Ray Tracing Deep Dive: Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by vjhawk, Nov 20, 2018.

1. vjhawk

vjhawk Limp Gawd

Here we have a video examining how RTX ray tracing is implemented in Battlefield V.

The most significant drawback, besides the massive performance hit is the noise.

Particularly check out the scene where they examine ray traced waves and it looks noisy as hell instead of smooth. In fact I'd say I preferred the look of the smoother non ray-traced waves because of that noise.

Having now seen actual RTX Ray Tracing in a AAA game like Battlefield V, do you feel like it's worth it?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  2. jmilcher

jmilcher 2[H]4U

Let’s just say I generally have a high end or cutting edge video card. I’m not sold on rtx. I’m also not sold on the current pricing scheme.

I wasn’t sold on hair works either. Not physx either.

Once bit...

dvsman likes this.
  3. Maddness

Maddness Gawd

This is only one game. Way to early to make a call like that. Ever since i read about it years ago, i have been waiting for it to come to gaming PC's. Whilst this launch has been far from great to say the least, i believe it's a step in a good direction for gaming overall. Game devs are very keen on it. From what i have read there is less work involved in it compared to rasterized graphics. We just need to give it time.

4. Aireoth

Aireoth [H]ard|Gawd

Ray Tracing won't go anywhere unless:

1. The cost is dramatically reduced AND
    2. AMD has it as well.

As long as its locked to one manufacturer's line, it will die like all the other things: Beta, Mini Disc, Hair Works, etc.

Either everyone has it, or no one will really make things for it.

5. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

The problem is not if it is worth it the problem is that even when you run very optimized code the frame rate takes such a dive for so so graphical effects.
    DICE tends to be very good at optimizing for certain hardware features and that is the best they could do that means that if developers implement more ray tracing in other games it will make it very hard to do it well or fake it and hope no one will notice.

Everyone knew that ray tracing on first generation hardware was never going to work well same happened for transform and lighting.
    But who knows where it is going?
    One thing is pretty sad is that you will hear that it is the future and that might be true but then you read this:
    https://fudzilla.com/news/graphics/47636-turing-rt-cores-are-made-for-ai

Well it seems that someone is covering their behind and that "the way you are meant to be played" Ray tracing by Nvidia might become a thing.

The article ends on a cliffhanger tho :) .
    Always find it a bit hard to swallow the very very very very mixed message Fudzilla sends.

6. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

ray-tracing is worth it in the long run...but not in its current form...will take 2-3 generations for it to be used to its potential...the people that bought 2080Ti cards for ray-tracing are people who don't know how technology works...anyone who thought that 1st gen ray-tracing cards would deliver something groundbreaking are insane

dvsman likes this.
  7. Hagrid

Hagrid Kyle's Boo

I think it will be pretty cool in a few years when the cards can really keep up with fast moving games.

I would like to see some puzzle solving games using RTX. It should look really good and you would be able to look around better without bullets grazing your booty.

8. Vega

Vega [H]ardness Supreme

RTX won't be really useful for 2-3 GPU generations at 1080p for high FPS game-play. 4K is 4-5 GPU generations away at high FPS game-play. I am basically writing it off for now.

9. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

Raytracing will -always- be a unicorn. When it gets to the point where we have cards that can raytrace at 1080p 60FPS, top-end cards will be running normal graphics at 4K 100FPS. When we get Raytracing working at 4K100 FPS, top end cards will be running 8K at 200FPS. the cycle will continue and real time raytracing will ALWAYS be a unicorn.

Legendary Gamer likes this.
  10. cybereality

cybereality 2[H]4U

It's a scam. I'm not a hater. I bought 2 2080 Ti cards. For rasterized games, the performance is great and I'm happy there.

But I spent that last 2 days testing DXR on BFV, and it's a bust. I can barely get 60 fps with Ultra settings, DXR on Low. In intense scenes, it's dropping into 40 or 30 fps. This is at 1080p ultrawide, not a high resolution.

With DXR off, and some tweaks to the settings (mostly Ultra, with some High), I can get in the 135 - 145 fps range, much more playable. Can't see why I would want to drop to 1/3rd of the performance for slightly nicer puddles. Fail.

Legendary Gamer, isp, noko and 3 others like this.
  11. Montu

Montu [H]ard DCOTM x4

Give it a bit more time. If you're playing single player it will probably be acceptable. However, for a multi-player shooter it's too much of a performance hog. Maybe DICE can squeeze out some more performance as they play around with it.

cybereality likes this.
  12. dr.stevil

dr.stevil [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah, I can see it benefiting something like Civ over a multiplayer FPS (in it's current form), although, to be quite frank... a talented art team can "fake" it with pretty convincing results, especially with things like physically based rendering/shaders/materials in modern game engines. (although, one can argue that limiting rays to a few bounces isn't really an accurate representation of light anyway, so why even focus on RTRT?)

Realtime raytracing is absolutely the crown jewel, but at this point, it's still many many years away IMO. The efficiency and performance of current tech is just so much better. Seeing the BFV demo is impressive, at a technical level, but not very impressive on an actual graphical fidelity level (again, IMO)

With that said, I can see this tech being very beneficial to computer animation studios and the like. Being able to get a semi-accurate preview of your work, without waiting for a complete scene render, would be a huge time saver.

:edited for stuff:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    {NG}Fidel and cybereality like this.
  13. kirbyrj

kirbyrj Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?

I think the $600, $800, and $1200 price points are clearly out of line compared to the previous $379, $549, $699 prior generation. So if you're going to sell me a bill of goods that this new technology is worth the up charge, then it better work. If RTX features were just a bonus at the previous price points, no one cares that the performance is cut in half when you enable it. It's just a "bonus." But when you up charge $500 on the top end, you better put out a compelling product, and quite frankly they haven't.

dvsman, imsirovic5, wyqtor and 6 others like this.
  14. THRESHIN

THRESHIN 2[H]4U

As many of stated, ray tracing is likely the future but as first gen it's not so great. A common problem with many things. I remember T&L and per pixellighting (DX8) taking a while to really be worthwhile.

One thing concerns me though.....ray tracing (at the moment) is a completely different way of rendering. We're all going to want to play our old games down the road that use 'traditional' rendering. Is this going to be a problem in the future with respect to core design complexity? Are we going tobe holding back ray tracing performance potential? Hope not.

15. Pieter3dnow

Back way back when I used Imagine software (Amiga) to ray trace stuff and all of the demo bits were amazing until you needed it to render then scanline rendering was better because rendering finished a lot sooner all that is needed is where hardware solves this problem.

Nvidia created a problem for itself when they started this (ray tracing lofty goal) everyone needed ray tracing and like I said on the Amiga it looks really cool you can sell people on that it is better but what Nvidia forgot is that the problem for ray tracing is in hardware not software.

Since all of this is on Nvidia they should fix it And that part I know will likely not happen for the simple reason is that the hardware real estate (the amount of mm2 of the die) is so large that they run the risk of making it larger and eating more shader performance in favour of Turing AI/RTX cores is not something that makes sense. That leaves Nvidia making better use of their hardware a smarter way to implement the current shaders by either redesign or other options.

And that will take time if it was easy it would have been done already. So don't expect anything soon within 2 or 3 generations for this to be fixed.

btw that does not mean that Nvidia won't start making 800+ mm2 dies for the next generation.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    cybereality likes this.
  16. BladeDancer314

BladeDancer314 [H]Lite

When video cards start to do 144fps w/RT on I'll start to care about it, so not worth it to me right now.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    isp likes this.
  17. Ruddys

Ruddys n00bie

Ray tracking not worth it .Only reason I own RTX 2080 is because I upgraded whole system with adding a little money so it was worth from my perspective.
    I am more hoping for DLSS support in games than ray tracing.
    As well for Ray tracing my guess only is that its more optimisation issue than hardware itself as devs had very little time to work with in and implement in their games.
    But might be wrong about last point

18. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

hell no it's not worth it today...in 2-3 years hopefully yes but not now with the 2070/2080 cards

dvsman likes this.
  19. Ski

Ski Gawd

This is coming from someone who works professionally in the 3d modeling and rendering industry, so to be brief I'll summarize it like this:

• Short term: Not worth it at all because the prices are over-inflated, the technology is in its infancy, and the only real beneficial improvements will be with professional users for rendering.

• Long term: Raytracing is the holy grail of computer graphics, and when the tech matures it will be like watching real cgi movies.

euskalzabe, dvsman, Chimpee and 3 others like this.
  20. dvsman

dvsman 2[H]4U

RT in the 20xx series is really a conundrum. On the one hand it's cool that it has new technology, on the other hand it comes at such a price premium. Now if RT was established and every game had it and it was optimized, then the premium might be worth it. BUT since you're forced to pay a premium for 1st gen hardware and little software support on top of the extra $$$ you just paid - you're basically paying extra to beta test for them. In the few years for RT to have more ubiquitous support among developers, newer generation hardware will be out (from both red and green) which will likely be cheaper and perform better as well.

Right now it's basically early adopter tax all around - as has been said a la physix / hair works.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  21. cybereality

cybereality 2[H]4U

The BFV patch is supposed to increase RT performance by like 50%. Still a hit, but should be playable.

I haven't tried it yet, let me see if I can take a look tonight.

Dayaks and Maddness like this.
  22. Pieter3dnow

They removed some of the rays in ray tracing ;) on certain objects. It should be fine now from what I saw on youtube...

23. kirbyrj

kirbyrj Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?

Yeah I heard the same thing. Their solution was to dial back image quality to increase performance.

Pieter3dnow likes this.
  24. rinaldo00

rinaldo00 [H]ard|Gawd

2-3 HUMAN generations

cybereality likes this.