Radeon HD 4890 (RV790) & HD 4770 (RV740) Launch On Apr 6th

i think 850mhz and 900mhz core clocks will really do wonders for these chips. you guys remember what the 2900XT could do with a 1.1ghz core clock, right?
I was under the impression that overclocking the 4800's made very little improvement, at least when compared to GT200 overclocking. Especially now with Nvidia releasing their 55nm parts, people can take the GTX285 a lot higher.

I was under the impression that overclocking the 4800's made very little improvement, at least when compared to GT200 overclocking. Especially now with Nvidia releasing their 55nm parts, people can take the GTX285 a lot higher.

hmm.... i think it did make little improvements compared to stock, until you hit a certain speed. however we ahrdly see that because most 4870's won't clock anywhere near 800-825mhz...

Hopefully the 4890 will stand up against the 285 GTX, would be interesting, hopefully that clock increase will get it there. But it would have been wiser if ATI used the 40nm instead of 55nm and those rumours about having more shaders turned out to be false which was disappointing.

Well, I think ATI just had to test RV740 as mainstream card first to see if 40nm chip is good before try to putting 40nm on high-end one.

I wish ATI would do a 4870x2 at 40nm. It would help out so much with heat and power. I would be all over that and sell my current x2 asap.

i am disappointed by the .55nm fabrication, i can only hope they shift to .40nm rapidly after.

I dont have high hopes for this refresh, but maybe ATi can suprise me.
I mean we all got suprised by the 4xx0 series.

yeah i was under the impression they were going 40nm for all their new parts...

but whatever. more new cards will drive the prices of old cards down

i think 850mhz and 900mhz core clocks will really do wonders for these chips. you guys remember what the 2900XT could do with a 1.1ghz core clock, right?

http://www.nordichardware.com/Reviews/?skrivelse=510

930mhz on the core with that card. theres no benchmarks with OC's there, but I remember seeing on OCN that with a 900mhz+ clock, the card would actually rip up crysis when compared to an 8800GTX...

since the RV790 is based on that card, plus the "free AA/AF" in the newer architecture....

guys this could be big :D :D :D

Sorry but how will the newer architecture give free AA/AF?

I've been out of the video cards market for a good 3 or so years and I'm looking to upgrade from my X1950pro to this newer or upcoming generation. With that said, what makes this magical HD4890 so special, aside from a small bump in speed? Any word as to when the HD5xxx series will be coming out?

I've been out of the video cards market for a good 3 or so years and I'm looking to upgrade from my X1950pro to this newer or upcoming generation. With that said, what makes this magical HD4890 so special, aside from a small bump in speed? Any word as to when the HD5xxx series will be coming out?

5xxx prolly not till at least Q3 of this year, basically the border of 2010...

the 4800 series cards are known to manage AA and AF very efficiantly, sometimes to the point where turning it on results in minimal to no framerate loss.

thus, free AA

CeBIT 2009: An entirely new chip
We learned some bits and pieces on ATI's upcoming RV790 chip and we can now happily confirm that his is yet another 55nm chip from ATI.
The company didn’t want to postpone the introduction of the new card in performance segment and therefore did it in 55nm, while RV740 remains the first 40nm. RV740 just launched as a mobile chip, and we’ve seen it up and running, while the desktop part should arrive in the next month or two.
The new chip is a new architecture, but with some basic concepts taken from the RV770, that is why the chip will be significantly faster than anything based on the RV770. It is not just a speed bump and a better batch of RV770 based Radeon HD 4870 and 4850 chips, it is a newer and better chip.
It looks like this new chip will beat the GTX 260, and it could even get close to GTX285, but at a much more affordable price.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12439&Itemid=1

The new chip is a new architecture, but with some basic concepts taken from the RV770, that is why the chip will be significantly faster than anything based on the RV770. It is not just a speed bump and a better batch of RV770 based Radeon HD 4870 and 4850 chips, it is a newer and better chip.
It looks like this new chip will beat the GTX 260, and it could even get close to GTX285, but at a much more affordable price.
[/URL]

Sounds exciting.
They say its significantly faster than RV770 but 'could even get close' to GTX280?:confused:

That;s odd, there are already scenarios in which the HD 4870 1GB can get very close and sometimes outperform the GTX 280.

As far as anyone can tell so far, nothing... The 49xx series looks to be a small refresh on the 48xx series, the speed bump might give 'em a bit more of an edge than some of us would suspect but even if it does it's not gonna be huge by any means. I mean even pricing will be virtually the same as it was for the 48xx series 2-3 months ago.

Sounds exciting.
They say its significantly faster than RV770 but 'could even get close' to GTX280?:confused:

That whole news blurb is entirely contradictory, doesn't make any sense. There's been no signs that it's an entirely new architecture, even the naming scheme doesn't suggest so, and the performance improvements they suggest fall in line with that.

here's my guess: "entirely new architecture" means they replaced the somewhat useless sideport with more shader clusters.

This is really going to dig at Nvidia's lineup.

Also I'm surprised some of you guys bought your cards just in the past few weeks since the rumors have been flying that these bad boys were coming out soon. :/

i bought a 8800gts 640 for $340, and the next week the 8800gt came out :D :p. man i felt stupid, still do :(

or maybe like last time the GPU properties are not properly identified....................... ;)

not saying you are wrong, just that there is still uncertainty.

What did that post say, it has been deleted?
Basicly what clock and SP the card will have, TDP and what type and number of 8/6-pin of PCI-powerconnector it has. All come from PR-slide and the sticker on card itself.
But this is more or less in some way confirmed by the rumor of a GTX275, aka GTX260SuperOC edition who will come out around the same time to beat down 4890 that are in the same thead.
But who knows, they might try to pull your leg once again.

Well we have just as much accuracy on the RV790 as we did on the RV770 chips

Only issue is that the R770 chips don't really clock well past 800mhz, thats why we never saw many insanly overclocked parts.

I'm running 850Mhz on my GPU and 1100 on ram...with stock voltages on a 4870

hmm.... i think it did make little improvements compared to stock, until you hit a certain speed. however we ahrdly see that because most 4870's won't clock anywhere near 800-825mhz...

Well, I must be abnormally fortunate then since mine does 800/1000 conservatively with the fan at 20% (lowest setting).

Back