• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

R580 new pics/specs

HopePoisoned said:
initial investment not worth it under the circumstances that morris' law claims in 18 months it will be worth half as much if sold new

Looks like a re-worded Moore's Law
 
HopePoisoned said:
initial investment not worth it under the circumstances that morris' law claims in 18 months it will be worth half as much if sold new

I generally don't recommend videocards as investments
 
HopePoisoned said:
initial investment not worth it under the circumstances that morris' law claims in 18 months it will be worth half as much if sold new

HA 18 months? Try 3

I paid $460 a couple months ago for the 7800Gt, now it can be had for less than 300 :eek:
 
realistically, retail price - 40% = used selling price within 6 months.
 
HopePoisoned said:
initial investment not worth it under the circumstances that morris' law claims in 18 months it will be worth half as much if sold new
Doesn't mean it won't work well in 18 months and sold for half the price.
 
i dont know what so many of you are complainig about.
I paid 250 for my 6800 over a year ago, now its 200...
:eek:

but yeah, i want to see some benchies of this.
and then i want [H] to do a review of THIS card vs the 512!
 
I hate to pop any bubbles but I was hoping an updated ATI chipset and mobo would be out with this new card and I might be inclined to switch but from what I have been seeing and hearing the 7900GTX is clocked higher than the X1900 and I think we all know that ATI has always had to have higher clocks compared to NV but when you clock an NV card up it scales a wee bit better look at the OC versions of 256GTX's comapred to XT's.

Sorry just really skeptical at this point I would love a sweet ATI mobo with xfire nice integrated sound great options and stability but the odds are looking bad now.
 
all of you have to stop and think for one second
would ati really release the r580 if it didnt have a significant performance increase over the r520?
 
Would Intel have released the Prescott if it didn't significantly increase performance over Northwood? Oh wait, it didn't. There's a lot more that goes into GPU design than performance...the R580 may have better yields, lower power consumption, etc that make producing it over R520 advantageous for ATI besides performance. R580 should be faster than R520, but we will see. Prescott was supposed to get to over 5GHz too ...
 
HopePoisoned said:
initial investment not worth it under the circumstances that morris' law claims in 18 months it will be worth half as much if sold new
Most cars are worth half as much as they were new in less time than that...and we still keep buying them.
 
DougLite said:
Would Intel have released the Prescott if it didn't significantly increase performance over Northwood? Oh wait, it didn't. There's a lot more that goes into GPU design than performance...the R580 may have better yields, lower power consumption, etc that make producing it over R520 advantageous for ATI besides performance. R580 should be faster than R520, but we will see. Prescott was supposed to get to over 5GHz too ...

i believe intel released the prescott because northwood wouldnt scale much higher =p the 6xx series of prescott cpus are pertty impressive too

also its not so easy to compare cpu market to high end videocard market as even with prescott initially sucking Intel will still sell them and won't lose much of their oem market =p

a better example for you to have used woulda been 5xx cpu vs 6xx cpu not a big improvment in perf but power consumption / heat was a big factor in the change over
 
But neverheless you see that a chip maker would have motivation for releasing a new chip even if it just holds the line on performance.
 
I would agree but the market wouldn't follow the companie's line of thinking unless it was just advertised as such and even then, frankly, who wants to pay more for a new generation when the last generation performed just as well.

I mean even if the power consumption and heat were a big factor, since the performance wasnt any better there's a reason why the new yielded cores cant hit a high enough speed to trump the old cards... And what's another 15*C to most GPU users? Realistically, doing this type of rehash unless it's just a refresh rather than a new release (I.E. X800XTPE ->X800XTPE "ICE EDITION"... basically a gimmick for enthusiasts... with the same performance and better cooling capabilities) would be disasterous for either NV or ATI at this time.

I mean imagine if Nvidia came out with the NV71 and it was just a better cooled core than the NV70 when ATI brings out that new 48 pipe core... ATI would just rape the pants off of NV till the next new cores come out, in performance. I just dont see how this is a realistic possibility in either scenario, personally.

~Adam
 
Guys it doesn't matter what side of the fence your on this is going to be a dream year for hardware

R580= 48 pipes
G71= 32 hard pipes
G80= ???????? pipes
R600= 64 unified pipes
Blu ray
HD DVD
Yonah
Merom
Conroe
Vista
Oled keyboards. :eek:
 
$BangforThe$ said:
Guys it doesn't matter what side of the fence your on this is going to be a dream year for hardware

R580= 48 pipes
G71= 32 hard pipes
G80= ???????? pipes
R600= 64 unified pipes(rumor has it at 96 pipes my sisters husband says 64)
Blu ray
HD DVD
Yonah
Merom
Conroe
Vista
Oled keyboards. :eek:
Oh what a wonderful year .
 
Everyone seems to be talking about the x1900xt(x)...but so far I haven't heard much about an x1900xl. Any word on how fast it might be, how it might be different from the xtx, et cetera?

For that matter, I'm curious as to how an x1800xt would compare to an x1900xl. Hmm... :eek:
 
DougLite said:
Would Intel have released the Prescott if it didn't significantly increase performance over Northwood? Oh wait, it didn't. There's a lot more that goes into GPU design than performance...the R580 may have better yields, lower power consumption, etc that make producing it over R520 advantageous for ATI besides performance. R580 should be faster than R520, but we will see. Prescott was supposed to get to over 5GHz too ...

Intel openly said prescott would not offer any performance advantages over prescott.
 
Shorehn said:
Everyone seems to be talking about the x1900xt(x)...but so far I haven't heard much about an x1900xl. Any word on how fast it might be, how it might be different from the xtx, et cetera?

For that matter, I'm curious as to how an x1800xt would compare to an x1900xl. Hmm... :eek:

from what I hear, look at how the x1300pro fairs against the x1600xt ;)
 
Shorehn said:
Everyone seems to be talking about the x1900xt(x)...but so far I haven't heard much about an x1900xl. Any word on how fast it might be, how it might be different from the xtx, et cetera?

For that matter, I'm curious as to how an x1800xt would compare to an x1900xl. Hmm... :eek:

Well, if there is going to be a midrange part based on the X1900XTX- ie an X1900XLX??
Then I got to wonder what ATI was doing with the whole X1300, X1600 and X1800 numbering system. I mean- if there's going to be refreshes of the mid and low range parts, too...what kind of numbering will that end up being? X1350, X1650? or X1400, X1700? People who are easily confused will become suicidal when forced to determine if an X1400 is faster or slower than an X1600.

I'm thinking that the X1900XTX will be a new flagship part, and while there may be an "XL" variant, I wouldn't count on it. Plus- The Register hasn't paperlaunched it.
 
yevaud said:
Well, if there is going to be a midrange part based on the X1900XTX- ie an X1900XLX??
Then I got to wonder what ATI was doing with the whole X1300, X1600 and X1800 numbering system. I mean- if there's going to be refreshes of the mid and low range parts, too...what kind of numbering will that end up being? X1350, X1650? or X1400, X1700? People who are easily confused will become suicidal when forced to determine if an X1400 is faster or slower than an X1600.

I'm thinking that the X1900XTX will be a new flagship part, and while there may be an "XL" variant, I wouldn't count on it. Plus- The Register hasn't paperlaunched it.


from what I have heard, there is basically a 1900 series, and a 1700 series coming out. Nothing else
 
I don't see why there wouldn't be an XL 1900 series card. For that matter, I'd love to see a 1900 series All-In-Wonder card.

Well, at least, that's what I'm hoping for. A XL could turn out to be a great option for those whose budgets fall short of an XTX. And an AIW with 1900 series power, which finally ditches the old Theater 200 chip in favor of the 550...I'd snatch that up in a heartbeat.
 
hm..... so we have yet more "leaks" and no official numbers. hopefully ati can get back on track. the x1000 was a serious dissappointment. for me? bang for buck matters most. i believe that sli 7800gts give the most performance for less than the price of the now inflated 512gtx? correct if i'm wrong? now if we can get x1800xl crossfire for less than $800 including the crossfire motherboard, then ati gets my $
 
Xeero said:
bang for buck matters most. i believe that sli 7800gts give the most performance for less than the price of the now inflated 512gtx? correct if i'm wrong? now if we can get x1800xl crossfire for less than $800 including the crossfire motherboard, then ati gets my $

If bang for your buck is your concern, then you will shy away from buying an X1800XL and do crossfire. The X800X* master card is similar to the XT, and there is only one card. And with that comes an XT price. Its like buying a corvette and lopping off two cylendars and then putting a small turbo on it.
 
For both nV and ATI we are just talking product refreshes, albeit powerful ones. I think the true "nextgen" will start with R600/G80, combining unified architectures with DDR4. If you must have the best then go ahead and upgrade, otherwise I think now is a time to wait and see.
 
covertclocker said:
If bang for your buck is your concern, then you will shy away from buying an X1800XL and do crossfire. The X800X* master card is similar to the XT, and there is only one card. And with that comes an XT price. Its like buying a corvette and lopping off two cylendars and then putting a small turbo on it.

so the sli 7800gt route would be recommended?
 
ManicOne said:
For both nV and ATI we are just talking product refreshes, albeit powerful ones. I think the true "nextgen" will start with R600/G80, combining unified architectures with DDR4. If you must have the best then go ahead and upgrade, otherwise I think now is a time to wait and see.

This man is wise beyond his years. ;)
 
Shorehn said:
I don't see why there wouldn't be an XL 1900 series card. For that matter, I'd love to see a 1900 series All-In-Wonder card.

Well, at least, that's what I'm hoping for. A XL could turn out to be a great option for those whose budgets fall short of an XTX. And an AIW with 1900 series power, which finally ditches the old Theater 200 chip in favor of the 550...I'd snatch that up in a heartbeat.

X1900 variations: XTX (flagship), XT (slightly lesser clockspeeds), AIW (goes without saying).
Expect the AIW card to come out later but it is coming...
 
"Sapphire was showing several interesting new products under NDA. We couldn't provide pictures, but the new ATI video card will be launching soon. Vendors tell us that they already have GPUs and completed cards this time around and therefore, product will be on the shelves at launch. Specifications hint that this may well be the new top-end video card, outperforming even the 7800GTX 512, which appeared in small quantities in what nVidia is now calling "limited release", and which has now disappeared from the market."

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2669&p=9
 
Yeah, I'd be intrested in knowing just how much faster than 512 GTX. nVidia may address this through a driver release, if the performance isn't that much greater, say under 20%.

It's a bit early in the year for new products from the GPU vendors. They usually don't announce new stuff till spring but it looks as though X1900 will be here for certain in a couple of weeks, so that's a little suprising. I guess ATI has something to prove when it comes to launches now.

There's a lot going on this year, with Windows Vista coming out I wonder how many launches there are going to be this year. It could be as many as three major launch periods for both ATI and nVidia.

I guess I'm going to wait for the dust to settle a little before my next upgrade. Hopefully, 512 GTX SLI can be me though the end of the year!
 
I am glad I waited past the X1800.
Now I have to save a bit more money so I can buy me a X1900 with lots of X's behind it!

e-penis will grow much larger! :D
 
sabrewolf732 said:
from what I have heard, there is basically a 1900 series, and a 1700 series coming out. Nothing else
You will continue to see the RV530 based cards as they use the new core design (3 shaders per pipe) like the R580 will.
 
sabrewolf732 said:
from what I have heard, there is basically a 1900 series, and a 1700 series coming out. Nothing else
Yeah, but the question is WHEN on those 1700s.

Will they wait 6 months like ATI did with the 1600? Seems crazy *to* wait if they have the cards ready.

On the other hand, the X1600XTs only just became actually you-can-buy-it-available a couple weeks back. Putting the 1700s out already would kill manufacturer investment in the previous chip, unless it was pin-compatible.
 
R1ckCa1n said:
You will continue to see the RV530 based cards as they use the new core design (3 shaders per pipe) like the R580 will.

1700 supposed to be 8x3 and 256 bit I think, based on rumors of course. Or might even just be 256 bit, dont remember :p
 
1700 supposed to be 8x3 and 256 bit I think, based on rumors of course. Or might even just be 256 bit, dont remember

first mid range card refresh to beat out the previous flagship?!?! MAYBE SO! haha if its 8-1-3-1 with a 256bit mem buss (a 512 ring bus) this would give a head ache to the X1800XL's if its clocked anywhere close to it

can't wait to see what this is priced, if its anywhere close to those spec's and costs under $300, wow, just wow
 
sabrewolf732 said:
1700 supposed to be 8x3 and 256 bit I think, based on rumors of course. Or might even just be 256 bit, dont remember :p

Given that the 1600 is 4x3, I'd buy 8x3 pretty easily.

I don't see the midrange moving beyond 128-bit memory access, though, especially with ATI's 256-bit "ring bus" and how 'cheap' highly clock ram is vs the cost of a PCB redesign w/ additional layers.
 
There's a lot going on this year, with Windows Vista coming out I wonder how many launches there are going to be this year. It could be as many as three major launch periods for both ATI and nVidia.

Dont forget Socket M2! lol
 
Over 10,000? :eek: Every time I hear about supposed benchmarks from the x1900 series it makes me wish I knew all the info about it. Knowing for sure when it'd launch would be great :p

The only thing I don't like about benchmarks like these in general is that they always seem to use a top-of-the-line processor. I've got to wonder how an R580 might fare on a processor like my Opteron 148, or even if it might be limited by the CPU at all... :confused:
 
dderidex said:
Given that the 1600 is 4x3, I'd buy 8x3 pretty easily.

I don't see the midrange moving beyond 128-bit memory access, though, especially with ATI's 256-bit "ring bus" and how 'cheap' highly clock ram is vs the cost of a PCB redesign w/ additional layers.

imho, memory bandwidth is whats limiting the x1600xt now.
 
Back
Top