Ray Tracing Deep Dive: Is it worth it?

I hope you are wrong there. We have already seen how powerful the new series from Nvidia is, and the huge performance cost of enabling Ray Tracing. If what you say is true, it could literally take them 10 years or more before that came to pass. I'm very hyped about it and want AMD to get on board.
I understand what you are saying but what we have seen so far in Battlefield 5 is underwhelming and it had to be turned down for the hardware. 2 signs that we are not there yet.
There is a good change that if this continues we will start to see over the top graphics to compensate in the next few releases just to draw people in.
Let AMD catchup with their 2021 architecture then see what it is going on. If that works then a next step could be ray tracing if they figured it out yet.

There still rumours of ray tracing in the next batch of consoles.

You mean ... they even have it with a hack on AMD Vega cards. But the big problem is RTX API renders the complementary scene of DXR limited scene to what you see. So you won't see it well on any non Nvidia card. I wasn't expecting such a huge support from developers, but here it is, and there is no way back or aside as the Mantle way for the AMD side. AMD sales are poor and only on the lower end cards from people playing cheap games, mostly freebies or oldies. So AMD is not in position to come close to real raytracing as RTX cards do. AMD has lost all interest from developers. Future games will become more and more only non RTX partially compatible, rendering poorly on other kind of GPU. AMD cards like Navi and Vega II will be good in 4K on non raytracing games... but who cares.
My bet AMD will be back when Intel will come to the GPU market, trailing Intel standards. AMD and Intel will come together with same standards to hope taking shares from Nvidia near 100% gaming market. So it will happen in 2020 or 2021.

It doesn’t do anything on amd cards.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/no-a...rtx-effects-on-the-vega-64-or-other-amd-gpus/

What you’re describing is screen space reflections, which do not use any ray tracing at all.

What you’re describing is screen space reflections, which do not use any ray tracing at all.
To be exact, though, screen space reflections are based on screen space ray-tracing. So the technique actually is a form of ray-tracing, however done in a shader rather than using dedicated hardware.

I'm fine with my ultrawide 1440 gaming monitor and no ray tracing for a while, I like frame rates better.

Any worthwhile adventure in REAL Ray Tracing will require many more Rays than Nv can push now. It will probably take the return of some type of bridging bertween GPUs aka. SLI to get this going right. As well as a mature API to support it. Developers need to engage Multiple GPUs and be encouraged to use that horsepower option at whim and without a programming penalty.

Last edited:
I see frame rates cut in half (from 100s to 50s) when I enable DXR at Ultra in BFV. DXR at Medium was more acceptable at 70-80s but it fluctuates downwards.

Out of curiosity I examined water puddle reflections with DXR Off and i still see the trees/rocks reflected accurately as well as follow my mouse movements. That's realistic enough for me. I value high and consistent frame rates more than realistic reflections on water and metallic objects.

If a new feature have difficulty achieving playable frame rates at 60fps at 1440p and above on a $1.2K flagship GPU, it shouldn't be there in the first place. Much less so something you want to blow your trumpet about.

Just watching the live Nvidia Ray Tracing and DLSS. It's pretty damn impressive. I had no idea that you could run both at the same time. It looks like there will be more BFV updates for quite a bit more performance. And it improves the graphics. If you haven't seen the CES video, you should. To see reflections running that aren't on screen is amazing. People can bag this technology all they want, but this is stunning and the furure for gaming. I have no doubt about that.

Last edited:
Wow an update Nvidia is going to allow some A- Sync monitors to work with Nvidia cards. That means some freesync models will work with VRR and and Nvidia card. Probably Freesync 2 panels. Big news.

Wow an update Nvidia is going to allow some A- Sync monitors to work with Nvidia cards. That means some freesync models will work with VRR and and Nvidia card. Probably Freesync 2 panels. Big news.
Hopefully with HDR as well with VRR.

Back