Red Dead Redemption 2

All movement in this game has more weight to it, your character actually has to move
New launcher update for crashes. Some posts on Reddit say it does nothing.

It likely fixed the AMD microcode related crash, but most AMD users have updated BIOS available anyways now.

CPU usage alone doesn't tell you if your CPU is a bottleneck or not.

I agree, there are probably all kinds of things that a newer proc would afford me, my guess the biggest of which would be ascending to the level of 1440p 60fps gaming.

But for the last decade I was gaming on either at 1600x900 on a standard LCD monitor (gross) or at 1680x1050 on a 32" 720p LCD tv screen (boujie).

Now that I've FINALLY joined the world of 1080p 60fps (mostly), I intend to at least savor it for a while before jumping to to the next level.

If this wasn't my only rig I would be tempted to throw my now obsolete 1090T back in there to see how that responds... although my guess is the game wouldn't load since that is below minimum spec.

For those curious I was also toying with the GTA V benchmark tool.... it never used to be this way but now it forces you to restart the game after running the benchmark, which is time consuming to say the least. To me that sort of proves that when benchmarking you will get the best results by restarting after changing settings. Interestingly my vram reports as 4000mb in GTA V, and only like 2880mb in RDR2.... ??

I agree, there are probably all kinds of things that a newer proc would afford me, my guess the biggest of which would be ascending to the level of 1440p 60fps gaming.

But for the last decade I was gaming on either at 1600x900 on a standard LCD monitor (gross) or at 1680x1050 on a 32" 720p LCD tv screen (boujie).

Now that I've FINALLY joined the world of 1080p 60fps (mostly), I intend to at least savor it for a while before jumping to to the next level.

If this wasn't my only rig I would be tempted to throw my now obsolete 1090T back in there to see how that responds... although my guess is the game wouldn't load since that is below minimum spec.

For those curious I was also toying with the GTA V benchmark tool.... it never used to be this way but now it forces you to restart the game after running the benchmark, which is time consuming to say the least. To me that sort of proves that when benchmarking you will get the best results by restarting after changing settings. Interestingly my vram reports as 4000mb in GTA V, and only like 2880mb in RDR2.... ??
I have 11 GB of vram but what's reported in some games such as Gears 5 and RDR 2 is sometimes just 9.5 or so.

Just a reminder if you login to your rockstar account and go to this webpage you get tons of stats:

https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/rdr2/overview

For those who played GTA 5, it will look familiar. Last I checked it wasn't actually listed on Rockstar's website, I had to manually edit "RDR2" into the URL to find it!

It looks like you can also buy stuff from the catalogs (SP and MP) and they get mailed to you. Neat.

I will post videos later but I have some interesting observations to report...

This is of course specific to my setup, but I noted something interesting that I haven't seen mentioned before, the D3DX12 API and the VULKAN API report different memory allowances for my GPU.

I ran the benchmark and walk around the camp in both APIs with my current settings. In short, on paper the Direct3DX12 results look better, but my takeaway is that performance in that API is not "fluid." I noticed a lot of pop-in, but that is not unique to this API. You will notice in my videos I walk to one of the cliffs overhanging Horseshoe Overlook, and it appears that a shader pops in and out there on both APIs. But my overall conclusion is that the Vulkan API is giving me better stability in presentation. One thing I thought at first was that the D3D12 API presented sharper TAA but I don't think that was really the case.

It seems Vulkan is reserving about 500mb of Ram (hmmmmmm) for itself, as a paging space for the video card to prevent pop-in. This is good.

Edit: This was all accomplished with the +10% power limit and +199Mhz overclock to my MSI GTX 970 GPU I spoke about earlier. :woot:

Last edited:
Someone mentioned Valentine crashes...

b96oslnmhhx31.png

It’s sure it’s not just me, the timerate in this game is WAY too fast.

And all these people saying there is no difference between ultra and high textures... that’s nonsense.

Last edited:
Well, I decided to buy through the Rockstar launcher directly, so I knew that the launcher was working before buying the game...

The first time I started the launcher after installing, it failed to start. LOL. Restarted my PC and it is fine now, must have been an issue with the prerequisites not being available until after a restart or something.

I'm running the game at 4K with HDR with my sig rig, i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz, 16GB ram, RTX 2080 Ti, game is on a 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVME drive, Win 10 1903..

So far the game seems to be running OK with the default settings, I'll want to play a bit more with the settings once I get into the game a bit more, but default settings were getting me ~55-75 FPS pretty consistently in the first half hour of the game. I did find the default HDR mode of "cinematic" looks pretty horrible. Changing it to "Game" really makes things look better. Turning off HDR... so far I think I strongly prefer how it looks with HDR and the Game preset...

Anyone find a way to get fullscreen exclusive mode to work? If you are in the game and when you ALT-TAB and the window pops up highlighting the game or any other programs you have running, it isn't real fullscreen mode. Non-fullscreen exclusive eats performance as it renders the desktop too while playing.

Anyone find a way to get fullscreen exclusive mode to work? If you are in the game and when you ALT-TAB and the window pops up highlighting the game or any other programs you have running, it isn't real fullscreen mode. Non-fullscreen exclusive eats performance as it renders the desktop too while playing.

Try switching to DX 12 and see if that changes anything.

Or try in your Nvidia CP to Override Scaling Mode Set By Programs.

If I click my 2nd monitor while the game is up, it tabs back to the desktop. And DSR is also working. So it's definitely exclusive fullscreen. I'm on win7+vulkan so it's probably an issue with windows 10 'fullscreen optimizations'.

Apparently enabling cloud saves was a bad idea.

I've had it hose my saves a couple times now. Game would just crash the second it finished loading into the story - saw like one frame of Arthur ass then back to the desktop. Have to delete that save to get the game to load again...

Vulkan seems to enter exclusive fullscreen, DX12 doesn't. At least when I tried on my system.

Found a glitch with my bounty that I just paid.

Paid the bounty, played a little bit more and then quit game.

Logged in today and the bounty is back, but it won't let me pay it off.

Wtf?

First person is the most comically awkward shit amplified 10 fold by the fact that it turns you into a human wrecking ball

Enjoying the game so far. My first Red dead game to play. Seems like A LOT of different controls with horse movement, fighting, crafting etc. though. Also, the log and journal and satchel make it seem overwhelming to use and work through. Game doesn't hold your hand as well as missions as seems like you can get mission or miss missions by just riding around on your horse. Trying to play as a good guy, but passed a Law wagon transporting a black female prisoner and after a few unwanted questions the 2 lawmen started blasting me and I had to blast back. Killed like a dozen of them and now I got a bounty. It was actually FUN to be BAD :) Might have to switch tactics and go the evil route although I don't know if that's the best way to play the game??

Enjoying the game so far. My first Red dead game to play. Seems like A LOT of different controls with horse movement, fighting, crafting etc. though. Also, the log and journal and satchel make it seem overwhelming to use and work through. Game doesn't hold your hand as well as missions as seems like you can get mission or miss missions by just riding around on your horse. Trying to play as a good guy, but passed a Law wagon transporting a black female prisoner and after a few unwanted questions the 2 lawmen started blasting me and I had to blast back. Killed like a dozen of them and now I got a bounty. It was actually FUN to be BAD :) Might have to switch tactics and go the evil route although I don't know if that's the best way to play the game??

im going the evil route. I play the good guy in just about every game but for the Wild West I’m going outlaw.

im going the evil route. I play the good guy in just about every game but for the Wild West I’m going outlaw.
Same. Been wrecking any mo fo that gives me a bad look.

And on top of that, taking out witnesses before they report the crime is hilarious fun.

Anyone else getting screen tearing in windowed borderless?

Why are u using Wb mode? just for quick access to desktop? I know for me running windows border less gives me some drops in frames. I always play full screen at 4k on my monitor I thing native res and full screen mode gives best game play possible

Why are u using Wb mode? just for quick access to desktop? I know for me running windows border less gives me some drops in frames. I always play full screen at 4k on my monitor I thing native res and full screen mode gives best game play possible
Well I was just trying to avoid screen tearing by using that mode. I can't even come close to maintaining 60fps with the settings that I'm using and really did not want to lower settings anymore. In some games I do use full screen but other games I use windowed borderless so I just take it on a game-by-game basis.

Anyway the issue was with DX 12 here as running in Vulkan is completely tear free in windowed borderless like it should be.

https://www.pcgamer.com/red-dead-redemption-2s-pc-port-still-has-big-problems/

Sorry if repeat. This is informative and there may be a few stopgap tips here for some of these problems. I played it for a while yesterday and was overall pretty impressed with it. I had one crash when coming in and out of the menu but it wasn't any big deal.

Since I'm on a single 1080ti at 4k I have been trying to dial in settings. I've used TAA medium with the sharpener all the way and pulled back on shadows and other cotton candy.

I'm not going to invest a lot of time in right now for the obvious reasons but I definitely got tantalized. Would it be safe to assume that Vulkan is "better" for AMD users and DX12 is "better" for Nvidia users. I'm Nvidia so I'm running DX12 for now.

Benchmark currently has me on minimum FPS 18, max 128, average 35 so obviously I need to get that average up a little bit more and then G-sync can help me out after that.

Last edited:
Saint Denis is incredible at night - having Lighting Quality on Ultra is a big difference here.

I'm not going to invest a lot of time in right now for the obvious reasons but I definitely got tantalized. Would it be safe to assume that Vulkan is "better" for AMD users and DX12 is "better" for Nvidia users or largely irrelevant?

It's generally nearly identically for most hardware it seems, with the winner being a few frames faster. Vulkan is faster on my 1080.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
https://www.pcgamer.com/red-dead-redemption-2s-pc-port-still-has-big-problems/

Sorry if repeat. This is informative and there may be a few stopgap tips here for some of these problems. I played it for a while yesterday and was overall pretty impressed with it. I had one crash when coming in and out of the menu but it wasn't any big deal.

Since I'm on a single 1080ti at 4k I have been trying to dial in settings. I've used TAA medium with the sharpener all the way and pulled back on shadows and other cotton candy.

I'm not going to invest a lot of time in right now for the obvious reasons but I definitely got tantalized. Would it be safe to assume that Vulkan is "better" for AMD users and DX12 is "better" for Nvidia users. I'm Nvidia so I'm running DX12 for now.

Benchmark currently has me on minimum FPS 18, max 128, average 35 so obviously I need to get that average up a little bit more and then G-sync can help me out after that.

I don't find DX12 any better on my 2080ti. Mostly because DX12 doesn't allow true full-screen mode, and with my X27 being G-Sync, I always find G-Sync works better when running something in full-screen rather than full-screen windowed that you get with DX12.

Most benchmarks suggest DX12 is marginally faster, but again I don't believe 1 FPS extra is worth the loss of true full-screen mode.

With my 2080ti i'm able to play with all high settings @ 4k. There will be many points where i'm in the 30-40 FPS range - But thanks to g-sync these frame rates don't feel as bad if I didn't have it.

I also find TAA medium to be the best AA setting. FXAA helps a little, but isn't worth what the performance hit is. TAA high just dulls texture detail out too much. And MSAA is just too big of a performance hit. Generally, the game seems to look best from a artistic standpoint with TAA enabled though. You can tell it was crafted to have a little bit of the blurring that TAA induces. Without it all the foliage is very rough looking even though you do get more foliage detail.

This is the first game that is really pushing my 2080ti. AC Odyssey w/ maxed out settings would settle me in the mid 40 FPS range @ 4k, but this game will cripple a system if you let it. Although I will say the difference between High and Ultra settings isn't much. The real difference will come from the level of AA you can run.

As for technical problems; The only problem I had was the launcher crashing issue which was fixed with the latest AMD microcode. Once I got past the launcher bullshit, the game itself i've had zero issues with. It runs great. The online mode i've had server bugs/issues with, however.

Last edited:
MSAA x 2 looked incredible and was my favorite but the performance hit was unbelievable. I will stick with Vulkan per that fullscreen issue. I've tweaked a few things and have my average now floating around 40 so that's probably as good as I can get it while we wait for Rockstar to fix and optimize some things further.

After 8 hours of hunting I finally got the East Satchel today. Only on my last pelt did I realize what the Buck Trinket does; it turns 2-star corpses into 3-star pelts. I was actually ignoring 2-star corpses because 'Good' pelts were useless. I looted a 2-star bear & cougar and got Perfect pelts off them and my mind exploded lol.

Well this sucks, can’t get the game to launch, it seems to load normally but it just gets stuck on a black screen :(

Well this sucks, can’t get the game to launch, it seems to load normally but it just gets stuck on a black screen :(
This is a bug when using Windows 7, there is supposed to be a patch for it.

MSAA x 2 looked incredible and was my favorite but the performance hit was unbelievable. I will stick with Vulkan per that fullscreen issue. I've tweaked a few things and have my average now floating around 40 so that's probably as good as I can get it while we wait for Rockstar to fix and optimize some things further.

I found big success in TAA with the sharpening filter enabled in the Nvidia overlay. Give it a try.

Im using windows 10.

It seems I can get to the main menu but it’s completely black.

This is usually almost certainly a video driver related issue. You could try clean sweeping your video drivers and making sure you have no weird settings applied.

After 8 hours of hunting I finally got the East Satchel today. Only on my last pelt did I realize what the Buck Trinket does; it turns 2-star corpses into 3-star pelts. I was actually ignoring 2-star corpses because 'Good' pelts were useless. I looted a 2-star bear & cougar and got Perfect pelts off them and my mind exploded lol.

What's confusing to me is how to keep the 3 star hunts a 3 star.

I shot multiple 3 star game yesterday (Gators, Deer, Bear, Etc) and they all changed to a 2 or 1 star.

Headshot? Check. One shot? Check.

Bow and arrow? No.

I think that's why they went to two star.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems random if the 3 star stays or not.

I found big success in TAA with the sharpening filter enabled in the Nvidia overlay. Give it a try.

If I do this... do you also have the sharpening in the game itself maxed out? How much sharpening did you use off that overlay? I flipped it on and just left everything at default.

For performance I'm definitely sticking with TAA Medium with in game sharpener maxed at least.

Back