Review: Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 on 8800GT (dialup beware!)

A small point about cleaning the ram chips. Rubbing alcohol will not work. It also leaves a residue. 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (available at any drug store in Canada, at least) is far better and cleans everything up nicely.

Really nice review. I'm amazed that it compares so closely to the Thermalright HR-03 gt stats.

I just picked one up here

Confirmed via email in stock and shipping today. I may have missed it in the review, but is this the rev.1 or the rev.2?

(Great site, btw.)

Forgot to ask one other thing: did you have any issues with the sinks sticking to the RAM? (not sure why I'm asking considering I just bought one... guess I'll find out in 2-3 days lol)

Really nice review. I'm amazed that it compares so closely to the Thermalright HR-03 gt stats.

I just picked one up here

Confirmed via email in stock and shipping today. I may have missed it in the review, but is this the rev.1 or the rev.2?

(Great site, btw.)

Forgot to ask one other thing: did you have any issues with the sinks sticking to the RAM? (not sure why I'm asking considering I just bought one... guess I'll find out in 2-3 days lol)

This is the Rev. 1 unit, while the Rev. 2 unit has been announced I don't think it's supposed to be actually available until sometime in February.

I didn't have a single issue with the ramsinks sticking. I've said it before and I'll say it again - the people who had these issues DID NOT clean the BGA modules correctly. :) The thermal pads NVIDIA uses for the memory are so greasy and the BGA memory modules substrate is so pourous that it takes some chemical warfare to get them really clean. A few swipes with alcohol (99% or otherwise) isn't going to do it.

I use and totally recommend the 2 part thermal surface cleaning kit from Arctic Silver:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010

This kit will last you YEARS probably and is well worth the measily $6 that it costs.

If you don't want to buy that then I suggest using a Xylene based cleaner like 'GOOF OFF' to dissolve and remove all of the greasy residue, and then use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol to finish off.

You also need to use firm and even pressure for 20 - 30 seconds when applying each ramsink, this will help insure an even and tight bond.

I completely agree on the cleaning solution. I honestly don't know what I'd do without that stuff.

Good to hear about the sinks. That's the one thing I was sweating (I have plenty of cable ties lol).

Thanks for the review. Sealed the deal for me.

-Hit

This is the Rev. 1 unit, while the Rev. 2 unit has been announced I don't think it's supposed to be actually available until sometime in February.

I didn't have a single issue with the ramsinks sticking. I've said it before and I'll say it again - the people who had these issues DID NOT clean the BGA modules correctly. :) The thermal pads NVIDIA uses for the memory are so greasy and the BGA memory modules substrate is so pourous that it takes some chemical warfare to get them really clean. A few swipes with alcohol (99% or otherwise) isn't going to do it.

I use and totally recommend the 2 part thermal surface cleaning kit from Arctic Silver:

This kit will last you YEARS probably and is well worth the measily $6 that it costs.

If you don't want to buy that then I suggest using a Xylene based cleaner like 'GOOF OFF' to dissolve and remove all of the greasy residue, and then use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol to finish off.

You also need to use firm and even pressure for 20 - 30 seconds when applying each ramsink, this will help insure an even and tight bond.

w00t, gonna try the goof off plus 99% alcohol then! THANKS!

isopropyl alcohol is rubbing alcohol. Strengths commonly vary at your local drugstore. Just be sure to use the 99% versions as opposed to the very common 70-80% garbage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

At the consumer level they are presented as entirely different products for different uses. 99% isopropyl alcohol carries less impurities and is a better solvent, empirically. At the same time, Goof Off is mostly xylene. It's a good cleaner, especially for thermal tape adhesive.

isopropyl alcohol is rubbing alcohol. Strengths commonly vary at your local drugstore. Just be sure to use the 99% versions as opposed to the very common 70-80% garbage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

At the consumer level they are presented as entirely different products for different uses. 99% isopropyl alcohol carries less impurities and is a better solvent, empirically. At the same time, Goof Off is mostly xylene. It's a good cleaner, especially for thermal tape adhesive.

So, what's the difference between revision 1 and rev. 2 of S1 exactly? thanks (sorry I'm too lazy to research right now :p)

What case are you using? I don't recognize that one from that angle. I see some people complain that the cooler sticks out too much and can keep the case door from closing.

I know there was a really nice review done on her but this one really made me want to get that cooler!

Just to make sure, it's this one that you have? S1...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186016

What case are you using? I don't recognize that one from that angle. I see some people complain that the cooler sticks out too much and can keep the case door from closing.

My case is the Antec Solo which is also very similar to the current generation Antec Sonata cases. The Accelero S1 fits with room to spare. :)

I know there was a really nice review done on her but this one really made me want to get that cooler!

Just to make sure, it's this one that you have? S1...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186016

That's the one! :)

Great review! I was just selling mine with Thermalright PVM sinks for $25 SHIPPED in the For Sale and NO ONE bought it. No biggy, as it's not that expensive. I just threw it back on :D

So, what's the difference between revision 1 and rev. 2 of S1 exactly? thanks (sorry I'm too lazy to research right now :p)

From what I understand, the Rev. 02 is supposed to come with a somewhat flexible mounting system that is intended to help ensure that the heatsink is mounted completely flat against the GPU. When you try to install the Rev. 01, you'll understand how difficult this can be. Each screw turn causes the heat sink to tilt toward the screw, so you have to be sure to tighten the thing very evenly.

I love my S1! im still using an older XFX 7900GS Extreme card, but it ran hot as well. My 7900 now idles at 43C. While I was hoping for lower idle temps, what amazes me is that my temp logs show that it has never climbed over 50C. Thats only a 7C change under heavy loads for over an hour.This is completely fanless, and Im also not using the negative pressure configuration that AC recommends, but I do have a lot of airflow in my CM 690 case. Best cooling mod I've made since my CM Gemini II.

I installed a new Accelero S1 yesterday. With a 140mm Yate Loom in the side panel and another on the bottom of my Cooler Master CM690 case that's aimed quite well on the cooler idle temp is 39C and peak is 50C during 3Dmark06.

I was on the verge of getting this for an 8800GT in a Dell XPS 420 but there is a huge plastic bar that runs right across the top of the card. There's no clearance for the S1 unless I hack the bar apart but it appears to be a support strut of some kind.

I actually have been using this stuff for years and can vouch for its overall awesomeness. Probably some of the best $ I ever spent on computer hardware (up there with 120 eXtreme, Scythe S-Flex fans, and Shin-Etsu X23-7762).

Was wondering, what exactly does "flashed my card with the newer NVIDIA reference BIOS"? How exactly do you do this and where do you find the newest NVIDIA reference BIOS?

Also, is it possible to change the speed of your gpu fan? I mean do you need a program or does the access to the fan speed already come with the 8800gt?

Got a couple questions for you regarding physical size.... can you take 2 measurements for me?

1. How high does the heatsink sit above the card?

2. How tall is the entire assembly from the top of the PCI-e slot to the top of the heatsink?

I only ask because I'm seriously interested in getting one, but I need to know if it'll fit in my itty-bitty micro-ATX case.

Thanks!

Was wondering, what exactly does "flashed my card with the newer NVIDIA reference BIOS"? How exactly do you do this and where do you find the newest NVIDIA reference BIOS?

Also, is it possible to change the speed of your gpu fan? I mean do you need a program or does the access to the fan speed already come with the 8800gt?

I used rivatuner and instructions I found at [H]. Instead of making multiple fan speeds and creating a profile (something commonly posted here) I instead altered the low level fan settings to create a range of min speed/max speed min temp/max temp. It was quick and easy and during testing I could hear the fan dynamically increasing or reducing speed to stay ahead of changes in temperature. Temperature recording with Atitool showed the results which kept the card under 70c the whole time without needing to crank the fan up much higher than 60% or so. Much better than the default "29% until melting" setting it came with. :)

Thanks for making the community a better place with such a nice review!

Thanks for the review! I have the Gigabyte with the Zalman cooler but this one still temps me just to get a passive cooler. :)

Firstly check your board partner (the brand of your card) website to see if they've released an updated BIOS specifically for your card that addresses the cooling issues. Most of the board partners have released such a BIOS.

But if your card uses the reference 8800GT design then you can easily use a BIOS meant for a reference board design. Most notable for keeping up with the latest NVIDIA BIOS is EVGA, so I usually look for the most recent EVGA BIOS for my card.

For example, my reference design Asus EN8800GT card runs one of EVGA's 8800GT 512MB BIOSes that address the fan issue. (Although that doesn't really matter now that I have the Accelero S1 on my card anyway. :p)

Yes, you can use Rivatuner to change how the fan operates on your card. Or you can alter the BIOS on your card so that you won't need a third party utility to adjust the fan speed. See my howto thread on the subject. :)

Fantastic review! If I don't step up from my 8800GTS, I'm definitely going to slap on one of these bad boys :cool:.

Firstly check your board partner (the brand of your card) website to see if they've released an updated BIOS specifically for your card that addresses the cooling issues. Most of the board partners have released such a BIOS.

But if your card uses the reference 8800GT design then you can easily use a BIOS meant for a reference board design. Most notable for keeping up with the latest NVIDIA BIOS is EVGA, so I usually look for the most recent EVGA BIOS for my card.

For example, my reference design Asus EN8800GT card runs one of EVGA's 8800GT 512MB BIOSes that address the fan issue. (Although that doesn't really matter now that I have the Accelero S1 on my card anyway. :p)

Yes, you can use Rivatuner to change how the fan operates on your card. Or you can alter the BIOS on your card so that you won't need a third party utility to adjust the fan speed. See my howto thread on the subject. :)

OH WOW. I am very sorry Blue Falcon; you took the time to pratically address the entire problem of the 8800GT fan in a thread and a noobie like me comes along and asks how to address the same problem, I am very sorry. I did not know there were subsections in the Video Cards subsection that differentiates between nvidia and Ati which is especially foolish as there are subsections in the motherboard section that differentiates between Intel and AMD. Again, I truely apologize for such a blunder.

After reading your guide, I must say, it is extremely well done and it has helped immensely and answered my questions. Thanks again.

OH WOW. I am very sorry Blue Falcon; you took the time to pratically address the entire problem of the 8800GT fan in a thread and a noobie like me comes along and asks how to address the same problem, I am very sorry. I did not know there were subsections in the Video Cards subsection that differentiates between nvidia and Ati which is especially foolish as there are subsections in the motherboard section that differentiates between Intel and AMD. Again, I truely apologize for such a blunder.

After reading your guide, I must say, it is extremely well done and it has helped immensely and answered my questions. Thanks again.

LOL stop apologizing, hell man I don't even know where I am here half the time and I've been around (in one form or another) since 1999-ish. :)

LOL stop apologizing, hell man I don't even know where I am here half the time and I've been around (in one form or another) since 1999-ish. :)

Ahh it just feels a little... foolish and ignorant on my part to ask a question that could have easily been answered by checking the forums out more. Thanks again for posting such a great fan guide,it really has helped me, and I bet alot of others, with such high temperatures on their 8800gt.

Quick question, is there anything wrong with running fans at 100%? I mean I know its pretty loud and all and I am sure power usage would increase, but if the sound wasn't a problem, is there any other downside for running my 8800gt fan at 95%?

I just want to say: Accelero S1 rules. It's unbelievable.
I got mine today (finally) and installed it.

Temps with stock cooling were around ~55ºC idle - ~75ºC load (ambient temp ~25ºC).
Now, ~35ºC idle - ~45ºC load, same ambient temp. It's just amazing. :D

I do have a 120 mm AC fan @ 5v on it. My card is a MSI 8800GT OC.

Screw the HR-03GT, this thing rocks. Too darn much. :cool:

Also just to add- the revised fans are much better equipped with thermal pads that are not greasy at all. Much easier to stick the heatsinks without all that mess to clean up.

Got a couple questions for you regarding physical size.... can you take 2 measurements for me?

2. How tall is the entire assembly from the top of the PCI-e slot to the top of the heatsink?

I only ask because I'm seriously interested in getting one, but I need to know if it'll fit in my itty-bitty micro-ATX case.

Thanks!

1- ~30mm
2-~39mm

My turn to ask questions:

1- i have used an S1 without ram/heatsinks with dual 140mm fans from Aerocoll (man those are silent!) and Everest reports that ram temps are still 1 Celsius degreee below gpu temp, can anyone use everest and report the temp WITH heatsinks? Not that would improve mem performance well above 1000Mhz but running cooler means longer lifespam and smaller power consumption.

2- the higher core/shader clocks do NOT give me way better 3Dmark06 results (700/1700/950 ~11650 3dmarks; 721/1792/1000~11690 3dmarks) with an E4300 at 2.88Ghz; but with [email protected] i got 12091 3dmarks at 721/1792/10000;even with only 15 points more on cpu test: is this a proof of CPU capped results at 3dmark with this card? and why higher shader clocks (up to 1850) gave me LOWER 3dmarks?

As a side note i would like to warn that using an S1 passive on tropical climates is suboptimal: its summer in Brazil and my best results with zalman thermal grease are 68 Celsius degrees with a room temperature of 31 degrees, hence the dual 140mm setup. My next try is dual 120mm 110 CFM fans:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22966

Another project is a "case" for this dual fan setup that would cover the entire card and direct airflow to the back of the case improving case internal temps.

The 8800GT is a great overclocker with the stock cooler, but it is loud. The improvements with an S1 and bios voltmod are OK but hardly as great as the 1Ghz core clock that people report with voltmodded 3870s. TH question is: how will a 1Ghz 3870 perform when paired with an 8800GT at 740 core clock?

At this risk of sounding stupid:

Seems to me that someone should be buying reference boards - sans fans and cooling shrouds and aftermarketing these.

I'd probabily happily pay a premium to avoid the risk of screwing up my card attempting this myself (not that I'm not going to do it, just saying)

At this risk of sounding stupid:

Seems to me that someone should be buying reference boards - sans fans and cooling shrouds and aftermarketing these.

I'd probabily happily pay a premium to avoid the risk of screwing up my card attempting this myself (not that I'm not going to do it, just saying)

It would be nice if manufacturers offered the S1 as a stock option, but I don't know of any that do at the moment. Galaxy offers a card with an aftermarket cooler as the stock cooler, though.

1- ~30mm
2-~39mm

Can you reverify for me, please? If the hs sits 30mm above the top of the card, and the total height is 39mm, that means the card itself is only 9mm (0.35 inches) above the PCI-e slot.

based on the plane of the VGA PCB: 39mm from the BCP until the end of the cooler(thickness):
V
G-39mm----S1
A-----------------

and at the top end of the VGA PCB the S1 is 30mm taller:

-------------------S1 30mm taller

---------------top pcb border
VGA
_________pcislot

If the VGA fits in lenght then no problem : the S1 is shorter than most mid-end VGAs(1950pro,8800GT,3850), but the case MUST have 30mm between the S1 and the side panel and 39mm between the PCI-e slot and the bottom of the case. Even smaller cases with 340x140x340mm can receive an S1+8800GT

Back