Project: mITX SFF custom case

Hi, does anyone know if this case can handle an 8700k and 1080ti at full load? I'm currently running a 7700k with a Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B heatsink and an EVGA 1080ti (dual fan) in a Node 202, and learned that I needed to delid the 7700k to reach tolerable temps. I'm going to delid the 8700k too, but won't have it for another week. I'd like to use the S400 as my main system, but don't want to be disappointed in the end after I put it all together and learn it's too hot. Obvious differences between the S400 and Node 202 would be the lack of the 2 120mm fans underneath the video card and the different orientation of the video card.

grsychckn, I found an S400 on craigslist and didn't know what it was until someone told me on Reddit. From there I learned about your labor of love in designing and creating the case :). I have to give you major props in going through with your one man operation and seeing it through to the end despite all of the hurdles. I wasn't really ever a 'boutique' PC case guy, but will definitely get your S700 case if I find myself ever needing more than ITX.

Hi, does anyone know if this case can handle an 8700k and 1080ti at full load? I'm currently running a 7700k with a Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B heatsink and an EVGA 1080ti (dual fan) in a Node 202, and learned that I needed to delid the 7700k to reach tolerable temps. I'm going to delid the 8700k too, but won't have it for another week. I'd like to use the S400 as my main system, but don't want to be disappointed in the end after I put it all together and learn it's too hot. Obvious differences between the S400 and Node 202 would be the lack of the 2 120mm fans underneath the video card and the different orientation of the video card.

grsychckn, I found an S400 on craigslist and didn't know what it was until someone told me on Reddit. From there I learned about your labor of love in designing and creating the case :). I have to give you major props in going through with your one man operation and seeing it through to the end despite all of the hurdles. I wasn't really ever a 'boutique' PC case guy, but will definitely get your S700 case if I find myself ever needing more than ITX.

Awesome - I'm glad to hear you picked up the S400 cheap. I'm a little curious why the seller was getting rid of it. Do you know? If you find you need anything for it let me know.

Regardless, I can't speak for your specific hardware but I can say that I've used an 1800X with a 1080ti SC2 and things worked well in the S400. I built it for the donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma society and unfortunately didn't have any time to take measurements on thermals/throttling. I'd be curious to see how the S400 compares to the 202 with your setup.

As for the S700, that is going to be completely redesigned to help lower production costs. I am also currently considering making it about an inch longer so that I can install my dual-socket SP3 motherboard with my 2 engineering sample 32-core Epyc processors. Then I can remote desktop into that as my CAD server. Still playing around with the design though as I wrap up the S401 for sale. There is going to be a pre-order this week for the S401 but the announcement will be made through my newsletter. Visit my site (www.salvostudiosltd.com) to learn more.

Last edited:
Awesome - I'm glad to hear you picked up the S400 cheap. I'm a little curious why the seller was getting rid of it. Do you know? If you find you need anything for it let me know.

Regardless, I can't speak for your specific hardware but I can say that I've used an 1800X with a 1080ti SC2 and things worked well in the S400. I built it for the donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma society and unfortunately didn't have any time to take measurements on thermals/throttling. I'd be curious to see how the S400 compares to the 202 with your setup.

As for the S700, that is going to be completely redesigned to help lower production costs. I am also currently considering making it about an inch longer so that I can install my dual-socket SP3 motherboard with my 2 engineering sample 32-core Epyc processors. Then I can remote desktop into that as my CAD server. Still playing around with the design though as I wrap up the S401 for sale. There is going to be a pre-order this week for the S401 but the announcement will be made through my newsletter. Visit my site (www.salvostudiosltd.com) to learn more.

I didn't ask why the seller was selling. I bought a couple of other items from him too. His CL ad was kind of non descriptive on the parts indicating maybe he wasn't that knowledgeable, so it's weird that he would have such a niche case.

Alright, I'll put it through its paces next week and tell you the results. Hopefully the Big Shuriken 2 fits as there is no space to spare with it in the Node 202.

Cool, I'll keep an eye out on your development of the S401 and S700.

I didn't ask why the seller was selling. I bought a couple of other items from him too. His CL ad was kind of non descriptive on the parts indicating maybe he wasn't that knowledgeable, so it's weird that he would have such a niche case.

Alright, I'll put it through its paces next week and tell you the results. Hopefully the Big Shuriken 2 fits as there is no space to spare with it in the Node 202.

Cool, I'll keep an eye out on your development of the S401 and S700.

The big shuriken 2 will not fit in the S400. The height limit of the heatsink is 50mm for the S400 and it appears the big shuriken 2 is 70mm. I'm afraid your options will be limited but I know that the Cryorig C7 (not much better than the stock cooler) will work. So does the Noctua NH-L9I and Scythe Kozuti. I also would like to see how the Thermalright AXP-100 performs when modified to fit the fan between the block and the fins. Regardless, good luck and let me know if you need help.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The big shuriken 2 will not fit in the S400. The height limit of the heatsink is 50mm for the S400 and it appears the big shuriken 2 is 70mm. I'm afraid your options will be limited but I know that the Cryorig C7 (not much better than the stock cooler) will work. So does the Noctua NH-L9I and Scythe Kozuti. I also would like to see how the Thermalright AXP-100 performs when modified to fit the fan between the block and the fins. Regardless, good luck and let me know if you need help.

The big shuriken 2 is listed at 58mm, but like you said, is no go.

The general consensus for the heatsink/fan to get from Sentry and Dan case owners is a Thermolab LP53 with a Noctua NF-A9. The combo comes in at 42mm. It's really expensive though with the LP53 costing $70 on Amazon or $55 shipped from Korea, and another $15 for the fan. There's also an all copper AXP-100 that's coming out which fits in the Dan case with the mod you mentioned.

The LP53 doesn't cool as well as the big shuriken 2, but it seems to be able to keep a delidded 8700k at manageable temps.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back