• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Risen, anyone else interested?

If you want to have fun, raise your strength and use fists. I don't know if it's a bug or feature, but nobody can block punches haha.
 
Can any one explain exactly how the leveling system works? Since I purchased the Steam version, I've yet to look through the manual. I'm assuming it's in PDF form some where...

I'm just a bit confused on how the system works. Can you only upgrade a certain amounts of skills/stats per lvl? I know we can purchase skills (i.e. Swords, Smithing etc) and stats (i.e. STR, DEX etc). Is this it? I guess I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. This also may help otehrs just starting out.
 
You use the points to train physical stats (strength/dexterity) or skills (swords, bows, sneak, skinning, pick pocketing, etc).
 
You use the points to train physical stats (strength/dexterity) or skills (swords, bows, sneak, skinning, pick pocketing, etc).

Stupid question, but do we get a certain amount of points per level? I've seen points mentioned, but have no clue where to find out how many I've got haha. Sorry if I'm being thick lol.
 
hit c and bring up char screen.
points are shown in area with str and other stats, if i remember correctly
 
They are called experience point. You go to a trainer an pay him to train you. There are different types of trainers. You can't train unless you gain experience points. These experience points are located under as said under the c(character).:)
 
Every time you level up you get 10 “Learning Points” (LP). Your currently available LP’s are listed on the Character screen (press c) at the bottom of your stats. LP’s are used to level your stats/skills/abilities at trainers. These LP’s will simply accumulate as you level if you don’t spend them (like an experience pool) and there is no limit to how many you can spend at once.

To level your stats/skills/abilities etc. you must find the appropriate trainer and spend (x) – LP’s plus (x) – Gold (where x = the amount charged by that trainer to teach you that skill).
 
Also, there's a level cap for each statistic.

When you reach a strength of 100, for example, then the trainers will no longer train you. It's not very difficult to reach 100 either. This is the reason you should invest in 3 levels of alchemy - you'll be able to brew up potions that will add 5 permanent points to your stats.

The vital ingredient in these potions is Hero's Crown - remember that word. There are only about 20 of these scattered throughout the world. But if you find all 20 of them then you can boost your stats by 100.

This is also the reason you shouldn't drink these potions until you've maxed out one of your stats - because the trainer will stop training you at 100. So, for example, let's say you train to 100 in Strength. Meanwhile, you've been collecting Hero's Crown plants and have brewed up, say, 10 permanent 5 point health potions. As soon as you train to 100 (the cap) you then chug down all 10 potions, and suddenly your strength stat is a whopping 150!

I actually had 12 strength potions on me, and on my last training level I went from Strength 90, all the way up to Strength 160 - man, did I ever feel powerful.
 
Another quick little note about training. If you've got a ring or amulet that boosts a skill, take it OFF before training because training costs are based on your effective skill level, not the base skill level. I don't know why.

I picked up Risen on Wednesday evening and have been playing a ridiculous amount. I found a ring that gives +1 axe skill, so I went with axes and found it pretty frustrating that I couldn't block small animals until skill level 6.

I've also decided that blacksmithing is nigh useless as you can only make swords, and they're nothing special. There's lots of opportunity in this game to make blacksmithing more interesting, but it looks like the devs didn't get around to it. Goldsmithing almost redeems the skill, but you can find better jewelery eventually. I kinda wish I hadn't invested any LP into it and prospecting.
 
blacksmithing/goldsmithing is really really really powerful , that's all i'm going to say, as to not spoil it.

only alchemy is more useful, but alchemy is really needed, and you would also be gimping yourself if you didn't take it.
 
I just got back into the game as well. I am on my way to becoming a Warrior of The Order.
 
:p

But seriously, I'll probably try it again on my new rig and let the guy live (like I'm supposed to).

Sorry if I came across as rude, I just had a friend that would kill everything in games like Oblivion and Fallout 3. Then he would turn around and say the game was boring...
 
I just got done playing the Demo, and I was loving it. I actually got a good hour or so out of the demo. Pretty generous if you ask me. I'm the type of person that loves to explore, I'm thinking this is going to be for me.

Gonna pick this up when I can squeeze it in my budget, hopefully in a week or so... I seen some people mentioning goldsmithing/blacksmithing... there's actual professions in this game to craft items? I'm digging that idea.

I love how you are just this Average Joe washed up on sea, and you can work your way up. Rather then Elder Scrolls games where you feel like a naturally trained fighter. I feel like I really had to work towards new things.
 
I just beat it tonight at around 40 hours of play time. It's an excellent game. I had a lot of fun with it. And I finished it just in time for Borderlands!
 
I just got done playing the Demo, and I was loving it. I actually got a good hour or so out of the demo. Pretty generous if you ask me. I'm the type of person that loves to explore, I'm thinking this is going to be for me.

Gonna pick this up when I can squeeze it in my budget, hopefully in a week or so... I seen some people mentioning goldsmithing/blacksmithing... there's actual professions in this game to craft items? I'm digging that idea.

I love how you are just this Average Joe washed up on sea, and you can work your way up. Rather then Elder Scrolls games where you feel like a naturally trained fighter. I feel like I really had to work towards new things.

Yeah... if you press C, you'll see your character sheet, I think even if you're running the demo. You can see the weapons skills you can train and the auxiliary skills too.

The main reason why Oblivion feels so ridiculous at the start is because all the enemies are scaled to your level, so there's never a real challenge. Fortunately, there are plenty of mods that change that. If you haven't already, it's totally worth going through Oblivion again with mods. It's a totally different game.
 
On a side note, I bought Gothic 3 because of Risen, and actually it's quite a disappointment. Risen had a magical quality about it that just sucked me right in. Gothic 3 is missing that. It might've been a good game when it was released, but by today's standards it just seems kind of antiquated.

The combat in Risen, once I learned how the combos worked, and once I learned how to use my shield, was just fun. In Gothic 3 combat is no fun at all!

I wouldn't want to anger somebody who loves Gothic 3 - but for me, if you've started with Risen, and you're thinking about Gothic 3, I'd have to say, regrettably, that you should probably pass on it.
 
The combat in Risen, once I learned how the combos worked, and once I learned how to use my shield, was just fun. In Gothic 3 combat is no fun at all!
I never got into Gothic 3, but I'm debating it. I'm curious if your opinion was formed before getting full skill points in a particular weapon type, and if you've taken into account mods/patches that I hear have fixed up Gothic 3 quite a bit.
 
Risen is better. It is a few steps above gothic 3. If you have not played risen and want a cheap rpg that has some meat on it, gothic 3 is ok with the patch.
 
I always wanted to try gothic 3 and the forsaken gods but never got around to it, but i did try the risen demo... AWESOME game, can't wait for it's release
 
I always wanted to try gothic 3 and the forsaken gods but never got around to it, but i did try the risen demo... AWESOME game, can't wait for it's release

Risen has been out for several weeks.
 
In terms of Gothic, Gothic 3 is easily considered the weakest point of the series and the expansion is horrid.

Gothic II + Night of the raven expansion is the best part of the Gothic series imo.
 
Having spent the afternoon playing Gothic 3, tonight I went back to Risen - I was shocked at how much better Risen is.

Graphically it just blows Gothic 3 out of the water, but the combat is much smoother as well - those combos in Risen with the axe are just wonderful.

I hate to do this... because I always feel that it's a bit of a defeat... but I think I'm going to give up on Gothic 3 after just a few hours spent with it - it's just not working for me. I'd rather just play Risen again, this time as a mage. I think that's what I'm going to do.
 
Unless you are in Canada. Haven't found it anywhere yet.

Buy it off Steam. It's my game-of-the-year right now. I'm putting it just a little bit ahead of Arkham Asylum.

So many games, yet so few of them end up owning me.

Risen was one such game.
 
OK the combat is tough but if you only fight mobs you should be fighting you can do fine w/o cheating. It's also irritating how some mobs are higher level, even if they have the same name as lower level versions, so you end up taking on stuff you expect to beat and find out it's much stronger than you expected. Otherwise .... this game is pretty god damn good. I think I'm hooked.
 
OK the combat is tough but if you only fight mobs you should be fighting you can do fine w/o cheating. It's also irritating how some mobs are higher level, even if they have the same name as lower level versions, so you end up taking on stuff you expect to beat and find out it's much stronger than you expected. Otherwise .... this game is pretty god damn good. I think I'm hooked.

Wait until you reach chapter four - if you're balanced properly then you'll slice through everything.

Wolves will go flying up into the air, literally, all around you. You'll blast through a half a dozen ghouls in literally seconds.

I'd say that this is my only 'complaint' about the game - that it seems a tad imbalanced near the end.
 
Wait until you reach chapter four - if you're balanced properly then you'll slice through everything.

Wolves will go flying up into the air, literally, all around you. You'll blast through a half a dozen ghouls in literally seconds.

I'd say that this is my only 'complaint' about the game - that it seems a tad imbalanced near the end.

Imbalanced and one dimensional in ch3 and 4. Heck, I only had one quest in my journal during those chapters. It might as well have said:

"Beat the Game"
 
Going to put my plug in for Gothic III. I finished Risen. Very nice game. So, I dug out my copy of Gothic III that I put on the shelf after many (bugged) attempts at playing it. Downloaded the CP 1.73 and am replaying it. I'm actually enjoying it. The graphics are clearly inferior to Risen but the combat and gameplay seem to be on par. So if you have a copy of Gothic, give it another try. If not, Amazon has it for as little as 2-3 bucks. Oh and make sure you delete the default Gothic font. It causes horrific stuttering in the game.
 
Imbalanced and one dimensional in ch3 and 4. Heck, I only had one quest in my journal during those chapters. It might as well have said:

"Beat the Game"

Very true.

You can still come and go as you please through all 4 chapters but the narrative all but makes you feel like you almost can't or you may as well not bother.
 
Going to put my plug in for Gothic III. I finished Risen. Very nice game. So, I dug out my copy of Gothic III that I put on the shelf after many (bugged) attempts at playing it. Downloaded the CP 1.73 and am replaying it. I'm actually enjoying it. The graphics are clearly inferior to Risen but the combat and gameplay seem to be on par. So if you have a copy of Gothic, give it another try. If not, Amazon has it for as little as 2-3 bucks. Oh and make sure you delete the default Gothic font. It causes horrific stuttering in the game.

LOL, same here. After Risen, I finally wanted to finish Gothic 3. I burned myself out on it back in May and took a break. The world in G3 is probably 10 times bigger than Risen. If you want even LESS hand holding than even what Risen gives you, then you'll like Gothic 3 with the 1.73 patch.
 
Has anybody figured out how to enable AA for Nvidia cards in this game? I tried doing the trick with nHancer where you apply Risen to Vanguard profile but it didn't work. Maybe I did it wrong...
 
LOL, same here. After Risen, I finally wanted to finish Gothic 3. I burned myself out on it back in May and took a break. The world in G3 is probably 10 times bigger than Risen. If you want even LESS hand holding than even what Risen gives you, then you'll like Gothic 3 with the 1.73 patch.

So is Gothic 3 worth the purchase then? I'm loving Risen and am close to wrapping up my first play through. I enjoyed it, but would have preferred a larger world.
 
So is Gothic 3 worth the purchase then? I'm loving Risen and am close to wrapping up my first play through. I enjoyed it, but would have preferred a larger world.

Sure. It's cheap and the community patches have fixed a ton of issues.
 
Back
Top