Project: Stargate SG-1

Sobek

2[H]4U
In honor of my favorite television show, I am beginning my Stargate SG-1 themed case. Hopefully people who are familiar with the show can offer some imput. I have a ton of ideas for this case and am going to try and incorporate as many of them as possible over the course fo the project. I have included pictures (and the episodes I took them from) of what I plan to mod or build for those who are unfimilair with the show and to give a better idea of my plans.
I appreciate any help and feedback you can give me. This will take some time over the next month or two (work, time, funds) but I plan to be finished by the end of August.

I google-picture searched for hours to find some great pics that gave me more details than I could get from screen-caps. I've got tons and some 3D models too. This site has some of the best and most useful: http://www.stargate3d.fsnet.co.uk/
His main site: http://www.quantumss.freeserve.co.uk/
He does awesome work. A lot of his pictures I have set as my background. The mothership one is my favorite.

The system will be the same one that is in my sig but I will list it here again so that you don't have to scroll all the way down to read it.

IC7-G Max 2 Motherboard
2.4c P4 on Zalmon 7000CU
1 gig of Kingston HyperX PC3200
Windows XP Professional
Sapphire 9800 non-pro (has 3.3 samsung memory and can be flashed to pro settings)
Radeon 7500 PCI as second video card
Lite-On 48x24x48x16 Combo Drive (LTC-48161H)
Lite-On 4x DVD+/- RW (LDW-411S)
120gig (master) and 80gig (media) Seagater Baracuda IV's w/8mb cache
Soundblaster Audigy 2
Logitech z640 5.1 Speakers
Leadtec XP 2000 Deluxe TV Tuner
Enermax 460w PSU
Logitech Elite Black Keyboard
MS Intellipoint Optical 3.0 Mouse
Nostromo n50 Speedpad
Ratpadz GS
4 yr old Dell 17in Monitor (from previous PC) eventually replaced by NEC DP930 BK
Samsung 15in Monitor as 2nd display (preowned)

I plan on adding two 120gig (or larger) SATA drives in a RAID array for the OS and games. Since I am now finished with college (BA in History; FYI, Sobek is the ancient Egyptian (favorite history) crocodile headed god of the Nile) I don't need all those damn school apps and docs so it will be mainly for games and video recording/viewing.

I am ordering a Black Lian-Li PC-61 for the case since I love the look and hate my Current Frozen Acrylic one.

The case will be watercooled with the pump and possibly heatercore in an external enclosure. I have not settled on parts yet I am very open to suggestions in this area (no kits though).

External pump housing:

My idea for the pump is to place it inside a Naquada Generator. It will be hidden inside and the hoses will come out and run into the case so that it looks like it is trying to power it up (or the Stargate!) I want a pump powerful enough to cool an OC'd 2.4c and video card (haven't decided if I will cool the southbridge) while being mounted externally (like Cathar's Box). I am considering the Eheim 1250 but will take suggestions.

I took some screen caps of both versions of the Naquada Generator. The first version (seasons 3-7)(below) I think would be much more interseting looking and more fun to make. It also gives me room to possibly add things like power buttons, LCD display, and maybe a card reader. I would need some inexpensive buttons and info on how to wire them though. I could add a dual heatercore hidden somewhere in it as well so that there is more room in the Lian-Li. The Generator would possibly have a CCFL and/or EL wire for the parts that illiuminate. I was able to find some 3D model pics of this one as well which would greatly aid in its construction.
(pictures are from Ep 4x09 - Scorched Earth)

V1
Naquada Gen01.jpg

Naquada Gen02.jpg

Naquada Gen03.jpg

The new version of the Naquada Generator (season 7 and above) is smaller so it would take up less space.
However, it may be harder to make and looks more "alien" than the one above. I don't seem to prefer this one right now. I may make it later on for something else but not likely.
(pics from Eps 7x21/22 - Lost City)

V2
Naquada Gen04.jpg

Naquada Gen05.jpg

If I go with V1 I will need to find a case similar to the one above. I will also need to figure out what common materials to make it out of. I'm thinking plastic bowls, etc. I need suggestions here please or you can help me out by finding me a cheap case similar to this one.

Case

The case will be the highlight of the project and I have many ideas for it.
I am thinking of painting the inside a dark metallic gold so that it looks like the inside of a Goa'uld Hatac (mothership). I will fabricate the 3D looks of the walls and suppost braces using either aluminum or plexi. (advice?)
(eps. 1x21 - Within the Serpent's Grasp and 6x01 - Descent)

Hatac Walls 1.JPG

Hatac Walls 2.JPG

I am thinking of using this reservior
Ring Reservior.jpg

and will make some rings to go around it (suggestions please) so that it looks like the Transport Rings found on Goa'uld Ships. I could possibly add some LED's behind it to give it the effect that it is in the process of transporting someone. The first pic below also gives more details of the ship walls I want the inside of my case to look like. The last pic is of the controls used to operate the Transport rings and I could possibly make the power and restart buttons on the front look like this. I think I like them being placed in the Naquada Generator control section more though.

Transport Rings01.jpg

Transport Rings02.jpg

Ring Buttons.JPG

I am thinking of using blue UV dye in the WC tubes and covering some of the tubing in black wire sleeving so that they look like power cables. A UV CCFL hidden somewhere is obviously needed as well.

Even though you can't see the PSU in the PC-61, I am going to make the area in front of it appear to hold the power control crystals found in the engine room. This should make it appear more like the inside of the case is a Goa'uld Hatac.
(pic from Ep 7x22 - Lost City)

PC.JPG

I haven't decided on the side panels yet. I want to make a fully detailed and rotating Stargate, possibly out of aluminum. I have yet to figure out exactly how though. I would like to be able to see through the center like it was an active gate but that wouldn't be enough to show all the other details inside. I am considering having it an inactive gate where the window is pretty much the entire panel except for a huge Stargate in the middle.

I could make two of them and put the other one on the Motherboard side except it would only have the window in the middle of the Stargate like it was activated. Having 9 orange LED's for each of the Chevrons would be nice and give it more realism but I have little experiance in wiring LED's and it may not be practical to make happen.

Replicator Model

The top of the case I think will be one of the coolest parts. I plan on making a model of a Replicator and have it placed on top of the case so that it appears like it is trying to get inside.

Replicator.jpg

Replicator's are composed of many individual blocks that come together to form "bugs". The pic above is the most common type and the one I want to make.

Replicator Block.jpg

I already began testing out different methods of making them. The first was out of some scrap wood framing I had but it didn't work well. I then tried cutting 1/8in thick plexi which worked pretty well but took a while to get the right shape. I didn't bother to cut the groves for it. I was messing around and went over one side with a sharpie adn it looked pretty good but I won't do this to the actual model. I need to make a few adjustments since mine is a little thinner than it should be.
Replicator Test Block.jpg

Some other ideas I have but may not do until the above are finished:

A small LCD (PSOne LCD probably) made to look like the Quantum Mirror in Eps. 1x19 - There But For the Grace of God and 3x06 - Point of View. The Mirror was capable of sending a person to one of infinite alterante realities (like the show Sliders but both ideas were copied from the Star Trek (TOS) episode Mirror, Mirror which probably came from a short story or something).

The n50 Speedpad painted to look like a Goa'uld Hand Device. (worried this might not look so good)

Mouse painted to look like an Asguard communicator or the Goa'uld page turning device and tablet (mouse pad). (post pics of examples later)

Could cover part of case with vinyl applique like Icewind's Blue Fantasy 2. Have some awesome Desktop wallpapers from Ed Giddings' site (above) that would look great.

This is all I have planned for now and would really like some suggestions for the WC parts and Naquada Generator case/supplies in addition to feedback.
Remember that I haven't started completely yet as I am waiting to get the case.

think something up. really it doesnt hafta be axactly the same as those models. you got a general idea of what you want, so work off that. I would rather see someone use their own creativity in a project in what they think something should look like.

heh they used V1 as a bomb.

I love you. I love stargate. Pull this off and you will be a god.

kronchev said:
interesting. i have seasons 1-6.

i have the feeling not a lot of work is going to get done this year :p jk
Do you have the season with the episodes where Apophis' voice isn't in the audio tracks? his mouth moves but you can't hear him speak. My friend has that and 'twas funny. He's got all the seasons I think (that are available).

emorphien said:
Do you have the season with the episodes where Apophis' voice isn't in the audio tracks? his mouth moves but you can't hear him speak. My friend has that and 'twas funny. He's got all the seasons I think (that are available).

theyre *ahem* custom CDs. If you cant hear him speak its because he has is sound system screwed up I believe :)

kronchev said:
theyre *ahem* custom CDs. If you cant hear him speak its because he has is sound system screwed up I believe :)
oh :eek: ;)

yeah, it was a mistake in the mastering of the DVDs, they, ahh, kinda left his voice out.

Yes indeed good luck... thats gonna be 1 hell of a mod when u get done with it :D may the force be with you man :D :D :D

Thanks for the coments. I too have all the seasons. I've gone out and baught each of them the day they were released. I left a High School football game early my Sophomore year back in '97 just so that I could get home in time to watch the the pilot on Showtime.
I also have the AMC AC3 Dolby rips for seasons 1-5 and TV rips for seasons 6-8. This is where most of my screen captures came from since it was easier than using the DVD's.

emorphien, I have seen the DVD's you are talking about. It is quite funny.

Kronchev, I already am a God. :D
Sobek is the Egyptian Crocodile God of the Nile.

SacLANd, I have other ideas but didn't want to give everything away.

I have some errands to do today including ordering the case. I'm going to go to Wall-Mart and Home Depot as well to look for materials.

edit: Case has been ordered. On my way to WM and HD.

I like your ideas so far. While I think it would be cool to replicate the hierolgyphics of the Go'auld mothership on the sides of your case, that could prove difficult. About the only way I could see to do it with relative ease, would be to carve out a panel you want out of clay or something, them make a mold of it in silicone, then apply those panels to your case. It would look cool, it's what the folks on SG-1 use, but it is heavy, and would add substantialbulk to your case. There may be other options that would capture the overall look, but be a little easier to do.

Check:

Horus scupture applique

or

Horus sculpture applique - facing other side

or

Heiroglyphic panel

I'm sure you could find similar things if you look hard enough. These might be the easiest to get at what you want. Thought I would pass these along to you. Best of luck...I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Thanks for the links Jonitus. I really like the last one but it is way too large to fit (2ftx2ft). I may order it it if I can't come up with any alternatives and then cut it up. I want to put acurate Heiroglyphics from maybe the Book of the Dead, possibly the names of the System Lords, or maybe the gate addresses. I haven't made my mind up yet and want to get the case before I start experimenting with it.

I wasn't able to find a Military type case for the reactor yesterday when I was out. So far all I have found online are companies that can make cases based on your needs and the ones that they do have are far too expensive for me to buy and then Mod.
I did start to experimant with some sketches for it though but it is hard when you don't have anything tangible to work with.

I've got a case like that (it fits a matx board though) that I got from CompUSA of all places. It's a case made for carrying games consoles (XBOX/GameCube/PS2) and your going to have to gut it since it has little comparements made with foam and I believe balsa wood. I got it for $30 and I'm going to be building a LAN rig into it.

I found the link on their site
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=305790&pfp=BROWSE

Crappy pic doesn't show how nice it looks but I think you might like it (if your going with anything small like a matx).

Thanks for that link, CrimandEvil. I could use that but it is very limited in space. I need something like that except wider. If anyone knows where I can find something like that but wider at a similar price, let me know. There is no way I could mod that either with out totally fucking it up.

I got some new ideas today while reading gclg2000's '77 Bonneville thread in the WC forum. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=775946
I'm going to make my own res and mod a Bonneville to save some money.
I have decided to put the pump, reservoir and possibly heatercore all in the external case. This gives me more room in the PC-61 for the other details.

The res. and pump will look like the v1 Naquada Generator (see above) and I will hide the heatercore somewhere out of site. I'm going to try and keep it looking exactly like this:
Naquada%20Gen01.jpg

as much as possible.
I'm thinking of having the rocker switches for the fans and UV CCFL go here and I'd like to put in a small LCD to read temps also. My power, restart, HD activity, etc would go where those illuminated buttons are. This means I am going to have a lot of wire extensions though. I can also add a USB milti-card reader in there.

take it on an airplane, i dare you, i double dare you!!!

lol, my next proj is a lan pc that as of right now I have decided on a "bomb" looking pc. Me and my bro were joking around taking that on a plane. Man I will go to the airport just to bring my lan pc with me. I just want to see the guards freak out when i try to turn it on to show them it is a pc not a bomb, lol (might have to wear some kevlar). It would be bad ass if you could keep it looking like the naquada generator, i love that show. My friends make fun of me for wathcing the mon night 6 hours of it straight :( . but i mean come on, that is the best movie spin off show ever. I am realy interested to see how startgate atlantis comes out, it could either ruin the series or bring it a whole new life...we will see.

JEEVES

I think Atlantis will help the series....and I can't wait for it to launch either!! I have been thinking of how to get the ring to move and the only thing I was able to come up with is to have some DC motors w/a rubber wheel behind the ring that when turned on it will rotate it. you would need to rig a bering on the frontside to keep it from binding but if you used a teflon pad that might work...I am very intersted to see how this turns out

DRJ1014 said:
looks like a bomb
eek.gif

In that episode (Scorched Earth), it was used as a bomb. Sam made it so it would cause an overload until it explodeded.

JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
My friends make fun of me for wathcing the mon night 6 hours of it straight :( . but i mean come on, that is the best movie spin off show ever.

You need new friends. ;) I usually watch it everynight at 6pm while I'm eating dinner if I am home. I may watch the first two on Monday, but I have other shows I watch at 8pm.

gigglebyte said:
I have been thinking of how to get the ring to move and the only thing I was able to come up with is to have some DC motors w/a rubber wheel behind the ring that when turned on it will rotate it. you would need to rig a bering on the frontside to keep it from binding but if you used a teflon pad that might work...I am very intersted to see how this turns out

I was thinking more along the lines of turning it manually. I don't want to try and fuck with motors and all that shit. I'll worry about it last though. I want to get everything else made first.

emorphien said:
You forgot to double dog dare him. Now he'll never do it.
You're right. Now it's too late. :(

The Naquada Reactor reminds me of the atomic bomb that kid built in the movie The Manhattan Project.

Sobek said:
I was thinking more along the lines of turning it manually. I don't want to try and fuck with motors and all that shit. I'll worry about it last though. I want to get everything else made first. The Manhattan Project.

If you had a simple metal guide and greased it up a bit, a small electric motor should be able to turn it without much trouble. I really think you ought to make it a goal to achieve once everything else is done because that would be uber slick.

emorphien said:
If you had a simple metal guide and greased it up a bit, a small electric motor should be able to turn it without much trouble. I really think you ought to make it a goal to achieve once everything else is done because that would be uber slick.

I don't exactly know what you are talking about. Can you show many any pics or something. I would like for it to turn with a motor if it can be done cheap.
Keep in mind I have no experiance working with motors and complex electronics and barely any metal working skills.

Also, I would rather have orange LED's in each of the Chevrons glow like an active gate than have it move when it comes down to it. Both are preferred, however.

Sobek said:
I don't exactly know what you are talking about. Can you show many any pics or something. I would like for it to turn with a motor if it can be done cheap.
Keep in mind I have no experiance working with motors and complex electronics and barely any metal working skills.

Also, I would rather have orange LED's in each of the Chevrons glow like an active gate than have it move when it comes down to it. Both are preferred, however.
You can probably get a cheap electric motor at radio shack, just wire it up (12v DC probably) and be good to go.

I think the orange lights would be pretty cool as well... maybe better.

I was thinking of a Rat shack DC motor like THIS one and hook it up with a pot like THIS one and with some basic wiring you could have a speed controled ring...now with out a lot of work and wiring you wouldn't be able to get it to work like in the show but just for a basic spin this would be the easiest way. As for using grease for lubrication I personaly wouldn't do it just because it can be a mess if it leaks or gets pressed out which is why I recomend teflon pads like you have on the bottom of your mouse

You sir are a false god. How could you be a god without slaves? I mean... Apophis has Jafa(Sp?). BAHh!

good luck with this. there are so many neat little gadgets on that show that you could replicate and mod a pc into. again good luck, and have fun! :)

^^ thanks guys.

gigglebyte and emorphien, thanks for the suggestions. I will look into it later on after most of everything else is finished.

My PC-61 came today and I am super fucking happy about it. I love the look, design, and excellant constuction. Of course now I get to mod the hell out of it. :D
I took the entire thing apart just to see what I can do to it and I think that most of my ideas will work. I also came up with a few smaller little things I am going to do but I will wait to show you so that some stuff is surprising.

Does anyone know if these 80mm fans that come on Lian-Li's are decent? I may replace a couple of them with either UV or LED ones.

I have looked all over the internet for military type cases to put the Naquada Generator in. Every place I go to wants between $80-200 for one. I'm not about to spend that much money on something I may cut holes into. I was looking for something with a max of 24"x12"x6" and a minimum of 18"x8"x4" (LxWxH) for under $50. Ebay was a bust as well.
I may just end up building the reactor for the pump, res, and heatercore and put them in a case later on.

Anyone know where I can get sheets of Aluminum either new or scrap? Home Depot has sheet metal but I'm not sure if that is what I need. They also charge something like $4 for a 12"x6" sheet (approx).

What kind of "military-type" cases were you looking for?

I have a couple pelican cases I use for various things, you can find a modest sized one for about $50 I suspect. Depends how big the "reactor" is going to be.

If pelican cases are too much there's some cheap ripoffs but I dont' know where you'd find them. I think a pelican case is a good bet though, they're kinda military-ish lookin.

emorphien said:
What kind of "military-type" cases were you looking for?

I have a couple pelican cases I use for various things, you can find a modest sized one for about $50 I suspect. Depends how big the "reactor" is going to be.

If pelican cases are too much there's some cheap ripoffs but I dont' know where you'd find them. I think a pelican case is a good bet though, they're kinda military-ish lookin.

Yeah the pelican cases are nice and basically what I am looking for. The prices I have seen have been in the $50-200 range for even those. Look at the pic above or on the first page. I need a case that sorta resembles that. I'm going to keep the reactor at about 1ft long. I need extra room to put the pump, heatercore, and switches, buttons, etc.

For now I am just going to build the reactor and mod the Lian-Li and I'll worry about the reactor case later on. I'll keep searching though.

I'm not going to be able to really start working on the PC-61 till Monday. I have to work, spend time with the girlfriend :rolleyes:, and help my sister move.

Try looking in a music shop, I have a guitar case that would probably work (except it's too long) so try looking for something your size, I've seen a few that I'd like to make into a case.

CrimandEvil said:
Try looking in a music shop, I have a guitar case that would probably work (except it's too long) so try looking for something your size, I've seen a few that I'd like to make into a case.

come to think of it, a trumpet case may be what you would want. should be about the right size (but maybe a bit thicker than 6") i'd look at one of those.

looks to be a really sweet mod if you can pull it off.

Back