RIAA Going After Download.com

Is there a law against predatory lawsuits? If so wouldn't it apply to this? Would it not in this case be best to file a suit against the program makers, but they are not because they know the makers probably have zero dollars compared to download.com which has millions.

That tax never actually went into effect, though.

Umm yes it did, we have some of the worst tariffs on blank media which is what the judge put into effect.

You might not see it on your bills, but it's there and keeping prices higher then they should be.

The people that do is a very small minority of people.

I sure don't rely on youtube to get music audio rips.

I hope the RIAA keeps suing stupid shit that won't win in court. Maybe it'll bankrupt them?

I believe this entire case was already handled way back when, when Universal sued... ironically Sony for allowing people the ability to record what was on the radio, Universal universally lost.. Sony prevailed.. so once again we have stuff being streamed to us, all the data is sent right at us, it gets into our computers proof of which is that our computers decode everything that plays video and audio, and the RIAA is supposed to believe that you shouldn't be able to save any of that?

I swear someone needs to go all terrorist and blow them fuckers up just for being the douchebags that they are.

Umm yes it did, we have some of the worst tariffs on blank media which is what the judge put into effect.

You might not see it on your bills, but it's there and keeping prices higher then they should be.

Umm, no, it didn't.

There is no money that actually goes from the sale of blank media to the Canadian version of the RIAA. That was an offer the Judge made when he had absolutely no authority to promise and nothing actually happened. I know what article you read too, because I read the same damn one and thought the same thing. However, simple common sense lead me to realize that there would be no way to sell the blank media for the price they do sell them for, and pay for the actual production of the media and the markup for the local store to sell them in addition to the 'taxes'. Investigating it proved it was basically an empty promise.

If the blank CDs or DVDs you're buying in Canada are priced too high, then it's the store's fault or the manufacturer's fault.

Umm, no, it didn't.

There is no money that actually goes from the sale of blank media to the Canadian version of the RIAA. That was an offer the Judge made when he had absolutely no authority to promise and nothing actually happened. I know what article you read too, because I read the same damn one and thought the same thing. However, simple common sense lead me to realize that there would be no way to sell the blank media for the price they do sell them for, and pay for the actual production of the media and the markup for the local store to sell them in addition to the 'taxes'. Investigating it proved it was basically an empty promise.

If the blank CDs or DVDs you're buying in Canada are priced too high, then it's the store's fault or the manufacturer's fault.

http://neil.eton.ca/copylevy.shtml
http://www.cpcc.ca/en/the-cpcc/enforcement
http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/decisions/copying-copie-e.html
http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=38608

Need more? we have tariff's, we have been paying tariffs for 10 years now, and it's not going to end anytime soon.

as for the selling costs of some media not high enough to cover the initial $0.21 per disc tariff, like any other tax there will always be those who evade it.

As far back as I can remember, Windows always came with Sound Recorder no? I haven't checked in many years since I have no use for it, but really, switch your recording source to WAVE and just hit record... Maybe a suing of Microsoft should be done as well? That'd be interesting. :)

Not a fair comparison.

MegaUpload was deliberating rewarding prolific uploaders of pirates content.
Download.com offers a program that allows you to pirate. Why stop at this one program, I'm sure they host uTorrent and other P2P applications?

MegaUpload is a file sharing service that allows you to upload and download whatever you want. They just didn't police it very well. Both services are being attacked for piracy that indirectly involves them, and not directly.

It's like me selling you knife and you stab someone to death with it. Am I to be held responsible for what you do with a knife? For all I know you needed to carve wood or clean a fish.

Actually, they made a similar attempt in Canada, when they tried to sue to make it illegal to copy songs off the radio. The judge got pissed at their Canadian equivalent, and declared it legal to copy music like that, but offered the music industry a tax on blank media sold that could be used to copy music.

That tax never actually went into effect, though.

Because blank media is ALREADY TAXED for this reason.

Download.com offers a program that allows you to pirate. Why stop at this one program, I'm sure they host uTorrent and other P2P applications?

MegaUpload is a file sharing service that allows you to upload and download whatever you want. They just didn't police it very well. Both services are being attacked for piracy that indirectly involves them, and not directly.

It's like me selling you knife and you stab someone to death with it. Am I to be held responsible for what you do with a knife? For all I know you needed to carve wood or clean a fish.

There are TONS of legit uses for the software. Perhaps the developers should put it in the EULA to not use it on copyrighted material. Tons of stuff on youtube thats not copyrited.

You can copy youtube videos with fraps too.

I just point back to the hammer/hardware store analogy earlier in the thread. Its spot on.

You mean CNET's download.com?

You mean ABC owned CNET's download.com?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the RIAA are not winning this one...

I thought CBS bought CNet/ZDNet, but in any case, it's a large media site, so I agree that I don't see RIAA winning that. But I do see CNET removing the software from download.com. :(

I guess it's only a matter of time before the RIAA goes after Mozilla for offering the Easy YouTube Downloader add-on for Firefox. :eek:

I guess it's only a matter of time before the RIAA goes after Mozilla for offering the Easy YouTube Downloader add-on for Firefox. :eek:
And the family members of Mozilla employees for being familially associated with the aforementioned gross infringers.

RIAA you can kiss my arse and goto hell. Now how about you go and just die. Before you die tho can you please take the MPAA with you.

F off RIAA/MPAA

I don't know what to say anymore. This is just getting rediculously rediculous. Yes, I just used the same word twice in a different way. It's the only way I can think of putting it.

Next up: MPAA going after NASA for the faked moon landing films and the actors in them never registering with the actor's guild properly.

And after they establish that, which will be the tougher case due to time passage. They plan on going after them for all of these faked Mars videos and robots ideas they took from movies.

You were warned NASA! *shakes fist*

After they squeeze the money from NASA, then it's time to hit all the "News" coverage for the footage they shared illegally and any and all "memorabilia" and "collector" items styled after these infringing works....down each and every individual who ever owned/sold/look at pictures online (because you downloaded the picture, obviously). You infringing pirate bastards.

I don't know what to say anymore. This is just getting rediculously rediculous. Yes, I just used the same word twice in a different way. It's the only way I can think of putting it.

Using the same word twice is nuts, Mister Squirrel! :p

How is download.com responsible for what someone decides to do with a program they're hosting?

Exactly and there's a ton of legitimate uses. There's probably 100 non RIAA videos to every 1 RIAA video if that ratio isn't even more absurd in the favour of the general public's videos. If someone has given a great lecture on atheist like the AngryAtheist and I decide I want to listen to that FREE youtube video while im on a treadmill at a gym? (Perfect app to do so).

If I want to download a free ameteur comedy sketch someone posted to listen to while on a car trip or driving to work? (Perfect app to do so).

Its like the RIAA is going to start suing hotels for providing free WiFi soon on the suspicion that some customers might possibly use it to live-stream music from an Internet Radio Station and record it somehow. Let alone that 95% of the customer's are probably using it to check facebook, work/private emails, general surfing, vacation planning/reservations.

Also misspelled. :p

It's kind of crazy how often I see "ridiculous" misspelled that way.

Firefox spellchecker does not highlight it, so figured it was right. :p

But is it really with an i? It's verbally said with an e. Gah English is so messed sometimes. :D

Would you say that the number of times you see it misspelled is...ridiculous?

I would say it's also...the WORD OF THE DAY!

scaled.php

Back