Radeon HD 4890 (RV790) & HD 4770 (RV740) Launch On Apr 6th

crackbone

Gawd
http://vr-zone.com/articles/radeon-hd-4890-rv790--hd-4770-rv740-launch-on-apr-6th/6664.html?doc=6664

April 6th is gonna be a big day for AMD as they are going to launch a slew of new cards. As we have told you back in February, Radeon HD 4890 (RV790) is slated for April release and the confirmed date is now 6th of April. Interestingly, we also heard RV740 is pulled in from May to early April release so AMD will probably launch the new cards on the same day.

Radeon HD 4890 (RV790) is still 55nm based and is basically a higher clocked version of RV770. The RV790 card comes with 10 layers PCB and is 9.5" long with a new dual slot cooler. We told you previously, there are 2 versions; standard and OC edition. The OC edition will come later in April. The price for standard 512MB edition is US$199 while the price for 1GB OC edition is US$299.

Radeon HD 4750 and 4770 is 40nm based and we already have seen a preview of it. Price of HD 4750 is expected to be around US$99 while HD 4770 is priced at around US$119. Apparently, the yield is so good that AMD decided to pull in from May to early April release to give GeForce GTS 240 and 9600 GT a run for its money.

I really hope they don't have any 512MiB versions for the rv790 series. For $199 and up they should all be 1GiB or more.

Sadly, I just picked up a 4870 512mb about 2 weeks ago as well.

Looks like people with overclockable 4870s won't be missing much.

It's good to see AMD being ahead of schedule for once. They need to release new cards to bring down the price of the 4870x2, I want my tri-fire.

What's new in these or are they just faster 10.1 parts?

Still for $199, that's killer pricing.

Tim

As far as all the information has indicated these are just clock speed jumps. The only other changes seem to be a die shrink that is starting with their mainstream products...which is pretty typical.

Supposedly the 4890 is going to compete directly with the GTX 285. I can understand 300 bucks in that case. Hopefully it's one huge overclock.

I'm still confused about the OC edition. I'm heard reports of the clock being inbetween 850MHz and 950MHz. Now is the standard going to be a 950MHz with 512MB, and the OC edition going to be 1GB with a even more isane overclock? :S

I'm still confused about the OC edition. I'm heard reports of the clock being inbetween 850MHz and 950MHz. Now is the standard going to be a 950MHz with 512MB, and the OC edition going to be 1GB with a even more isane overclock? :S

I've heard that clock speeds for the refresh part is supposed to be in the 850MHz range, but I don't think anyone has hard data on the clocks just yet.

Their new AM3 processors are also supposed to hit in April, I now dub April "AMDpril."

This is really going to dig at Nvidia's lineup.

Also I'm surprised some of you guys bought your cards just in the past few weeks since the rumors have been flying that these bad boys were coming out soon. :/

ugh ATI needs to get on the bigger framebuffer train already. $100 more for 512 extra? :rolleyes:

Clocked faster isn't really a big deal. I'd rather buy an existing 4870 and overclock it. :)

it'll probably have a revised cooler i'm sure. ATI should go back to the 3 heatpipe coolers they had for the 2900XT cards.

Clocked faster isn't really a big deal. I'd rather buy an existing 4870 and overclock it. :)

Only issue is that the R770 chips don't really clock well past 800mhz, thats why we never saw many insanly overclocked parts.

so wait, maybe this will be the magical core to hit 1ghz, like the 2900XT's did on phase cooling!!!! :D

Can you say MONSTER PERFORMANCE?! :D

ugh ATI needs to get on the bigger framebuffer train already. $100 more for 512 extra? :rolleyes:

This is still rumors. I've seen these going as low as 250. With the recent price cuts, I bet it will be right around there.

I really hope they don't have any 512MiB versions for the rv790 series. For $199 and up they should all be 1GiB or more.

Why, with GDDR5 ATi already showed that 512mb was more then enough for upto 1920 x resolutions and i am sure most people probably run 1680 or lower, thus it would probably be a waste for the larger share of ATI customers, this way they can also keep the price down :)

The price for standard 512MB edition is US$199 while the price for 1GB OC edition is US$299.
Hmm. I was hoping for a little more aggresive pricing than that...I mean the 4870 512 is gonna go $149 soon, which means the 4870 1GB will settle somewhere around $170-180 I'm guessing.
Kinda makes no sense to pay more and get a 512MB card(4890).

And you have to pay $100 more for a 1Gb version? :rolleyes:
GTX 280s are as low as $320 now. If they want to steal GTX280 buyers I say price it a bit lower than $300.
Still exciting to see more options on the highend.

OK ok ok ok 0k...

For a single-GPU card, ATI shouldn't be charging $300 when the GTX 285 is in that territory.

Didn't the 4870 512mb get a price cut to $150? That's good.

The 4870 1GB will be floating around under $200, and so should the 4890 512mb in that case.

The 4890 1GB should then be at or just a tad above $200... say... $220-$230. The OC version should be $250 max, and it should come with a better cooler.

For $300 we better be getting a NICE aftermarket heatsink, and 925mhz core clock with some better binned GDDR5.

For a single-GPU card, ATI shouldn't be charging $300 when the GTX 285 is in that territory.
If it performs the same (or better) than the 285, then sure, they can charge $300 for it.
But I don't think anyone knows the performance of the card yet.

Exactly, at the end of the day people will STILL buy it.

I wonder what NVIDIA will release to respond, or if they have any plans at all...you know how gooky they are lately.

GTX 285s rock :D

How many layers are 4870 PCB? and how long are those?

I believe they're 9.5" as well, vs 10 or 10.5" for the GTX 260, I forget. I know the latter won't fit in my case and the 4870 will (just so).

4890 512MB vs 4870 1GB sounds like a wash to me if they're both gonna be at the same pricepoint. Those running 24"+ displays proably benefit more from the larger frame buffer... As well as those wanting to future proof their investment to an extent. Are they just gonna phase out the 4870s or what? (a la GTX 260 - 216, but with the 49xx name change so people can actually figure out what's going on)

I hope the new cooler includes a new fan that doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner.

Is it so fucking hard for ATI and Nvidia to design a quiet fan???

Why, with GDDR5 ATi already showed that 512mb was more then enough for upto 1920 x resolutions and i am sure most people probably run 1680 or lower, thus it would probably be a waste for the larger share of ATI customers, this way they can also keep the price down :)

Uh? GDDR5 in a 512 MB VRAM card does nothing to improve performance, if the application requires more than 512 MB...You are confusing bandwidth with video ram usage, which are two entirely different things.

It's not very noisy out of the box AFAIK, in fact the biggest complaint with the 4xxx series has been that ATI set the fan speed too conservatively... Did you get a non-reference design? Can always slow it down either way.

I can't wait for all the people that are going to be refreshing the front page of [H] on April 6th @ 12:00 AM waiting for the review to come out. It should be interesting in my opinion. I'm hoping for another grand slam by ATI.

It just doesn't look like a major refresh at all (and it's clearly a refresh to begin with), I dunno what the hooplah's about. Guess we'll see, maybe they're outfitting all their cards with GDDR5 and ramping clocks way way up, who knows... But if they're still 55nm-based parts, I don't see how.

BTW, I think some people got it mixed up... I know I did the first time I read it, the news blurb on the first post says the 1GB OC edition will be $299... So the standard 1GB 4890 will probably be at $250 in between that and the 512MB, which is what the 4870's had settled at before they started falling in price recently w/MIR's and discounts. So pricing's pretty similar still...

It just doesn't look like a major refresh at all (and it's clearly a refresh to begin with), I dunno what the hooplah's about. Guess we'll see, maybe they're outfitting all their cards with GDDR5 and ramping clocks way way up, who knows... But if they're still 55nm-based parts, I don't see how.

BTW, I think some people got it mixed up... I know I did the first time I read it, the news blurb on the first post says the 1GB OC edition will be $299... So the standard 1GB 4890 will probably be at $250 in between that and the 512MB, which is what the 4870's had settled at before they started falling in price recently w/MIR's and discounts. So pricing's pretty similar still...

QFT.

i think 850mhz and 900mhz core clocks will really do wonders for these chips. you guys remember what the 2900XT could do with a 1.1ghz core clock, right?

http://www.nordichardware.com/Reviews/?skrivelse=510

930mhz on the core with that card. theres no benchmarks with OC's there, but I remember seeing on OCN that with a 900mhz+ clock, the card would actually rip up crysis when compared to an 8800GTX...

since the RV790 is based on that card, plus the "free AA/AF" in the newer architecture....

guys this could be big :D :D :D

Back