Reports of 2080gtx ti cards are dying en masse

In my small sample size, I bought 2 2080 Tis and one of them needed to be replaced. 50% failure rate, lol.

To be serious, though, I have seen a lot of posts on the Nvidia forum of blue screens and other crashes on these cards.

But Nvidia is really good about taking care of people, they are even doing advanced replacement, so it's not the end of the world.

In my small sample size, I bought 2 2080 Tis and one of them needed to be replaced. 50% failure rate, lol.

To be serious, though, I have seen a lot of posts on the Nvidia forum of blue screens and other crashes on these cards.

But Nvidia is really good about taking care of people, they are even doing advanced replacement, so it's not the end of the world.

Yea, as long they are taking care of their customer well, this will most likely gonna blowover. Also, Op, so 40% increase for most games [H] at 1440p and 4K from 1080Ti is not significant performance increase for you?

Ah, totally missed that "no significant performance increases" comment. I upgraded from GTX 1080s, I'm getting probably around 50% better performance.

Yeah I've seen a lot of threads on reddit about card failures. Reminds me of 1080 launch with dying aftermarket cards which was a result of thermal pads not physically touching the heatsink.

Yeah I've seen a lot of threads on reddit about card failures. Reminds me of 1080 launch with dying aftermarket cards which was a result of thermal pads not physically touching the heatsink.

Still running my EVGA 1080 FTW that had this problem. I flashed the bios update that just used a higher fan speed, and the thing has had zero issues. I received the free VRM thermal pad kit, but never bothered as it wasn't required. The card runs fine.

As for the 2080ti issue - I think folks are just more vocal about it because of the price. Additionally, I think lots of supposed issues are due to people running PSU's that they thought were good enough but aren't. If you crank the 2080ti FE TDP slider all the way right to 124% I see spikes just over that which means 300+ watts. and a lot of heat.

Sounds like Nvidia may have either a quality control/testing issue letting bad cards slip through or a possible manufacturing or design defect that is surfacing after the card has seen a bit of use... possibly both. The fact that the 2080Ti is so power hungry probably also doesn't help and I wouldn't be surprised if lots of folks are encountering failures with power supplies that can't feed the card properly under heavy load... Still, I'd be pissed as well if a new $1200+ purchase was blue screening/artifacting on me after a few days @ stock clocks. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon.

On the bright side, there may be a growing pool of returned/refurbished 2080Ti's that become available for purchase soon at a cut rate price.

Last edited:
Got a Corsair AX1600i i'll be using for my new build so i HOPE i'll be okay with the card.... :coffee:

Got a Corsair AX1600i i'll be using for my new build so i HOPE i'll be okay with the card.... :coffee:

I think you've got the power delivery situation accounted for... :D Just pray you don't get one of those bum 2080Ti's that decides that it wants to fall over after a couple days of use.

While I was slightly enticed by the 2080Ti, I'm glad I didn't jump on the bandwagon. With all the recent reported failures/issues folks seem to be having, there may be something that Nvidia didn't design/engineer quite as solidly this time around. My Titan X Pascal has been rock solid for 2+ years, and that's since day one with a nice heavy OC on water... should easily hold me till whatever arrives after the 2080Ti... or the next Titan release.

To be fair, my Titan X Pascal from Nvidia came with artifacts, and I had to RMA. The replacement worked flawlessly. This is not the first launch with hiccups.

Ah, totally missed that "no significant performance increases" comment. I upgraded from GTX 1080s, I'm getting probably around 50% better performance.
Well you upgraded from a lower tier card, so that should be expected.

It seems this story is picking up traction and it is not just a few reddit users. Hardware Unboxed has alot more info on it. It may be a gddr6 issue.

I guess Nvidia wanted the 2080ti to be the fastest AND slowest cars in the world.

UFDtech is reporting that their 2080 Ti automatically bluescreens on a certain system config.

Looks like it's extremely unreliable out the gate. But maybe it will be fixed over time?

Is nVidia is paying return shipping for RMA service? ZOTAC just sent me an email confirming RMA, but did not offer shipping label. I emailed them back requesting one.

This should be fun.

Silly early adopters. :)

Seems weird they would rush since there is nobody competing against them. I am waiting for next gen since coming from a 1080ti hybrid would not be a big enough increase.
Not to mention not much RTX and if it was here it would be slow.

Well you upgraded from a lower tier card, so that should be expected.
Right, but that is normal. According to Steam, less than 2% of gamers are on the 1080 Ti. So for the vast majority of people, it will be a huge upgrade if they can afford it.

It's strange that everyone here just assumes everyone else is running a 1080 Ti. If you haven't upgraded in a generation or two, the 20-series offers huge performance gain.

Right, but that is normal. According to Steam, less than 2% of gamers are on the 1080 Ti. So for the vast majority of people, it will be a huge upgrade if they can afford it.

It's strange that everyone here just assumes everyone else is running a 1080 Ti. If you haven't upgraded in a generation or two, the 20-series offers huge performance gain.
Okay, but as you stated, "less than 2% of gamers are on the 1080 Ti", which was a card that costs half of what the current RTX 2080 Ti is going for. You upgraded from a tier below that, going from a $500-ish card to a $1200ish card.

I guess I just don't understand the point you are trying to make. If you upgrade to a card that costs $700 more then yes, you SHOULD see performance increases. The reason 1080 Ti owners are unimpressed is because the RTX series costs more yet offers comparatively weaker gains than previous generational upgrades.

Last edited:
eXMHTSN.jpg

If they were so good about taking care of people this wouldn’t be happening in the first place.

Reminds me of the 7900 launch with bad VRAM. I ended up RMA'ing my 7900GT 5 times. Shit got so bad Nvidia released the 7950 series to make amends. I got a 7950GT back from RMA land which still works till this day.

For what it's worth, I asked Corsair about using 1 cable vs. 2 on my HX1000 and was told that 1 cable (with 2 connectors, obviously) is more than enough for the 2080Ti.
I haven't had any issues, but I figured I'd ask based upon some other people's comments.

For what it's worth, I asked Corsair about using 1 cable vs. 2 on my HX1000 and was told that 1 cable (with 2 connectors, obviously) is more than enough for the 2080Ti.
I haven't had any issues, but I figured I'd ask based upon some other people's comments.

Per spec the 8 pin is only good for 150w and the interface is good for 75w.

This thing uses 300w+ easy even with a stock bios.

I'd say corsair has no idea what they are talking about. Yes, technically a single cable split to two could do 300w - But this isn't within spec, and every piece of documentation out there says to use two separate cables.

Per spec the 8 pin is only good for 150w and the interface is good for 75w.

This thing uses 300w+ easy even with a stock bios.

I'd say corsair has no idea what they are talking about.

he means the single cable from the PSU that splits into dual 8 pin cables @ the gpu end.

Now we really know the true meaning behind "Buy more, save more."

...because one card will always be in RMA status.

Back