RAGE from Carmack...

maxius

2[H]4U
this guy just literally hit the "i will never buy a another game that he has anything to do with" button.

"We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games,"
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/id-does-not-see-pc-as-leading-platform-for-games/

i would like to have the drugs carmack is on it has to be some strong stuff, since here we have one of the pioneers of pc gaming and he just literally took a crap on all of our chests.

i now disavow the carmack since we have dice putting out battlefield 3 that was designed on the pc 1st and then back ported more companies should make games in this fashion period.

Definately like 2 threads or so on this exact topic, let alone all the RAGE threads are filled with it. Anyhow, I've long since left bothering with that company *shrug*

Carmack is just another corporate tool chasing the profits at this point. Nothing to see here.

I haven't checked the link as our work firewall is blocking it. So if it seems I'm missing the point so to speak, I'll check the link later.

Anyways, I hate seeing pc gaming get the shaft just as much as the next guy here. But before we all foam at the mouth with rage, we should ask ourselves, what we do if we were in charge of gaming studio?

Now Carmack, nor Id software are likely in any situation to go bankrupt. But the industry is very volatile. Once a game starts losing popularity, take Guitar Hero for example, the game studio sometimes ends up disappearing with it.

Now if you were the head of a gaming studio. And lets say that your job as well as all the employees who work under you depend on the success of your next blockbuster game. What decisions would you make for your next game? Would it be a PC exclusive for the niche market of enthusiast pc gamers?

iD is a wholly owned subsidiary of Zenimax, it stays open or closes at their whim, not Carmacks. What platform iD codes for, is again, not Carmacks decision, it's Zenimax's. In other words, what Carmack says about the companies direction means jack unless it is something Zenimax told him to tell the press.
As one of the fathers of the modern FPS, he did many great things for PC gaming. Unfortunately, that guy has left the building, and the new Carmack that has replaced him has little to offer the PC gamer these days.

Carmack is just another corporate tool chasing the profits at this point. Nothing to see here.

Exactly. Watch in a couple of years, he'll be saying "We do not see the consoles as a leading platform for games" and will focus his efforts solely on smartphone/tablet games. He will go wherever the money is, no loyalties. :rolleyes:

Cevat Yerli and Cliff Blezinski and others like them will also be saying the same thing, pissing on consoles and praising smartphones and tablets to no end.

Id should go indie and do greater games with less production values

This is reality. The pc hasn't been the leading development platform for years. Why are more people just now starting to bristle and bleat about this?

And id should just go indie? That made me smile.

Id should go indie and do greater games with less production values

They can't go indie even if, on some insanely small chance, they might want to. They belong to Zenimax, the same way DICE belongs to EA.

"We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games," Carmack added. "That statement will enrage some people, but it is hard to characterize it otherwise; both console versions will have larger audiences than the PC version. A high end PC is nearly 10 times as powerful as a console, and we could unquestionably provide a better experience if we chose that as our design point and we were able to expend the same amount of resources on it. Nowadays most of the quality of a game comes from the development effort put into it, not the technology it runs on. A game built with a tenth the resources on a platform 10 times as powerful would be an inferior product in almost all cases."

What he said is pretty reasonable.

Carmack is delusional. His lust for wealth and fame has given him weak resolve.

Well if we all believe what he says, there is no reason to come out with new processors or graphics cards, consoles, or new computer tech ever again, we can just recycle old engines for forever....right?

Where the hell does he think the Technology running those consoles comes from?

You gotta hand it to him though, he is a pure neo businessman, build up a strong community to support you then find your cash cow and sell the fuck out.

Last edited:
This is reality. The pc hasn't been the leading development platform for years. Why are more people just now starting to bristle and bleat about this?

And id should just go indie? That made me smile.

Its just a matter of choice, anyone is free to make PC the leading platform in developing their game. Hell even games like Hard Reset is developed on PC platform first and so far that's the only platform. Nobody died making a game that focused on PC platform.

The big gaming company just don't want to see their console counterpart gets overshadowed by the PC version. Like Battlefield 3. Have you heard all the console fanboy's whining about PC platform getting better stuff?

I think the poster meant id should free themself of the control of those large publishing companies who's aim is not to make great games, but games that are dumb down enough to cater to the masses.

Its sad that all gaming developers these days have abandoned the PC community and sold out to consoles, because apparently the console market is a cash cow. Why can't they just develop it for PC first and then port it to consoles, not the other way around? Shameful.

I don't really understand what all the noise is about. Why do we even care what he has to say anymore regarding the PC gaming industry? How long has it been since iD or Carmack were really all that relevant to the PC gaming industry? A decade maybe? (Let's be real for a minute here, outside of Q2/Q3, the best iD games were all DOS games.)
iD is no longer a leading developer of PC games. They have not been for a while now. The Germans and Western European devs seem to be replacing the likes of iD anyway.

I've cursed the name Carmack for a couple years now because he did quit being innovative on PC. That and after becoming a console fanboy developer he decides to spit on PC gaming. I gathered this from his interview comments from various website articles.

In one interview he said something along the lines of one day walking into a room where his kid was playing a console game. He played some and that's when he decided to focus on console first. I recall interviews where he said he made his developers use game pads when developing/testing Rage. Now we are seeing the fallout of that decision.

Like others have said. Its time to move along. Carmack is now a biased console fanboy. He is no longer relevant to PC gaming.

Its sad that all gaming developers these days have abandoned the PC community and sold out to consoles, because apparently the console market is a cash cow. Why can't they just develop it for PC first and then port it to consoles, not the other way around? Shameful.

Mostly they were just bought out by publishers. Once that happens, a dev house typically ends up going console because many publishers are console centric. Publishers want control, consoles is one way to get it.

PC is certainly not anywhere as profitable as consoles. Therefor the statement is correct.

Carmack still sucking donkey dong...check

situation normal

PC gamers, always so worried about price but when it comes to game developers making enough money to sustain themselves, well they think game developers should be charity organizations.

Lots of free charitable games on Linux. Go play those if you want to see what a budget of zero can create.

Its almost as if these companies are trying to turn the highest profit possible or something. Madness.

Carmack used to be the PC God back in his early days but these days I don't think he has much relevance in PC gaming. Therefore I don't care nor listen too much about what he has to say. His time sort of has come and gone now. Sad really.

Always amuses me when people don't understand why companies want to make money.

this guy just literally hit the "i will never buy a another game that he has anything to do with" button.

"We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games,"
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/id-does-not-see-pc-as-leading-platform-for-games/

He just said out loud what virtually everyone in the industry thinks. The only difference is that he was fairly blunt about it, while others would not publicly say it because it's bad PR. If you really did follow through and not buy games which were developed with consoles as the lead platform, you'd almost exclusively be buying no budget indie games. And then what would you have to bitch about on forums?

Now we are seeing the fallout of that decision.
Yeah, a few folks ona high-end forum are bitching about it... doesn't that happen with pretty much every game?

The game met their initial design goals, got decent reviews, and most people like it. I too thinks it sucks they didn't do it PC exclusive with better texture resolution and gameplay (although, for me it's still kinda fun, just not great) but the fact is RAGE is only a failure to a small percentage of people. Sure, they could've done more to please everyone, but I doubt anyone here would know how difficult that is to do, especially when carmack or id isn't calling all the shots.

As long as NVIDIA and ATI (AMD) keep making high end video cards, I think there is no reason to worry about PC platform. Look at it this way PC is for the most 1337 gamers out there. :) I don't think I would like the whole PC scene as much as I do if PC were main stream. Plus PC has not been main stream since PS1 days imo.

I don't really understand what all the noise is about. Why do we even care what he has to say anymore regarding the PC gaming industry? How long has it been since iD or Carmack were really all that relevant to the PC gaming industry? A decade maybe? (Let's be real for a minute here, outside of Q2/Q3, the best iD games were all DOS games.)
iD is no longer a leading developer of PC games. They have not been for a while now. The Germans and Western European devs seem to be replacing the likes of iD anyway.

Aren't id relevant from an engine design perspective? And even if they have lost some prominence for the UT3 engine, idtech 5 seems poised to potentially be very popular for licensing.

Also, isn't the whole COD series still running on the Q3A engine??

Consoles have had a larger marketshare than PCs for a very long time. But it only seems in this console generation (2005-onwards) that former PC devs are really pissing on the PC and running into the arms of consoles as they claim where all the money is. What exactly gives here? Is it Bittorrent that may have greatly increased piracy on the PC in the last half-decade, or something else?

Why didn't these industry honchos like Carmack/Yerli/Blezinski, etc. crap all over the PC during the PS1/PS2 days?

:rolleyes:

There are plenty of other game developers that think the PC platform is important and continue to develop quality PC games. If Carmack wants to pledge his allegiance to consoles, that's up to him. But don't expect everyone to support him by buying his games.

And you need to understand that there are different ways to go about doing that

JC could have stood out, made a great engine and reclaim his fame as a game programmer but instead, he decided to make id just another developer.

The console is limited, there's no room for you to do anything special on it, everything is the same, RAGE is just another typical game. If you can make something that stands out on a powerful platform like PC, you can make money that way too. Why be typical?

Back