project: Shuttle Cool Down

grind down the edge of the molding that the mesh is sitting on? Difficult, yes, tedious, yes.... :D

So I'm curious about the handle on top. Is it going to deform the aluminum since it's such a narrow strip at the top? Any reinforcement ideas?

Qtip42 said:
grind down the edge of the molding that the mesh is sitting on? Difficult, yes, tedious, yes.... :D

So I'm curious about the handle on top. Is it going to deform the aluminum since it's such a narrow strip at the top? Any reinforcement ideas?

I started thinking about that recently also...Shuttles aren't alwasy as light as everyone thinks...

I already tested it with the Shuttle fully loaded, and it was fine.

If you go back and look at the pics of the handle (in the package) you'll see they come with reinforcing plates.

SarverSystems said:
I already tested it with the Shuttle fully loaded, and it was fine.

If you go back and look at the pics of the handle (in the package) you'll see they come with reinforcing plates.

Good stuff, nice to hear things are working out for you.

Got any pics coming up for us in the next little while?

Yes, yes more pics please! :)

Looking very good so far, can't wait to see how this turn out.

The Shuttle was alrwady his. He's a friend of mine, a LAN buddy. So far, his bill is $150 including the parts.

SarverSystems said:
The Shuttle was alrwady his. He's a friend of mine, a LAN buddy. So far, his bill is $150 including the parts.

Nice stuff, what were the "not pic worthy" things that were done?

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've had this headache for 4 days now. On and off. When it's on, it's ON.

Anyways, here are the updates, so the supense can stop killing you now. ;)

PICT0555.JPG

PICT0556.JPG

PICT0557.JPG

The next time I pop the lid, I'll show ya.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the "mass" of wires hanging out the front of it yet.

SarverSystems said:
The next time I pop the lid, I'll show ya.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the "mass" of wires hanging out the front of it yet.

What's with the mass of wires hanging out the front of it? :p

Headaches are your body's way of telling you..."you should be modding right now"

Seriously, you should see somebody about that.

I'm not to keen on the blue, but to each his own. I love the mesh though. This thing has almost as much ventilation as a bare motherboard. :eek: I hope you're overclocking it!

Why did you change the blue mesh grill back to the traditional fan grill? Are you going to paint the new one light blue too?

I didn't like the look of it 100%, so I switched it back to a plain wire grill.

I might possibly paintit blue to match, but I haven't decided yet.

The mass of wires?

Well, did you see all of the lighted stuff that is going in here? 4 lighted feet (4 LEDs), 4 lighted fan screws (4 LEDs), 1 case handle (2 LEDs). That's a total of 10 LEDs I need to wire up. If you look very closely in one of the pics, you'll see a sneak preview of how I am gonna accomplish this.

Each LED will be on one of 4 channels. Each channel has it's own flash pattern, that can be adjusted with a combination of 2 switches.

It'll all become clear when you see the next series of pics.

ValeX said:
That thing is gonna get sooo dusty! lol. Hopefully its slick looks will repel those evil dust bunnies from un-attractive hell! :cool:

ValeX

It won't be anything that some attention on a weekly basis won't be able to take care of. My room where my comp is is ridiculously dusty...and even without mesh panels and whatnot things get fairly gunked up. Just take a little extra time with/for your PC and it won't look that bad.

You guys are forgetting something important here.

There is essentially only 1 fan in this entire system (plus the teeny tiny 40mm PSU fan). The dust build up will be minimal. It's not like I am creating a wind tunnel in the case or anything.

My P180 has about 9 fans in it, all 120mm, and the dust build up is minimal. I need to clean it about every other month (the day before our LANs).

SarverSystems said:
You guys are forgetting something important here.

There is essentially only 1 fan in this entire system (plus the teeny tiny 40mm PSU fan). The dust build up will be minimal. It's not like I am creating a wind tunnel in the case or anything.

My P180 has about 9 fans in it, all 120mm, and the dust build up is minimal. I need to clean it about every other month (the day before our LANs).

All depends on the house/room where the computer is though. I've had shuttles before and had serious dust issues...just cus my parents house was a fricken dust magnet. :p

Sounds good though man, the case is lookin' nice.

Yeah, dust CAN be a problem with Shuttles. I currently have a Shuttle (I also modded it so it has mesh on one side) in my dorm, and damn...it gets really dusty in matter of weeks. I did change the fan in my Shuttle to a Panflo, but I don't think that makes too much of a difference.

Anyways, can't wait to see more updates. BTW...where did you get that mesh from?

aznpxdd said:
Yeah, dust CAN be a problem with Shuttles. I currently have a Shuttle (I also modded it so it has mesh on one side) in my dorm, and damn...it gets really dusty in matter of weeks. I did change the fan in my Shuttle to a Panflo, but I don't think that makes too much of a difference.

Anyways, can't wait to see more updates. BTW...where did you get that mesh from?

www.mnpctech.com

"Modders Mesh"

MNPCTech is hella-expensive for this stuff.

I got it from where THEY get it from. McMaster-Carr.

$35 for a 4'X6' sheet.

SarverSystems said:
MNPCTech is hella-expensive for this stuff.

I got it from where THEY get it from. McMaster-Carr.

$35 for a 4'X6' sheet.

Holy crap man that's awsome...thx...I was looking for someone cheaper.

You'll have to let me know when he goes to the next LAN party, I'm only in Monroeville (for those not in Pittsburgh area, it's 20 miles at the most) and I'd love to see it in person.

Sarver, I totally have to paint your case if you don't ........:D. No sense in leaving it plain old silver.

The case IS painted. Look at the before and after pics again.

BEFORE:
PICT0452.JPG

AFTER:
PICT0532_resize.JPG

I even painted the inside to match.

BEFORE:
PICT0468.JPG

AFTER:
PICT0535_resize.JPG

malingjc said:
You'll have to let me know when he goes to the next LAN party, I'm only in Monroeville (for those not in Pittsburgh area, it's 20 miles at the most) and I'd love to see it in person.

www.uqlan.com for info. I run the LAN, Potcock (owner of the Shuttle) is Assitant Server admin.

Congrats on the front page mention on [H]ard|OCP Sarver...hadn't checked it out in awhile and it was nice to see your baby featured. :)

I was very surprised to see myself on the frontpage. I'm still kinda stumped as to why I would be there. This mod is nothing innovative, extraordinary, or extremely complex. Oh well. I am very happy and proud of my none the less.

Anywho, here is a small update.

PICT0558.JPG

PICT0560.JPG

PICT0559.JPG

PICT0561.JPG

I still have to clean up the edges of the cut, and put the chrome molding on.

Nice window. I was trying to figure out how I'd make a nice looking window with the big spindle.

Well I guess I'm going blind and it is painted. I can't tell but still let me paint it anyway :D

Nice optical window there sarver...I was hoping to see something along those lines added into this project. :)

Back