Rage sucks

Yes and Yes. AMD has released two drivers for Rage which pretty much fix the texture pop-in issues according to a hardocp.com front page release and nVidia released 1 but was better to start with. Even hardOCP's Mark said so:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU121AMDCatRagePerfDriver.aspx

The things people were complaining about, after driver releases from both companies respectively are now pretty much gone. Sadly, the bad taste will remain in people's mouths and the complaining about this game has become legendary enough to probably prevent some sales.

It seems pretty dramatic to start a letter writing/petition/campaign to ask for your money back because you had to wait 24-hours for ATI to release a driver and a later second revision before the game worked properly. Honestly, ATI/nVidia should probably have had this driver out BEFORE the games release if they were given a pre-release copy, etc for optimization.

My guess is they were too overly concerned with race for the best BF3 Beta Performance Drivers b/c they wanted their video cards to generate the most BF3 sales. So concerned, they gave Rage customers the shaft. I'd personally point my glaring eyes at my video card manufacturer slightly if a driver can make massive texture pop-ins be "significantly reduced"

Its not just the driver issues, its the lack of graphical options in the menu and the low rez poorly detailed textures. After 6 years or however long this took to develop, you would think they could have finished the high rez texture package for the pc version that carmack has talked about adding.

Kyle has a great rep with the business! Kyle gets the job done. Some of you wont remember his efforts and some of us WILL NEVER FORGET!

Hand me a shotgun... puresquawk65 needs to have his feathers refluffed in a new pattern. :D

This thread is depressing but I have to wonder, only real PC fanboys would be so disappointed by this lack of greatness?

I mean, who cares? ID had never made good games. Their engines were great but even their graphics were not so great.

The real reason people are so mad is because fanboys hail ID as the last bastion of PC gaming and this game shows that even they hardly give a shit about PCs anymore.

So all I have to say is, PC fanboys, finally accepting defeat (even though it happened 5 years ago).

This thread is depressing but I have to wonder, only real PC fanboys would be so disappointed by this lack of greatness?

I mean, who cares? ID had never made good games. Their engines were great but even their graphics were not so great.

The real reason people are so mad is because fanboys hail ID as the last bastion of PC gaming and this game shows that even they hardly give a shit about PCs anymore.

So all I have to say is, PC fanboys, finally accepting defeat (even though it happened 5 years ago).

You're right, Doom and Quake aren't good games, and Doom 3 didn't have great graphics.

WE HAVE NOW JUST BEGUN!

Rage doesn't even rise to the level of a console port. It looks more like a console game hacked to run on the PC. But, I knew to be worried when id Software was showing off Rage on the iPhone. Id Software isn't as interested in advancing the art as in retreating to the lowest common denominator.

Rage doesn't even rise to the level of a console port. It looks more like a console game hacked to run on the PC. But, I knew to be worried when id Software was showing off Rage on the iPhone. Id Software isn't as interested in advancing the art as in retreating to the lowest common denominator.

I accept that :p

Fun Factoid:

According to wiki.answers.com, John's email address is...

[email protected]

I say we start email bombing that address, with our disgust for his latest shovel-Rage-ware!

Update:

Just tried to send my RAGEmail to old Johnny Boi, but it didn't work. Looks like its off the air.
:(

Last edited:
That was kind of amusing. The last time I was into FPS and a gamer in general was Duke Nukem 3D (ancient times), but while I only play things like Civ V now, I do keep track of how games are doing. So I read the first sentence of Kyle's description, and, before realizing it is ironic, I clicked on the image to admire the graphics... It took me about a minute trying to figure out how could the crap I was seeing be considered a great modern game. Then I went back to the description and read the rest...
:)

That was kind of amusing. The last time I was into FPS and a gamer in general was Duke Nukem 3D (ancient times), but while I only play things like Civ V now, I do keep track of how games are doing. So I read the first sentence of Kyle's description, and, before realizing it is ironic, I clicked on the image to admire the graphics... It took me about a minute trying to figure out how could the crap I was seeing be considered a great modern game. Then I went back to the description and read the rest...
:)

great than follow the link Kyle posted and post your feelings.

I didn't buy Rage, had no real plans to because of all the new releases this year. I'm just wondering after reading all the posts why nobody noticed the "craptacularness" before buying the game? Haven't they been releasing gameplay footage, screenshots and such like any normal game launch?

I'm just curious to know why people bought the game to begin with?

Pun76.jpg

running on id tech 5:

pun761.jpg

Good thing I didn't buy that game.

Sad thing is, I can recognize our old offices in that picture (we moved to a new building about a year or two ago, and idSoft moved into our old building). To think I used to work two floors below where their latest turd got developed...

I didn't buy Rage, had no real plans to because of all the new releases this year. I'm just wondering after reading all the posts why nobody noticed the "craptacularness" before buying the game? Haven't they been releasing gameplay footage, screenshots and such like any normal game launch?

Everything I saw pointed to a game that, while not revolutionary by any stretch, would at least be fun to play and look pretty. Instead I got a game that had bugs in it that should have never gotten it past QA. Oh well foolish me.

well to be honest, John Carmack and id. Us old school people have respect for him and id.

Other than technical bugs, sub-par graphics, and lack of customization... is the game any fun? It looks fun.

Game ran great out of the box for me. I enjoy the gunplay quite a bit. The vehicle action is loads of fun as well. Overall, I enjoy the gameplay a lot. The graphics aren't groundbreaking for sure. However, given the fluidity I think it looks pretty good.

All this hatred is really comical.

John Carmack was a person to us old people in gaming was a respectable man. We loved what he did. We are embarrassed now.

Game ran great out of the box for me. I enjoy the gunplay quite a bit. The vehicle action is loads of fun as well. Overall, I enjoy the gameplay a lot. The graphics aren't groundbreaking for sure. However, given the fluidity I think it looks pretty good.

All this hatred is really comical.

I still respect him! I would like to hear from him as to why this happened?

I still respect him! I would like to hear from him as to why this happened?

Probably the same reasons it happens all too often. Even the consoles get buggy games more than they used to:

Hit the deadline and release it come hell or high water and try and fix/patch it up later.

Catering to the consoles first doesn't help the PC folks, either, in addition to that above and unfortunately almost universal "standard."

Exactly.

But us old schoolers by now have realized that ID's strength was always in the technical.

They have been revising the same game since Wolf 3D, with varying degrees of success.

Last edited:

Actually, id software is interested in making as much money as possible (since they are first and foremost a business). You don't do that by making games for just PC, or just consoles, or just phones - you make an engine that works on everything. PC gaming will never rule the roost again. Get over it.

I signed up just to sound off on this thread. What a bunch of children you are... I have met six year olds that have less warped worldviews.

Trying to get your money back from Bethesda because of day one bugs... is that seriously the guy who runs this website? Have you only been playing PC games for three months? Did no one here suffer through the first five or six versions of DirectX? What about random Dos4gw crashes back when Duke Nukem 3D was new? Remember the good old days when game crashes would hard lock the computer and then take two minutes to boot back up again? Oh, wait, back then even if the computer didn't hard lock you still had to reboot, only difference was you could do it with ctrl+alt+del instead of your reset button.

So a game has some buggy textures and drive profiles and cfg file fixes are already coming out to alleviate these problems. It runs silky smooth and is not demanding on your hardware. You can play through the game start to finish without getting dumped to the desktop - its not a good game, but I'm not sure how you could expect a good game from [id] these days anyway... there is a full decade between now and the '90s. You want your money back, even though you knew full well when you bought it you had no legal recourse to get a refund.

This 30 page temper tantrum from you guys is beautiful. I don't see why anyone would support an audience as vitriolic and unreasonable as you guys are. If I was a Battlefield 3 community manager, I would have gone on a shooting rampage at the nearest LAN party. If I was John Carmack, I'd use my next developer keynote to call out the "PC enthusiast" community for what they are - a bunch of bitchy, unreasonable neckbearded geeks, and then I'd make my next game a 2D Commander Keen sequel with the iPhone as the lead platform. If I was Gabe Newell, I would delay Half Life 3 another five years because this community simply does not deserve nice things.

But anyway...

Probably the same reasons it happens all too often. Even the consoles get buggy games more than they used to:

Hit the deadline and release it come hell or high water and try and fix/patch it up later.

Catering to the consoles first doesn't help the PC folks, either, in addition to that above and unfortunately almost universal "standard."

I understand that point but until he tells his fans, That shit doesn't fly!

I understand that point but until he tells his fans, That shit doesn't fly!

What do you think the odds are he's going to come out and admit publicly: "Yeah, we were making a console game that we a did bad PC port job on and we had to hit that hard deadline no matter what and figured we'd patch it up and play catch up later like pretty much almost everyone else does." ?

;)

I'm enjoying the game to be honest, the visuals look good and while the gameplay isn't anything revolutionary it's still pretty good.

The hardcore PC enthusiast side of me does dislike the extremely limited graphics options, all you can change is resolution, AA and GPU transcoding. I hate how it's capped at 60 frames and i hate how the texture pop ins.

BUT, is the game fun?, for me it is. Most of the people who are complaining are the butt hurt PC elitists who are mad that Rage isn't another Crysis.

Yes. I've been a newb since the C64. :rolleyes:

So, lazy devs get to demand that hardware vendors work around their lame ass game engines? Nice.

The game runs fine on Nvidia cards. Runs like shit on my system with an ATI card though.

It isn't exactly a 'new thing' that ATI has shit OGL support.

Actually, id software is interested in making as much money as possible (since they are first and foremost a business). You don't do that by making games for just PC, or just consoles, or just phones - you make an engine that works on everything. PC gaming will never rule the roost again. Get over it.

I signed up just to sound off on this thread. What a bunch of children you are... I have met six year olds that have less warped worldviews.

Trying to get your money back from Bethesda because of day one bugs... is that seriously the guy who runs this website? Have you only been playing PC games for three months? Did no one here suffer through the first five or six versions of DirectX? What about random Dos4gw crashes back when Duke Nukem 3D was new? Remember the good old days when game crashes would hard lock the computer and then take two minutes to boot back up again? Oh, wait, back then even if the computer didn't hard lock you still had to reboot, only difference was you could do it with ctrl+alt+del instead of your reset button.

So a game has some buggy textures and drive profiles and cfg file fixes are already coming out to alleviate these problems. It runs silky smooth and is not demanding on your hardware. You can play through the game start to finish without getting dumped to the desktop - its not a good game, but I'm not sure how you could expect a good game from [id] these days anyway... there is a full decade between now and the '90s. You want your money back, even though you knew full well when you bought it you had no legal recourse to get a refund.

This 30 page temper tantrum from you guys is beautiful. I don't see why anyone would support an audience as vitriolic and unreasonable as you guys are. If I was a Battlefield 3 community manager, I would have gone on a shooting rampage at the nearest LAN party. If I was John Carmack, I'd use my next developer keynote to call out the "PC enthusiast" community for what they are - a bunch of bitchy, unreasonable neckbearded geeks, and then I'd make my next game a 2D Commander Keen sequel with the iPhone as the lead platform. If I was Gabe Newell, I would delay Half Life 3 another five years because this community simply does not deserve nice things.

But anyway...

John, I'm sorry you are now taking cues from Romero on how to respond to valid anger.

Don't compare iD software to Gabe Newell or the crew at Valve.. Valve supports PC gaming and has actually developed a profitable content delivery system rather than caving in to the console kiddies and forgetting who gave them their first millions.

One day bugs? LMFAO, if this steaming pile of dogcrap was as buggy and unrefined on the PS3 or XBOX, it would never see the light of day.

What I don't understand is why anyone would preorder a game designed for consoles. What happened to the days when an FPS game was actually challenging? You know, the days of Q3 Rocket Arena or a Quake railgun where it actually took skill to win some DM? When I found out that Rage had no FPS multiplayer outside of some lame, consolized driving action, I knew everything I needed to know about this game. iD with no DM mode? Perhaps they will release an overpriced map DM package, that formerly could be built and designed by the gaming community.. You see, when a company like Valve supports PC gamers we revitalize and revolutionize the industry.. Counter Strike, DOD all these mods were a direct result of designing and supporting the users, that collectively can design some of the most amazing content.. By spitting in our faces, iD is hurting themselves more than anyone.

Last edited:
et tu Carmack?

Now I wonder what upcoming games I can feel confident about...

Arkham City, because it is going to be more of what I liked about Arkham Asylum. Yes, it is running Unreal Tech that a lot of people despise but at least it will look pretty good and have some amount of configuration options.

Skyrim, because even though it may be dumbed down more from Oblivion at least the mod community will be there to make it better for us on PC.

John, I'm sorry you are now taking cues from Romero on how to respond to valid anger.

Don't compare iD software to Gabe Newell or the crew at Valve.. Valve supports PC gaming and has actually developed a profitable content delivery system rather than caving in to the console kiddies and forgetting who gave them their first millions.

One day bugs? LMFAO, if this steaming pile of dogcrap was as buggy and unrefined on the PS3 or XBOX, it would never see the light of day.

Can you play through the game start to finish? Yes. You can, just fine. It would have seen the light of day on console.

"Forgetting who gave them their first millions?" ....are you serious? They owe you nothing.

While I understand that many people are having issues, I don't get the 'witch hunt' attitude. For the AMD/ATi owners: This is exactly why I avoid their cards. Too many times in the past have their drivers been horrible, especially in new games.

For the nvidia owners: try adding some cvars to your launch to enhance your graphics.

I guess I'm just lucky because I have zero issues with the game. In fact, I find it quite fun to play.

iD games have always had a console ( ` ), which just happens to be disabled by default, but that shouldn't deter 'real' PC gamers from accessing this portion of the game, let alone adding custom settings to the launch or creating an autoexec.cfg file to properly adjust their settings. Sure, the game is a port from console to PC, but should that stop you from exploring ways to fix this? No. You are a PC gamer, use your skills.

I don't really mind the lack of graphic selections in the menu because I use my brain, a little research, and the console to adjust my settings. (just like in quake, doom, etc.)

Here are my launch cvars:

+cvaradd g_fov 12 +com_allowconsole 1 +com_skipIntroVideo 1 +image_anisotropy 16 +image_usecompression 0 +g_showplayershadow 1 +m_smooth 0

Increases FOV to 87, allows console with ` , skips video intro, sets AF at 16, doesn't use compression, shows player shadow, and removes mouse acceleration.

I have very minor texture popping, so little, in fact, that I have to force it to look even remotely bad.

System, nothing special, really:
Core i3 550 Clarkdale
8 GB GSkill
MSi motherboard. nothing special.
nVidia GTX 570 1280 MB 320-Bit
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 32 MB buffer
32" LG screen

p.s. I think what really hits a nerve is the Witch Hunt going on here, when we're all computer geeks who have always encountered issues with games upon release, only to overcome these issues with feedback, community, and custom settings. Sure, you are validated for being upset, but don't let those emotions overcome your ingenuity.

I can understand peoples complaints about the drivers that "ATI" screwed up on, but to discredit this entire game because you are lacking the correct driver is a disservice to yourself and the PC gaming community as a whole. I myself am not seeing the issues described on my GTX 570.

To think that ID released a game knowing that there would be issues like what is being reported is just plain asinine. Let them get the ATI drivers fixed and then try the game out, you will like what you see.

I can understand peoples complaints about the drivers that "ATI" screwed up on, but to discredit this entire game because you are lacking the correct driver is a disservice to yourself and the PC gaming community as a whole. I myself am not seeing the issues described on my GTX 570.

To think that ID released a game knowing that there would be issues like what is being reported is just plain asinine. Let them get the ATI drivers fixed and then try the game out, you will like what you see.

it is not the drivers it is the sorrow we feel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nszR0tfp4Es
again it id the future of greed that killed our hero

My experiences have had nothing to do with AMD driver issues. I am running NVIDIA in my box and having an asstasstic experience. I cannot get immersed in the gameplay with all the graphical texture washouts and popups continually happening.

I think Valve's views are changing though. Look at Portal 2, it became overly simplified and had weird console shit that ended up on the PC that reminded you that they made it first for console, then for PC.

Still a good game, but compared to portal one, it was worse, the puzzles were simpler and threw console junk at you, so that the game catered more towards the console crowd and was easier for the controller users to deal with.

No way you could do all the multi-flings and stuff with the controller...

They are most certainly still PC oriented, but they are starting to shift themselves.

Back