Rage sucks

Developing video games is a business and are in it to make money. Any good business will tell you that you need to carter to your largest customer base first which are the console players. It makes sense and it's great for business. You spending tons of money on hardware HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SOFTWARE SIDE. id does not make any money off you spend $500 for a video card. If anything it is costing them money to make sure their game is supported on that new video card. It is more cost effective to develop for console since you get a large customer base running on the same hardware. PC gaming will never return to the glory days. It's sad how many poor PC games it is taking you guys to realize this Crysis 2, Duke Nukem, Rage Etc... it's time to pull back the curtains and see the truth or stick to playing WoW...

Yeah, but actually the DX11 + TEXTURE patched Crysis 2 look quite amazing now, not hte best FPS in the world, but still nice imho. But it's indeed an aftertought since it was done after the actual game was released.

I am only a couple hours in. I am hoping that the textures quality is just a bug because some textures are nice (like the guns). Luckily I am not really experiencing texture popping to the degree that it is an issue - I have to purposely try to force it to be noticeable.

My opinion so far is that it is a fun version of borderlands. I am holding off a full opinion of the game until I get through it this weekend or until they announce a patch...

I understood your point but after reading every post of the entire thread, you were just being a squawking parrot of RAGE. :p

I did the same thing and I think my IQ levels dropped. I think every arm-chair developer, self-entitled crybaby, impossible to please pc gamer ended up on this thread. Apparently if you play a lot of video games, you are a credible developer and these dev's need to listen to you due to your experience... playing video games.

With that said, Rage looks fun and I think its worth my $39.99 when i do decide t buy it. Where can I find it for such price? I dont know yet, but when I do. that's when I'm buying it. But if I have to choose between BF3 and Rage then... sorry Rage. Do I feel slighted as a PC gamer by this game? No. Is the PC Gaming world crashing down around me? No.

Will I have to tweak some files to get it the way I like? Yea. have I ever done that before? Yep. Trying to load the grappling hook mod for quake2 was a bitch n a half but man it was worth it when I did figure it out. Am I old school?

Do you blame the hardware/object, or do you blame the developer/publisher?

Difficult to say. I can understand a dev/pub wanting to maximize profits by having a game work on as many hardware models as possible. But would it really take that much more time to tweak a console game to play and experience better on a pc? Even if it meant holding back a pc release until issues are addressed. Some devs clearly are better at making a console port work better on a pc than others. Batman AA immediately comes to mind. Clearly a console game that plays and looks great on a pc as well.

In the fast paced world of computers & technology I think having a console system approaching 5 years is certainly long enough and warrants replacing or risk abandoning by dev/publishers.

If a companies primary goal is to satisfy the customer, then they should take the time to be sure they have a good product on whatever hardware is used.

I'm fully aware of the fact that a developer isnt making money off of me buying hardware, that wasnt the point I was making. And I also fully understand the gaming market is saturated with cheap consoles. What I dont understand is creating a poor port of a console game to the PC Platform. My point was, why even bother releasing a game for the PC if it's going to be inferior to it's console counterpart. Its an insult to people that did spend more money for better hardware. As much as people didnt like Crysis 2, it was better visually than the console counterpart. Same goes for Duke, it wasn't a great game but it looked better than its console counter part (and played better too).

Releasing a cheap console port to PC is exactly that, CHEAP! It takes relatively little effort to port the code. Keep the same low-res graphics, and VOILA!

It might only cost 5 figures to convert a multi-million dollar console game to PC. And recouping those cost are usually done within the first week of release, the rest is "free" money with very little time & effort.

Heck, nvidia even paid to have a hi-rez texture pack for crysis 2 (nevermind the tessellation 'sabotage') cause EA sure wouldn't do it, not worth it.

What I dont understand is creating a poor port of a console game to the PC Platform. My point was, why even bother releasing a game for the PC if it's going to be inferior to it's console counterpart. Its an insult to people that did spend more money for better hardware.

they port it because its' cheap to port and not upgrade anything. Then, they know that ppl will buy the game (my guess, 50-80k buyers will be on pc) so that is easy money for them. Sadly, developers/publishers only care about the bottom line now and i don't think any game AAA game will cater to a specific market. It will always go for the mainstream market.

Difficult to say. I can understand a dev/pub wanting to maximize profits by having a game work on as many hardware models as possible. But would it really take that much more time to tweak a console game to play and experience better on a pc? Even if it meant holding back a pc release until issues are addressed. Some devs clearly are better at making a console port work better on a pc than others. Batman AA immediately comes to mind. Clearly a console game that plays and looks great on a pc as well.

In the fast paced world of computers & technology I think having a console system approaching 5 years is certainly long enough and warrants replacing or risk abandoning by dev/publishers.

If a companies primary goal is to satisfy the customer, then they should take the time to be sure they have a good product on whatever hardware is used.

A console that has been out for five years is much easier to develop for than a new one. Easier development means lower cost which nets a higher gross. You guys can kick, scream and throw tantrums all you want but nothing speaks louder than not giving them your money. How have you guys not learned this by now?

Last edited:
And I love the "Dishonored" title banner on the screen shot..

A console that has been out for five years is much easier to develop for than a new one. Easier development means lower cost which nets a higher gross. You guys can kick, scream and throw tantrums all you want but nothing speaking louder than not giving them your money. How have you guys not learned this by now?

yes we have so please join us in our fight! we would appreciate your support!

I did the same thing and I think my IQ levels dropped. I think every arm-chair developer, self-entitled crybaby, impossible to please pc gamer ended up on this thread. Apparently if you play a lot of video games, you are a credible developer and these dev's need to listen to you due to your experience... playing video games.

With that said, Rage looks fun and I think its worth my $39.99 when i do decide t buy it. Where can I find it for such price? I dont know yet, but when I do. that's when I'm buying it. But if I have to choose between BF3 and Rage then... sorry Rage. Do I feel slighted as a PC gamer by this game? No. Is the PC Gaming world crashing down around me? No.

Will I have to tweak some files to get it the way I like? Yea. have I ever done that before? Yep. Trying to load the grappling hook mod for quake2 was a bitch n a half but man it was worth it when I did figure it out. Am I old school?

I bought it because all of the videos showed fun FPS gameplay. I'm hoping to make best of my $42 investment & if changing config settings helps me get nearer to that goal, I'll go all out with it. I'm now waiting for id to release the super texture pack they've alluded to.

Carmack teased that the studio is looking to release a Super Texture Pack for the PC after the game’s release. The pack will make the already beautiful game prettier with super detailed textures.
Source: http://gamer.blorge.com/2011/08/14/...oom-4-will-use-super-textures-due-to-blu-ray/

Edit: It appears that the PC version is more of a 360 port rather than being similar to the PS3 version... :mad:

Carmack just toasted a glass of champagne celebrating the biggest shaft to pc gamers yet!

CONCLUSION

Avoid gaming title with emotion or references to emotion in the title. (See: Crysis 2, Rage.)

***registers butt[h]urt.com***

Expecting anything amazing from a game developed to run on old-ass console hardware--and not just a game but a corridor FPS game--is for the lulz. Any by lulz I mean :rolleyes:

From some pre-release screenshots comparisons, it looks like the low textures are a bug...

Good job Kyle. No developer should be beyond reproach.

If it wasn't for PC gamers, none of these guys would have the funding or ability to develop these console games.. They would be trying to make a buck programming the latest version of Fruit Ninja or Angry Birds.. Perhaps John Romero had some vision when he went ahead and decided to work for a mobile gaming developer.. Because it seems like we are headed that way - A future with limited PC gaming and influx of mobile device gaming paired with crappy consoles.

Thank goodness for Valve.. As far as I'm concerned iD has been playing catch up since Half Life was released, and had finally stooped down to the level of Daikatana

I sent my refund request to Amazon this morning. Good thing I didn't open it yesterday, I had all day to read about the PC version so I've decided its just not right for me to pay id any of my money for a game that was clearly half-ass developed. There's far more polished games coming out of much smaller independent studios than Rage. Its really sad how far they've fallen over the years, I wasn't too happy with Doom 3 but I thought Rage would bring them id back to the forefront of top developers. The PC version of this game should drop in price very rapidly based on the negative media attention. I expect to see the PC version of this game at $20-25 near Christmas.

From some pre-release screenshots comparisons, it looks like the low textures are a bug...

Doesn't look like the majority of those textures have loaded in properly yet =/

Yes and Yes. AMD has released two drivers for Rage which pretty much fix the texture pop-in issues according to a hardocp.com front page release and nVidia released 1 but was better to start with. Even hardOCP's Mark said so:

Well it's a vast improvement. The flickering and smeared polygons are gone, and texture pop-in is significantly reduced.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU121AMDCatRagePerfDriver.aspx

The things people were complaining about, after driver releases from both companies respectively are now pretty much gone. Sadly, the bad taste will remain in people's mouths and the complaining about this game has become legendary enough to probably prevent some sales.

It seems pretty dramatic to start a letter writing/petition/campaign to ask for your money back because you had to wait 24-hours for ATI to release a driver and a later second revision before the game worked properly. Honestly, ATI/nVidia should probably have had this driver out BEFORE the games release if they were given a pre-release copy, etc for optimization.

My guess is they were too overly concerned with race for the best BF3 Beta Performance Drivers b/c they wanted their video cards to generate the most BF3 sales. So concerned, they gave Rage customers the shaft. I'd personally point my glaring eyes at my video card manufacturer slightly if a driver can make massive texture pop-ins be "significantly reduced"

Yes and Yes. AMD has released two drivers for Rage which pretty much fix the texture pop-in issues according to a hardocp.com front page release and nVidia released 1 but was better to start with. Even hardOCP's Mark said so:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU121AMDCatRagePerfDriver.aspx

The things people were complaining about, after driver releases from both companies respectively are now pretty much gone. Sadly, the bad taste will remain in people's mouths and the complaining about this game has become legendary enough to probably prevent some sales.

It seems pretty dramatic to start a letter writing/petition/campaign to ask for your money back because you had to wait 24-hours for ATI to release a driver and a later second revision before the game worked properly. Honestly, ATI/nVidia should probably have had this driver out BEFORE the games release if they were given a pre-release copy, etc for optimization.

My guess is they were too overly concerned with race for the best BF3 Beta Performance Drivers b/c they wanted their video cards to generate the most BF3 sales. So concerned, they gave Rage customers the shaft. I'd personally point my glaring eyes at my video card manufacturer slightly if a driver can make massive texture pop-ins be "significantly reduced"
It goes beyond the drivers!

I sent my request in for a refund. The farther I get into the game, the worse off it becomes. :(

My texture pop-in is still there despite AMD Driver hotfix.

I thought I was fine. I followed the link and submitted one to Steam and Bethesda. In addition, I chuckled at the top of HardOCP today:

My name is Kyle, and I was stupid enough to buy Rage. (Hi Kyle!)

Here's what my email read:

I have purchased RAGE for the PC and the lack of quality, and severe amount of texture streaming and popping is entirely distracting to gameplay. It is one thing for graphics to be low quality, it is another when it completely takes away from the actual gameplay on the PC. I will not be playing this game, and wish to ask for a full refund.

Thank You,

Brent Justice
Managing Editor
Video Cards
HardOCP.com

Saw this coming a mile away.

Even with the fancy textures, the game (and engine) just don't look that good.

Has ID even made an official announcement addressing the asstastic PC performance of their "flagship" product?

There were people here late yesterday quoting a Twitter from one of the developers. I can't remember who. Might have even been Carmack but I won't swear by it.

Bottom line: They'd have to be on Mars to not know. It's in the press. It's everywhere.

Nothing "official" yet, though.

There were people here late yesterday quoting a Twitter from one of the developers. I can't remember who. Might have even been Carmack but I won't swear by it.

Bottom line: They'd have to be on Mars to not know. It's in the press. It's everywhere.

Nothing "official" yet, though.

Well, Carmack was building rockets, perhaps a trip to Mars was not out of the question? :p

Damn shame id Software isn't a public company, offering shares. I'd buy shares in the company, just to sell at a lower price, to drive the price down, to show my disgust at this piece of shovel-ware crap game. Never again John, never again!

I played about 40 minutes last night and without a doubt the game is uninspired, blurry, and just not fun.
I'm running the AMD hotfix drivers and even though the popin issue is mostly cleared up it doesn't do anything for the craptastic low rez textures. I'm going to ask for my money back as well.

I was simply quoting the picture (notice the quotes around what I wrote -- that is a clue), stop being a technicality Nazi. :rolleyes:

Funny how you take it personally, when it wasn't directed at you at all. Give us a hug.

Kyle has a great rep with the business! Kyle gets the job done. Some of you wont remember his efforts and some of us WILL NEVER FORGET!

Back