R9 290X2 coming

P.S. I only replied because the arguments against miners are just so stupid I can't believe more than one person is actually vocalizing them. Seriously, a top-end graphics card being a little higher priced is such a ridiculous first-world problem that I fear for your future if you actually have to deal with the true difficulties life is going to throw at you in the real world.

make you $150 a day (see: equivalent to $175 a day when compared to a typical 5-day working mans schedule) for doing nothing at all.

I'll acknowledge mining is a good venture when you acknowledge that not everyone is in a position to invest upwards of $15,000-$20,000 in graphics cards (judging by your pictures) to assemble and run a mining operation. And your definition of "doing nothing at all" seems a bit fuzzy.
Also, I never said anything about video cards being over-priced. So you're shouting at the wall with that one.

And if you still feel the need to call me poor, I'd like to remind you this is a PC hardware forum not a board for trading capital investment ideas. If everyone built huge GPU farms like your's, then coin profitability would have plummeted ages ago.
You're welcome.

One more time, personal insults are way over the line. I may insult coins but I would never personally insult you or your choices, especially not on a community board like this. The mining debate has been a little hot around here but I'm disappointed to see the debate sink as low as it has in this thread and I'm partly to blame for that.

Alright - fair points.

First of all, I completely agree that the CapEx for mining is not a safe investment. In my case I had multiple things making this palapable - primarily being a direct connection through a VAR to South Korean shipping channels which got me most of my cards at roughly 5-6% above MSRP even at the peak when the 290's were selling for almost $700.

I'd like to point out that if I was truly a capitalist machocist I would have been buying those cards in bulk and reselling them on Amazon for the $250+ profit per card profit which would have been an even better "investment" in loose terms. Given that I was doing this for a personal hobby (I've built rigs in the past for crypto brute force cracking for clients) I took the dive and figured I'd just play with it and have some fun. Key word being "fun", because that's genuinely what it's all been about for me - I'm not mining for profit, it's just a pleasant bonus to my learning experience.

Secondly, I got quite a bit hot headed and decided to directly insult you, both personally and financially - this was very unprofessional and inappropriate and I have no way to defend this other than to apologize. It's quite uncharacteristic of me and I'm not sure what was in my morning coffee that brought that out.

Thirdly, you're absolutely right that were more people to be doing what I am doing it would hurt BOTH of us - less cards in circulation at higher prices (the primary argument point of this particular debate), as well as less profits from my particular hobby.

You realize 85mhash on Doge alone is $180 a day after electricity even with today's rates, right?

Also, yes, $15-25 a day was an intentional exaggerated jab. Kind of surprised you didn't get that.

I'm really not going to bother replying the the rest, I don't have to validate anything to you because I don't give a shit if you believe me or not - facts are facts, regardless.
Except they aren't; go read the calculator since you obviously can't do the math yourself. Which is probably why you may think you're making so much money in the first place (not being able to to elementary school math will do that to you). But yes, don't respond to my argument that just destroyed your chest-beating fantasy; it's much easier to ignore it so you don't feel bad.

Go find another forum where members are a little more naive and might believe your bullshit.

Except they aren't; go read the calculator since you obviously can't do the math yourself. Which is probably why you may think you're making so much money in the first place (not being able to to elementary school math will do that to you). But yes, don't respond to my argument that just destroyed your chest-beating fantasy; it's much easier to ignore it so you don't feel bad.

Go find another forum where members are a little more naive and might believe your bullshit.

Go plug the numbers into Coinwarz - the very site you listed. 85mhash @ .064 kWh = $197.85 /$179.42 as of the very minute I post this.

Sorry, but you might want to verify your argument before you try to call someone elses numbers out as being wrong. Maybe try using something other than an abacus this time.

Go plug the numbers into Coinwarz - the very site you listed. 85mhash @ .064 kWh = $197.85 /$179.42 as of the very minute I post this.

Sorry, but you might want to verify your argument before you try to call someone elses numbers out as being wrong. Maybe try using something other than an abacus this time.
The picture shows 44 290's, so is it yours or are you purposefully being obtuse so people can't call you on your bullshit? You need about 100 290's to get 85MHash, which is a ~$50K investment. Also, there's no way you have 100 290's running on only 0.64kWh, more like 20KWh at the least, which will cost you ~$90 a day across most of the U.S (and piss off your power company). Again, you're only making $90 profit that has to eat away a $50,000 initial investment. Like I said, you can't bullshit people that have actually done this and succeeded.

The picture shows 44 290's, so is it yours or are you purposefully being obtuse so people can't call you on your bullshit? You need about 100 290's to get 85MHash, which is a ~$50K investment. Also, there's no way you have 100 290's running on only 0.64kWh, more like 20KWh at the least, which will cost you ~$90 a day across most of the U.S (and piss off your power company). Again, you're only making $90 profit that has to eat away a $50,000 initial investment. Like I said, you can't bullshit people that have actually done this and succeeded.

You're trying so hard, I really feel bad for you. Allow me to educate you.

First of all, I don't recall ever saying those were everything. That pile of boxes is literally just the pile I haven't moved from my den yet. I'm running about 80 R9 290's which net > 72mhash alone, and a large number of 290x's mixed between XFX and Tri-X OC's running another 15mhash.

80 * 430 = $34,400
15 * 525 = $7,875

Total CapEx in video cards = $42,275.

Midwestern electricity during winter is 8.8 cents per kWh for the first 600 kWh, then 6.4 cents for each kWh after that with no cap. I validated all of this with my utility company when they came out to upgrade my service after I started running more than 30 rigs (they did so for free, since it's a publicly owned utility company).

My cards are flashed to modified bios, running roughly 50-60% less electricity. Entire setup is only pushing 15,000w consistent.

I'm sorry to break it to you, especially given how emotionally distraught this appears to have made you, but just because I'm geographically situated in a superior situation as you does not mean it isn't true.

You're trying so hard, I really feel bad for you. Allow me to educate you.

First of all, I don't recall ever saying those were everything. That pile of boxes is literally just the pile I haven't moved from my den yet. I'm running about 80 R9 290's which net > 72mhash alone, and a large number of 290x's mixed between XFX and Tri-X OC's running another 15mhash.

80 * 430 = $34,400
15 * 525 = $7,875

Total CapEx in video cards = $42,275.

Midwestern electricity during winter is 8.8 cents per kWh for the first 600 kWh, then 6.4 cents for each kWh after that with no cap. I validated all of this with my utility company when they came out to upgrade my service after I started running more than 30 rigs (they did so for free, since it's a publicly owned utility company).

My cards are flashed to modified bios, running roughly 50-60% less electricity. Entire setup is only pushing 15,000w consistent.
So let's plug all that in since you neglected to do so: http://www.coinwarz.com/calculators...0000&er=0.00000105&btcer=439.03000000&hc=0.00

Wow, assuming things stay consistent on your already perfected numbers (convenient), you might make $5,000 at the end of an entire year of mining. Yeah, that's mint. :rolleyes:
I'm sorry to break it to you, especially given how emotionally distraught this appears to have made you, but just because I'm geographically situated in a superior situation as you does not mean it isn't true.
Don't try to project your failures on to me:
Secondly, I got quite a bit hot headed and decided to directly insult you, both personally and financially - this was very unprofessional and inappropriate and I have no way to defend this other than to apologize. It's quite uncharacteristic of me and I'm not sure what was in my morning coffee that brought that out.
You're the only one who's upset and emotional here, as you already admitted, and which is understandable since you've been caught red-faced in your nonsense. Like I said, having done mining when it was very productive I can call you on your bullshit facade. Heck, anyone who can do simple math can call you on it.

izusaga, with all due respect, for someone who was responding to so-called anti miner rage, you sure do seem like an angry person. Just so you know, the only anti mining rage that i've seen was a post several pages ago stating "fuck miners" by the poster qdem7. That's literally the only anti mining rage post that i've seen in this entire thread, and that comment does not have merit because mining on one card is not profitable to an appreciable extent.

My comment was related to the fact that mining has died down enough to the point that prices are returning to normalcy. Which I consider a good thing. If you want to mine on 90 290 cards, though, have at it. I really don't care. It does not upset me. I just don't get why you're so angry, especially when your original comment was about supposed "anti mining rage". I think the vast majority of folks don't care. Honestly, it doesn't even affect me. I'm not out trying to buy AMD cards. Don't give a fuck. But I think it's great that AMD fans are NOW able to buy cards at their intended MSRP levels - and these newfound prices are also driving nvidia GPU sales. I've seen custom 290s at 420-440$ and custom 780s on sale for 450$. It's a win-win for everyone on the buying market. That was my only comment on the matter. I have no rage because I don't care, and I have not and am not trying to buy AMD GPUs.

You need to seriously read some of the posts you've made over the past two pages. Dude. Come on. You seem like you have the potential to be a reasonable level headed poster, but you're just getting silly here.

Last edited:
AMD-Radeon-R9-295X2-Project-Hydra-850x473.jpg

http://videocardz.com/50130/exclusive-amd-radeon-r9-295x2-preview

SO it's a 120mm fan. Would fit in a Corsair 250D then since it can hold a 240m cooler, and the front fan is 140m?

So here is the card. Reviews coming on April 8th.

WCCFTECH found some Bioshock Infinite 4K benchmarks.

Don't know why everyone is so angry who posted above me. Can't we all just bask in the glory of new technology?

Here's something to discuss though. Why is this card significantly faster than 290x CrossfireX and 780ti SLI?

If it can do all that on 375watts I'll be very highly impressed!

Videocardz has slides showing a 500watts TDP, but still only 8pin + 8pin.

Something is not adding up. :confused:

If it can do all that on 375watts I'll be very highly impressed!

Videocardz has slides showing a 500watts TDP, but still only 8pin + 8pin.

Something is not adding up. :confused:

You can draw more than the ATX spec from an 8-pin peg connector. I have drawn a little over 500watts (Card alone) from my GTX 780 Lightning heavily overclocked with only two 8-pin peg connectors.

You can draw more than the ATX spec from an 8-pin peg connector. I have drawn a little over 500watts (Card alone) from my GTX 780 Lightning heavily overclocked with only two 8-pin peg connectors.

Yes, it possible, similar to running a single 2x8pin cable from a psu capable of running a 3x or 4x card setup (ie: evga 1350 supernova). It's possible, but for a company to bring out a product going over atx spec seems like asking for trouble.

Yes, it possible, similar to running a single 2x8pin cable from a psu capable of running a 3x or 4x card setup (ie: evga 1350 supernova). It's possible, but for a company to bring out a product going over atx spec seems like asking for trouble.

I agree. Eagerly awaiting the reviews -- going straight to power consumption :eek:

hardly make sense that it beats 290x CF by 15% (50vs 57) with a 19mhz clock increase.
290x throttling as usual?

hardly make sense that it beats 290x CF by 15% (50vs 57) with a 19mhz clock increase.
290x throttling as usual?
Remove the throttling and the difference is about 6% going by this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-driver-fix,3666-3.html

edit // With old drivers it's 11%.

Seems to be worst case scenario and it's only one benchmark.
Add in the small overclock for an extra few %.

I don't know, can't reach 15% by any stretch.
Maybe some other kind of optimizations on the card/GPU ... ? It's been 6 months after all. I'm talking out of my ass now though.

just take 2x 290 numbers minus 10-15% and there are your numbers for the new card,
now if they put 4 cores on one card and doubled the ram, that would be something to get excited about

^4 290X GPUs on one card. Yeah. That won't happen, ever. More VRAM also doesn't increase performance, so I fail to see how more VRAM over 4GB would be exciting.. VRAM is there for increased anti aliasing in conjunction with higher resolution. It does not increase performance. It allows more assets, more anti aliasing, and more modding. Framerate does not increase if you double VRAM. So the point of 8GB? Moot for 99.9999999999999% of gamers. You have a few misconceptions there.

By the way, the rumors seem to indicate that 295X2 is faster, not slower, than 290X crossfired. We'll see on the 8th I guess.

^4 290X GPUs on one card. Yeah. That won't happen, ever.
yeah obviously, they would need to make a lot better gpu

More VRAM also doesn't increase performance, so I fail to see how more VRAM over 4GB would be exciting.. Moot for 99.9999999999999% of gamers. You have a few misconceptions there.
640K ought to be enough for anyone

By the way, the rumors seem to indicate that 295X2 is faster, not slower, than 290X crossfired. We'll see on the 8th I guess.
if it is faster than 290 crossfire, it won't be by much, might be a few mhz higher on the core

Lol at mining being a good investment, real world business roi on capital is in the thousands of percentage points (or even tens of thousands) getting $150 a day after investing $20,000 and having to replace all of that on an annual basis is a good investment if you have no imagination or business acumen.

That's a hybrid cooler isn't it? (Er not really what I was thinking. There are more pics on TPU.)

Radeon-R9-295X2-Nude-635x409.jpg

If I wasn't already running 290X Crossfire I'd get one of these just because it'd run nearly silent with the hybrid cooler. That is one sexy card tho.

Last edited:
Wow, assuming things stay consistent on your already perfected numbers (convenient), you might make $5,000 at the end of an entire year of mining. Yeah, that's mint. :rolleyes:

I prefer the calculator at BitcoinWisdom which allows for difficulty increase estimation. But with that said, we're assuming that he's A) selling coins at current value. If he's not and is hoarding, it's a possibility that he could make significantly more depending when he cashes out.

Back