R9 pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just price gauging started by the bitcointards. Just buy Nvidia, that'll teach them about economics and free-markets.

You are misplacing blame first of bit coin miners don't give a sit about GPU mining as that only generates .000000001 of a bit coin now in a pool and would take 30 years to find a block they have moved on to asic circuits. Scrypt is GPU mining and asic are coming for that too. But are not nearly as bad for the miners as it was for bit coin.

Now this whole thing is supply and demand demand is really high supply is limited price goes up. Incidentally another cpu to watch go up in price the new a10-7850k does about 130kh/s 29 CPU 103 on the igpu amd demoed 83kh/s a r9 270x does 450ish so my new rig hits about 600kh for about 350w
That equates to about 8 dollars a day on it uses about 30 cents in electricity.

The PC market just made 700 off my purchases bumping up PC sales causing investors to look favorably on and Asus gigabyte and others who are raking in the money. Amd is not going to slap the wrists of retailers this is making them to much money Amd literally can't keep their product on shelves this is going to kill nvidia unless it does something like cut prices or update cuda to compete with amd.

Last edited:
I've heard it can take anywhere between 6 weeks and 3 months for them to increase production of the GPU itself. Given the continued short supply I'm inclined to believe its closer to the latter than the former for production time lag.

Of course other board components like the RAM and VRM parts could also be in short supply too and I have no idea what the production lag time on those would be. Without those they can't build the video cards any faster either.

If reports of ASIC lite and doge coin miners not coming until close to the end of the year are true and demand for the GPU's stays high it'd make sense for AMD to increase production for a while.

Yeah scheduling, purchasing, and ramping up production is something which takes time. Couple months sounds right. When your target customers suddenly start buying maybe something like 10x the amount of product they usually do and new customers just buying up everything possible cause, well, it pays for itself literally makes it hard to calculate how much to produce I'd wager.

Plus dealing with AIBs who must just be seeing dollar signs...whoa...! Wouldn't want to be the person at AMD tasked to try and keep them inline with their contracts.

ASIC scrypt mining hardware is very speculative I find. For those who have a bit extra "coin" to try it out it may payoff, or it may not. It like double speculation : speculating on hardware for a highly speculative investment vehicle. High risk, high reward or loss.

I would just watch Amazon, several people have gotten them at most $50 over MSRP.

I was able to snatch up an Asus R9 290 Direct CU2 for $10 over MSRP on Amazon. Took about a month to fulfill, but it will be here no later than Tuesday.

And the Great Crypto-Currency Crash of 201x will allow me to fit into CrossFire or TriFire nicely. :D

I was able to snatch up an Asus R9 290 Direct CU2 for $10 over MSRP on Amazon. Took about a month to fulfill, but it will be here no later than Tuesday.

I ordered the ASUS DirectCU II 290X from an amazon link, under the 'offered' price of $US699.

Mine was $US579

Still sitting in limbo with no shipping date.

But it is possible (Thanks to other posters who showed evidence that $399 and $559 290 and 290x cards DO come out of Amazon, on occasion, I'd given up hope).

I, too, think the miners are crapheads, but the -worse- guys are Newegg, for bumping up the prices on the R9 cards and keeping them 'artificially' inflated for so long.

Agreed, I got my Asus R9 290 Direct CU2 cards last week for $10 over MSRP, from Amazon. It did take about month to get them but it was worth it.

Also on a side note the VRM temps are very good on my cards. Some people were concerned. The have not broken 85 while gaming.

I ordered the ASUS DirectCU II 290X from an amazon link, under the 'offered' price of $US699.

Mine was $US579

Still sitting in limbo with no shipping date.

But it is possible (Thanks to other posters who showed evidence that $399 and $559 290 and 290x cards DO come out of Amazon, on occasion, I'd given up hope).

I, too, think the miners are crapheads, but the -worse- guys are Newegg, for bumping up the prices on the R9 cards and keeping them 'artificially' inflated for so long.
just so we are clear your mad at people for making money instead of playing games.... yeah who is the crap head there... not like the miners get the cards at a discount they have to pay the same inflated prices.

just so we are clear your mad at people for making money instead of playing games.... yeah who is the crap head there... not like the miners get the cards at a discount they have to pay the same inflated prices.

Congratulations on your lack of comprehension. I'm sure in your solipsist universe, full of excuse generation hardware, you're a doyen of rationality and wise beyond your tender years. Just ask the forum, they're sure to back up your opinion.

Crapheads are crapheads. Defending them is just proof positive that they clump together in likeminded gangs.

I'm still awaiting confirmation from Amazon (the good guys in this discussion) of my R9 290X DirectCU II purchase, and when I get the card, I'll be happy to bow out of this pissing competition over prices and uses. I just want a card at a reasonable price. What I don't need is various configurations of crapheads telling me that -my- desires are less virtuous than rapacious corporations who jack up prices 'just because they can'.

Repeating the mantra: FU NEWEGG!

Kinda surprised me the other day when I visited NE and discovered that they were advertising AMD cards as "bitcoin miners" on the front page of the GPU section.

butcoin keeps crashing but dogecoin and litcoins? they still doing okay.

That's not a good sign. One of the arguments anarcho-libertarians give for bitcoins is that there's a set supply rather than controlled inflation, but now people just go around that by making their own new crypto currencies and effectively lowering the value of bitcoins. The bitcoin economy isnt healthy to begin with, most of the value of these things comes from hoarding. Now they're competing with each other for the same small market and miners looking to make money. Its not unlike the cycle of speculation bubbles that went on in the days of state and bank-issued currencies.

On the other hand, having different coins to trade with creates interest and fluctuates the prices also creating opportunities for profit.

That's not a good sign. One of the arguments anarcho-libertarians give for bitcoins is that there's a set supply rather than controlled inflation, but now people just go around that by making their own new crypto currencies and effectively lowering the value of bitcoins. The bitcoin economy isnt healthy to begin with, most of the value of these things comes from hoarding. Now they're competing with each other for the same small market and miners looking to make money. Its not unlike the cycle of speculation bubbles that went on in the days of state and bank-issued currencies.

New Cryptos have nothing to do with bitcoin crashing.

Read up on the history of private and local bank issued currencies (ie. pre-Civil War US banking system).

His analogy of that time period vs today's competing *coin's is quite apt.

The coin miners and the anarcho-libertarians who support/participate in the *coin economies are just repeating that history all over again out of a combination of greed, ignorance, and ideologically induced irrationality.

Got to love the folks that try to take someones post out of context. But we see that here over and over don't we? Let me try to help you , since you seem to be lost.

Not needing the gpu, just wanting to turn it for some quick money. But it is what it is.

But look at it this way. You are entertaining your buddy here that follows you everywhere in here. He seems to be very supportive with his great one liner responses.

So to make this clear one more time. I don't care what you spend you money on..

I can't even begin to address the silliness of this post and the paranoia about some imaginary buddy you think I have, but you were whining about people using the cards for anything when someone "needs" (your own word) them to game on, rather than doing crypto (which is what you were transparently claiming paled in comparison to the "needs" of someone wanting to game).

So, let's get one thing straight: No one NEEDS a high-end video card to card to game on, that's a luxury. Needs mean things like food, shelter, water, etc. and could arguably be extended to some sort of communication like a phone in today's day and age pretty readily. But playing computer games? That's not a need, it's a want. Just letting you know since you seem to be lost here.

No one "needs" to mine *coins on GPU's either.

They also don't need fast cars. Or fancy clothes, nice shoes, chocolate cookies, TV, <insert fun but non-essential thing of choice here>, etc.

Being able to satisfy your wants, however silly or non-essential they might be, is a key factor in being able to enjoy life.

Complaining about being unable to satisfy those wants due to high prices on a product that was once and still is supposed to be much more affordable then it is right now is completely legit.

No one "needs" to mine *coins on GPU's either.

Personally speaking, mining with the three cards I have is keeping me from having to go back on disability. Many miners are looking to get rich, no doubt, but I am not one of them.

The things I want out of mining are stuff like getting my teeth fixed, replacing the three ratty tires on my car so I can keep getting to one of my three low paying jobs, maybe getting a new pair of glasses for the first time in five years, and maybe not having to give up the few luxuries I do have. Maybe even use it to start getting my photography business off the ground.

Believe me, I'm as frustrated at the high GPU prices as anyone. They're keeping me from scaling up mining to the point I can use the main rig for actual gaming again, instead of having to sit there using my ultra slow laptop, which also needs replacing.

I plan to eventually scale up to three dedicated mining rigs, and then I'm moving out of mining and into trading. That's the plan, anyway. No idea if any of it will work out by the time mining becomes unprofitable.

You might as well go gamble on the Forex markets or join up and get in on the ground floor with a MLM pyramid if that is your goal.

At least then you wouldn't have to spend money on GPU's + electricity to mine with them just to take a risk that you'll get back your principal + a profit to do the things you want when you go to sell your *coins.

That might sound harsh, especially since it sounds as if you could use the money, but you have to understand you're making a big gamble to say the least.

edit: And its sounds as if you're in a situation where you really don't need any gambling.

Last edited:
You might as well go gamble on the Forex markets or join up and get in on the ground floor with a MLM pyramid if that is your goal.

At least then you wouldn't have to spend money on GPU's + electricity to mine with them just to take a risk that you'll get back your principal + a profit to do the things you want when you go to sell your *coins.

That might sound harsh, especially since it sounds as if you could use the money, but you have to understand you're making a big gamble to say the least.

And how did that gamble work out for the early bitcoin miners? Those that kept all the coins they mined and sold them when they were $1100+ are probably browsing Ferrari catalogs right now. Big risk = big reward or big failure. Low risk = low reward or low failure.

Keep in mind he always has his gear to sell off in the worst-case scenario to recoup some of his investment, assuming it already hasn't paid for itself by now.

Well I know I'm not going to be very popular after this.

I don't like cryptocurrencies, they are just helping the crap of society. You might think because all you're doing is running a program that checks transactions, that you're not doing anything illegal or bad. But the truth is the bulk of the transactions done with cryptocurrencies are to support illicit activities, such as drug and weapon trafficking.

I know you have your own benign reasons for doing what you do, "I do actually buy stuff with it", "I donate money with it", "I am not a criminal" etc...well sure, there are anecdotal times where cash or credit cards weren't convenient for you. But do you really think that petty activity like that has fueled the success of these currencies?

Please, at least recognize that you are helping, be it in a small way, the garbage of the world to do their hideously horrific activities, and I hope it doesn't ever affect you.

And how did that gamble work out for the early bitcoin miners?
Pretty terribly. They gave them away or sold them for hardly anything. The most everyone who got "rich" off them came later and are only rich on paper. They're hoarding them and cannot sell them without massively devaluing their "currency".

Keep in mind he always has his gear to sell off in the worst-case scenario to recoup some of his investment, assuming it already hasn't paid for itself by now.
Used PC hardware usually sells for large discounts, even if it wasn't used for long. If the *coin craze dies down he'll lose money selling his old hardware.

you have to understand you're making a big gamble to say the least.

Well, yeah. I did not get into this lightly... I am only buying cards once they return on investment.

At any rate, it's really a supply and demand problem keeping prices high. Too little of the former, too much of the latter.

I don't like cryptocurrencies, they are just helping the crap of society. You might think because all you're doing is running a program that checks transactions, that you're not doing anything illegal or bad. But the truth is the bulk of the transactions done with cryptocurrencies are to support illicit activities, such as drug and weapon trafficking.

I know you have your own benign reasons for doing what you do, "I do actually buy stuff with it", "I donate money with it", "I am not a criminal" etc...well sure, there are anecdotal times where cash or credit cards weren't convenient for you. But do you really think that petty activity like that has fueled the success of these currencies?

Please, at least recognize that you are helping, be it in a small way, the garbage of the world to do their hideously horrific activities, and I hope it doesn't ever affect you.

I don't get this argument. Why do you think it's being used for illegal activities? Because of the lack of traceability or something? What would anyone have to gain by using cryptocurrencies instead of straight up cash for illegal activities? I can't imagine some Columbian drug dealer bringing drugs to some sort of deal and then checking his bitcoin wallet to make sure the "funds are all there"

This sounds sensationalist to me. But who knows, maybe you know something I don't. I guess I'm just asking for sources in regards to your claims.

So every nation/government is supporting illegal activities because their national currency is going to be used in illegal activities?

If there were a currency that was solely used for this purpose, then yes, but I'm sure just because it's not 100% of the time, but just like 90%+ of the time it is still valid.

What if this, what if that, if maybe, and if....so forth you can say a million of those it still doesn't account for the value of these currencies, I'm sure the value comes from being "new" or "safer" or "trendy" or whatever, and not because it is easy way to move huge amounts of anonymous money to any place with internet on the planet.

Hey guys, do w/e you want, I gave my opinion I'm not trying to preach, but please don't be daft.

I know this is off-topic already, but any form of currency-- whether it is cryptocurrency or actual currency-- has supported and will continue to support illicit activities with or without our knowledge.

It's not only human nature, but a long and large part of human history ever since currency and money has ever been created and invented.

it's unavoidable, inevitable and futile to consider that there isn't some form of dishonest or illicit activity taking part behind any form of currency.

How and what you do with your own money is your own discretion and your own decision. Just remember that your decisions have consequences like any other decision.

We also have to remember that there are people still with good intentions going into mining that are actually using it to help themselves as a form of supplemental income. Put it this way, if I could teach some of the retirees that I've done tax returns for that live off of Social Security and pitiful amounts of SSI and/or retirement income to help pay for their bills and medical care how to get into crytocurrency mining, I'd actually help them do that for that purpose. I've seen the bills and I've seen the checks they receive.

But, we have to also remember that there are places like Silkroad that exist for the purpose to buy and sell illicit and often illegal contraband and goods. And, yes, many sellers accept one or more forms of cryptocurrency given the fact that it is very decentralized with no real bank tracking transactions (to my knowledge). The day I read a story about cryptocurrency being accepted by pimps and brothels, or to pay for wars, then that is the day the world has changed its mentality in regards to digital currency and how it can be used.

Until then, cryptocurrency is going to be a part of our life in the future in one form or another. If one cryptocurrency dies out or loses value, another one will pop up eventually. Again, how and what we do with the money we make from it is still up to our own discretion and decision. It will always be unavoidable to not relate it with illicit and illegal transactions no matter how many times we try to turn our backs to it.

Last edited:
Yeah I was looking earlier... 290x's are now $900.00

Almost the price of a Titan!

Thanks Obama.

If I follow this logic -- I should also stop using my cars, because crimes have been committed in cars. I should also stop using and supporting the internet, because people have committed fraud/crimes with it. All guns are bad too right? Because bad people have done bad things with them?

The good old US dollar has been the star of many a' drug deals both foreign and domestic, I shouldn't use US dollars to conduct business because im putting my faith and energy to acquire something that's been used in the past illegally.

Please.....

To the dude on disability who has all sort of problems in life -- I feel for you, but the price skyrocketing is really not an excuse to jump on your soap box and complain how you missed the boat. Using your same logic will you also complain about the price of bitcoin being so high (vs it's humble beginnings)... ?

Mining is a great way to make extra money - no doubt there. Those that had the skill or the luck to pick up GPU's on the cheap... that's just free market baby. If you suddenly were sitting on a pile of bitcoins and had people lining up to give you $1200 dollars each (i know the value has dropped quite a bit this week, either way just an example)

If you had people lining up to give you cash for these little ones and zeros, would you take very kindly if I came along and started bitching and complaining that "the price is too high for the little guy like me, someone should do something so you can't sell your bitcoins to people willing to pay top dollar for them". You'd probably be pretty pissed because of your time/energy/investment and your foresight used to get the coins easily/cheaply.

I'm never going to be able to afford a Ferrari with what I mine -- I do what I can within my budget and I'm in the black, profits across the board. I'm happy with that, and I don't get pissed at the guys who had the capital and the foresight to buy up every 7970 for 200 dollars before they got popular.

To the dude on disability who has all sort of problems in life -- I feel for you, but the price skyrocketing is really not an excuse to jump on your soap box and complain how you missed the boat.

Not sure if you're referring to me, but if so... huh? I've been off disability for two years. Just using mining to try and keep it that way, as I am now losing one of my other sources of income.

Didn't miss the boat either, I think. Started with the 6870 and 7770 I already had and got my foot in the door without spending anything. Had I not already had those, I wouldn't be mining now. Then I bought an Asus 270X with my Christmas money - it reached ROI two weeks ago. Just waiting on a check from the exchange so I can get the next 270 before the retailers jack the price up again.

My only major mistake was assuming the 270's wouldn't get price gouged as much as they now are, so I cashed out the second the Asus 270X made its $230 back thinking I'd easily get the next card for not much more money. That card is now $300+ where I can find it in stock.

Ah well, not much I can do. 270X too much cash? I'll just go down a notch to the 270, or whatever the next one down is. Meantime, I'll have to adjust my cashout strategy around the price gouging. All while making sure I'm never in this for the cost of more than one card at a time.

I may be puttering up the onramp to the crypto highway in a Yugo that dies if you drive it faster than twenty, but I'm not putting the brakes on either :D

Not sure if you're referring to me, but if so... huh? I've been off disability for two years. Just using mining to try and keep it that way, as I am now losing one of my other sources of income.

Didn't miss the boat either, I think. Started with the 6870 and 7770 I already had and got my foot in the door without spending anything. Had I not already had those, I wouldn't be mining now. Then I bought an Asus 270X with my Christmas money - it reached ROI two weeks ago. Just waiting on a check from the exchange so I can get the next 270 before the retailers jack the price up again.

My only major mistake was assuming the 270's wouldn't get price gouged as much as they now are, so I cashed out the second the Asus 270X made its $230 back thinking I'd easily get the next card for not much more money. That card is now $300+ where I can find it in stock.

Ah well, not much I can do. 270X too much cash? I'll just go down a notch to the 270, or whatever the next one down is. Meantime, I'll have to adjust my cashout strategy around the price gouging. All while making sure I'm never in this for the cost of more than one card at a time.

I may be puttering up the onramp to the crypto highway in a Yugo that dies if you drive it faster than twenty, but I'm not putting the brakes on either :D

Here's 14 Sapphire Dual X 270X's for $210 a pop ;)

http://www.shopblt.com/item/sapphire-technology-11217-01-20g-radeon-r9-270x/u150_112170120g.html

This line is pure brilliance. Keep on keeping on brother!

Heh - I confess I've been working on that line for quite a while at this point :D

Here's 14 Sapphire Dual X 270X's for $210 a pop ;)

Nice, but I'm in Canada and my check from the exchange isn't even here yet. I'll worry about budget when that shows up. Thanks anyway :)

Have to change my strategy a little. Thought the main office rig could take two video cards right on the board, but found out the hard way this evening its two x16 slots are too close together to allow double space cards. Means I either need to get going on the first dedicated mining rig one card sooner than planned, or try to cram three cards onto the main rig's P8Z68 Pro-V Gen3. Fortunately, being a PSU reviewer, I have the power needs covered already and don't have to spend money there.

The $900 R9 290/290X has made news on AnandTech:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7758/radeon-r9-290x-retail-prices-hit-900

In a sign of the daffy times we live in, Radeon R9 290X prices have hit $900 this week at Newegg. Every card, from the reference models to the water block model, is now at $899, with Newegg apparently doing brisk enough business to be sold out of more than half of their different 290X SKUs. This of course is some $350 over the 290X’s original launch price of $550, a 64% price bump. Meanwhile the Radeon R9 290 has been similarly affected, with 290 cards starting at $600, $200 (50%) over MSRP.

The culprit, as has been the case since the start, continues to be the strong demand for the cards from cryptocoin miners, who are willing to pay a premium for the cards in anticipation of still being able to turn a profit off of them in the long run. Interestingly this also comes right as Chinese New Year comes to a close. Chinese New Year doesn’t typically affect video card prices for cards that are already released and on shelves, but the lack of production for the roughly 2 week span certainly isn’t doing the 290X market any favors given the strong demand for the cards.

Where is the big risk?

Having a couple GPU's mining is considered a big risk?

I know some people stupid enough to pay $900. They're looking to break even mostly and make a bit of change here and there.

Only if the cryptocoins still hold value and continue to appreciate is when it would be worth it. It's possible but unlikely with the couple of new cryptocoins coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back