Review: Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 on 8800GT (dialup beware!)

based on the plane of the VGA PCB: 39mm from the BCP until the end of the cooler(thickness):
V
G-39mm----S1
A-----------------

and at the top end of the VGA PCB the S1 is 30mm taller:

-------------------S1 30mm taller

---------------top pcb border
VGA
_________pcislot

If the VGA fits in lenght then no problem : the S1 is shorter than most mid-end VGAs(1950pro,8800GT,3850), but the case MUST have 30mm between the S1 and the side panel and 39mm between the PCI-e slot and the bottom of the case. Even smaller cases with 340x140x340mm can receive an S1+8800GT

Excellent, thanks for clarifying. Appreciate the help! :cool:

Does anyone know if the fan header is a standard 4-pin PWM plug?

Can clearly see it in this pic, but figured I would ask to be sure.

Does anyone know if the fan header is a standard 4-pin PWM plug?

Can clearly see it in this pic, but figured I would ask to be sure.

Yup, and actually judging from the BIOS the fan controller on the 8800GT can actually be programmed to operate in PWM mode or purely voltage based mode.

Why'd you want to know about the fan header? Got some nifty idea brewing? Care to share? :)

Yup, and actually judging from the BIOS the fan controller on the 8800GT can actually be programmed to operate in PWM mode or purely voltage based mode.

Why'd you want to know about the fan header? Got some nifty idea brewing? Care to share? :)

Awesome, thanks for the info.

As for my idea, I'm thinking of using the S1 with a Scythe 120mm PWM fan for cooling. Should make for a nice silent active cooling solution. :D :cool:

I installed my accelero today, dropped my stock temps from 70 to 46 without load. This is nowhere near the temps you guys are getting but I guess it is because i live in the caribbean (Puerto Rico) hotter temps here...

I added a 120mm fan to the accelero but I dont think that is doing its job properly do to it being so close to the metal chassis of the case, this case i have right now is very little :(

ohh wells at least there is a good temp drop !

I just installed a S1 on a 8800GT last night on my buddys comp. temps went from 55C idle and 80C load with fan at 60%, to 39C idle and 54C Load with no fan at all.

Looking forward to getting this cooler, so far I'm at idle at 56C and 71C load with custom fan profiles in Rivatuner.

Hopefully I won't even break 60C load with this cooler. A great improvement. :D

Installed mine last night. RAM sinks are sticking perfectly.

I pitched in for the "turbo module." (Stupid name, but at least it's not something like "eXtreeeme X-22X snowboarders and skaters edition!!!")

It is quiet. I can't think of how else to describe it. My 500gb Western Digital makes more noise when it's seeking... and that thing is silent.

When I turned my machine on, I thought I had made a mistake. I heard... nothing. It was only when I saw my BIOS screen that I realized everything was up and running.

The temp drop was nothing less than spectacular. 40-45 degrees C at full load overclocked to 700/1000.

At idle, 30. Thanks for the recommendation. I couldn't be happier.

Installed mine last night. RAM sinks are sticking perfectly.

I pitched in for the "turbo module." (Stupid name, but at least it's not something like "eXtreeeme X-22X snowboarders and skaters edition!!!")

It is quiet. I can't think of how else to describe it. My 500gb Western Digital makes more noise when it's seeking... and that thing is silent.

When I turned my machine on, I thought I had made a mistake. I heard... nothing. It was only when I saw my BIOS screen that I realized everything was up and running.

The temp drop was nothing less than spectacular. 40-45 degrees C at full load overclocked to 700/1000.

At idle, 30. Thanks for the recommendation. I couldn't be happier.

Another convert :)

Is the Accelero S1 dead? I've been looking at different sites for a second one to setup SLI and they all say it's discontinued.

Is the Accelero S1 dead? I've been looking at different sites for a second one to setup SLI and they all say it's discontinued.

Nope. There's a Revision 2 on the way hopefully available by the end of this month. :cool:

[edit]
Placed my order for the S1 rev2 and an Arctic 120mm pwm fan.

Is it ok to use sleeve baring 120mm attached to it? I've always thought that SL fans are best for vertical positioning use. I wonder if I should install my Yate Loon D12SL from the side rather than installing it to the heatsink itself.

Blue Falcon I believe you are using the same fan running @ 5V, how is it working for you?

Is it ok to use sleeve baring 120mm attached to it? I've always thought that SL fans are best for vertical positioning use. I wonder if I should install my Yate Loon D12SL from the side rather than installing it to the heatsink itself.

Blue Falcon I believe you are using the same fan running @ 5V, how is it working for you?

I'm using the same fan running at 12v, hell it's made to be silent and I sure can't hear it over the Antec Tricool I have running as my main exhaust fan anyway. :)

I'm actually about to power my machine down to do another fan mod for the Accelero S1 as I type this.... camera batteries are all charged and ready! :D

I have question and this might sound stupid but is a fan really necessary??

No, not at all so long as you have a good case exhaust fan. To use the Accelero S1 fanless you need only create a negative pressure area inside your case, and you do this by having more exhaust 'power' than intake power, this way cool air will be sucked in through the vented slotcover (comes with the Accelero) and it will pass through the fins of the heatsink and keep it cool.

You can easily run the Accelero passively, even on a highly overclocked card. See the first post in this thread for results running passively. :)

got mine installed....finally lol

I used the thermalright 8800gt sinks and the cheapo s1 fan kit.
33C and 38C idle

38C and 48C on a bfg running 650/900 no errors on this scan after 10 minutes and this was max temp I could get with it.
I am very confused right now.
I told it to find max core and mem. I cancelled and it said 781 1101
and its running at that....IS THIS CORRECT ???
it says core 781 and memory 1101 after I cancel ati tool and restart it.
I don't believe this card can do that.

got mine installed....finally lol

I used the thermalright 8800gt sinks and the cheapo s1 fan kit.
33C and 38C idle

38C and 48C on a bfg running 650/900 no errors on this scan after 10 minutes and this was max temp I could get with it.
I am very confused right now.
I told it to find max core and mem. I cancelled and it said 781 1101
and its running at that....IS THIS CORRECT ???
it says core 781 and memory 1101 after I cancel ati tool and restart it.
I don't believe this card can do that.

ATITool currently doesn't work with NVIDIA cards except for testing for artifacts, it used to but NVIDIA broke it in the 169.xx drivers and Wizzard (the ATITool programmer) hasn't managed to fix it yet.

thanks blue I was sure that the card could in no way run at those speeds.
I know they said they were making a new tool and hope they can get it all working.

It was weird when it reported those clocks. I had it running error detection and it was showing little yellow flashes on the fuzz but reporting no errors and temps showed 54C up from 48C the max I was seeing at 650.
That is when I got to wondering what in the hell was going on.

I'm using the same fan running at 12v, hell it's made to be silent and I sure can't hear it over the Antec Tricool I have running as my main exhaust fan anyway. :)

I'm actually about to power my machine down to do another fan mod for the Accelero S1 as I type this.... camera batteries are all charged and ready! :D

Thanks, I'm might go passive with Yate blowing from the side. I'll try to post some pix and test results once I get this working. Also I'm trying to get some sinks for mosfets. The only problem that I see with going passive (I could be wrong) is cooling memory if I tend to oc it. Howver since the memory on 8800GT is not that oc friendly, I might just leave it as it is.

BTW..... GREAT REVIEW Blue Falcon...Thank you !!!:D

ATITool currently doesn't work with NVIDIA cards except for testing for artifacts, it used to but NVIDIA broke it in the 169.xx drivers and Wizzard (the ATITool programmer) hasn't managed to fix it yet.

Really?

What was your reasoning behind that? Now the fan will have less static pressure, right?

Maybe the fan will have a wider dispersal field of air, thus pushing air to more of the fins.

{edit}

I bet there would be very little loss in cooling performance if you cut away a hole in a few fins to fit an SLI bridge through...though from pictures 149 and 157 I cant get a clear view if the bridge would be blocked by one of the heat pipes.

Really. ATITool will show clock speeds of 0 for both the core and memory, and if you try to actually adjust those clocks with ATITool you will get unpredictable results.

I think thats with older cards. My 7900GS works fine with ATI-Tool

What was your reasoning behind that? Now the fan will have less static pressure, right?

I haven't a clue. I did it because:

A. The 'Turbo Module' that Arctic Cooling uses consists of 2 80mm fans without casings of any sort - they are just free floating fans. I wanted to see if there was some sort of benefit to running the fan that way.

B. I had the spare Yate Loon sitting around, and it was cheaper than a $2 whore having a half off sale.

C. It was fun and goofy, and gave me another chance to take pictures. :D

On a serious note it didn't seem to change the GPU temps at all, but it definitely seems to help keep the card cooler in general. The second sensor (what I refer to as 'Card temperature' in my review) reads on average 2 - 3 degrees lower than it did with the fan in it's previous non molested state. :D

Maybe the fan will have a wider dispersal field of air, thus pushing air to more of the fins.

{edit}

I bet there would be very little loss in cooling performance if you cut away a hole in a few fins to fit an SLI bridge through...though from pictures 149 and 157 I cant get a clear view if the bridge would be blocked by one of the heat pipes.

Some people have done that, but it's cheaper just to get a flexible SLI bridge. Arctic cooling sells one on their site (although you can get them cheaper elsewhere too).

Very. Very. VERY nice job on the review! You'd think New Egg is payin you to make such a good review cuz that review alone made me wanna go out and order one. I love you. Very professional in your images and instructions.

BOYOYOYONIINNKKGGGGGG

I haven't a clue. I did it because:

A. The 'Turbo Module' that Arctic Cooling uses consists of 2 80mm fans without casings of any sort - they are just free floating fans. I wanted to see if there was some sort of benefit to running the fan that way.

B. I had the spare Yate Loon sitting around, and it was cheaper than a $2 whore having a half off sale.

C. It was fun and goofy, and gave me another chance to take pictures. :D

On a serious note it didn't seem to change the GPU temps at all, but it definitely seems to help keep the card cooler in general. The second sensor (what I refer to as 'Card temperature' in my review) reads on average 2 - 3 degrees lower than it did with the fan in it's previous non molested state. :D

Good Job ;-)...and very nice clear pictures :)

I just installed my accelero S1 with the turbo module on my 8800GT. my idle temps dropped from 65c to 32c!!!!. temperatures cut in HALF!!! insane.

i also moved my computer from the top of my desk to the floor under my desk. im on bottom floor of my house so the heatducts are on the ceiling. and there is about a 10F difference from the top of my desk from the floor of the room, not to mention my case was right next to my FW900 CRT that puts out huge amounts of heat.

im so HAPPY! :D here is a pic of my case, i took off the plastic pieces hehe. matches my TR 120E abit.

23syzp5.jpg

After clearing up and modifying the airflow to my case i can get with my graphics card at 770/1905/1000 with temps of 32idle and 40load

Using the stock hsf was loading at over 90c. big difference i'll say.

DSCN0109.jpg

Back