Rage 2

Played it for about an hour last night. You guys were right in that this is literally Mad Max in first person. Not that that is a bad thing. I found myself wandering around the entire time discovering things instead of moving the main story along. But I also have to say I like the aesthetic of the first game a lot more than this. The first game had that dull, gritty feel that is perfect for a world that just experienced a global cataclysm a century earlier. This game with its bright pastels going for the Borderlands aesthetic ruins that feel for me. All the characters introduced so far also don't have any diversity in personality whatsoever. My gripes with the aesthetic aside, the gameplay is a lot of fun. The guns feel really tight like one would expect from a Call of Duty or Titanfall title. And though the driving is not as good as Mad Max, I think it feels appropriate in this world. Then again I still have only driven two vehicles so far, so we'll see how the others feel as they are unlocked.

More or less where I'm at.

When I went in to my first bandit layer to clear it out the "first person Max Max" was beyond denying. That's mostly what this game is with a few odds and ends past that as several of us have indicated.

you're a big fan of iD Software so it's understandable that you went all in with the Deluxe edition...although this is more of an Avalanche Studios game...and honestly Avalanche has been riding their good rep built on JC2 for awhile despite disappointing with basically all their releases since...

I don’t disagree with any of the above really. That just marked the moment that I stopped thinking about it and did it. It just looks like fun (the actual game portions anyway.)

Looks like Bethesda is poking fun at Walmart Canada for their leak of the game on their store. Games were actually shipped like this with the additional sleeve to people :ROFLMAO:.
upload_2019-5-16_11-19-23.png

Nice to occasionally see a big company with a sense of humor. (even though I'm sure there was some real backlash behind the scenes) :D

Anyone else have bad experience with the Bethesda launcher? I had purchased RAGE 2 from CD keys that activates on the Bethesda site. I had paused the download last night and today it started downloading the game FROM THE VERY BEGINNING. We have a data cap every month and not very fast internet so I sure as hell did not enjoy having to start that 33 GB download over. :mad:

Anyone else have bad experience with the Bethesda launcher? I had purchased RAGE 2 from CD keys that activates on the Bethesda site. I had paused the download last night and today it started downloading the game FROM THE VERY BEGINNING. We have a data cap every month and not very fast internet so I sure as hell did not enjoy having to start that 33 GB download over. :mad:

Some kind of checksum/resume functionality seems like a pretty big omission. That sucks, sorry to hear it!

Are you sure it dowloaded everything again? Some launchers do a data check that looks like it's downloading but will only download what is missing. I know the ESO launcher does this.

Are you sure it dowloaded everything again? Some launchers do a data check that looks like it's downloading but will only download what is missing. I know the ESO launcher does this.
yes it started the download over from the very beginning

I had to download it twice as well.

The download was only 20-some GB on Steam. I guess they don't compress the files on Bethesda's launcher.

I think the reviewer who said this game was Garbage is suffering from Nausea I'm kinda getting it from this game and on a big monitor it could be really bad.

Screenshot_2019-05-16_14_48_41.png

Got Nausea?

I've been playing with motion blur and my FOV set to 106. No issues with nausea whatsoever.

On another note, the patch released today removed Denuvo from the Steam version. Game loads a bit faster now.

Just started playing it this evening, but I wrapped up my play through of the original Rage last week.

Clearly, the graphics of Rage 2 are much better (even with Rage's updated 16K textures at 4K) but if I didn't know better, there's no way I would have thought this was a sequel.

To me, it looks and plays like some Sci-Fi shooter like "Prey" instead of a follow-up to the original, gritty Rage.

That notwithstanding, I have been enjoying it even though it clearly feels like a reboot instead of a continuation.

Here's hoping Doom Eternal stays true to the id formula that made the 2016 game so successful.

Put about 6hrs into it last night. It's not as good as I was hoping for, but better than Rage 1.
New Dawn looks better IMO, and plays better. 45-50fps avg. on high preset with motion blur disabled. Had to turn the auto-centering off on the vehicle camera because it was fucking with my eyes.
I explored for a little bit, then went and hit 2 ARCS. Got Shatter and Vortex so far. Shatter is my go-to for crushing mutants instead of melee.

No crashes, and the only bug I've had so far was in the sewers killing Lugnut. For some reason, only 4 out of 6 Supply crates spawned. So I ran back through it again and they spawned side by side in the room where you have to hit the button to exit the level.

I'll report back after I put some more time into it. I really hope it gets better, I was expecting it to be fun like Mad Max....

I just re-installed Mad Max instead of buying this.

The combat in Rage 2 looks really good. The issue is that everything else seems pretty sub-par. This is a sub $30 game for me.

I only had two problems with Rage 1. The texture loading on the edges of the screen and the abrupt ending. I definitely remember getting to the last area and thinking that the game was just opening up, only to be very surprised that all of a sudden the game ended. I did love the combat especially all the ammo types for guns. The explosive rounds in that double barrel shotgun was my favorite.

$35 bucks for Rage 2 on cdkeys right now with the DLC, I went ahead and pulled the trigger and it is currently installing. First game I own on the Bethesda launcher. Sounds like the tone and aesthetics are quite different than Rage 1 from reading all these posts but I'm expecting to enjoy this game.

I doubt I can justify buying Doom Eternal on the Bethesda launcher since I'll want to have my Steam friends list for some co-op action.

This sounds dumb but I feel like it takes me a bit longer than it should to find some of these storage containers. Kind of ridiculous. Going to follow Polygons' and other guides to streamline this. Off to do Ground Control quest ASAP.

This sounds dumb but I feel like it takes me a bit longer than it should to find some of these storage containers. Kind of ridiculous. Going to follow Polygons' and other guides to streamline this. Off to do Ground Control quest ASAP.

I agree. Took me a good 20min to find all the storage containers in Doomsayer Peak last night. I keep wishing I had a headlamp or something since a lot of the interiors are dark af and the storage containers don't stand out at all besides having a purple top. I'm a 100%'er, so I gots to get 'em.

I agree. Took me a good 20min to find all the storage containers in Doomsayer Peak last night. I keep wishing I had a headlamp or something since a lot of the interiors are dark af and the storage containers don't stand out at all besides having a purple top. I'm a 100%'er, so I gots to get 'em.

The guides are right: Get the Ground Control quest off the ground and done ASAP. Priority one. Then you can unlock abilities under projects that make life a lot easier for 100 percenter types. ;)

For anyone that has finished the game how long has it taken if you do most of the good side quests? I'd been reading around 12 hours if you rush it, maybe 20 if you do most of everything from reviewers. But checking the How Long to Beat Website (which tends to be accurate for me) it seems like users are finishing the main game + extras in around 13 hours. Wondering what I should expect. 13 hours seems short for a supposed open world game.

For anyone that has finished the game how long has it taken if you do most of the good side quests? I'd been reading around 12 hours if you rush it, maybe 20 if you do most of everything from reviewers. But checking the How Long to Beat Website (which tends to be accurate for me) it seems like users are finishing the main game + extras in around 13 hours. Wondering what I should expect. 13 hours seems short for a supposed open world game.

I guess you could do that. I'm at about 8 hours or so and south of 30 percent total completion.

I should note that's according to Steam's timer on the page which I'm convinced runs faster than normal per their refund time window (conveniently) so it wouldn't surprise me if my play figure is really closer to 5-6 hours.

Besides getting Ground Control done ASAP I also recommend everyone go out of their way to make all five towns available for fast travel. The criticism on this is correct: A lot of the towns are bunched close to the center of the map so you will still be doing lots of driving, but this does help.

Last edited:
Really disappointed in this as it's nothing like the original Rage or Mad Max. Granted, the graphics are top-notch, but I hate all the tutorials forced on you and stupid projects you have to complete. I miss the old FPS where you could just jump in and play the whole game without any hand-holding or having to build all kinds of crap.

Here's praying Doom Eternal and Wolfenstein Youngblood are better!

The game is OK. Thankfully, the actual gunplay and 'feel' seems to have the id software treatment. The gameplay loop itself though isn't that great. IMO the game is worse than Mad Max in almost every way besides the FPS mechanics feeling solid.

How "twitchy" is Rage 2? I'm actually in the mood for something a little more fast paced and chaotic.

How "twitchy" is Rage 2? I'm actually in the mood for something a little more fast paced and chaotic.

You can definitely get into "twitchy" and intense circumstances at least by my experience.

Thinking of building a system just for this game and Doom Eternal.

It's there, the issue is the pacing. When you actually have stuff going on it's fun. The issue is the extent of downtime, and honestly it makes you want to just go back and play through DOOM.

This game needs to be played on at least hard. Normal is way too easy and I've sucked at video games for at least these past 5 years.

I feel like I recognize the voice actress for Failsafe from Destiny 2 as the computer voice when you get one of nano abilities unlocked.

I also am fairly certain the voice of Claptrap from Borderlands is a voice of at least one of the enemies.

Back