R9 290X2 coming

I've now been burned with Crossfire for 6970, 7970, 290/290X...and yet I'm still interested in this card. Toyz. :cool:

Ha, I probably wait for the 790, if anything. Still really trying to wait for Maxwell until doing anything else.

would wait for the 790 as well

G0DNsXw.jpg

The value I've placed on this is even lower now.

I like it.

If it had 6DP ports it would be an insta-buy, at 4 ports I've short listed it, but will see pricing. Only 2 power connectors is very interesting also.

SO any official release notice?

By the looks of it it looks like it would fit in a Corsair 250D mITX case.

Last edited:
looks like the air cooling will be for pcb and vrm, vrams.
It looks like the h60 or equivalent which can hardly cool an overclocked i7 <200W wil be handling 400W+, am i missing something?

Some kinda heatsink on the card? Can't see with the shroud on.
Or, y'know, the GPU's will run at 95C again.

Again, if the card only has 2x 8pin connectors as pictures seem to indicate it could possibly mean a 375w TDP which is quite intriguing to say the least.

AMD-Radeon-R9-295X2-2.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see how a single 120mm radiator can cool 2 290x's.

Direct die cooling.. not so strange.. just like laptop being cooled by a single tiny and flat heat pipe..

Again, if the card only has 2x 8pin connectors as pictures seem to indicate it could possibly mean a 375w TDP which is quite intriguing to say the least.

i was asking myself the same.. i would not expect for a monster power hungry like that less tha 3x 8pin PCI-E..

So it's a dual 290x clocked @ 300 MHz then? :cool:

+1

Pretty much. That or it would have to be a respun/new stepping with some major gains in power draw.

That's possible, or at the very least highly binned chips for power use.

AMD already had one Big surprise with the Huge 1/2 DP calculations on the 9100W FirePro card. Maybe someting else with the Hawaii chip?

looks like the air cooling will be for pcb and vrm, vrams.
It looks like the h60 or equivalent which can hardly cool an overclocked i7 <200W wil be handling 400W+, am i missing something?

I don't see how a single 120mm radiator can cool 2 290x's.
I'm sure that if they tested it thoroughly up to 1GHz (and some "slight" overclocking), this cooling setup is more than adequate.

They probably tested a blower type cooler and found that inadequate for the job. Hopefully, if (and a big "if") we get to 22nm, AMD's next Rx-3xx series will run more efficiently and cooler.

Last edited:
^Yeah. Blower would have been difficult. Without getting into any type of debate about this, I really do hope that AMD takes the criticism that review websites had for the ref 290 cooler to heart for their next go-around. They need to fix that on whatever their next gen part is, because hot and loud isn't too fashionable with GPUs these days. Wasn't with the GTX 480 either.

Anyway, I agree that a blower would have been a difficult task on the 290X 2, I really think the AIO water loop is perfect. Very little noise, external heat exhaust, and possible overclocking as icing on the cake. Should be a great card IMO. Looking forward to reviews on it.

Interesting. I'm curious to see how many units they will make and how many for each MFR. Hopefully 100k total or more so prices stay reasonable.

Before anyone asks... No, I have No idea, hints, clue, or knowledge about these units, if its not an entire hoax itself.

Not really following how this is supposed to work - I have 290x in CFX watercooled, and I can tell you that 290x in CFX will melt a single 120mm rad.

Tainted, have you ever water cooled? You normally want 120mm of rad per item in a custom loop, minimum. So with 2 GPU chips you ideally want 240mm of rad, If not more. Most guys with custom loops do bigger rads, although that quickly becomes a cost benefit type of issue. I'm sure that's what verylost is referring to, and the asus Poiseden isn't an apples to apples comparison. That is one GPU while the 295X2 would be 2 GPU chips. But I do think a 120mm rad could work, but the temps obviously will not be as good as a custom loop, and would not be as good as it would be with 240mm of rad.

That said, i'm sure it'll be fine. The 295X2 is purported to have a 375W TDP - that's rather high for a 120mm rad, but if AMD designed it that way i'm sure it'd be fine. The temps would just be a bit higher than what a real custom loop offers, but that would be somewhat obvious anyway. I just wouldn't expect 40C GPU temps with the 295X2, but like I said. I don't forsee an issue if AMD designed it that way.

As far as the mining tangent, isn't the entire scrypt thing pretty non profitable at this point? It seems a single card nets you pocket change in comparison to what it could get like 6 months ago. That's the gist i've gotten from reading various forums, and is also the reason why 290/290X cards are returning to proper pricing as well. So miners don't even warrant hate at this point, if anyone still felt that way. Seems to be done or nearing the point of being not worth it.

Just guessing, it might work like this:

(ASUS Poseidon)
n0nAyXZ.png

Joke's on you, those are all XFX. lol

I hope it worked like that instead of having to spend another 200$ on a waterblock.
too bad it doesnt seem like it on the leaked pics

Tainted, have you ever water cooled? You normally want 120mm of rad per item in a custom loop, minimum. So with 2 GPU chips you ideally want 240mm of rad, If not more. Most guys with custom loops do bigger rads, although that quickly becomes a cost benefit type of issue. I'm sure that's what verylost is referring to, and the asus Poiseden isn't an apples to apples comparison. That is one GPU while the 295X2 would be 2 GPU chips. But I do think a 120mm rad could work, but the temps obviously will not be as good as a custom loop, and would not be as good as it would be with 240mm of rad.
The point being a heatsink (or 2 separate heatsinks) on the GPU's with a fan blowing on it makes a single 120mm much more viable.

Last edited:
Honestly. Like I said I think it will be fine even without the fan setup that the asus card uses. I'm sure it will be fine if AMD designed it with a 375W TDP and a 120mm rad.

The temps just would not be as good as a custom loop, but that would be pretty obvious anyway. A custom loop + full coverage block could easily take a 290X GPU to the 40C GPU load range. I don't think the 295X2 will try to raise the bar that high, nor does it need to. Just needs to stay below the throttle range at reasonable noise levels, which I think is easily attainable with a 120mm rad.

Last edited:
Joke's on you, those are all XFX. lol

Joke's on you, it's the only non-reference card that takes Stilts BIOS, they're running around 60% less voltage and getting a consistent 900khash(290) and 980+khash (290x) each, and every card has been running cool and stable since I've got them.

Just because you don't know how to make hardware work doesn't mean other people aren't smart enough to figure it out. ;)

Who cares about mining or XFX. It might matter if scrypt were still profitable, the gist i'm getting is that 2$ per day at best is what you're gonna get with a single card. Not worth it, so XFX shmex ef ex. Whatever. Fortunately since scrypt is dying, AMD fans can actually buy cards are non-insane prices now. And NV fans can find their cards on sale more frequently as well due to increased competition. Personally, the end of mining makes me happy - it benefits both AMD fans and also NV fans (like me). Everyone wins.

That tangent aside, I just realized that the chiphell picture did indeed show an Asus Poseidon type hybrid air / liquid cooled AIO loop used on the 295X2. Interesting. Didn't even realize that. Should be interesting to see what the temps are like, it certainly won't be as good as a custom loop with a full cover block but will be better than a blower cooler for sure. Really interested to see how well it will overclock. I'm going to throw a wild guess out there that GPU load temps will be in the 60-70C range, which does leave a bit of headroom for OC'ing. But whether it remains voltage unlocked is really questionable with dual GPU cards, we'll see I guess. Was the 7990 voltage unlocked?

Who cares about mining or XFX. It might matter if scrypt were still profitable, the gist i'm getting is that 2$ per day at best is what you're gonna get with a single card. Not worth it, so XFX shmex ef ex. Whatever. Fortunately since scrypt is dying, AMD fans can actually buy cards are non-insane prices now. And NV fans can find their cards on sale more frequently as well due to increased competition. Personally, the end of mining makes me happy - it benefits both AMD fans and also NV fans (like me). Everyone wins.

That tangent aside, I just realized that the chiphell picture did indeed show an Asus Poseidon type hybrid air / liquid cooled AIO loop used on the 295X2. Interesting. Didn't even realize that. Should be interesting to see what the temps are like, it certainly won't be as good as a custom loop with a full cover block but will be better than a blower cooler for sure. Really interested to see how well it will overclock. I'm going to throw a wild guess out there that GPU load temps will be in the 60-70C range, which does leave a bit of headroom for OC'ing. But whether it remains voltage unlocked is really questionable with dual GPU cards, we'll see I guess. Was the 7990 voltage unlocked?

Quoting this so I can put it on a plaque in a few years to show how laughable the idea that "mining is over" was.

"Mining is over"
- izusaga, April 2014

Joke's on you, it's the only non-reference card that takes Stilts BIOS, they're running around 60% less voltage and getting a consistent 900khash(290) and 980+khash (290x) each, and every card has been running cool and stable since I've got them.
Are you in the red or are we still calling this an "investment" ?

Just because you don't know how to make hardware work doesn't mean other people aren't smart enough to figure it out.
Shame on me for gaming with my cards instead of wasting power just to mine coins to pay back my power bill.
wat.

Quoting this so I can put it on a plaque in a few years to show how laughable the idea that "mining is over" was.

Alrighty. You do that. All I know is scrypt is taking a nosedive in profitability and AMD prices are returning to normal. So the AMD fans that are actually using the cards as intended, for gaming, are benefiting with better prices. NV fans that want to game, get more sale prices due to increased competition. That's all there is know at this time.

If that changes a year from now and you want to tell me you "got me", have at it. Maybe it will change. Who knows. I promise I won't care either way.

The butthurt and faux-outrage from video game addicts with too much free time to rot away their social skills who need the top-end card at a 50% price premium so they can get 5% better graphics that they ignore anyway while they twitch-kill and teabag people online makes me eye-roll.

I game casually, too. And there isn't any difference at all between a rig with 4 R9 290X's and a set of two+ year old GTX 580's. Your outrage is just so comically immature I can't help but smile at the thought of it.

The butthurt and faux-outrage from video game addicts with too much free time to rot away their social skills who need the top-end card at a 50% price premium so they can get 5% better graphics that they ignore anyway while they twitch-kill and teabag people online makes me eye-roll.
The only outrage I see here is a guy who realizes he put himself $10,000 in debt so he could mine imaginary coins sending himself farther into debt.

I can't help but smile at the thought of it.
I'm smiling at the thought of you putting those cards on eBay for $200/ea 6 months from now in an attempt to make back some of what you've wasted.

The only outrage I see here is a guy who realizes he put himself $10,000 in debt so he could mine imaginary coins sending himself farther into debt.

It's hilarious that you pull magic numbers out of a hat and actually expect anyone to take you seriously.

Not only have I long ago exceeded my ROI because unlike most idiots doing mining I am very adaptive and switch coins constantly to make extreme returns (6 hours of Hirocoin alone netted me almost $1500, for example - and it's far from an extreme case of the various ways I capitalize on mining), but even today if I were to lazily point my entire hash power at a random coin I'd still be making almost $150/day AFTER electricity costs. That's $150 of net profit out of thin air. Every day. That's probably 6-10x what you make at your day job - assuming you actually have one and aren't living off government stipends that you use to buy pot and play halo in your moms basement.

I get it, you're too ignorant to understand basic concepts like.. you know, numbers, facts, data, statistics - all that boring stuff that you likely fell asleep during class after spending your previous night up till 3 AM fragging your buddies online, so I'll cut you some slack when your arguments are so hilariously asinine.

Sorry kid, big boys are playing with hardware. The beauty of technology is it can be used for whatever people want, so keep calling them gaming cards and I'll keep calling them mining cards, and we'll both be right - only one of us won't be stupid enough to think that the other person doesn't have a right to use them for what they like, too.

Tool.

I'm smiling at the thought of you putting those cards on eBay for $200/ea 6 months from now in an attempt to make back some of what you've wasted. .

I'm smiling at the fact that I could put my cards on e-bay for $10 just to piss you off and I'd still be net positive.. but since I'm educated enough to have a good grasp on economics I'm going to continue to mine away for ridiculous profits while you cry like a little baby about your inability to get your absolutely essential top-end graphics (insert eye-roll).

I hope I buy as many of the next-gen card as possible and raise the price just to piss off entitled little princesses like yourself.

Let me guess, you go around posting that imgur album just so you can incite arguments like this to feel better about yourself?
It makes sense, you came into a thread about a 290 X2 and posted your mining cards for no reason whatsoever.

I have a huge pile of these and according to my sources they're 10 times more valuable than your doggy coins. I'm gonna be rich.
All I can say is, $150 per day is severely undervaluing the amount of effort you've clearly taken, and the psychological stress this seems to be causing you. Sure though, the money is "coming out of thin air" when it seems like you're working overtime for very little profit.

I hope it's worth it for you in the end -- but seeing as how you choose to spend your time defending yourself to strangers on the internet, I'm guessing no. Get out while your ahead and before you [completely] lose your sanity.
Go back and re-read your posts. You exploded on me for insulting XFX and attacked xoleras, too.

If mining is so amazing then why even bother coming here to argue with us? Do you have something to prove? I guess waving your dick around on the internet is half the fun...
Yikes. Congratulations on the money, and... I feel sorry about everything else that came with it.

I would report you but I feel like you've got enough problems right now. Like figuring out what you're going to do about all your debt. Maybe the bank will take Mario coins?
The personal insults are totally uncalled for, by the way (yes I see your edits).

Last edited:
Haha. Okay, Dr. Phil. You've clearly got me pegged!

I'm simply going to guess you're <25 and either under or unemployed. You're definitely entitled to whatever values you choose, regardless of how short-sighted they might be, but the pure reality is that if you can find me another hobby (which is exactly what this is - a hobby to spend my spare time on) that over the course of a few hours to setup can then, with practically no upkeep other than some configuration changes every now and then, make you $150 a day (see: equivalent to $175 a day when compared to a typical 5-day working mans schedule) for doing nothing at all.. then I don't possibly see how I can continue to argue with your inability to comprehend success.

I mean seriously. The only thing that truly separates us is that while I'm playing video games in my spare time after work I'm also making a ton of money for doing nothing.. so, I guess I can understand your jealousy for your inability to capitalize on getting paid to play games like me. Sorry. =(

P.S. I only replied because the arguments against miners are just so stupid I can't believe more than one person is actually vocalizing them. Seriously, a top-end graphics card being a little higher priced is such a ridiculous first-world problem that I fear for your future if you actually have to deal with the true difficulties life is going to throw at you in the real world.

It's hilarious that you pull magic numbers out of a hat and actually expect anyone to take you seriously.
Which is kind of what you did, so let's note your hypocrisy and look at actual numbers: http://www.coinwarz.com/calculators...00&er=0.00000106&btcer=453.36000000&hc=22,000
This is DOGE, which is still one of the most profitable currencies (and stop with your "super secret" new altcoin pump and dumps that you're "cleaning house" on, it's an amateur miner's wet dream and rarely happens). As you can see, you might be $2,000 in the black after an entire year of mining, less your investment and average U.S. power costs, assuming full uptime, zero failures, and a stable market (good luck).

even today if I were to lazily point my entire hash power at a random coin I'd still be making almost $150/day AFTER electricity costs. That's $150 of net profit out of thin air.
Which is wrong, as I clearly just showed it's only ~$65-70. Which also doesn't account for the initial investment of $22,000 for 44 ~ $500 units (if you're lucky you paid that), so you're still paying off a debt.
Every day. That's probably 6-10x what you make at your day job
So you think he makes only $15-25 after working an entire day? Also you're pulling numbers out of the air again, but hey, we already established you're a hypocrite. This is telling for just how out of touch you are with reality and the fact that you may be one of these basement dwelling leechers you're trying to gloat at. Or let me guess, you have a "super awesome job" where you can micro manage your miners and make a full days pay (then go home to your supermodel wife and Ferrari, right? Am I hitting all the internet awesome points you were going to make?)

I'm smiling at the fact that I could put my cards on e-bay for $10 just to piss you off and I'd still be net positive.. but since I'm educated enough to have a good grasp on economics I'm going to continue to mine away for ridiculous profits while you cry like a little baby about your inability to get your absolutely essential top-end graphics (insert eye-roll).
Or, assuming that picture is actually yours, you're just trying to gloat about a pipe dream of making it big in the mining craze years after the investment window has passed. For all that schooling and education you seem to swear you have, you probably should have used it to analyze the trends and gotten in when it counted instead of throwing money at bull trap like every other flunky out there.

This is coming from a miner who invested years ago, made a shit ton, and reinvested in actual "big boy" things like stocks and the money market. The cherry on top is I'm now more than making the kind of money you're dreaming about.

Anyway, let's get back to talking about the R290X2 and not feed the troll.

Herp derp derpda herpa derp.

You realize 85mhash on Doge alone is $180 a day after electricity even with today's rates, right?

Also, yes, $15-25 a day was an intentional exaggerated jab. Kind of surprised you didn't get that.

I'm really not going to bother replying the the rest, I don't have to validate anything to you because I don't give a shit if you believe me or not - facts are facts, regardless.

Back