PS5 Digital Edition Poll

How would you prefer the PS5 Digital Edition be configured?

• Same SSD capacity as disk version at a lower price.

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • More SSD capacity as the disk version at the same price.

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Significantly more SSD capacity as the disk version at a significantly higher price.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Less SSD capacity as the disk version at a significantly lower price.

• Other - I'll explain below

• No opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
Just taking a quick tally of configuration and cost thoughts on the PS5 Digital Edition vs the disk based version.

how much of a price difference?...I already have a 4K Blu-ray player so Digital is the one for me...

Reactions: T4rd
like this
how much of a price difference?...I already have a 4K Blu-ray player so Digital is the one for me...
Obviously we don't know. But I would say not having the BD drive and paying licensing would save $50 off the cost. Then if you wanted the digital with a larger drive it might be $50 more than disc version.

Obviously we don't know. But I would say not having the BD drive and paying licensing would save $50 off the cost. Then if you wanted the digital with a larger drive it might be $50 more than disc version.

hopefully the Digital version just removes the disc drive and doesn't gimp any of the other features/hardware...buying the Digital version also rules out your ability to trade in games so that's another factor

hopefully the Digital version just removes the disc drive and doesn't gimp any of the other features/hardware...buying the Digital version also rules out your ability to trade in games so that's another factor
Rules out the ability of finding cheap older physical copies as well, which can be nice in the rare occasion of a game being removed from the store. I think a few Activision games have had that happen after licenses expire, Deadpool I believe was one and I think Transformers (the one made by Platinum).

I would prefer more drive space at the close to the same price. If we're talking about unchained artists in this generation then game sizes are going to explode. 2TB would only be enough for 20'ish games as it is right now.

I am on the fence about getting the disc vs digital edition. I don't really need the 4k UHD disc player since I have one already, but I have bought way more disc based games than digital ones on my consoles. I just get better deals with the Disc based games all the time (not used either but new disc based games). Discs also get discounted earlier than digital and you don't have to have that whole subscribe to PS+ to get a discount either. But I do really dislike the whole disc dongle thing. The trade in thing doesn't even apply to me, I tried it once for a game I didn't really like and I just laughed telling them I might as well just keep it for the offered price. Pointing on the shelf where it was being sold at 3x-4x what they offered to me.

For me, it's all going to come down to price. I don't really care about storage space as long as I can re-download things at will. I think I'd probably rather save some $ up front.
Then again, I probably could use a 4K Blu-Ray player. It's going to come down to $ either way. If they're the same price, I'll get the disk one even if the digital model has a larger drive.

I'm already all digital on all of my consoles, but I also don't have a 4K Blu Ray player yet since I always just stream/download my movies. If the digital only console it will only like $50 less with the same storage, I'll probably just get the disc version anyways.

I'm going to go ahead and predict the digital version at $500 and the disk version at $550 or $600 though. But I'm guessing Sony is going to wait out until MS announces their pricing before deciding on theirs, which is probably MS's strategy as well, hah. So they'll both wait until the last minute to announce pricing prolly.

I just get better deals with the Disc based games all the time (not used either but new disc based games). Discs also get discounted earlier than digital and you don't have to have that whole subscribe to PS+ to get a discount either. But I do really dislike the whole disc dongle thing. The trade in thing doesn't even apply to me, I tried it once for a game I didn't really like and I just laughed telling them I might as well just keep it for the offered price. Pointing on the shelf where it was being sold at 3x-4x what they offered to me.

Not from what I've seen on the PSN store, same discounts in retail stores usually, if not always apply on the PSN store as well, plus there's constant sales on the PSN store that don't appear in retail stores, all without needing a PS+ sub, which actually rarely gives me a better discount on top of the regular sales. I've seen good PS4 exclusives (Horizon Zero Dawn, Until Dawn, TLoU Remastered, just to name a few) on the PSN store for as little as $6, which I doubt you'll see in any retail store unless it's used. So unless you like to trade your games constant, which as you pointed out rarely if worth it unless you do it privately.

Reselling games is something I do when done, so this is a bummer. And you can get physical games cheap because they need to sell them. While Steam has great sales on PC games I don't know if we see equal quality of sales on PSN. Going all digital will likely cost us all more money, even though publishers are saving big bucks.

I usually sell my systems whenever the next one comes out. It's kind of a tough sell when people ask "what games do you have with it?" and I have to answer with "none that you can have."
Doesn't change my opinion of digital purchases, but it has probably cost me a couple hundred bucks over the years.

I have gigabit internet, don't use optical media for anything and i don't need the space. I also only play 2 games max at a time so I'd take it cheaper up front with the same space for sure.

Reselling games is something I do when done, so this is a bummer. And you can get physical games cheap because they need to sell them. While Steam has great sales on PC games I don't know if we see equal quality of sales on PSN. Going all digital will likely cost us all more money, even though publishers are saving big bucks.
Sony actually has a ton of sales throughout the year with a lot hitting 75% or more off. My friend just got Dark Souls 3 deluxe edition for $14 I think (obviously the markdown is from the original MSRP)

I think steam probably still has more or better quality sales, but PSN is no slouch on digital sales especially since they aren’t quite as much a juggernaut to push around publishers to drop price.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Some rumors on PS5 pricing came out recently. Prices I read are in Euros but they are typically the same as USD so I'm listing as USD.

Disc version $500. Digital version $400. Controllers $60. Headset $180. Wireless Remote $30. Web Cam $60.

*EDIT*
Just saw this was posted in news earlier today.

https://www.techpowerup.com/269181/...ailability-leaked-eur100-premium-for-bd-drive

499€ / 399€ converts to $563 / $450. Assuming the rumor is accurate, I wonder if Sony will go for parity and price in the US at $550 / $450 or if they will snub Europe and give us $399 / $499. Probably safe to assume the later, as you say, that's how it's always been.

In any event, these prices seem realistic to me. Obviously adding a disk drive is nowhere near $100 in material cost for Sony, but this moves makes sense. A diskless consoles leaves the potential for more profit on the software, which could help justify a greater loss on the hardware. Sony has a lot to gain by convincing people to save $100 and pass on the disks.

It also gives MS the opportunity to undercut them and launch at $399 AND include a disk drive. They haven't made mention yet of a diskless SKU, and the rumored lockhart is running a different race if the specs are to be believed. In any case, the fact that both MS are being so coy about price and release date when we're only 3-4 months away from their release window is pretty telling that both companies are looking to be aggressive this cycle, which is good for the consumer.

I don't prefer it at all. PSN Store prices are insane here. They have about a 25% markup over retail phyiscal game prices, so I'd be crazy to buy anything digital from them. PLus I still have every intention of using the PS as a bluray player.
If I even buy a PS5. Right now I'm not keen on the idea. Even if I do it will probably halfway through the product cycle so enough worthy exclusives are out to even warrant it.

I am getting the disc version for one reason alone Gamefly. I'll resubscribe to their service if they will be renting PS5 games, and given the rumors that the next gen games will have a steep $80 as the starting price for their regular editions, I'll be renting more than buying and only buying after significant price cuts happen (just like I did with the PS4). For me anyway, if I can rent from GF and save me one bad purchase that will already almost make up for the $100 price difference (assuming rumors are true of it being a $100 price difference).

499€ / 399€ converts to $563 / $450. Assuming the rumor is accurate, I wonder if Sony will go for parity and price in the US at $550 / $450 or if they will snub Europe and give us $399 / $499. Probably safe to assume the later, as you say, that's how it's always been.

In any event, these prices seem realistic to me. Obviously adding a disk drive is nowhere near $100 in material cost for Sony, but this moves makes sense. A diskless consoles leaves the potential for more profit on the software, which could help justify a greater loss on the hardware. Sony has a lot to gain by convincing people to save $100 and pass on the disks.

It also gives MS the opportunity to undercut them and launch at $399 AND include a disk drive. They haven't made mention yet of a diskless SKU, and the rumored lockhart is running a different race if the specs are to be believed. In any case, the fact that both MS are being so coy about price and release date when we're only 3-4 months away from their release window is pretty telling that both companies are looking to be aggressive this cycle, which is good for the consumer.
I understand what they convert to, but if you look at many consoles and games the Euro and USD amount are the same.

https://www.ign.com/articles/capcom-80-digital-game-sales-monster-hunter-world
Articles like this show that there really is demand for a digital only console. Maybe not among the [H] per se, but for a lot of console gamers at least.

More like when we can not go to a store due to human malware we buy digitally. I know this is an overexageration, but digital going up by 30% yea over year seems a lot and I'm sure covid helped there.

But I get the convenience from digital only as long as you do not want to resell your old games and have decent download speeds.

Some rumors on PS5 pricing came out recently. Prices I read are in Euros but they are typically the same as USD so I'm listing as USD.

Disc version $500. Digital version $400. Controllers $60. Headset $180. Wireless Remote $30. Web Cam $60.

*EDIT*
Just saw this was posted in news earlier today.

https://www.techpowerup.com/269181/...ailability-leaked-eur100-premium-for-bd-drive
I like the remote. Hopefully, the UHD Blu-Ray drive is capable of Dolby Vision and Atmos. If it is, along with a convenient remote, you could save the space and wiring for a stand alone player.

Some games get patched to shit after you buy the original game the main problem with the PS4 was the disk drive going bad in this case it's one less thing to go bad games really dont appreciate in value anymore not like the old SNES games where their were no updates to be applied to the game because the internet wasnt around back then.

If I wasn't in need of a UHD Blu-Ray player I'd definitely buy the digital-only model. Depending on what the final pricing and availability are like, I still might.
Hopefully those Amazon pre-orders go up soon. I've been through too many zany console releases and have zero desire to wait in lines or hammer nowinstock.net.

Some games get patched to shit after you buy the original game the main problem with the PS4 was the disk drive going bad in this case it's one less thing to go bad games really dont appreciate in value anymore not like the old SNES games where their were no updates to be applied to the game because the internet wasnt around back then.
Disc drive are generally easy fixes. I haven't heard a big issue with PS4 drives going bad.

I really feel like the disk drive option is going to be a poor option for most people. I think Sony is only doing it because they think they have to, because nobody wants to face the DRM backlash MS faced when they announced XO. Think about it... every PS5 game requires the SSD, meaning every physical copy needs to be installed in it's entirety on the console. We're talking about games where 50-100GB (or more) is going to be the new normal. Install times off a disc are going to be annoyingly long, meaning the fastest way to play any new games will be digital with a preload. The long installs will be counter-productive to things like bringing a game to a buddies. Likewise your not saving premium storage space on your console. The only benefit is the ability to lend and sell your games, and that market is dying.

As a 4K BR player, I'd tread lightly. Game consoles traditionally make for poor movie players. The Xbox One is a terrible 4K BR player, just about any standalone player is a better experience. Xbox doesn't handle bitstream audio well, and does goofy things like trying to convert everything to one audio format. So, for example, if you're set to bitstream out Atmos, Xbox makes everything Atmos, even if it doesn't support it. This doesn't work well, and even sometimes the Xbox fails to pass actual Atmos in favor of it's own Atmos upmixing.

I like the remote. Hopefully, the UHD Blu-Ray drive is capable of Dolby Vision and Atmos. If it is, along with a convenient remote, you could save the space and wiring for a stand alone player.

I think you can say with certainty that it will support both. I'd still tread lightly, see my example above about the Xbox's "support" of Atmos. Not saying PS5 will have the same problem, but it's something I'd want to investigate. If the disk drive model is $100 more as rumored, IMO you're better off putting that $100 towards a standalone player (unless your willing to wait until people have this in-hand and take a closer look into how well this plays movies)

If I wasn't in need of a UHD Blu-Ray player I'd definitely buy the digital-only model. Depending on what the final pricing and availability are like, I still might.
Hopefully those Amazon pre-orders go up soon. I've been through too many zany console releases and have zero desire to wait in lines or hammer nowinstock.net.

See above. If you're pre-ordering, and your only interest in the disk drive is for movies... I'd say give it a serious thought to if you are better off with a standalone player.

Do you just post whatever comes to your mind without any critical thought or research? That's what it seems like a lot of times in your posts here at least.

Hard drive failure wasn't a main problem of any console in the history of consoles, as it didn't happen any more in them than it does in any PC or laptop. And to your second point, comparing a 1-6 MB SNES game typically developed by a team of 2-12 people over 12-18 months, to any modern non-indie game that's exponentially larger and more complex in every conceivable way, in order to criticize their "value appreciation" (or whatever you meant to mean by that) doesn't hold up whatsoever.

I really feel like the disk drive option is going to be a poor option for most people. I think Sony is only doing it because they think they have to, because nobody wants to face the DRM backlash MS faced when they announced XO. Think about it... every PS5 game requires the SSD, meaning every physical copy needs to be installed in it's entirety on the console. We're talking about games where 50-100GB (or more) is going to be the new normal. Install times off a disc are going to be annoyingly long, meaning the fastest way to play any new games will be digital with a preload. The long installs will be counter-productive to things like bringing a game to a buddies. Likewise your not saving premium storage space on your console. The only benefit is the ability to lend and sell your games, and that market is dying.

The preload example is only good for games that you intend to buy before they launch though, else it would still be much faster to install the games off of a disk if you're on a pretty slow internet connection (say 10 Mb or less). Plus I would think they would implement the same feature they have on PS4 where you can start playing the game well before it's done installing, esp. if the SSD is fast enough to keep up with both the game and installing in the background. But I would think the optical drive would be a bit faster as well in order to negate some or most of the larger game install size.

As a 4K BR player, I'd tread lightly. Game consoles traditionally make for poor movie players. The Xbox One is a terrible 4K BR player, just about any standalone player is a better experience. Xbox doesn't handle bitstream audio well, and does goofy things like trying to convert everything to one audio format. So, for example, if you're set to bitstream out Atmos, Xbox makes everything Atmos, even if it doesn't support it. This doesn't work well, and even sometimes the Xbox fails to pass actual Atmos in favor of it's own Atmos upmixing.

I think you can say with certainty that it will support both. I'd still tread lightly, see my example above about the Xbox's "support" of Atmos. Not saying PS5 will have the same problem, but it's something I'd want to investigate. If the disk drive model is $100 more as rumored, IMO you're better off putting that $100 towards a standalone player (unless your willing to wait until people have this in-hand and take a closer look into how well this plays movies)

I'm planning on getting the disk version too since I haven't got a dedicated 4K BR player yet either, other than my Xbone X that my son dragged off to his room since I don't touch it anymore anyways. I thought the PS2 and PS3 made pretty good movie players though when I used them for it back in the day, esp with their dedicated remotes. I haven't rented or bought a physical movie in years now though, so movie playback quality isn't a huge priority for me as long as it works well enough for the rare occasion I might borrow or buy one now that I have a decent 4K TV to watch them on (65" C9 OLED) not too long ago. It'll just be a nice to have or "just in case" thing for me really and it might hold resale value a bit better than the digital version as well for when I sell it towards whatever mid-cycle "pro" console they come out with after a few years again, probably without a disk option at that point too.

A quick glance at UHD Blu-Ray players shows that even the low-end models are still around $200. Even if the disk version of the PS5 isn't a great solution for UHD disks, it's a cheaper solution for a format most people will never adopt. I only own 2 UHD disks and that's mainly because they cost the same as a normal Blu-Ray and even came with both disks. I'd like to be able to play those (and future disks I end up with under similar circumstances), but I don't necessarily care if it's the best option if it's cheap. The only thing that will make me think twice would be Atmos support. If it can't stream Atmos, at that point I'll probably just get the digital model and skip the UHD disk era. IMO, that's a much bigger differentiator than the a higher resolution picture.

Back