free money", it's not free. You're paying in risk, regardless of how sound your economic situation is.

The only time financing (i.e. debt, let's call it what it is) should be considered is if a) it serves a need e.g. housing, transpo to get to work, and/or b) the investment you make with that debt will grow (either growth in the principal asset itself, or what you will do with that asset). And you're right, you can take on the risk of financing to hedge for other investments, but that's entirely moot here as we're talking about financing a discretionary toy/hobby used for video games which is an assured depreciation.

But others may be less risk adverse and feel they "need" that video card/Bayliner more than me and to each his/her own.

My understanding of debt and other aspects of finance is part of the reason I'm nowhere near the ballpark of qualifying for a stimulus check. While Uncle Bob may have explained at Thanksgiving that financing his new Bayliner at 0% is "free money", it's not free. You're paying in risk, regardless of how sound your economic situation is.

The only time financing (i.e. debt, let's call it what it is) should be considered is if a) it serves a need e.g. housing, transpo to get to work, and/or b) the investment you make with that debt will grow (either growth in the principal asset itself, or what you will do with that asset). And you're right, you can take on the risk of financing to hedge for other investments, but that's entirely moot here as we're talking about financing a discretionary toy/hobby used for video games which is an assured depreciation.

But others may be less risk adverse and feel they "need" that video card/Bayliner more than me and to each his/her own.

It’s true that you pay in risk but low interest financing usually works out in your favor if you invest cash on hand. Now this is not the same as putting a Titan on your credit card with a 24% APR. That is just throwing away money.

Holding out until first quarter next year befoe deciding on which way to go. By then we should see some AIB selection , stocked shelves and the reviews will be in. Besides I'm waiting for you folks to sell your 2080tis for $350 like so many on here have stated because "thats all they will be worth when Ampere comes out" :D

Hit me up when you do --Heat: Jfiveone94
Paypal ready to go!

Last edited:
Holding out until first quarter next year befoe deciding on which way to go. By then we should see some AIB selection , stocked shelves and the reviews will be in. Besides I'm waiting for you folks to sell your 2080tis for $350 like so many on here have stated because "thats all they will be worth when Ampere comes out" :D

Hit me up when you do --Heat: Jfiveone94
Paypal ready to go!

I just sold my Asus STRIX 2080ti for $5 more than I paid for it :) these rumors are helpful, which ever way it goes when the card drops.

Sounds like you don’t trust yourself to not miss a payment. I don’t have they problem. I’ve never paid a penny in penalties or interest on a 0% finance plan. I suppose If you don’t have the discipline to make it work for you, don’t do it. I don’t have that problem, and not having that problem allows me to buy the things I want AND allow my money to work For me.

It’s not that hard to not qualify for a stimulus check. It’s also not that hard to make a lot of money and still qualify.

Sounds like you don’t trust yourself to not miss a payment. I don’t have they problem. I’ve never paid a penny in penalties or interest on a 0% finance plan. I suppose If you don’t have the discipline to make it work for you, don’t do it. I don’t have that problem, and not having that problem allows me to buy the things I want AND allow my money to work For me.

It’s not that hard to not qualify for a stimulus check. It’s also not that hard to make a lot of money and still qualify.
I make money using my Credit Card, yes just pay it off monthly and keep the cash back. Literally made thousands by using a credit card. Not sure why more don't do the same. Pay bills, food, gas, fun stuff -> pay it to zero or near zero monthly -> Credit card company pays you instead.

I make money using my Credit Card, yes just pay it off monthly and keep the cash back. Literally made thousands by using a credit card. Not sure why more don't do the same. Pay bills, food, gas, fun stuff -> pay it to zero or near zero monthly -> Credit card company pays you instead.

Agreed. I use my CC all the freaking time. Every online purchase I make, is with a credit card instead of my bank card for that added fraud protection. it all gets paid off before the next billing cycle. I don’t even remember the last time I paid interest on any of my cards. And like you said, you get rewards on top of it.

Back