• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Risen, anyone else interested?

Oh and make sure you delete the default Gothic font. It causes horrific stuttering in the game.

What!

Yes, my game is stuttering (on a Core i7/GTX 275) - you say that deleting the 'font' will solve this? How do I delete the font!
 
So is Gothic 3 worth the purchase then? I'm loving Risen and am close to wrapping up my first play through. I enjoyed it, but would have preferred a larger world.

This is just my opinion, but after playing Risen, Gothic 3 was a massive letdown. I also would've liked it much more if the world in Risen had been larger, but in this case quality wins out over quantity.

Gothic 3 just doesn't have the magic of Risen - if you were to go in hoping for an experience like the one you had in Risen, except with a larger world (this is what I was hoping for) then you're going to be disappointed.

And respectfully, I have to disagree very, very strongly about the combat in Gothic 3 being as good as the combat in Risen - wow, it's just not even close, imo. The animation in Risen of the nameless hero swinging his axe was just awesome. By the end of the game I had 5 combos working seamlessly together. Combat in Gothic 3 on the other hand is just downright crude! - and really not much fun. I'd go so far as to say it's the worst combat I've ever experienced, meaning that it's even worse than Oblivion.
 
What!

Yes, my game is stuttering (on a Core i7/GTX 275) - you say that deleting the 'font' will solve this? How do I delete the font!

There are better explanations available but essentially you delete (or move) the gothic.ttf from your gothic folder. The game will create another default font or you can place a font of your choice in the folder. The difference was night and day for me. YMMV.
 
I'm going to try that, because I've got stuttering.

Good luck. You might even find that you enjoy the game. :) Though I do agree that the combat in Gothic III is very basic compared to Risen. I didn't mean to paint it otherwise. At this point GIII is a nice distraction until another game comes along. Dragon Age, anyone?
 
Oh good lord, if you play Gothic 3:
- Get the community patch
- Be absolutely sure to delete or remove the gothic.ttf because if your like me you'll spend hours trying to fix something that's a 2 minute fix. This was ages ago when I first got the game
- Be forewarned that melee combat gets kind of annoying after a while because of the simple combat AI.

EDIT: I'm in for Dragon Age, I'm counting off the days until it comes out.
 
I think I might have turned into a Risen fanboy?

Right now, Risen is my game-of-the-year, even beating out the amazing Arkham Asylum. I bought Risen off Steam on an impulse, not really expecting to get much out of it, but already I'm playing my second game. I went the Don route with axes last time - this time I'm following the path of the mage.

I'm even more excited the second time than I was the first. It's really wonderful having all of my stats lowered again, and having to go through the leveling up again. The way you play the game is much different as a mage. Also, this should be obvious, but if you go the opposite route the second time, then the entire beginning of the game is completely different. It's almost like playing a new Risen.
 
I think I might have turned into a Risen fanboy?

Right now, Risen is my game-of-the-year, even beating out the amazing Arkham Asylum. I bought Risen off Steam on an impulse, not really expecting to get much out of it, but already I'm playing my second game. I went the Don route with axes last time - this time I'm following the path of the mage.

I'm even more excited the second time than I was the first. It's really wonderful having all of my stats lowered again, and having to go through the leveling up again. The way you play the game is much different as a mage. Also, this should be obvious, but if you go the opposite route the second time, then the entire beginning of the game is completely different. It's almost like playing a new Risen.

I'm pretty addicted myself. Like you, I'm working for Esteban and wielding axes on my first try, but I'm already excited to play again with magic. I am also curious how viable it would be to play as a bow-focused class. I'm guessing it would be extremely difficult :).

Speaking of extremely difficult... I managed to beat an Ash Beast last night. Damn things kill me in just two hits... I'm level 13.
 
I refuse to buy games from services like steam on principle. I gave it a chance when it first came out and again recently for Fear2 and was burned horribly both times by Valve. Only digital distribution system I'll support is gog.com

It's a great shame that Risen isn't available at The Future Shop or EB in Canada or even at the Amazon.ca website, because I played dozens of games this year and for me Risen is right near the top... actually it is at the top.

My advice is to keep an eye open. I kind of have a feeling that Risen might show up on the shelf of London Drugs. It'll probably be $49.99 and yes, and yes, that will absolutely be worth it.
 
Buying PC games in Canada is a nightmare these days. EB has basically given up on PC titles entirely. I really wanted to buy Risen and Crysis in hardcopy, but Steam was the only place I could find them.
 
I refuse to buy games from services like steam on principle. I gave it a chance when it first came out and again recently for Fear2 and was burned horribly both times by Valve. Only digital distribution system I'll support is gog.com

What problems did you have?
 
I refuse to buy games from services like steam on principle. I gave it a chance when it first came out and again recently for Fear2 and was burned horribly both times by Valve. Only digital distribution system I'll support is gog.com

Meh, your loss than. Steam had some hiccups in it's earlier days and even I was against it. But now, it's one of the only ways I buy games. No discs or keys to worry about and instant patch. It's come a long way.
 
Last edited:
Yea i buy all my games from steam nowadays. It saves me on tax and they usually have cheaper prices if you pre-order. On topic I bought this game the other day and it is amazingly fun.
 
Buying PC games in Canada is a nightmare these days. EB has basically given up on PC titles entirely. I really wanted to buy Risen and Crysis in hardcopy, but Steam was the only place I could find them.

Yup, in the past 12 months PC gaming has gone to hell in Canada. I blame the pirates for this.
 
I refuse to buy games from services like steam on principle. I gave it a chance when it first came out and again recently for Fear2 and was burned horribly both times by Valve. Only digital distribution system I'll support is gog.com
I feel the same way. I'm not paying the exact same price and not getting a physical disc and box/booklets. Plus I can't let anyone borrow it or eventually sell it. GoG's is good for old games you can't find anywhere else so it's actually worth it to have around. Steam really, has no purpose at all other than to get you as a customer to pay the same for less. But I don't expect Valve to see that since their heads are up their own asses.
 
Well, I use Steam out of convenience, for me it's worth the extra for the game to auto patch, be download able on all my rigs and because it takes me just as long to go to the store the next day (I usually buy games ~10-12 at night) with 50/20 FiOS. for an internet connection.
 
Yea Steam isn't for everyone, but I like it. Nothing to store and I don't resell my games. I still fire up old ones from time to time. Works for me. Choice is a wonderful thing. :)
 
Finally beat the game last weekend (just in time for Borderlands in fact) and actually enjoyed the dungeon crawling of Chapter 3 & 4 but the end was such let down. Compared to the rest of the game the final boss fight was way too easy and the last cutscene/finale was about 5 seconds long.

Anyway, the game still gets a A rating in my book since it was such a blast to play.
 
What problems did you have?

Most recently the inability to connect to the steam server to install FEAR2. Other games install fine via steam but FEAR2 would always time out in the log at creating local files. After months of useless back and forth with steam support I gave up on it

What Canada needs is a good online gaming store like go gamer in the USA. Amazon.ca doesn't offer overnight or even next day shipping and they are horrible when it comes to stocking pc games. If they ever have a item for pre-order expect to wait upwards of a month before they get enough copies in to finally ship your order. Futureshop is no better in this regard.
 
I was pretty disappointed with the graphics. There's just a horrible quality to it that gives me a headache. It's all very washed out and the fov is terribly low.
 
I was pretty disappointed with the graphics. There's just a horrible quality to it that gives me a headache. It's all very washed out and the fov is terribly low.

The graphics were awesome.

At one point I was down near a beach, and the nameless hero was standing by the side of a river as the sun was going down. So much was happening on screen at once that it was enough just to stand there and look around: the river was flowing beautifully, the sun was setting and burning through the clouds (the sky in Risen is the best sky I've ever seen in a game - the same can be said for the sun... and the god-rays don't cripple your system like they do in that other game which I won't presently mention), the plants and the bushes and the trees were all moving in the wind, birds were flying in the distance. Also, the depth-of-field effect that was used in this game is incredibly charming and really makes you feel like you're in a fantasy setting.

This video is a pretty decent example of what Risen is capable of, but I saw things in Risen that were much better looking even than this.

It's a beautiful game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeYv8waTqBE

Makes me want to play it again right now.
 
I was pretty disappointed with the graphics. There's just a horrible quality to it that gives me a headache. It's all very washed out and the fov is terribly low.

I don't know what game you were playing, but the general consensus is that the game is gorgeous
 
I was pretty disappointed with the graphics. There's just a horrible quality to it that gives me a headache. It's all very washed out and the fov is terribly low.

Your machine should be able to play this thing maxed out like I did.

I don't know what you were seeing to come away with this kind of impression. I thought the game was gorgeous with everything maxed out myself.
 
Holy mackerel I forgot to mention the waves hitting the rocks on the shore - you'll be standing there minding your own business when suddenly, whoosh, a wave will crash into the rocks and send the flotsam soaring into the sky. Simply awesome.
 
Risen's graphics are incredible. I'm normally not impressed by gfx but man, I was at the west coast vassal keep while it was night and raining, I was blown away.
I was pretty disappointed with the graphics. There's just a horrible quality to it that gives me a headache. It's all very washed out and the fov is terribly low.
... on the 360? I just don't see how you could feel that way about the PC graphics.
 
on the 360? I just don't see how you could feel that way about the PC graphics.

It must be, I forgot all about the 360 version. I remember PB back when Gothic was released saying they were going to do an Xbox version and it never came to fruition, good thing too I suppose.
 
No, it's on the PC, everything maxed out. Even the videos & screenshots people posted don't look impressive to me. I just don't look the low res textures and the whole out of focus view. HL2 looks better to me.
 
No, it's on the PC, everything maxed out. Even the videos & screenshots people posted don't look impressive to me. I just don't look the low res textures and the whole out of focus view. HL2 looks better to me.

1236526611279.jpg
 
I need a Pro Tip. Below is a spoiler





--------

I got the triplets to the temple entrance and Olf said to let him know once I find the entrance ... well they are standing there. What else do I do? Do I just play on the rest of the quest and this will finish up or is it the end of the quest just dropping them off and tell Fincher they are on it? I thought I could go in or something ....
 
I need a Pro Tip
I'm pretty sure you need to go back to Fincher and fill him in so he can send a few fighters to the ruin to help out. Later he'll tell you that he hasn't heard any news the ruins and ask you to go check on them. ... but I'm not 100% sure on this.

I've got a random question that maybe somebody can answer. Without trying to spoil anything here... I'm on chapter 2. I met up with Henrick by the rope bridge and he asked him to come hunting with him, if you know what I'm saying. There's a point where we get to a fork in the path and he says, "I think we should go North. I've got a bad feeling about the path to the east." So naturally I quick-save and run east to see what his bad feeling is all about. He keeps telling me that we should turn back yadda yadda so I'm getting pretty excited. We come across an Ogre... which wasn't easy but it wasn't exactly epic either, and then later on the "east" path joins up again with the "north" path I was originally supposed to take.

Am I missing something here? Was the Ogre all that Henrick was scared about, or is there something else on that path that I should be interested in?

Another question: while looking for Eldric I ran into an Undead Priest off in his own corner. I had hoped he'd be guarding some sweet loot, but all I could find was a scroll of Inferno. No secret passages, no treasure chests, nothing. Did I miss something there too?
 
I'm pretty sure you need to go back to Fincher and fill him in so he can send a few fighters to the ruin to help out. Later he'll tell you that he hasn't heard any news the ruins and ask you to go check on them. ... but I'm not 100% sure on this.

I've got a random question that maybe somebody can answer. Without trying to spoil anything here... I'm on chapter 2. I met up with Henrick by the rope bridge and he asked him to come hunting with him, if you know what I'm saying. There's a point where we get to a fork in the path and he says, "I think we should go North. I've got a bad feeling about the path to the east." So naturally I quick-save and run east to see what his bad feeling is all about. He keeps telling me that we should turn back yadda yadda so I'm getting pretty excited. We come across an Ogre... which wasn't easy but it wasn't exactly epic either, and then later on the "east" path joins up again with the "north" path I was originally supposed to take.

Am I missing something here? Was the Ogre all that Henrick was scared about, or is there something else on that path that I should be interested in?
Spoiler
Well I just finished that part (still in chapter 1 though) and the path splits after the rope bridge but comes back together. There are, I can say, 4 'big' fights on that island. At level 12 I can not kill the Ogre or the Ashbeast yet. Besides those '2 fights, 2 other 'big fights'/quest are on the island... it should be easy to spot though if you completely go through it.

As for Fincher, like I said, I went back and talked to him, said the 3 are in place and he gave me a reward and the quest ended there. He then said something like 'keep an eye out for what's inside' or something. Olf said to let him know once I find the entrance ... but we're standing at the entrance. Neither the triplets or Fincher have anything left to say to me right now and I'm completely stuck.
 
*shrugs* I don't know how to help you then. I had already reported back to Fincher before having ever found the entrance. When I finally got around to doing that quest, it gave me a quest update as soon as I came near the entrance, and everyone was already inside.
 
*shrugs* I don't know how to help you then. I had already reported back to Fincher before having ever found the entrance. When I finally got around to doing that quest, it gave me a quest update as soon as I came near the entrance, and everyone was already inside.
I might have done the quest in the wrong order then. I guess I was supposed to go to the shore and get them, then go to the temple and then back to Fincher. I went to Fincher while the team was at the shore then when I went back to the Temple they were there...
 
Bumping an old thread, but I just started playing this game (twice actually...) and I'm really enjoying it. I played it for a few hours and ended up stuck where I couldn't progress any further in chapter 1 due to an unpatched but known bug, so I restarted and chose the bandit path, which I originally planned on anyway (before I was drafted by the inquisition).

I find this game much more enjoyable than Dragon Age.

I think some of the graphics in this game are great, the sky, a lot of the landscapes, and the viewing distances are done rather well, however, my first impression wasn't an impressed one. I have the graphics turned up to max and have no frame rate issues or anything, but the human textures are pretty awful, and when there's a busy forest ahead, it's kind of difficult to look at and focus. There's also a weird grainy film that you can see applied over some of the terrain, it feels like it's right on the screen, moving with your camera.

That said, good game! I'm having a hard time spending my points on stuff because I just don't know what to use them on. Will prospecting come in handy in the future? How about blacksmithing?
 
eh, it takes getting used to. prospecting/blacksmithing will help on the soldier path, for making good swords. or you can just find a few, so you might want to skip them. alchemy is good. keep all the hero's crowns you find, they can be converted into points potions > 100, especially with alchemy. sword fighting, to be honest I think you can take everything down without putting any points there. the move to learn is the slash jump right repeat. Effective on everything. there is a 1/1 relation between points put into strength and damage done, same for intelligence/magic and dexterity/ranged weapons. anyway I enjoyed it. The only caution I have is to not rape the countryside too much if you might become a mage, as the enemies do not respawn and you then can't move those points into the mage talents.
 
Back
Top