Recommend me a game like Deus Ex: HR

big_aug

2[H]4U
Except less stealth. An RPG/Shooter type game with a little less stealth. I'd prefer something somewhat recent.

I haven't played to many games in the last couple years, so there I've missed a lot probably.

Metro 2033?

Not Metro.

Maybe Mass Effect? I don't play that, though.
Something more RPG, but still shooter, Borderlands is mostly kill everything :p Except once you are a higher level vs the enemies, they might as well be shooting water ballons...

Or Fallout 3/New Vegas?

Hmm. Alpha protocol is on sale on steam right now. That was pretty good and I personally liked the story/dialogue choices better.

It's not like Deus Ex, but I'd recommend S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat if you haven't already played it. Also grab the complete mod while you are at it.

Fallout 3 / New Vegas are also pretty good once modded to get rid of the dice roll shooting.

It's not like Deus Ex, but I'd recommend S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat if you haven't already played it. Also grab the complete mod while you are at it.

Fallout 3 / New Vegas are also pretty good once modded to get rid of the dice roll shooting.

Any chance you could provide a link to the mod that removes the dice roll shooting? That was easily my least favorite part of FO3 and NV.

Any chance you could provide a link to the mod that removes the dice roll shooting? That was easily my least favorite part of FO3 and NV.

I'm interested in that link too.

Op if you can stand older games, give system shock 2 a try. You can mod it too

Fallout 3/NV
Stalker Series
Mass Effect Series

Metro2033 doesn't really play very similar to me, nor Borderlands. I mean comparing Borderlands to DXHR would be like comparing Diablo to say Dragon Age, they aren't very similar despite being RPGs.

I'm interested in that link too.

Op if you can stand older games, give system shock 2 a try. You can mod it too

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34723

Just search on Nexus for "auto aim" or "aim"

Some more complete overhaul type mods also include this I believe.

i think mass effect is going to be your best bet. both 1 and 2 are excellent games and among highest rated of all time on metacritic.

i think mass effect is going to be your best bet. both 1 and 2 are excellent games and among highest rated of all time on metacritic.

I completely forgot about Mass Effect 2. I liked the first one a lot. I think I'll go with this.

Thanks!

I completely forgot about Mass Effect 2. I liked the first one a lot. I think I'll go with this.

Thanks!

Look into tweaking the controls before you start (disabling mouse acceleration, speeding up the scanner, etc.) It's kind of consolized at first but fixing those issues makes it feel a lot better.

And what I meant by "like" Deus Ex was simply some RPG style elements where you get some points and pick skills and stuff.

Mass Effect 2 is the perfect solution even though it's not an FPS.

In that case Borderlands fits. You level your character, you get items, and you kill stuff. It is more of an "action RPG" focus similar to games like Diablo. It probably has the best FPS mechanics out of everything.

Definitely. Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines and this have some similarities. Just a great game, period.

Stealth wise: Thief games and Splinter Cell games.

I wouldn't recommend Thief to anyone these days. It's a game that really requires a clear understanding of what games were like at the time and can look past the years and years of development and "improvement" the genre has gone through since.

I recommend Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines also, with the patch, its' the bomb diggity.

When a game gets my personal seal of approval, you can rest easily knowing it's THE SHIT!

I recommend Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines also, with the patch, its' the bomb diggity.

When a game gets my personal seal of approval, you can rest easily knowing it's THE SHIT!

+1 that game is awesome, more of a true RPG than most other games. Get the fanmade patch though, even with that, make sure to save a lot and on different saves because every now and then you can get stuck in walls :p

Some good recommendations in this thread already. Though I have to point out that there really isn't any games that are like DX:HR without going back to the original Deus Ex, as it was their primary source of inspiration. Given the number of mods out for it today, it is even better then it began and still a blast to play. System Shock 2 is older yet, but equally as satisfying to play if you don't mind the quirks of getting it to run on modern systems.

That said, Mass Effect Series is probably the closest modern relative of the same quality. Alpha Protocol is the only game that uses a similar "conversation battle" system, but the game itself was less then stellar (easily worth the $2 it is on sale for on Steam atm though!). The Stalker Series has some similar attributes, and is one of my personal favorites, but it does so in an open environment with a less guided storyline. Same with the Fallout series, which I am not as fond of by comparison.

It's not very similar to Deus EX HR but Metro 2033 is still a sweet game. I'm playing it now maxxed out at 1600p and it's just awesome. I wish there were more games with this kind of eye candy.

Mass Effect is not even close to the same quality as Deus Ex: HR, sorry, but no.

As much as I love Mass Effect, it's nothing like Deus Ex.

All I can think of is Thief, E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy, and Vampire: The Masquerade.

Thief games are very excellent, I liked Deadly Shadows a lot, but I think a lot of people agree that Thief 2 was the best.

Thief games are very excellent, I liked Deadly Shadows a lot, but I think a lot of people agree that Thief 2 was the best.

Deadly Shadows is the Invisible War of the Thief series. It isn't as bad as fans claim, but it doesn't come close to living up to the series' name.

Deadly Shadows is the Invisible War of the Thief series. It isn't as bad as fans claim, but it doesn't come close to living up to the series' name.

That's why I felt that I should mention I liked it a lot, but acknowledged that Thief 2 was the best in the series. I agree, it got a bad rap that it didn't really deserve the full extent of.

Deadly Shadows was my first exposure to the Thief series (Loved it to death, esp the Shalebride Cradle). Loved it enough to track down and play T2, but never went so far to play the first one.

ME2 is a good game but not really like DE. Can be a lot of fun with mods for characters and visuals though. Custom designed Sheppard faces and using the Illusive Man's eyes were some of my favorite mods. With battle scars and those eyes, you looked like a Terminator almost. ;)

Faces here if you wanna mess around.....

http://www.masseffect2faces.com/index.php

S.T.A.L.K.E.R & Metro 2033 are fucking awesome! The atmosphere in those games is unmatched.

heh, I would recommend VtM:B, but I haven't yet played Deus Ex: HR yet so I can't make a comparison. I still need to finish the original first.

splinter cell would be the only thing that comes even remotely close to this.

Older: Original Deus Ex, Deus Ex 2: Invisible War. Vampire The Masquerade:Bloodlines (WITH LATEST UNOFFICIAL PATCH!). VTMB is considered one of the best FPS/RPGs ever - few approach its depth. I highly suggest playing it - even even has "conversation checks" too, which many games didn't. Note that the character type/class you play has a HUGE effect on your gameplay experience. Huge. For instance, if you pick the Nosferatu, your hideous appearance means you can't even go out where humans can SEE you, forcing you to stay below in sewers and tunnels. Make sure you play with the Unofficial Patch (expanded) first, and then stuff like the Ultimate and Camerilla Edition versions.

More recent games, I suggest the highly-underrated Alpha Protocol. Its actually on sale this weekend on Steam for $2! You can choose to play it any way you wish, from run+gun to stealth. Realize though,your actions have consequences and impacts on EVERYTHING you do. Run and gun somewhere? You'll make X aware of you which means Y will happen. Also, everyone (even many apparent enemies) can be "talked down" and have the same "reputation" system as your friends. You'll have 3-4 replies to ANY given situation and depending how you reply others will decide if they like you or not. Typically there will be Aggressive (Jack Baur), Suave (James Bond) or Professional (Jason Borne) replies, plus one more if certain circumstances are met. For instance, at the beginning of the game you'll meet a guy named Parker - he's "old school" and if you come out with the Suave responses he'll think you're another overconfident asshole. Be "Professional" and listen to him, he'll like you.

Its really one of the best "shooterRPGs" I've played recently, in terms of story, equally up there with DE:HR in that respect. Unfortunately, its mechanics are the weakest part - for instance you can't drag bodies, but bodies sighted will put the enemy at "yellow alert" (they don't count as seeing you unless red alert alarms go off). Skill wise you have a huge selection of skills along a good amount of branches. Stealth I have to admit is a way to play through the game and get access to a lot of the harder decision points - there are times that unless you stealth in and maybe kill no one (ie "takedowns" and tranq darts only) you won't have access to certain options. However, that doesn't mean that if you don't do that you'll have a lesser game experience, every choice you make locks out certain events and unlocks other ones. Its probably one of the most complex "relationship webs" in gaming this decade.

When you start the game, you'll decide on 5+1 "classes", which will affect to some degree how people will react to you, plus your starting loadout of skills and weapons. "Soldier/SpecOps" background is heavy on the assault rifle, defense and associated. "Tech/NSA" background is heavy on gadgets, shotgun, weapon upgrade. "Agent/CIA" is pistols, martial arts, and stealth dominant, "Freelancer/Mercenary" basically gives you the same amount of points as all the others to spec how you want with no predefined. Note, on ANY of these backgrounds you can actually "unlearn" a talent point in any given tree and redirect it to somewhere else, so pick the one closest to the RP background you want in the game and customize it as you like. Finally, there's the Recruit background which gives you NO points in anything - you're fresh out of Academy - this is the "special" one because if you beat the game with this background, you unlock the "Veteran" class which starts with 3 ranks in EVERY skill, which is like 120 skillpoints to move around as you wish at start. Every class has background related conversation options, but Recruit and Veteran have more of them. Veteran when you unlock it it also lets you do some special things you can't do otherwise (there's a point in the game for instance where you have to make a decision, save an associate or get the full amount of data off a hard drive. You have to choose, but on Veteran you can actually do both!). Recruit is a challenge, but its up to you if you want to undertake it on your first playthrough.

Oh and if you have a Xbox360 controller on your PC somehow, it works REALLY well and makes control much easier.

Alpha Protocol, for $2 is definitely worth playing.

Alternate games, modern: Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 (make sure you play them on the same platform as you want to transfer saves between) are "RPG/Shooters" that don't rely on stealth. The Witcher and The Witcher 2 aren't exactly shooters, but they're great RPGs with lots of branching paths and not-easily apparent decisions, sidequests and more. Asssassin's Creed series (2 and Brotherhood especially) and Splinter Cell Conviction could be good options as well if you don't mind their interpretation of "some" stealth, which isn't as hardcore as many older games or those with "stealth paths". I enjoyed them both.

Last edited:
Back