RTX 3xxx performance speculation

Not sure where this is coming from, since raster performance has been talked about/rumored/leaked for ages.

The Raster numbers are fairly consistently rumored at: 3080 is 20-30% faster than 2080 ti, and 3090 is about 50% faster than 2080 Ti.

That also lines up with the memory bandwidth increases on the cards as well, and that is verified right off the pages on AIB cards.
If true, a 3080 should be a great upgrade for my 1080.

If true, a 3080 should be a great upgrade for my 1080.

Yeah, that’d be the upgrade I always dream of holding off for; 80-100% upgrade (?).

I usually go top tier but if the 3080 is 20-30% faster than a 2080ti for $800 and even better RT... I am all over that. I feel like we’re sticking our toes into AMD kind of delusional hopes and dreams though.

This is the second time in as many weeks I've heard the name Gainward, since not hearing it since probably the 90's. Are they making a comeback or something?

Yeah I was wondering the same, havent had a gainward card since my geforce 3 and 4 cards I bought back in the day. The made good cards back then, and shortly disappeared from the market.

Yeah I was wondering the same, havent had a gainward card since my geforce 3 and 4 cards I bought back in the day. The made good cards back then, and shortly disappeared from the market.

They might have leaked their images and specs just to remind people they were still alive before Asus, EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte blast everywhere with images and reviews of their offerings.

It's sad, but maybe if people see the brand they won't default to PNY, Powercolpr, XFX, or Zotac when the "good" cards are bought up on release.

Cryorig did something like that with an image of an upcoming cooler just to display a heartbeat too.

I usually go top tier but if the 3080 is 20-30% faster than a 2080ti for $800 and even better RT... I am all over that. I feel like we’re sticking our toes into AMD kind of delusional hopes and dreams though.

Having just sold my 2080 Ti for a bit more than that, fingers crossed for 20-30% more performance and ideally cooler temps. Can't say no to a "free" upgrade.

You've got to label that NSFW. One only has so much desk to hide under.

Ok, lol, now its getting interesting. I bet the story behind why Samsung is good one, it makes those jacked up power requirements make sense as they went with a 2nd tier process.

Ok, lol, now its getting interesting. I bet the story behind why Samsung is good one, it makes those jacked up power requirements make sense as they went with a 2nd tier process.

Aw jeez, it might be GTX 480/Fermi all over again with a "30x5" refresh early next year.

I bet he talks about useless fluff first like with Turing. I don’t know why they always need to pad these events with stuff the majority does not care about. Either way, should be exciting towards the end!

I bet he talks about useless fluff first like with Turing. I don’t know why they always need to pad these events with stuff the majority does not care about. Either way, should be exciting towards the end!

He's going to uselessly pontificate on their "journey" from Turing to Ampere for 10 minutes, I guarantee it.

Any word on what the preorder model and timing will look like?

Asus drops a press release:
https://videocardz.com/press-release/asus-announces-geforce-rtx-30-series

Not much new. Image of dual fan 3070 in background and some 3070 Specs, but missing CUDA count.

ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 3070
ASUS DUAL GeForce RTX 3070
NVIDIA GeForce RTX CUDA cores: TBD
8 GB GDDR6 memory
PCIe interface: 4.0
2 x Native HDMI 2.1 output
3 x Native DisplayPort 1.4a

ASUS-ROG-RTX-30.jpg

Omg omg omg 92 minutes!

I am going to get my credit card and a beer. Nothing bad ever happens with that combo!

I forgot where I read a post where a fella had a drunken night on his PC. A Titan Z showed up at his doorsteps a few days later 😂

"The GeForce RTX 3090, 3080 and 3070 represent the greatest GPU generational leap in the history of NVIDIA."

"increases of up to 1.9X performance-per-watt over the previous generation"

VRAM market segmentation is the worst because when you run out, the GPU is crippled. Unlike a typical performance metric where you may have to turn down some graphics settings to reach 60fps or whatever, you run out of VRAM and it's game over.

This type of segment is basically asking consumers to gamble on how much GPU potential they think they will need in the next few yeaes. It's ridiculous, we aren't psychics. Most people don't even know enough about VRAM to make this type of buying decision.

It's even more egregious this time because it looks like capacity will vary from 6 to 24 GB.

People get a little too worked up about vram, imho. Its not game over. You adjust textures from ultra to very high and most times you are in the clear.

The vram issue is a hot topic now only because of FS2000. The fact of the matter is that 6GB has typically been enough the last few years and only a couple need 8GB. That is not going to change very fast going forward.

People get a little too worked up about vram, imho. Its not game over. You adjust textures from ultra to very high and most times you are in the clear.

The vram issue is a hot topic now only because of FS2000. The fact of the matter is that 6GB has typically been enough the last few years and only a couple need 8GB. That is not going to change very fast going forward.
The last time I turned down texture quality was... 2010? 2011? I can't even remember. Probably never, tbh.

If that ever happens I will consider it either a colossal failure on my part, the GPU manufacturer, or maybe the devs. I will also throw the card in the garbage.

"The GeForce RTX 3090, 3080 and 3070 represent the greatest GPU generational leap in the history of NVIDIA."

"increases of up to 1.9X performance-per-watt over the previous generation"

The infamous "up to". During some obscure set of conditions, probably including RT and DLSS.

The last time I turned down texture quality was... 2010? 2011? I can't even remember. Probably never, tbh.

If that ever happens I will consider it either a colossal failure on my part, the GPU manufacturer, or maybe the devs. I will also throw the card in the garbage.

I get what your saying but comparing something like Doom Eternal (which is one of the few games that needs 8 GB) to ultra from uber, insane, or whatever it is called, is laughable. Even on a still screenshot, it is very hard to tell the difference.

It's sort of just an elitist practice in many cases and not really a necessity. There has been a few good videos on this matter as well.

How long do these events typically last? I'm at work, and may need to book a conference room if it's going to be long. :)

Finally making my MacBook Air feel useful... letting it give me the countdown timer :LOL:
E8F545B5-BD8C-4E18-AB76-4AA31A3E4353.jpeg

Crap, I had a meeting moved to the launch time. Hopefully it doesn't run long.

ON TOPIC PLEASE

(1) Absolutely NO FLAMING, NAME CALLING OR PERSONAL ATTACKS, NO TROLLING. Mutual respect and civilized conversation is the required norm, this includes personal attacks in signatures. NO POLITICAL DISCUSSION OUTSIDE OF THE SOAPBOX SUBFORUM. http://hardforum.com/account/upgrades

Please stop and think about what you are about to post. If this is you pictured below, go to another thread.

StopLiking.jpg

Back