R9 pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

strikerP4

Limp Gawd
Any thoughts on when the prices will settle down? I want to upgrade to one but paying $140 over MSRP is not going to happen.

man, i dont know.

I ordered a 280x before all this started. when I fgot it it was DOA, by the time I sent it back (two days later) everything was out of stock and prices jumped. newegg refunded me the money, but I wasnt about spend an extra $50 (at the time) on the same card I just bought.

I ordered a 280x because one of my 5850's died. This was back around dec 15th ish. ive been stuck with one 5850 since then. at this point, I will probably wait for a refresh not only due to availability but also because the r9's have some series temperature and relability issues.

Amazon are regularly selling them only a few bucks above MRSP every few days, just gotta keep an eye out for them.

Any thoughts on when the prices will settle down? I want to upgrade to one but paying $140 over MSRP is not going to happen.

Amazon sells this for about $10-$20 over MSRP, but you have to be quick as they go extremely fast. IE: 10 minutes. nowinstock.net will give you alerts.

Most of the recent ones have gone up at around 4:30 AM PST.

If you can wait a few weeks, shopblt.com can get you one as they come in. They're usually (depending brand) about $5-$20 above MSRP. Their availability tracker will give a general ETA of when. I've ordered stuff from them before with no problems. I just ordered a 280x for $315 ( http://www.shopblt.com/item/gigabyt...eon-r9-280x-pcie/gigmbd_gvr928xoc3gdrev2.html ) shipped. ETA from the manufacturer (came in an email) is 2-15-2014. Unfortunately, the manufacturers are still charging a huge ($150ish) premium on the non-reference ones - I think they're just trying to clear out all their reference stock at MSRP.

They also have 290's and 290x's. When searching, search for "R9 290" and not just "290" as you'll get a ton of other stuff.

Visiontek 290, $415, ETA: 2/20/2015 - http://www.shopblt.com/item/visiontek-radeon-r9-290-4gb-gddr5/vision_900653.html
Gigabyte 290, $420, ETA: 2/15/2015 - http://www.shopblt.com/item/gigabyte-gv-r929d5-4gd-b-radeon-r9-290-4gb/gigmbd_gvr929d54gdb.html

The 290x isn't really worth the added cost, if you're ok with ocing. Imho. It's just a higher-binned 290. Unless you get a lemon-290, you can probably push it to 290x speeds - it just didn't pass the manufacturer testing for that product SKU. For the $650 that the 290x cost, I'd just crossfire two 280x's at $315/ea.

Last edited:
I've been watching since November, it's now February, and prices just keep on going up and up and up.

Best deal I can see is Umart.com.au, which has the Asus DirectCUII R9 290 for $AU630 (Delivery is $20 more :/). ($US550). Which is $US150 over the original MSRP.

Sick making really. I've wanted a new video card since Feb 2013, and the prices for top end video cards just haven't dipped below $AU500 anytime past the original Nvidia price-drop on 780 cards in October 2013 (when they were selling for $US450 or so).

GTX780 cards are now $AU900. Fucking ridiculous prices.

I'll keep my SLI GTX570's, and wait some more.

If you can wait a few weeks you can get an ASUS 290X DC2OC for $580 from Amazon. Order it now and it will be delivered in 3-4 weeks

I have 2 coming at that price. I bought 1 and then a couple of days later thought that "these prices will not be coming down soon" so I ordered another. I would have preferred 290's but I'll take what is available. I am coming off of 5870's in Crossfire but now using 3 2560*1440 and a 4K screen.

The MSRP is no longer 399, its 499

I've heard this before but no source was given. [H]'s review stating pricing from AMD is the only thing I've seen. Meanwhile Amazon is still selling 290's for $400-$435. I know this because my two 290's arrived last week from them, $435 each.

I've bought every single card I own from Amazon by watching very closely. That's 8 R9 290 reference for $430 plus tax, Sapphire Tri-X 290's for $500 plus tax, and 7 R9 280's for anywhere from $310 to $360 plus tax. For some reason the R9 280 price really varies. I bought two MSI Gaming R9 280's for $310 plus tax then two more for $350 plus tax. It seems like Amazon raised the price on most 280's over the last few weeks.

I was randomly browsing around and saw a batch of XFX DD 280Xs for $310 shipped and sold by amazon last week. They were gone really quick but like others have said they are out there for MSRP you just have to be lucky or very persistent.

Amazon sells this for about $10-$20 over MSRP, but you have to be quick as they go extremely fast. IE: 10 minutes. nowinstock.net will give you alerts.

Most of the recent ones have gone up at around 4:30 AM PST.

If you can wait a few weeks, shopblt.com can get you one as they come in. They're usually (depending brand) about $5-$20 above MSRP. Their availability tracker will give a general ETA of when. I've ordered stuff from them before with no problems. I just ordered a 280x for $315 ( http://www.shopblt.com/item/gigabyt...eon-r9-280x-pcie/gigmbd_gvr928xoc3gdrev2.html ) shipped. ETA from the manufacturer (came in an email) is 2-15-2014. Unfortunately, the manufacturers are still charging a huge ($150ish) premium on the non-reference ones - I think they're just trying to clear out all their reference stock at MSRP.

They also have 290's and 290x's. When searching, search for "R9 290" and not just "290" as you'll get a ton of other stuff.

Visiontek 290, $415, ETA: 2/20/2015 - http://www.shopblt.com/item/visiontek-radeon-r9-290-4gb-gddr5/vision_900653.html
Gigabyte 290, $420, ETA: 2/15/2015 - http://www.shopblt.com/item/gigabyte-gv-r929d5-4gd-b-radeon-r9-290-4gb/gigmbd_gvr929d54gdb.html

The 290x isn't really worth the added cost, if you're ok with ocing. Imho. It's just a higher-binned 290. Unless you get a lemon-290, you can probably push it to 290x speeds - it just didn't pass the manufacturer testing for that product SKU. For the $650 that the 290x cost, I'd just crossfire two 280x's at $315/ea.

How long did it take you to get your order? A friend looked at the inventory, bought 280X cards (2 or 3 IIRC), but the date kept getting moved back and back. He ordered in December and it was pushed back from early to late January, and then again to February. We sbought stuff for Tigerdirect (over MSRP), but at least it's coming in.

XFX 290 DD shipped out from NCIX today after ordering it for $527 CAD before tax a few days ago. About $87 over MSRP after exchange rates if the DDs aren't going at a higher MSRP than the reference boards to start with. Was planning to go for a 290X but not willing to drop $769 before tax on something ~164 over MSRP.

I would just watch Amazon, several people have gotten them at most $50 over MSRP.

I know this doesn't mean anything, but it's good enough for me to keep waiting since I wasn't planning on paying these crazy premiums anyway.

pN2xJ8l.png

This is the article I linked him to.

http://techreport.com/news/25983/radeon-r9-290-and-290x-widely-available-but-at-premium-prices

Economics 101 people, if the cards weren't selling at these prices, they'd drop the prices. On a whole, the video card market is not in a good state right now because of the technology stagnation, when 20 nm comes things will be shaken up a bit. Be glad you can at least mine to offset the prices on AMD cards.

AMD needs to ship very large shipments to make a difference. As soon as a card dips slightly in price it sells out in minutes which seems to indicate Huge demand. Tiny/regular allotments of cards ain't cutting it. Plus retailers seemed to have calculated profits per card possible short term and jacked the prices almost perfectly on top of high demand price increases.

I don't think any video card manufacturer is used to this type of volume for high end parts, and even mid range now. It takes time to ramp up production like this to meet demand, not to mention costs associated with rushed production. It's a nice problem for manufacturers, but a problem nonetheless.

I know this doesn't mean anything, but it's good enough for me to keep waiting since I wasn't planning on paying these crazy premiums anyway.

pN2xJ8l.png

This is the article I linked him to.

http://techreport.com/news/25983/radeon-r9-290-and-290x-widely-available-but-at-premium-prices

i believe the conversation he will be having with them all is this "we will not allow you to take advantage of our customers any longer drop your prices to our msrp or watch your allotment of cards dry up."

I don't think any video card manufacturer is used to this type of volume for high end parts, and even mid range now. It takes time to ramp up production like this to meet demand, not to mention costs associated with rushed production. It's a nice problem for manufacturers, but a problem nonetheless.

OEMs/botique builders went crazy with Titan and GTX780 due to Titan's cooler/HSF.

It takes time to ramp up production like this to meet demand, not to mention costs associated with rushed production.
I've heard it can take anywhere between 6 weeks and 3 months for them to increase production of the GPU itself. Given the continued short supply I'm inclined to believe its closer to the latter than the former for production time lag.

Of course other board components like the RAM and VRM parts could also be in short supply too and I have no idea what the production lag time on those would be. Without those they can't build the video cards any faster either.

If reports of ASIC lite and doge coin miners not coming until close to the end of the year are true and demand for the GPU's stays high it'd make sense for AMD to increase production for a while.

Depends on how quickly bit coin and the other alt coins bounce back if they crash and stay so i imagine a flood of used ones will hit the market as panic ensues and people desperately try to recoup loss and cut costs of electricity. And demand drops to nil on an upside this should crash retail prices too. If it bounces back quickly then i dont imagine the r9 will drop till the next gen come out or asic come out for scrypt coins that make the gpus very inefficient to mine on but we dont have a good working asic yet and so many coins have things to guard against huge farms springing up from a flood of cycles suddenly dropping onto the market...

Looks like prices are going nowhere but up for now. Thanks to Newegg, you can now buy a Gigabyte 270X for $300!

Money talks. I doubt there will be a change in pricing until AMD comes out with new cards or the bit mining, lite coin, or whatever is hot now, dries up or market flops horribly.

Looks like prices are going nowhere but up for now. Thanks to Newegg, you can now buy a Gigabyte 270X for $300!

grabbed an msi one at 229 last week the next day sold out and 280 up from a week prior where they had been 179. same thing happened to the r7 260x then it is back to 139 just watch for them to drop and jump

Fact of the matter is - as long as Litecoin (or any altcoin for that matter) pulls in more money than it costs to run.... things will continue as they have been (i.e. high price of hardware)

I was super lucky and snagged two 290's at MSRP when they came out, snagged a 7970 for 200 off newegg refurb randomly a short time later.

I look at the cost of my cards as a sunk cost (even though I don't have to) that way, when (and if) i do ever decide to exit the mining game it's just icing on the cake in terms of overall return to my bottom line.

Between 6 GPU's running full tilt 24/7 - i spend 3 dollars a day in power, and generate WAY WAY more than that in return. Funny enough I just renewed my electric contract for 7 months at 5.5 cents per kwh (avg cost, that includes delivery charges) yay Texas! The price of LTC/DOGE/whatever would have to drop SO SO far for me to even consider stopping mining. We are talking when I get down to maybe 3 dollars a day net profit I'd probably consider quitting.

The fact you can buy a card - and even after all the turmoil in the crypto market... the card will STILL pay for itself in a month or two.... anyone with a shred of common sense would be willing to pay a premium, and start buying up as many as they could get their hands on.

It is greedy folks like this that causes issues for others that need a gpu. Then those greedy folks in here will then flood the For Sale forum or Ebay and sale thing for a even bigger profit. Not needing the gpu, just wanting to turn it for some quick money. But it is what it is.

I wanted one also but not at the price they are going for now. I will just have to settle for something else now.

The fact you can buy a card - and even after all the turmoil in the crypto market... the card will STILL pay for itself in a month or two.... anyone with a shred of common sense would be willing to pay a premium, and start buying up as many as they could get their hands on.

I can't seem to find an MSRP R9 anywhere. It's getting to the point, where I'm more tempted to just wait for the next-generation of cards to come out and picking up a medium end as I guess it'll be about the same raw-speed but maybe have some availability near MSRP...

I can't seem to find an MSRP R9 anywhere. It's getting to the point, where I'm more tempted to just wait for the next-generation of cards to come out and picking up a medium end as I guess it'll be about the same raw-speed but maybe have some availability near MSRP...
I've already passed on a few sales waiting.
I'm determined to get 290/780-level performance for below $399.

This is just price gauging started by the bitcointards. Just buy Nvidia, that'll teach them about economics and free-markets.

It is greedy folks like this that causes issues for others that need a gpu. Then those greedy folks in here will then flood the For Sale forum or Ebay and sale thing for a even bigger profit. Not needing the gpu, just wanting to turn it for some quick money. But it is what it is.

I wanted one also but not at the price they are going for now. I will just have to settle for something else now.

Um, yeah, your little video games are clearly more important than other peoples' wants with cryptocurrency. The NERVE of people, buying computer parts for things other than hobbyist endeavors! I mean, they even buy up high-end CPU's that I could be using for my games. /sarcasm

To turn it around and show you how ridiculous you sound there... "What greedy kids, buying all the damn Titans. I need them for model renders and compute stuff, what the hell are they doing buying this stuff to play World of Warcraft on? Don't they know people have real work to do with them and are suffering from these greedy squirrels snapping up all of the availability?"

(again, /sarcasm)

heh

Um, yeah, your little video games are clearly more important than other peoples' wants with cryptocurrency. The NERVE of people, buying computer parts for things other than hobbyist endeavors! I mean, they even buy up high-end CPU's that I could be using for my games. /sarcasm

To turn it around and show you how ridiculous you sound there... "What greedy kids, buying all the damn Titans. I need them for model renders and compute stuff, what the hell are they doing buying this stuff to play World of Warcraft on? Don't they know people have real work to do with them and are suffering from these greedy squirrels snapping up all of the availability?"

(again, /sarcasm)

Got to love the folks that try to take someones post out of context. But we see that here over and over don't we? Let me try to help you , since you seem to be lost.

Not needing the gpu, just wanting to turn it for some quick money. But it is what it is.

What that means is folks that doesn't need them. Maybe trying to make some quick cash as they might not have a job. Perhaps they want to sit on them and see if they go up any higher and then unload them. Meaning they have no actual use for it. Perhaps someone else needed it to mine with for your over the top example. Or even to game with. Which you went off in the deep end about for some reason.

I love it when someone tries to make a point but misses the whole point to begin with. And then ends it with a funny tag at the end. But you know what they say about karma. And you seems to put it right back on yourself. But you know it is what it is. Good luck with your next post.

Maybe I need to buy a gpu so I can go play a game with. Nope, I like reading all these comments and folks missing the point on the internet. Try harder next time.

(again, /sarcasm)

But look at it this way. You are entertaining your buddy here that follows you everywhere in here. He seems to be very supportive with his great one liner responses.

C'est La Vie

So to make this clear one more time. I don't care what you spend you money on. It is your money and you worked for it. Buy what makes you happy. Even though my previous choice had no reflection on this though. I actually like it when someone drops a few grand on some video cards. Then post some pictures of the setup and results. I'm very happy for that person using them, doesn't matter if it is a game or mining. There is honestly no price on being happy the way I see it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back