PS3 vs 360. Which is better?

I just recently sold my xbox 360 that i had since the first few months of it being out... loved it for a long time but for the past year it just sat there and collected dust.

in the past few months ive been in the process of upgrading my home theater equipment, and i have upgraded almost everything (new tv, receiver, speakers, subwoofer) and the ps3 would benefit me way more than my old 360 (didn't even have hdmi)

I picked up a ps3 slim with 7 games during the buy 2 get one free sale at gamestop (MSG4, uncharted 1/2, LBP, Katamari forever, Tekken, GTA4). I honestly haven't spent this much time gaming in a few years. Also i purchased about $30 in PSN games that are almost the only reason i bought this consol (pixel junk monsters, flow, eden, pixeljunk shooter)

For whoever says the PS3 online capabilities are bland and nowhere compared to 360, you forgot about a few things.

-PS3 Home - leaps ahead of the avatar system xbox uses. you can interact with the world, play games within the world, watch trailers and a lot of more interactive stuff.
-Life with playstation - global news channels, weather, folding@home
-Playstation store - tons of demos and tons and tons of arcade games.

I have had no issues playing uncharted and tekken online not even once. I agree that x360 is more organized and solid but ps3 isnt that far behind at all, and its free.

this is coming from a original PC gamer that had a 360 throughout the years.

I completely disagree on some points.

PS3 Home-Lame Second Life ripoff, an advertising hub for Sony and its partners, with avatars that have ZERO style or personality at all.

Life with Playstation-Been doing this on my Wii for a few years now. Not impressed.

PS Store-good storefront, but still, same deal as on 360 and Wii.

The problem with PSN, though, is that it's generally slow and not nearly as well organized or polished as Xbox Live. PSN is easily three years behind Live.

With that said, I'm very glad that I bought a PS3 Slim. It's a nice little system with some good games. I enjoyed MGS4 (just finished it a few days ago) and am working on the God of War series.

As I keep saying, at this point it's well worth your time to own BOTH systems.
 
The PS3 is only about 5 million behind the 360 in world sales so it's only a matter of time before it overtakes it as the #1 core gamer console. It was 9-10 Million behind in Q2 2009. This time next year the 360 will be #2, which is kinda sad since it came out a year earlier and was a lot cheaper for the first 3 years.
 
The PS3 is only about 5 million behind the 360 in world sales so it's only a matter of time before it overtakes it as the #1 core gamer console. It was 9-10 Million behind in Q2 2009. This time next year the 360 will be #2, which is kinda sad since it came out a year earlier and was a lot cheaper for the first 3 years.

how long have we been hearing this now? PS3 is only X units behind Xbox 360!!! By this time next year, PS3 will be teh winnar!!!!

and the difference is about 5.5 millions between the two.......
 
The PS3 is only about 5 million behind the 360 in world sales so it's only a matter of time before it overtakes it as the #1 core gamer console. It was 9-10 Million behind in Q2 2009. This time next year the 360 will be #2, which is kinda sad since it came out a year earlier and was a lot cheaper for the first 3 years.

This generation is inevitably going to last at least another 3 years. Microsoft's 3rd place finish seems manifest.
 
I own both Systems and for me my PS3 collects dust while my 360 gets played.

PS Home is a waste of time and I can’t find any use for it.

PSN store is cumbersome and isn’t user friendly however I have never had any issues with it, just takes longer to navigate then xbox live.

PS3 demos need not only be downloaded but installed and that is a pain/waste of time.

Some PS3 games need to be installed before you can play.

Game patches take longer to install then the same 360 game

If you plan on using the PS3 as a media extender the xbox beats it hands down with ease of use and it’s much faster at loading photos, music and videos from a home server.

PS3 uses more energy to run then the 360.

PS3 has two great games FAT Princess and Uncharted Two both of which doesn’t justify the costs of buying a PS3.

PS3 has bluray if you like buying $25-$40 movies.

So far I am disappointed in my purchase and would rather have only owned one console with a bluray player..


Hope this helps.
 
My PS3 is getting more playtime than my PC. That's saying something.
 
They both have mediocre collections. The amount of A titles they have doesnt even touch what the ps2 was sadly. They are both decent, thats all that can be said. PS3 does have built in wireless which saves you 90 dollars (or 20 bucks if you go the 54wrtg route). Plus built in blu ray. I have a 360 myself and I like it but if I had the choice to get a ps3 instead it would be a tough decision.

xbox live crushes ps3 though. There are some awesome nastalgia titles that were remade such as turtles, turtles in time and final fight...streets of rage 2. Its a ton of fun. The media center between your pc is pretty great. I like to listen to my own music while playing games.
 
This generation is inevitably going to last at least another 3 years. Microsoft's 3rd place finish seems manifest.

Do you ever consider such things as facts before you speak? Let's look at this:

When PS3 launched, Xbox 360 was about 10 million units ahead. PS3 did well, and in the summer of 2008 PS3 climbed to within 5,000,000 units of 360. Very impressive.

Then 360 got a price drop, and climbed back up to almost a 10,000,000 unit lead once again. Probably somewhere in the range of 9,000,000, give or take.

Then this year, PS3 and 360 both got price cuts/feature changes, and PS3 started doing well again, caught back up to within 5 million units. Sales continued on and somehow, 360 gained more ground again.

According to Sony's latest claims, PS3 has moved about 30 million units worldwide.

According to Microsoft's latest claims, 360 has moved about 39 million units worldwide.

According to VGChartz--who's accuracy is worthy of debate, but we'll use it, since it favors PS3 a bit--PS3 has shipped 31.59 million units worldwide (more than SONY'S official projections, mind you), while 360 has sits at 37.14 million units, almost 2 million LESS than Microsoft's official projections. Difference: 360 in the lead by 5.55 million units.

So, to sum it up, 360 remains, after 3 full years of direct competition, somewhere between 5 and 9 million units ahead of PS3, worldwide.

Who's third place finish seems manifest, again?
 
Wal-mart has Blu-Ray discs for $19.95. New ones too like Star Trek, HP, and The Hangover.

Still too expensive. If they were the exact same price or maybe $1 more as their DVD counterparts, we'd talk. Unless I already own the DVD of course-there's zero chance I'll rebuy ANY movie I already own on DVD, on bluray. Ever.
 
why? I thought each console generation was about 5-6 years... That really sucks.

Historically, you're exactly correct. This one may play out a little longer for a few reasons. First, there's very little reason to move to new hardware just yet. Second, developers are JUST getting a handle on current hardware, and a new wave of addons appears likely to bring new life to the existing consoles. Third, Sony and Microsoft have lost their asses (especially Sony) and are looking to recoupe those losses. Microsoft is now 2 years into turning a profit and will, at this rate, recoup their Xbox platform investments (including Xbox 1 and 360) in a couple more years, if they can keep the pace up. So far, all indications are that they can and will.

My bet, though, is that Nintendo will launch the next gen.
 
The PS3 is only about 5 million behind the 360 in world sales so it's only a matter of time before it overtakes it as the #1 core gamer console. It was 9-10 Million behind in Q2 2009. This time next year the 360 will be #2, which is kinda sad since it came out a year earlier and was a lot cheaper for the first 3 years.

I'm betting not. Watch for a price drop before summer, a blowout of Natal based stuff come E3, and a massive marketing push and hyping of Natal (whatever its final name ends up being)-which the public have *already* swallowed as the next Wii, hook, line and sinker-all of which will lead to 360 retaining the lead this year.

In a way it's sorta sad, because at least from what we know so far the PS3 seems to have a nicer software lineup this year, but there's something to be said about hype, great marketing and a clever new device.
 
actually I would say all 3 systems

have you seen the Wii's first party software sales? holy moly dude they sell a lot of mario games lol

I agree with you, I have developed a tendency to think of 360 and PS3 as one thing and Wii as another :). All three, though, are WELL worth ownership whether you're a casual or hardcore gamer.
 
yep. I've been playing quite a few games on my PS3

And all I play on the PC these days is DOTA and CS.. both games that are years old...

I'm the same too, pretty much only played dota on PC for the past year or 2 with my friends. We regularly play PS3 online though.
 
If you're even considering a PS3, get it. The new versions are slimer which is much better than the bulky xbox 360. You can watch blue rays not to mention if you have a netflix account stream videos.
 
They both have mediocre collections. The amount of A titles they have doesnt even touch what the ps2 was sadly.

This is so sadly true. I will go further and say that the exclusives of the last genneration (original Xbox and PS2) were shitloads better than what we have as exclusives today, comparitivly... This is one reason that I dont plan on getting rid of my PS2 untill and unless BC comes with FULL FUNCTIONALITY to the PS3

Still too expensive. If they were the exact same price or maybe $1 more as their DVD counterparts, we'd talk. Unless I already own the DVD of course-there's zero chance I'll rebuy ANY movie I already own on DVD, on bluray. Ever.

lol. your talking to the guy who buys 2for$5 bargain-bin DVDs or watches them from Netflix or redbox (which I hear is going to start renting BluRays) The only movies I've both int he last few years were either collectors-editions with extra discs (which were on sale) or were gifts. (I did buy my trekkie-father the new StarTrek movie on BD) But if I cant get it for "free" on netflix or $1 (or maybe $2 or even $3 for BD) from redbox, I'll wait untill I can.

I agree with you, I have developed a tendency to think of 360 and PS3 as one thing and Wii as another :). All three, though, are WELL worth ownership whether you're a casual or hardcore gamer.

That's because the PS3/360 are more the "hardcore gamer" console, while the wii is more casual/older/younger age (and is marketed as such too) I dont consider the wii in the same category as PS3/360 either (and I dissagree - unless your a Nintendo fanboy and want the Nintendo exclusives, I see the Wii as a waste. I'm waiting for a massive end-of-lifecycle price drop ANd the next LoZ game before I buy in. (only exclusive I want is the Zelda games))

If you're even considering a PS3, get it. The new versions are slimer which is much better than the bulky xbox 360. You can watch blue rays not to mention if you have a netflix account stream videos.

exact backwards - I have both and am trying to decide which one to get rid of if I have to... (and wheather to convery my game libary to PS3 instead of 360 for fear of RROD) though I agree the size is nice (it slides under the edge of my TV perfectly, while the 360 has to balance on the end of the shelf --- though I'll probably never be as impressed with size reduction as I am with my PS2 slim) I'm also not impressed with Netflix, it seems clunkier and slower on PS3. It's still certainly servicable (and I've used it for the last 3 days since I cant easily reach the HDMI cables and dont want to fight hooking 2 up right now) but I *really* prefer the 360 for netflix --- though the GBLG cost is pushing me away from it since I dont do any online gaming right now (basically paying the XBL fee JUST for netflix) though @ $20/year it's hard NOT to justify it also... :D
 
PS3 is a much better constructed console, is an awesome blu-ray player, has more reasonably priced peripherals, and has more creative / varied exclusive titles. Xbox has better online play and a larger online user base, but it's a pay service whereas PSN is free.
 
Wal-mart has Blu-Ray discs for $19.95. New ones too like Star Trek, HP, and The Hangover.

got all of those at $19 when they were released at target. They do it on release day only, then the price goes up.
 
PS3 is a much better constructed console, is an awesome blu-ray player, has more reasonably priced peripherals, and has more creative / varied exclusive titles. Xbox has better online play and a larger online user base, but it's a pay service whereas PSN is free.

negative on that one

my PS3 pops and grans (the plastics) as it heats up and cools down. my 360 does not do that. On rthe other hand my 360's faceplate does not fit on right either so I'd call it a wash....
 
negative on that one

my PS3 pops and grans (the plastics) as it heats up and cools down. my 360 does not do that. On rthe other hand my 360's faceplate does not fit on right either so I'd call it a wash....

So far my PS3 hasnt had any issues, but the USB door on my 360 doesnt close right (I'venot touched the faceplate for fear I wont be able to get it back on...) and I have a hellova time the few occasions I have had to remove the HD - it catches VERY bad and if I'm not very careful I have no doubt I'll damage it.
 
This is so sadly true. I will go further and say that the exclusives of the last genneration (original Xbox and PS2) were shitloads better than what we have as exclusives today, comparitivly... This is one reason that I dont plan on getting rid of my PS2 untill and unless BC comes with FULL FUNCTIONALITY to the PS3



lol. your talking to the guy who buys 2for$5 bargain-bin DVDs or watches them from Netflix or redbox (which I hear is going to start renting BluRays) The only movies I've both int he last few years were either collectors-editions with extra discs (which were on sale) or were gifts. (I did buy my trekkie-father the new StarTrek movie on BD) But if I cant get it for "free" on netflix or $1 (or maybe $2 or even $3 for BD) from redbox, I'll wait untill I can.



That's because the PS3/360 are more the "hardcore gamer" console, while the wii is more casual/older/younger age (and is marketed as such too) I dont consider the wii in the same category as PS3/360 either (and I dissagree - unless your a Nintendo fanboy and want the Nintendo exclusives, I see the Wii as a waste. I'm waiting for a massive end-of-lifecycle price drop ANd the next LoZ game before I buy in. (only exclusive I want is the Zelda games))



exact backwards - I have both and am trying to decide which one to get rid of if I have to... (and wheather to convery my game libary to PS3 instead of 360 for fear of RROD) though I agree the size is nice (it slides under the edge of my TV perfectly, while the 360 has to balance on the end of the shelf --- though I'll probably never be as impressed with size reduction as I am with my PS2 slim) I'm also not impressed with Netflix, it seems clunkier and slower on PS3. It's still certainly servicable (and I've used it for the last 3 days since I cant easily reach the HDMI cables and dont want to fight hooking 2 up right now) but I *really* prefer the 360 for netflix --- though the GBLG cost is pushing me away from it since I dont do any online gaming right now (basically paying the XBL fee JUST for netflix) though @ $20/year it's hard NOT to justify it also... :D

Good job being a cheapass on movies :D.

As for Wii, I simply can't agree it's a waste of money. There are a good 30 or so titles that are well worth having in any game library (and those are just the ones I know of), many of which are at bargain basement prices. Zelda is definitely a good reason to own the Wii (even Twilight Princess is, though I'd never say that ANY single game, if that's the only one you want, is worth the price of entry on ANY system). I bet you'll see Wii hit either $179 or $149 by the end of this year, keeping the momentum of the generation firmly in their court. I expect you'll see the 360 Arcade hit $149 as well, probably sooner than the Wii, actually.

I do have to agree, the PS2 slimming was the most impressive to date. As much as I like my PS3 slim, it just didn't slim as much as I'd hoped. Still, it's much more attractive than the ghetto fabulous fat model.
 
negative on that one

my PS3 pops and grans (the plastics) as it heats up and cools down. my 360 does not do that. On rthe other hand my 360's faceplate does not fit on right either so I'd call it a wash....

I have a slim and don't get any noises, but it does run very hot. My 360 also runs hot though.

And of course, since both PS3 and 360 are now made in the same factory, it's likely that any BUILD quality issues affecting one will also affect the other. DESIGN quality is another story.
 
Personally I think that with bluray players as cheap as they are right now, the 360 is the way to go. The PS3 just doesn't have as much in terms of exclusives. Drake's is a great game, but isn't (to me anyway) a system seller. MG is said to be coming to the 360, FF is coming to the 360. That really just leaves GT which I think Forza has surpassed (doesn't help the GT STILL isn't out yet). The dropping of backward compat was just a lame move and the slim is ugly as sin. Either way we are in a great console market right now, so honestly you can't lose with either. My personal recommendation would be the 360 though.
 
As you can see from the two posts above the PS3 is PACKED with exclusives that totally rock. In fact, they rock SO HARD you can't even SEE THEM. That is right. Their awesomeness has rendered them invisible. How about them apples Microsoft! :rolleyes:
 
Slim is more attractive? Not IMO, I think the slim PS3 is ugly.

To each his own. I think the fat PS3 is not only ugly as hell, but looks like cheap "Ghetto fabulous" furniture you sell to poor people who know so little about furniture they think they're "gettin' sumthin' fancy!". That glossy finish and giant silver letters is about as trashy as you can get.

Still, nothing holds a candle to Wii. It's the most elegant and attractive system this gen by a mile. Of course, that's because it's not high powered and doesn't need to be a monolith, but there ya go :).

If it makes you feel better, I think 360 is uglier than a cottage cheese ass too :D
 
PS3 is a much better constructed console, is an awesome blu-ray player, has more reasonably priced peripherals, and has more creative / varied exclusive titles. Xbox has better online play and a larger online user base, but it's a pay service whereas PSN is free.

I own both and this is exactly how I feel.
 
Personally I agree the 360 is far from elegant... though the right skin/case will go a long way to improve it. Likewise the Fat PS3 is fugly as sin (worse than the 360). I *do* like the looks of the PS3 Slim (but evne mroeso the PS2 slim) Though the curve atop it could have been left out... the Wii just looks... odd... like an extermal HD or seomthing, not a game console...
 
i personally feel that they are equal, both are better in different catagories
PS3 in my opinion is better for Sports games and single player games
while the XboX is better for FPS and has a better online paly.. I think Xbox Live trumps PS network in all aspects
 
Back
Top