Rivals Scramble after Apple unveils iPad 2

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Apple’s rumored release date was off by a mile, catching its competition asleep at the wheel. Rival manufacturers are now scrambling to play rollout catch up with their own products. If you have been waiting for the spring crop of tablets, your wait will now be much shorter. Check out the comparison table for specifications.

Since most vendors expected Apple to launch iPad 2 in the second quarter, Apple's strategy of launching the device in early March has messed up its competitors' plans for their tablet PCs

Yay, more hastily released, underdeveloped untested products to the market.

FFS.

Still having a hard time figuring out a use for the damn thing. On the run the smart phone is more portable and when I need something for real work the net book or laptop are actually useful while the Ipad is not really good for much out side of entertainment. The Ipad is basically an up sized smart phone, that falls in between a smart phones and a net books size while only having the smart phones capabilities.

It's as popular as it is useless as far as I can see though. So, to each their own I suppose.

Motorola's Xoom will have to drop in price to compete for sure. The barely larger screen and having a USB port or two isn't worth $100, especially when the competition has a cult following and is thinner/lighter.

Well, the majority of us do not need a lot of power. What I always find funny about this forum is how out of touch most of the people here seem to be. We as a forum are the POWER USERS of the world compromising basically 0.1% market share.

As a web surfing, e-reader, light gaming, email checking, and all around travel-type computer it is great. It fits comfortably in a backpack like a small book, and is very easy and intuitive to use. Typing on it is great, and it has more than enough power for mundane normal tasks. Will I be folding with it or performing heavy AutoCAD or 3D rendering? Nope. But for quick video taking, quick editing at a level for a mom and pop video or audio level it is awesome.

Also, the applications are amazing for the iPad. Flat out, it is the best consumer device on the market right now. They know their target market, and did what they teach you in business. Be there, and be there first. They leveraged the ipod success and came out with the the iphone and they leveraged both of those with the iPad. Think what you want of Steve Jobs, but Apple hit a home run with this, and it will effect PC sales going forward in a big way.

Look at it from the consumer point of view. This is exactly what most people will use/need for everyday use. Great job Apple. Just wish I had stock before 2001...:D

Say what you will about Apple. But they play this marketing game extremely well.

no doubt, these are generally luxury entertainment devices. that being said, at the right price, I could see myself buying one for reading in bed, or surfing the web on the couch, or entertaining the kids on a plane.

I'd probably only spend about $300 to $400 on one though. The announcement of the Ipad2 at $499 probably moved the time table forward for my future tablet (if there is one) to hit my price point. So, for that, I am happy.

The market I didn't expect to pick up the ipad so quickly was the elderly and/or lazy computer users. There are a lot of people who would rather check their email and look at pics of the grandkids on an ipad with a dumbed down interface than fire up a laptop or desktop PC.

My wife's grandparents have moved almost exclusively to an ipad for their general computing. Apple has hit that market segment as well as the gadget freaks, people with too much money, and Apple fanboy segments, and they have a hit on their hands. I definitely didn't see it coming. I thought the ipad was DOA.

The market I didn't expect to pick up the ipad so quickly was the elderly and/or lazy computer users. There are a lot of people who would rather check their email and look at pics of the grandkids on an ipad with a dumbed down interface than fire up a laptop or desktop PC.

My wife's grandparents have moved almost exclusively to an ipad for their general computing. Apple has hit that market segment as well as the gadget freaks, people with too much money, and Apple fanboy segments, and they have a hit on their hands. I definitely didn't see it coming. I thought the ipad was DOA.

Typical elitist attitude shown by many people on this forum.

no doubt, these are generally luxury entertainment devices. that being said, at the right price, I could see myself buying one for reading in bed, or surfing the web on the couch, or entertaining the kids on a plane.

I'd probably only spend about $300 to $400 on one though. The announcement of the Ipad2 at $499 probably moved the time table forward for my future tablet (if there is one) to hit my price point. So, for that, I am happy.

It saved us on that long flight from Europe to America let me tell you. Also, when I want my two year old daughter to sit still for a haircut? Priceless.

It is not a dumbed down user interface. It is where all user interfaces will go. No one cares about programming and hacking and terminal, etc. People want to take pictures, play games, check email, facebook, etc. Also this thing will be great for teleconferencing with it's nice screen and easy portability. This is a huge hit. Also, a news flash guys: A lot of smart people find this to be a useful tool as well:D

Typical elitist attitude shown by many people on this forum.
typical reading comprehension failure demonstrated by many people on this forum

Also, a news flash guys: A lot of smart people find this to be a useful tool as well:D
No doubt. These are exceedingly useful to a lot of people. However the "app store" framework will never replace a full PC experience for many users. That's the fundamental difference for the grandparents, etc. between an ipad and a laptop. They would rather select from among 20 huge app icons rather than dig through a start menu. That works for them, but it doesn't work for me. At least not for daily computing.

typical reading comprehension failure demonstrated by many people on this forum

No doubt. These are exceedingly useful to a lot of people. However the "app store" framework will never replace a full PC experience for many users. That's the fundamental difference for the grandparents, etc. between an ipad and a laptop. They would rather select from among 20 huge app icons rather than dig through a start menu. That works for them, but it doesn't work for me. At least not for daily computing.

And there is the rub. You are .1% of the population. Programming is BORING. Hacking is BORING. Overclocking for a majority is a WASTE because it requires too much time and energy for most. This is REALITY. You market for consumers not IT guys.

And there is the rub. You are .1% of the population. Programming is BORING. Hacking is BORING. Overclocking for a majority is a WASTE because it requires too much time and energy for most. This is REALITY. You market for consumers not IT guys.
Right, I agree that there is a large percentage of consumers that will continue to shift toward the app store model for their daily computing. Your claim that "all" interfaces are heading in that direction though is too broad IMO.

Let me phrase it another way. IT Guys are irrelevant, I would market nothing to expert users because they represent no market share, and are not relevant to what is important: Consumers. Have you worked in IT? The execs are stupid and computer illiterate by and large.

The point to products are to market and make money.

I get that you will not use this product, but you are not relevant. I am not relevant. I mean come on. Two days ago I put together an i7 970 in under two hours, and overclocked it to 4 ghz stable running OSX. I like a Corsair Obsidian 800D for my case so I can get in and out quick. Do you realize how few people even understand any of what I just typed or care outside of this forum? This is a brilliant product and I will be buying a second one to go with my first iPad which I got with credit card points (it was essentially free outside of shipping).

Still having a hard time figuring out a use for the damn thing. On the run the smart phone is more portable and when I need something for real work the net book or laptop are actually useful while the Ipad is not really good for much out side of entertainment. The Ipad is basically an up sized smart phone, that falls in between a smart phones and a net books size while only having the smart phones capabilities.

It's as popular as it is useless as far as I can see though. So, to each their own I suppose.
I agree. I don't really care for tablets as a replacement for laptops. Almost anything the ipad can do, so can the iphone. The only worthwhile use I've found so far for the ipad is a replacements for textbooks.

The iPad is a great tool for media consumption. Photos, facetime/skype email, and light to moderate browsing. Even games are getting more and more impressive and that trend will continue in a big way with the iPad 2.

I plan on getting one come March 11th. Likely going to go for the base 16GB/wifi model. I don't plan on using it outside the home and on the rare occasion I do, I can tether it to my phone.

Typing on it is great,...:D

Are you on crack?? It doesnt even have a keyboard. That onscreen picture of a keyboard is the worst input device I have ever used.

Also the fact that the iPad has no USB or SD slot is FAIL. People paying $600+ for a device that does the same as a smart phone means there are a lot of idiots out there.

Also the fact that the iPad has no USB or SD slot is FAIL. People paying $600+ for a device that does the same as a smart phone means there are a lot of idiots out there.

But my smart phone has a SD slot... :p

I have both an iPod Touch and an Android phone. Unless iOS has had some major interface tweaks since the last time I updated, Android wins from a pure usability standpoint.

Not that that is "cool."

<sigh>

It's not a device for me. But I do know that there are benefits to be had from a gadget like it. I think it would be great for the medical or automotive industry. Being able to pull up a patient's info/charts on the fly and add notes accordingly? Great idea. For automotive, being able to have all your car/dealership manuals in a quick, easy to navigate format, maybe even have an exploded view of everything to navigate as a reference, or even a video demonstration of what needs to be done exactly? (You know. So they don't break your car more than they fix it. Thanks Toyota. Don't ever offer service warranties on vehicles not made by you, ever again. I could have broken my driver door control panel on my own just fine.)

By that logic, anyone who buys an expensive video card is an idiot too. After all, they could spend 1/3 the amount and simply lower their settings right?

The keyboard isn't as easy to type on as a physical keyboard but it is by far the best virtual keyboard i've used, and I've played with just about every tablet out there.

As a web surfing, e-reader, light gaming, email checking, and all around travel-type computer it is great. It fits comfortably in a backpack like a small book, and is very easy and intuitive to use. Typing on it is great.

checking email on a device with a dumbed down keyboard is great? I was round the house of people that are apple suckers too. Took them 30 minutes to order a pizza with that damned thing, and that site, like the ipaid, didn't even have flash and a simple gui, but watching them struggle with the thing was painful, and time consuming. Give them a netbook, would have taken 2 minutes, including deciding on toppings. These were by no way power users either, these were the "lightest" people in their pre 40s that I know, they own a laptop and an ipad and use the laptop to check mails and facebook.

There are a load of fluff crappy apps for it that people think would be useful for things like audio editing and such so you can say "oh hey look im using this for everything!" you can cook using a fire made from toilet paper, but it is no replacement, or even the same thing. They are just gimick nonsense. I wouldn't use a wireless mouse because of input lag, nevemind a overpriced wireless tablet with a basic touchscreen, and little to no accuracy. Its a broken device from a design perspective, I have heard endless people who own them complain about lack of a USB slot, or SD card, or the ability to print. But,,,well its still as broken, just thinner. Way to give people what they want. As it's enough power for you, I expect you wont be buying the new one. :p

Imagine if intel said, "hey I know you wanted smaller nm chips with better performance, but we listened to you, and decided we knew better than you peons, so here's the new chips, they have a tiny bit more performance, and theyre a bit thinner so you don't have that unsightly bump on the heat spreader, but it's only $100 more expensive. Oh and make sure you don't connect the HDDs wrong this time. Or use anything but macaffe."

Thought I would go ahead and type from my iPad here. The reality is that people here don't get it because you don't see a use for it. Not my problem. I like it, use it, and it serves my purposes just fine. Oh and the ordering the pizza part is easy as pie on an iPad. Reality is Apple= Consumer. MS = IT. IT= most people on Hardforum. Consumers = most of the civilized world. These are the facts. I have no idea why people get so pissed off about a product not marketed to them. You don't like it then don't buy it. Me I will get it.

And point of fact: if these other features are so important to people and are deal breakers why are these other tablets not flying offe shelves instead of the iPad? Why? Because IT opinions do not represent the opinions of the people spending money that is why. Simple economics: if the money is being made on the product you are WRONG. In all quantifiable statistics for business the bottom line is the bottom line. Here the bottom line is the iPad rocks.

And Jim Jones was a great social networker.

Taking 14 minutes to type 2 small lines of text, and being an experienced user is hardly a great portrayal of a device. Plus, you are someone of IT, finding use for a consumer orientated device, so cannot really claim to speak for the common folk. If I swung round the house of the people I used to live with (in their 60s) and gave them one, they would have no idea what to do with it. They wouldn't know how to type stuff in, or anything like that. On a notebook, there's buttons. Physical interaction. That is simpler.

But anyway, the reason the other devices aren't selling is because its a crap idea and they are equally crap. But the cult leader says its wonderful, so people feel compelled to buy one. When you ask people about it, most people would not see a use for it, but they see it on TV or in a magazine, or someone famous is using one so they must be doing something with it. Like why people buy celebrity endorsement perfume for more money. You sell the image, not the product. Take away the fluffy magic tricks and your left holding a dead rabbit in a hat.

But anyway, why are you getting another one, if the one you have already does everything you want? Do you really not have something better to spend $600/700 on?

Taking 14 minutes to type 2 small lines of text, and being an experienced user is hardly a great portrayal of a device. Plus, you are someone of IT, finding use for a consumer orientated device, so cannot really claim to speak for the common folk.

The sales figures speak for the common folk, actually.

the constant use of .1% is bullshit too....pulling facts out of your ass can be done by anyone. My folks and friend have no use for an iPad because they are familiar with Windows and the use of laptops. If wireless wasnt an inherent risk for my company, there are a few uses we could get out of a iPad though...would be nice to be able to check server connectivity from down in the server rooms and do troubleshooting....

How the hell did this catch ANYONE off gaurd? This is EXACTLY the device that all of the good sources said it would be for MONTHS and launched within 3 weeks to the year of the first iPad.

At any who Windows 8 beta should arrive in a few months, considering that a full blown Windows release for x86 and ARM which should include so goodies like Kinect and hopefully some of that courier tech, it will be nice to finally get something out there, even in beta that going to capture a LOT of attention.

Taking 14 minutes to type 2 small lines of text, and being an experienced user is hardly a great portrayal of a device. Plus, you are someone of IT, finding use for a consumer orientated device, so cannot really claim to speak for the common folk. If I swung round the house of the people I used to live with (in their 60s) and gave them one, they would have no idea what to do with it. They wouldn't know how to type stuff in, or anything like that. On a notebook, there's buttons. Physical interaction. That is simpler.

But anyway, the reason the other devices aren't selling is because its a crap idea and they are equally crap. But the cult leader says its wonderful, so people feel compelled to buy one. When you ask people about it, most people would not see a use for it, but they see it on TV or in a magazine, or someone famous is using one so they must be doing something with it. Like why people buy celebrity endorsement perfume for more money. You sell the image, not the product. Take away the fluffy magic tricks and your left holding a dead rabbit in a hat.

But anyway, why are you getting another one, if the one you have already does everything you want? Do you really not have something better to spend $600/700 on?

First off, I am an opera singer not an IT guy. Really. Second, I got the first one for free using credit card points. I had no intention of buying the first gen till I realized I could get it for free with my points I wasn't using anyway. Thirdly, the damn thing is really useful. Have you actually gone in and used one? When I have a performance that is the same day here in Germany it is great using it on the train. I setup my important email accounts, have all the video from the DVD of the performance I was doing the staging from, and even was able to import the pdf of the music I was singing that night. I mean backstage in the break I was able to go back through the video to double check where I needed to be and HEAR the orchestra to know where I had to give extra mustard on the high notes. For me and for my uses it is awesome. It is smaller than my opera scores, and I can carry it with me quickly and easily because it is an always on device.

I am also a composer. Have you see what this can do over wifi when running a modern DAW such as Logic, Cubase or Ableton Live? It is amazing. There are so many different uses for this thing it is unbelievable. It is portable, immediate, and very well designed. Also, if the specs of the iPad are so overpriced, then why hasn't someone replicated it (high quality IPN panel and all) for a cheaper price.

Hey, I got tons of power. I got my i7 970 at 3.81ghz (I will have 4 + ghz when I sit down and give a crap to tweak it) running OSX and I got my new 17" 2.3ghz Quad MBP on the way, so I got power in spades. Too much in fact. For me, the iPad is a simple useful tool for me to carry on short trips. I like it. I never said someone should or shouldn't like it. I just think it takes a real arrogant asshat to call people stupid if they do want one and find a use for it. Each to their own I think.

Thought I would go ahead and type from my iPad here. The reality is that people here don't get it because you don't see a use for it. Not my problem. I like it, use it, and it serves my purposes just fine. Oh and the ordering the pizza part is easy as pie on an iPad. Reality is Apple= Consumer. MS = IT. IT= most people on Hardforum. Consumers = most of the civilized world. These are the facts. I have no idea why people get so pissed off about a product not marketed to them. You don't like it then don't buy it. Me I will get it.

And point of fact: if these other features are so important to people and are deal breakers why are these other tablets not flying offe shelves instead of the iPad? Why? Because IT opinions do not represent the opinions of the people spending money that is why. Simple economics: if the money is being made on the product you are WRONG. In all quantifiable statistics for business the bottom line is the bottom line. Here the bottom line is the iPad rocks.

We just hate seeing people get shafted, and then try to defend the product after getting shafted. They are getting a tricked out youg for the price of a BMW, then claiming the Yugo is better than the BMW. It's their money and they are welcome to spend it how they like, but we are free to make fun of them for it.

I'm glad that it lit another fire under everyone's ass. Now everyone just needs to not screw it all up in the rush. The only good thing I do see though is that a lot of the promised tablets have features in their design that Apple has just released with iPad 2 (or hasn't yet and will be on the next version). Looking at it that way, of course Apple dumped it early, they make a ton of money on small improvements/additions, and their standard user base is fine swallowing that pill. They already had the platform so now they just have to tweak, everyone else is still finishing the platform.

As for the debate about how well tablets have fared and their computing power. I'm on the verge of buying a Nook Color to root just so I can have a larger screen to read forums and other sites on the couch with. I don't need a lot of power, that's not what a tablet is about for me. Nor is it for a lot of people.
Posted via Mobile Device

Say what you will about Apple. But they play this marketing game extremely well.

I wouldn't really say that. They just release a product and all the Apple die hards go on a bread and water diet so they can run out and buy their newest whatever.

I wouldn't really say that. They just release a product and all the Apple die hards go on a bread and water diet so they can run out and buy their newest whatever.
if that was the case apple products wouldn't sell as well as they do.

Apple's strength is clearly marketing.

We just hate seeing people get shafted, and then try to defend the product after getting shafted. They are getting a tricked out youg for the price of a BMW, then claiming the Yugo is better than the BMW. It's their money and they are welcome to spend it how they like, but we are free to make fun of them for it.

Really? And pray tell which tablet is better? Just curious.

Seriously dude, get over it. I bought the Macbook Pro too for a huge price. Tell me when a Windows machine with a 2820QM gets over 7 hours of battery life and a decent screen while you are at it.

People that waste time rooting a system to jack around or whatever instead of doing real work are getting shafted a lot worse than I am trust me...

The sales figures speak for the common folk, actually.

The sales figures and media coverage is what makes people presume that iPad is superior to other tablets without really looking at the specs or the capabilities of Android. On paper and in reality iPad lags behind each of these tablets in the comparison table, no matter how you spin it. Brand recognition aside, Apple has nothing that others do not. The app store is not a strong selling point either, IMO. Even the most expensive productivity apps do not even remotely match anything you can get for free on a netbook. Tablets still fail miserably in functionality compared to netbooks that are 3x cheaper and nearly as portable. iPad and other tablets are really nothing more than premium media players.

Or you make a lot of money:D Seriously, why the Apple Haterade here? If you were being forced to buy it I would understand. Why hate people for not wanting to hack and mod and figure things out? Some people just want their email and facebook. Nothing wrong with that I don't think.

If Apple was causing prices to go up on PC Products I would get it, but browsing a Fry's Ad you can get a serviceable laptop for well under a grand, and if you have good overclocking skills you can build a great desktop for under a grand as well.

I like the screen, design, battery life, and ability to run OSX and Windows. So I have a Macbook Pro. I like the iPad, and don't understand disliking people for wanting it. It is a damn innovative product. User interface is pretty damn important as are ergonomics, and PC's (especially notebooks) have been lagging for a LONG time. But I guess Anand from Anandtech is just an Apple fanboy right?

http://gigaom.com/apple/mac-market-share-up-in-u-s-down-worldwide-ios-to-blame/

Damn, 6% of the world is comprised of consumers then. I mean, "these are the facts" and all. Who knew that 90%+ of the population was IT?

The sales figures and media coverage is what makes people presume that iPad is superior to other tablets without really looking at the specs or the capabilities of Android. On paper and in reality iPad lags behind each of these tablets in the comparison table, no matter how you spin it. Brand recognition aside, Apple has nothing that others do not. The app store is not a strong selling point either, IMO. Even the most expensive productivity apps do not even remotely match anything you can get for free on a netbook. Tablets still fail miserably in functionality compared to netbooks that are 3x cheaper and nearly as portable. iPad and other tablets are really nothing more than premium media players.

Uhm, Android programs are so unstable it is a joke. It also helps to be fluent in terminal, and have some skills at programming. I seriously do not understand how people do not get that people want one click shopping for apps, and want ease of use, and a uniform user interface. Android flat out sucks compared to iOS as far uniformity.

Open source in general is a bad idea because there is no uniformity in the coding and programming, testing across a lot of platforms is sparse at best. I need my stuff to WORK. Period. Apple offers me tight integration, and it does a great job at what I need it to do: Stay in contact with my agents, opera houses, and to present my self on the world wide web as an artist.

Sorry, uniformity wins every time. That said, if MS comes out with something as awesome, I am all over it. I think Windows 7 is a fabulous OS, I just prefer Apple Notebooks.

Hey, for guys on here who are geniuses at some of this stuff I get it. For you, this is not so important. For me, Apple provides me with exactly what I want and need for my business. Period.

http://gigaom.com/apple/mac-market-share-up-in-u-s-down-worldwide-ios-to-blame/

Damn, 6% of the world is comprised of consumers then. I mean, "these are the facts" and all. Who knew that 90%+ of the population was IT?

And how many tablets have been sold relative to the iPad which is the point of this discussion? Like I thought, you got a bag of nothing but PC/IT Haterade. Wake me up when MS or Android or whoever does something significant for the post PC consumer market...

operaman, now you just sound like an Apple fanboy on Engadget. For the most part I have understood your position, now you've gotten extreme.

Also, FWIW, the Nook Color is $200-$250 and the rooting process takes an hour or less to make it into a full featured tablet.

On paper, the iPad is behind. In practical use, it's better than any other android based tablet i've used. The OS is more stable and FAR smoother as are the apps. The Motorola Xoom with all it's fancy hardware specs has a user and touch interface that is clunkier than the original iPad. All the while, the "overpriced" Apple piece is cheaper. IOS makes much better use of the hardware it has, period. My one complaint about the iPad is the lack of support for Flash. They really need to get off their high horse and give their customers the option by doing something as simple as implementing a "click 2 flash" application.

operaman, now you just sound like an Apple fanboy on Engadget. For the most part I have understood your position, now you've gotten extreme.

Also, FWIW, the Nook Color is $200-$250 and the rooting process takes an hour or less to make it into a full featured tablet.

Not in the same area code of the iPad sorry. You get what you pay for. Not sure how I can be an Apple fanboy when I have 3 desktop PC's and build my own. I simply prefer Apple's Consumer Products to those available from other companies. Again, integration is key, and Apple has it. Period. 15 million iPads sold do not lie. The number of iPhones, iPads, and iPods do not lie. Apple's profits and sales do not lie.

I'll say it again. I am kicking myself for not getting their stock back in 2001...

And if an Apple fanboy consists of thinking Apple is the best run tech company today outside of possibly Google then I am guilty as charged...

Back