Red Dead Redemption 2

This game is a bit odd. How do you find your horse? I can't tell which is mine except for its weapons on the side. Problem is it takes forever to run up to each horse and if you don't find the right one you don't get your weapons. There is an auto run feature during the long rides but it constantly runs into other people against your will, and the game assumes you wanted to murder them. Got me killed twice plus bounties placed on me because the game decides to run straight into an NPC. Now I lost my horse and weapons. I see it on the map nearby, but don't physically see it. Spent 15 minutes running up to every horse with the horribly laggy animations but still can't see it. Lame.

Why can't the call button actually call the horse to you? It seems to call every horse, so now I have 10 horses following me around and blocking my character movements.

This game is a bit odd. How do you find your horse? I can't tell which is mine except for its weapons on the side. Problem is it takes forever to run up to each horse and if you don't find the right one you don't get your weapons. There is an auto run feature during the long rides but it constantly runs into other people against your will, and the game assumes you wanted to murder them. Got me killed twice plus bounties placed on me because the game decides to run straight into an NPC. Now I lost my horse and weapons. I see it on the map nearby, but don't physically see it. Spent 15 minutes running up to every horse with the horribly laggy animations but still can't see it. Lame.

Why can't the call button actually call the horse to you? It seems to call every horse, so now I have 10 horses following me around and blocking my character movements.

It does call your horse unless it's like a literal mile away. Though you might need to ride with it for a little bit to get the first trust level or something, can't remember. It's pretty hard to lose, it'll even follow you if you climb on top of a train or something and run after you.

Also just hoof it if you accidentally do something bad. Unless you turn it into an utter catastrophe and get a huge bounty, they generally won't give enough a shit when you come back a little later.

I paid down like 1 bounty through the entire game.

It does call your horse unless it's like a literal mile away. Though you might need to ride with it for a little bit to get the first trust level or something, can't remember. It's pretty hard to lose, it'll even follow you if you climb on top of a train or something and run after you.

Also just hoof it if you accidentally do something bad. Unless you turn it into an utter catastrophe and get a huge bounty, they generally won't give enough a shit when you come back a little later.

I paid down like 1 bounty through the entire game.

Sounds like I need an upgrade to get it to reliably get called back.

How do you check which mission you currently have selected on keyboard? I'm at a stable and the mission has a yellow horse show on the map but the only options the game seems to give is to kill the guy inside but that results in a failure.

Edit: Game does get better thankfully as you get into it. Seem to get some trigger bugs like above, a restart works most of the time.

Last edited:
You're encountering some of the main issues I had with the game. They gloss over major game mechanics or like introduce 15 of them in the middle of a mission, only to never mention them again. No clue about using KB/M, but with a pad, loads of functions are piled on 1-2 buttons while others are barely used at all. It's really easy to do the wrong thing and cause all sorts of chaos as a result.

As far as aiming goes, manual pad aiming is virtually impossible. Thing is, you never actually need to do it. Just press the left trigger once and it'll lock on to whatever enemy is closest to you. It usually locks on to the upper chest, so you can just move it up slightly to headshot just about anything. You don't really have to, though. 2 auto-aim shots kills just about anything unless you're miles away. You even need to use dead eye if you don't want - the auto aim is just as good most of the time.

As much as I like the world and characters of RDR2, it's a clumsy ass game. The wrong things are too easy and the things that should be easy or automatic are often a pain.

Some parts are definitely clumsy. Worst thing is multiple things being mapped to one button.

Pulled a gun on someone or uppercut a horse in the scrote too many times.

Mechanically, this game is really bad.

It is. Very clunky. Thankfully it gets much better the further in you get. I wouldn't consider it great, but its fun enough for what it is. Can't be bothered to do any hunting but so far, not really needed. Once you get the first few basic things the game gets smoother.

I think the big problem is the first 7 or so hours are a glorified tutorial. Once you get over that, the game is less of a pain.

I eventually got used to the quirkyness near the end of my first playthrough. I honestly had a blast when I replayed it last month. When you know what you can and can't ignore, you're less focused on the pointless stuff. I'm honestly convinced they should have just killed off 2/3 of the random meters and behind-the-scenes rating scores in the game. Ditto with the ridiculous inventory of items that all do the same things. It's easy to get lost in the minutia of the game and just want to throw up your hands and quit.

I think my biggest complaint was holy fucking shit I swear you had to take your weapons off your God damn horse constantly because they somehow left your inventory for the 90th time.

I think my biggest complaint was holy fucking shit I swear you had to take your weapons off your God damn horse constantly because they somehow left your inventory for the 90th time.

There are definitely some missions where the game screws you out of your weapons no matter what, too. You'll grab a variety of weapons you want from your horse and when the mission begins you only have your pistol(s). It doesn't much matter with the auto-aim and dead eye, but life is still way easier with your repeater.

There are definitely some missions where the game screws you out of your weapons no matter what, too. You'll grab a variety of weapons you want from your horse and when the mission begins you only have your pistol(s). It doesn't much matter with the auto-aim and dead eye, but life is still way easier with your repeater.

On that note, is there anyway to not have one available on the horse? Once you get a better lever action rifle there is no reason to use the other two I have. Same for the shotgun. I have a pump action, don't need the double barrelled. Just makes grabbing them take longer.

Maybe it's because of my huge amount of hours in GTAV but I didn't find the controls all that clunky, it shares so much DNA with all the Rockstar games that I suppose I'm just used to how it handles. Your character has some weight and inertia to their movements, and there are a bunch of contextual actions where buttons do different things so that definitely takes a bit to get down. The biggest challenge for me is just rebinding everything since I don't use WASD. Certain games make me rethink my stubbornness in not using WASD and RDR2 is one of the worst with that massive key binding menu.

On that note, is there anyway to not have one available on the horse? Once you get a better lever action rifle there is no reason to use the other two I have. Same for the shotgun. I have a pump action, don't need the double barrelled. Just makes grabbing them take longer.

Unfortunately not in singleplayer as far as I know, but in multiplayer they added a weapon locker at your camp where you can store guns you don't want cluttering the inventory. It really would be a great benefit to single player, seems like it would be simple to add but I doubt they ever will.

Your whole arsenal is on that horse whether you like it or not. I don't think there's any way to get rid of weapons for good. Luckily it doesn't usually swap them unless you tell it to.
Funny enough, it's worth messing around with the "lesser" weapons. Most have random upsides that make them better than later guns. At least in certain ways. The Schofield revolver and Volcanic pistol are better than any of the later guns and you get those almost immediately. With the shotguns, I didn't notice much difference, although the double-barrels do hit like a truck since they have limited ammo.

The game does really pick up towards the end. And most of the missions are story based, and even most of the side quests are decent enough and not too long. I think it lagged a bit in chapter 2 but does start progressing after that. And thankfully it never really requires you to do much stuff like hunting or supply gathering. Plenty of money to get everything you need. Really saved the game for me. Actually ends up being enjoyable. Game is still super clunky though. Won't say its a perfect game by any stretch, but worth a play. Glad I decided to keep playing it through.

Not really sure how I liked the end story regarding Dutch. His actions seemed a bit awkward. Game doesn't do a good job of explaining his reasoning for his actions. He seems to be okay with allowing the gang to split and seems to only care about his self towards the end of the game. Which is understandable, I get the impression the point is he was a con man the entire time using other's labor to satisfy a personal power lust and potentially enrich himself. But the actions right at the end don't seem to add up. Depending on the option you choose, he seems to be okay with Arthur being stabbed in the back literally. He also doesn't join Micah regardless of the ending. He has money from the train robbery, although left the rest in the cave. But that money should've been enough for him to move himself west or Australia. Yet in the Epilogue, he hasn't for some reason?

He also seems to be okay teaming up with Micah again despite knowing he turned on himself before and then suddenly decides to kill Micah on the spot, leaving behind all the loot and money? Did I miss something? Just seems like his actions are contradictory and inconsistent every angle you look at things.

Aside from that found the ending to be nice.

I'd like to see them remake the first game on PC, if they can make it less clunky.

I always found the money situation in RDR2 to be very odd. You have little to no money at the start of chapter 2, but you become rich as hell rather quickly. Your whole camp is risking their lives for $10 while Arthur is packing a dozen gold plated guns and carrying $2500 in his pocket. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense and most of that money comes from missions you have to do.
In the Epilogue you seem to get everything but Arthur's giant pile of money, which is also odd.

I always found the money situation in RDR2 to be very odd. You have little to no money at the start of chapter 2, but you become rich as hell rather quickly. Your whole camp is risking their lives for $10 while Arthur is packing a dozen gold plated guns and carrying $2500 in his pocket. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense and most of that money comes from missions you have to do.
In the Epilogue you seem to get everything but Arthur's giant pile of money, which is also odd.

Hard to work when you got Lumbago...

Last edited:
Yeah I was fucking loaded for the majority of the game, and some robberies give you a ton of cash on top.

It was a bit strange when I'm putting in 100x what others are at the camp and some motherfucker dares to give me shit about not putting in my share.

Like I just put in $100 worth of shit spanning 2 full pages and you put in a 5 cent bat testicle and ride my ass about being a cheapo.

Yeah I was fucking loaded for the majority of the game, and some robberies give you a ton of cash on top.

It was a bit strange when I'm putting in 100x what others are at the camp and some motherfucker dares to give me shit about not putting in my share.

Like I just put in $100 worth of shit spanning 2 full pages and you put in a 5 cent bat testicle and ride my ass about being a cheapo.

Yeah that is a bit odd but at the same time, most loot based games give you nothing and every robbery feels worthless. Or by the time you get anything good, the game is over. So I see why they did it this way. Robbing a train felt like an accomplishment in terms of reward usually.

Another playthrough. What a game, what a game.

Still hoping they'll add a Hardcore mode at some point since you are invincible godmode by default. I've looked at the homebrew mods for artificial difficulty, and meh.

Still hoping they'll add a Hardcore mode at some point since you are invincible godmode by default. I've looked at the homebrew mods for artificial difficulty, and meh.
Just finished the 2nd playthrough myself, and was sad it was nearing an end.....again. I've said it before, best overall game...ever. Yup.

I wish they'd concentrate on SP and give the MP a rest. alas, never happen.

Just finished the 2nd playthrough myself, and was sad it was nearing an end.....again. I've said it before, best overall game...ever. Yup.

I wish they'd concentrate on SP and give the MP a rest. alas, never happen.
Agreed, I'd also settle for Undead Nightmare 2 this halloween, since the first installment was excellent after RDR. The developers have vaguely left the door open for the possibility when asked last year "we're not focused on it, but never say never".

Yeah you're insanely tanky. I swear they could triple the damage you take and the game would still be easy.

Besides being tanky as shit you basically need to die like 6 times over since you can just chug 90 potions on the run.

To make the game truly challenging they'd have to remove the lock-on functionality and make normal aiming work better. On a pad that would make the game go from easy to really, really tough in a heartbeat. I remember trying to play like that before I discovered lock-on was a thing. It's basically impossible as-is. I've never tried aiming with a mouse, but with so few complaints I'm assuming it already works okay.

Overall the game is okay, but here is another example of how it is subpar. There is a side quest that I am trying to finish. You have to track down these gunslingers after talking to a man in a bar, and you need to view some photos of them before they spawn (game didn't tell you this). So after spending 20-25 minutes fast traveling to places and wondering why they weren't spawning, I only then learned you have to view photographs of them first. Okay, sounds simple enough right? 20-25 minutes later, I still cannot figure out how to do this. To make problems worse not a single game guide or video tutorial shows how this is done. Only one video on youtube did, but it didn't mention what key to press, the player just does it.

Jump through 5-8 different menus to find key binds, nothing related to photos or documents. Apparently you need to find it in a "satchel". Okay, so how do we open the satchel? Nothing in the key bindings menu related to this. Off to Google yet again. Well, I haven't found a single tutorial website (they're just as bad as game developers) that explains how to do this on PC. I see "D pad" which isn't even fully helpful on a console.

So after 50 minutes I still have no idea how to even get the quest going. Normally to open an inventory you hit a key like I or something. Even if I were to find it, it would take another 15-20 minutes to get there because the developers haven't figured out proper fast travel mechanics yet.

And this is the problem with "open world" games. It takes too long to do anything useful, and all that stuff they put in the game will never be found anyways even if you spend almost an hour researching a single quest.

Thankfully you can mostly skip side quests, but post game and side quests are practically worthless. Maybe 5 minutes of game time, 30-60 minutes of "research" time. Games should be designed to be played, not have a tab open reading a tutorial which spoils everything for you anyways. If you can't figure out how to make a quest objective display somewhere, a quest log, basic controls, you fucking suck at video game design.

Edit: Figured out my issue. Seems like minimizing the game prevented me from opening the satchel, think the button was B. Have to restart to fix it. Doesn't happen all the time but minimizing games often brings up various odd issues so this game isn't a huge outlier there. So if you minimize a lot, be prepared for some weird issues unless you restart. Could be my specific hardware/software setup.

Last edited:
Yup, i missed this whole side mission my 1st play through. Figured out pretty much from your description above, and loved the side missions. Mr Granger, he is awesome. While I agree with you that some of these side missions were obviously a challenge, I'll still call this the best SP game to date. I just love it even with all it's flaws. I need RDR3 !!!!!

Yup, i missed this whole side mission my 1st play through. Figured out pretty much from your description above, and loved the side missions. Mr Granger, he is awesome. While I agree with you that some of these side missions were obviously a challenge, I'll still call this the best SP game to date. I just love it even with all it's flaws. I need RDR3 !!!!!

I'd like them to remake RDR1. I'd think with all the money they can give it to a side studio. Just make the gameplay a bit better than RDR2. Especially for PC gamers who didn't own last gen consoles. RDR1 is pretty much a sequel to 2.

Someone else said it above but RDR2 as a game, mechanically, is pretty bad. It is still fun enough to be enjoyable though. But would like to play a western. Perfectly fine with the setting of RDR2, but a western like RDR1 would be fun.

I am having random crashes after the two latest updates. I thought I had found a fix by switching to the Nvidia 451 Creator Version of the drivers, but then had a couple of drop to desktops today while playing the game. Before the crashes, a 4624 and 4672 event are shown in event viewer for a system generated "logon" and "special logon" event. Anyways, today I found out how to trigger the crash at any time. For me, all I have to do is add or remove a network device like turn off my TV connected to my home network, or remove a USB peripheral connected to my machine. I have found that devices going to sleep also cause the program to crash to desktop. I played the game crash free up until the last two updates, so this is either a new Windows update or something to do with the latest game patch. Has anyone else experiences these drops to desktop when running this game? Out of the many games and applications I have on my system, this is the only one that is causing me grief. System specs are 3950X with 64GB ram, RTX 2070 Super video card, and Win 10 v 1909 with the latest updates. I have tried both the Creator and Gaming version of the Nvidia drivers.

Yeah I had close to $11,000 by end of Chapter 6. Would've been close to $20,000 if I'd spent more time on treasure maps and looking for gold bars. Arthur's money can be "inherited" by John via Aberdeen Pig Farm - you get mugged by that couple as Arthur, then go back to their house later during the Epilogue as John.

Since my first playthrough was blind - I ignored how-to's and reviews - I wasted way too much time looting bodies, buying guns, busting ass to get the Legend of the East satchel which lets you hold quantity 99 of everything. I enjoyed the story, but believed I needed to be grinding for cash the whole way because the game would eventually give me some grand reward to spend it all on eventually. But that never came. Having too much of everything - tonics, food, ammo, etc also made everything too easy. When Arthur soft-reboots on Guarma and has nothing, it highlights how less-is-more is more fun to me.

Subsequent playthroughs will be minimalist: No looting, no grinding for cash, no buying guns or modifying existing ones (the differences between guns are so minor). It's more fun to edge the line of running out of things and needing to scrounge just enough to stay alive through the next battle. It also saves a ton of time.

Last edited:
Under normal circumstances, no.

When you're running from the crocodile king in a twisted hellscape of giant children and zombies before escaping in a rocket powered hot air balloon and breaching the clouds like that scene from the third matrix movie, yes.

Anyone had issues with the latest patch randomly crashing the game on amd cards? Latest patch wanted newer 2020 drivers and now my game rando crashes every 15-45mins.

on the new 20.8.1 drivers?

Yes and the previous, 20.7.2. I was thinking it was the 1604 error at the end of install process that I keep getting when installing the drivers, the May WHQL ones, 20.7.2 and 20.8.1. Yet, the drivers seem to install okay and after reboot the software shows up in sys tray and all games seem to run fine besides RDR2.

Given all the issues Rockstar is having with the new patch, I'm thinking it is RDR2 Online that is freezing the game for me randomly. At least I can end task the game and restart it quick enough.

Yes and the previous, 20.7.2. I was thinking it was the 1604 error at the end of install process that I keep getting when installing the drivers, the May WHQL ones, 20.7.2 and 20.8.1. Yet, the drivers seem to install okay and after reboot the software shows up in sys tray and all games seem to run fine besides RDR2.

Given all the issues Rockstar is having with the new patch, I'm thinking it is RDR2 Online that is freezing the game for me randomly. At least I can end task the game and restart it quick enough.

Well, running DDU and not the AMD driver cleaner got rid of the 1604 errors. RDR2 online still randomly crashes its just more stable though. 15minutes on a fresh load then it ran 90mins just fine. Switched to the May drivers 20.4.2 and it seems more stable but not much as I still have freezes randomly.

Anyone had issues with the latest patch randomly crashing the game on amd cards? Latest patch wanted newer 2020 drivers and now my game rando crashes every 15-45mins.
I can't even get past the main menu ever since the update was released two weeks ago, and Rockstar Support has been completely useless in doing anything to fix the problem.

Back