Rage sucks

id died when Q3A died. Everyone else surpassed it at that point.

Sorry, thats the truth. At one point, Carmack and Romero were rock
stars. But like all rock stars, they die. They don't burn out, they don't
fade away, true rock stars just die.

Consider Rage Carmacks gravestone if you would.

this.

i played some more rage. ya the textures are not that nice. if they were sharper and stuff it might have made fans a lot more happy.

i am enjoying the gameplay though. it is like a classic id software type game. quick reflex and stuff.

It would be interesting to see what the actual raw texture files look like compared to what is actually being displayed due to the method of streaming being employed.

I must admit this will be the last time I pre-purchase a game. I've been burned too many times now.

And yet time and time again with every game release, the developers are lazy and don't. They can't program properly using the resources they have, then shift the blame off to Nvidia and AMD for drivers that don't work with "their" game. Developers are constantly working BEHIND driver release versions and aiming for OLDER hardware. Why is every damn release in the past couple years so broken on release and reliant on launch day drivers?

Seriously? The drivers and platform have been out for ages. Games go "GOLD" weeks, even months before shelf date in most cases. How fucking hard is it to work with what you have, and what has been on the market/web for months to make sure it works right? Why is it Nvidia and AMD's responsibility to time and time again clean up after the developers? Why do we need release day driver updates? Why do we need release day sli profiles? Why isn't this shit done ahead of time in the existing software? Almost every goddamn game engine or port developed in the past god knows how many years suffer from this lazy ass bullshit.

It gets so tiresome. As I said before, I'm glad I'm months behind on picking up these titles so the shit is hopefully fixed by the time I get it....

QFT.

So I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the 21 gb of game data is, because from the screenshots people have posted it sure the hell isn't in the textures.

Maybe, but at least it had.....

excellent gfx
tonnes of gfx options
proper m&kb bindings
good weapons
outstanding character animations
long campaign

and Multi-player worth at least half a shit

I am tempted to go dig up my Radeon x800, replace my HD 4850 with it, try to find some Win7 x64 drivers for it, and see if Rage works better on it.

What say you, [H]? If I get three "do its", it shall be done.

Do IT!
Document your results.

Man this doesn't sound like good news at all, pre-ordered the game almost 2 months ago, downloading it now through steam......

If I remember reading a article by Gearbox or IW, most developers these days focus more on consoles rather than the pc due to piracy or something, because things are much more easier to pirate for the pc then a console.

Called it. After viewing the pre-release videos it looked awfully boring. Where did they get those textures from, Quake 1?

I dug out the x800, pulled out my 4850 and put in the x800, but I'm sorry to say that the x800 seems to have passed on. :(

It may have been my only hope to actually play Rage tonight, too.

I have a working 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 PCI in a box at home somewhere. I don't have a copy of RAGE though. :p

Actually, I had to lower it to 8x AA to get it to run 60FPS solid (where I said I ran it 16x previously). It choked a little at 16x and I'd rather it be consistent.

And yeah, the textures aren't pretty but I tell ya hhwhat, the landscape is nice, heh. The character models look alright but they skimped on little details on the walls as shown.

It's definitely optimized for consoles but I have to give them a point for not totally skimping and including 7.1 sound.

I can't wait until the next-gen consoles so we can start utilizing the power of current hardware 3 years from now.

I dug out the x800, pulled out my 4850 and put in the x800, but I'm sorry to say that the x800 seems to have passed on. :(

It may have been my only hope to actually play Rage tonight, too.

only one thing to do. bake it.
see if you cant get alittle life out of it
stick it in an oven at 200 degrees for 10 min. and see if you get video afterwords

One thing's for sure, the game runs extremely well, even on my "old" rig.

q9550 @ 3.7
gtx480 OC'd
6GB

2560x1600, 8xAA, at 60fps 99% of the time. I wish I could disable the FPS cap to see what FPS I can achieve.

edit: Is there a way to force "maximum" graphic settings? idtech5 is probably scaling the graphics down a tiny bit for my rig...

I'm not seeing the painfully obvious pop-in that I've seen in the videos.

That's a relief, I may try the game then. When I first saw that video with the severe texture streaming, I was thinking "no way".

it also looks better when you delete the game.. since there will be 21 gig of space free for games that are worth it :p

Ouch! Carmack's not getting much love is he?

I could picture Kyle, Carmack and Yerli sitting down having a cup of coffee together talking about ...............................................

Last edited:
I could picture Kyle, Carmack and Yerli sitting down having a cup of coffee together talking about ...............................................

What Kyle's boot tastes like having entered their ass and made it's way out their mouth?

maybe someone here can help me.. I hit W/A/S/D and sometimes I won't move at all.. Other times I continue moving and can't stop. Is this my game or does everyone have this problem?

What Kyle's boot tastes like having entered their ass and made it's way out their mouth?
If you consider typical internet forum bitching the equivalent of "boot having entered their ass", then...sure.

Showing this thread to reasonable gamers (PC and/or console, "Hardcore" and "casual") has generated quite a bit of amazement and befuddlement. Mostly ends in "Why exactly are they complaining about something no one forced them to buy?" or "Really? No wonder developers don't really care about PC gaming anymore".

If you consider typical internet forum bitching the equivalent of "boot having entered their ass", then...sure.

Showing this thread to reasonable gamers (PC and/or console, "Hardcore" and "casual") has generated quite a bit of amazement and befuddlement. Mostly ends in "Why exactly are they complaining about something no one forced them to buy?" or "Really? No wonder developers don't really care about PC gaming anymore".

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure they'll see the same behaviour from console players in 5-10 years when they start getting dodgy port of smartphone/tablet games. I can tell you right now it's coming.

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure they'll see the same behaviour from console players in 5-10 years when they start getting dodgy port of smartphone/tablet games. I can tell you right now it's coming.

A dodgy port of a game designed for a touch interface and a different experience altogether?
A dodgy idea to even attempt a port that way. May work the other way however.

At this point, the only difference between console and PC gamers bitching is the platform, and perhaps the topic and/or games. I try avoiding these threads because logic and/or reason is ever brought to the table, but sometimes the time sink involved brings out a few laughs. An anomaly usually.

A dodgy port of a game designed for a touch interface and a different experience altogether?

At this point, the only difference between console and PC gamers bitching is the platform, and perhaps the topic and/or games. I try avoiding these threads because logic and/or reason is ever brought to the table, but sometimes the time sink involved brings out a few laughs. An anomaly usually.

The gap between the touch-interface and motion-sensing console devices is a lot smaller than that between touch and mouse-and-keyboard/gamepad...and probably small enough for developers to justify porting iPad/iPhone/iOverpricedDesignedToFailShit games to the consoles.

Example? Fruit Ninja is on the 360 Kinect.

Eh people made similar comments with regards to RPG's and FPS's 10 years ago when someone brought up the idea of moving those sort of titles to a console. And really all you see a lot of on the PC right now are dodgy ports of games designed for dual analogue being dragged over to the PC (have you tried playing Space Marine on the PC with a mouse? That shit is messed up) so it's not that much different. Hell if anything mouse focused games like the Diablo franchise could work just as easily on a tablet with some minor changes.

Give the publishers a window any they will have the developers make it work. This industry is run by guys with business degree's these days (not the guys that make the games), if they see the big money is in touch devices (the iPhones game centre just hit 67 million registered users) then that's where the suits will focus the top tier development resources. It has nothing to do with which platform is the most optimal for play, it’s what will generate the most revenue for the company. We’ve already seen the phone start to bury the handheld gaming market, I doubt the home console is far behind.

You already see companies like Epic getting ready for the shift to spaces like smartphone/tablet games and browser games with all the work they’ve done with Unreal engine on the iPhone (see infinity blade) and their recently announced flash 11 support (facebook games, powered by Unreal). iD has essentially already started to make the same moves with those Rage titles they put out last year.

Brent, have you played it? That's hardly the worst of it. You can find textures that look like that by walking up to any wall. I seriously can't figure out why this game is 21GB? It looks like Mass Effect from 2007. Seriously, id's "next gen" looks like Unreal Engine 3 (you know, the engine that 80% of console games use nowadays) just with crappier textures?

I went in expecting horrors, came out with 60 fps locked at 8x FSAA on a GTX 260... whipping a 180 as fast as I can, texture pop up takes probably literally half a second.

sup

These threads really do amuse me. Not because I agree with the average PC gamer's bitching these days, but because it's hilarious to watch them **sunglasses** RAGE.

Game runs great for me. Updated to new nvidia beta drivers, added a few console tweaks and, boom, runs like a dream. I understand that many people are having issues, but I can't say I share in the hate; although, I had some tearing before I updated drivers.

My cvars on my launch shortcut:
+cvaradd g_fov 12 +com_allowconsole 1 +com_skipIntroVideo 1 +image_anisotropy 16 +image_usecompression 0 +g_showplayershadow 1 +m_smooth 0

Runs at 60 fps, at 1920x1080, with AA at 4x, AF at 16. Sure, there is some minor texture popin in some areas, but nothing I worry about. The lack of high res textures in some internal areas is fine by me (ie. the phone on the desk), it kinda works like a Bokeh, and keeps what is important in detail. Otherwise, the game runs smooth as butter, and looks awesome.

I am not disappointed.

System:
Core i3 550 Clarkdale
8 GB GSkill
MSi motherboard. nothing special.
nVidia GTX 570 1280 MB 320-Bit
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 32 MB buffer
32" LG screen

Based on what I've seen and been reading: It is disappointing that the PC game would have so many problems on launch, and maybe the in-game menus are poor, but I'm glad to see someone mess with the cvars to optimize their game.

Don't think I need to quote Kyle at this point, but I 100% agree. Seems like plenty of companies with focus and vision for new games could use id's tech much better than they can.

It amazes me that it took 6 years for id to produce another very average game. I don't think this is truly Carmack's fault, he's just the tech guy and not a producer, but I do think someone at id software needs a kick in the ass, and probably a boot out the door. 6 years for a mediocre console shooter? With RPG elements that make your game look like a half-assed ripoff of Fallout 3? From a company that does not have a history of triple-A console games, and therefore has no reason to expect high enough sales to recoup the huge development cost? How is that good business? Rage is nowhere near revolutionary enough and packs far too little content to justify its development.

I understand that the marketing numbers favor consoles for selling FPS games, but some companies do succeed producing only PC games (Blizzard being the obvious example), and not just MMOs either. (How many copies did Diablo 2 sell? As of a year or two ago it was still selling ...) Given id's rich history on PCs, making a tight, focused PC game would seem more promising on the risk/reward scale. Quake 3 was the shit, a very twitchy game where half-second skill shots decided winners or losers. Has there been a game like it since? All I see are complicated games with RPG elements (levels/equipment/jobs etc.), slow paced movement, cover & heal, large scale tactics etc ... but nothing like Quake 3. Such a game would be easy and cheap to make, and sell very well among PC gamers on Steam etc.

I do feel bad for those who preordered/preloaded hoping for a great new game from id. The PC version may ultimately be fixed, and the game itself may not be so far the 8/10 reviews we're seeing, but given the huge number of games now available to us, from old classics to new bleeding edge titles, "good enough" doesn't cut it, especially from id. Had they quit making games a decade ago, I don't think the gaming world would've lost anything of significance.

Hah! Hadn't thought of that. Though such games are usually designed differently, for quick play with touchscreen interfaces and not to replace console games, I would not be one bit surprised to see it.

Back