Project: Honeycomb

I have to get over breaking the back panel and work on the front. Since the hole saw isn't working out I'll have to do it all by hand. I will be going uber slow to make sure I get the best cut I can. There will be some flaws but that is to be expected when doing things by hand. So here we go.

The first holes that I made were 4 1/2". Well I needed a 5 1/2" hole for the 140mm fans. After remeasuring for the 5 1/2" holes, I noticed that 3 of them would not fit on the HDD side. So I down sized it by about 1/4" and they all fit perfectly. I used a compass to draw the circles.
DSC07189-1.jpg

I then started out cutting the 2 fan holes on the mobo side of the case.
DSC07178-1.jpg

Next was the center one of the HDD side.
DSC07187-1.jpg

I heard from someone that you should tape the bottom of your jigsaw so that you don't scratch the plexi and so it glides better. Well it worked like a charm for me.
DSC07188-1.jpg

One to go.
DSC07190-1.jpg

All done.
DSC07192-1.jpg

I also drilled out the Power and Reset switch holes.
DSC07193-1.jpg

Next I have to drill the holes for the screws.
DSC07196-1.jpg

DSC07205-1.jpg

Now to test fit some of the fans.
DSC07195-1.jpg

DSC07198-1.jpg

And the switches.
DSC07202-1.jpg

Looks good. They stick out a smidge so I'll have to sand the holes a bit more or something.
DSC07199-1.jpg

I'm using 8-32 x 1 1/2" Socket Head Cap Screws with 8-32 Hex nuts.
DSC07203-1.jpg

I also did a little brainstorming on the I/O covers. I didn't like the ones that came with the mobo tray so I thought I would try my skill at making my own from some MNPCTECH Modders Mesh.

Stock cover.
DSC07181-1.jpg

I straightened it out as much as I could.
DSC07184-1.jpg

And after a bit of cutting and bending.... I got this. And it fits perfectly.
DSC07186-1.jpg

How does it look?

I finally got in touch with Delvie's Plastics to order some more plexi since I broke the back panel. I also needed the hexagons laser cut and I needed a few sheets of orange for the 2 side panel windows.

I bought some Orange paint while I was home on vacation. Do you guys think a Orange mobo tray and I/O back plate would look good Orange? Or should I just paint the I/O covers Orange? I appreciate the feedback.

Cheers till next time.

Last edited:
Lamptron.jpg

Lamptron hooked me up with a few things.

2x 12" UV Cold Cathode Kits
DSC07179-1.jpg

DSC07180-1.jpg

FC5v2 4 channel Fan Controller
DSC07131.jpg

DSC07134.jpg

You can check out the review I did for Lamptron on the FC5v2 here.

Thanks again to Lamptron for helping out with this mod!

Cheers till next time.

Since its a 3 day weekend I will be trying to get as much done as I can. Here is what I did last night.

So the media card reader will be in the front plate of the mod. I didn't want to put it anywhere... traditional?

Drilled holes to fit the jig saw blade.
DSC07206.jpg

After cutting.
DSC07207.jpg

It actually was really straight when I first cut it but I had to widen it roughly 2-3mm so that the card reader would fit snugly. This took almost an hour because I didn't want to take too much off.

As you can see here. Nothing is holding it up. It fits perfectly.
DSC07208.jpg

Flush with the front panel.
DSC07209.jpg

DSC07210.jpg

That's it for today. More to come this weekend hopefully.

Cheers till then.

Yesterday and today I worked on putting the top and bottom panels onto the case. I also worked on the design for the side panel window today.

First I measured where I wanted the holes to be for the bottom panel.
DSC07224.jpg

Then I drilled and tapped them.
DSC07225.jpg

I then drilled the holes for the case screws and for the case feet.
DSC07228.jpg

Attached the feet.
DSC07230.jpg

DSC07231.jpg

In order to do the top panel I had to temperamentally attach the side and front panels.
DSC07233.jpg

Marked where I need to drill.
DSC07234.jpg

Another good fit.
DSC07236.jpg

DSC07238.jpg

I decided that I wanted to paint the motherboard tray and I/O backplate orange so I took them apart.
DSC07239.jpg

Sprayed them with some self etching primer.
DSC07243.jpg

And now I am putting the orange on. I am doing light coats so that it looks even.

Now for the side panel. I didn't know how I was going to draw the hexagons so I experimented first.

DSC07245.jpg

DSC07247.jpg

DSC07246.jpg

It looks ok but after 3 or 4 of the hexagons, it wasn't square.
DSC07248.jpg

So now what? It took me awhile but I then figured out that I should measure the hexagon I cut out and just make a grid on the panel. IDK why I didn't think of that in the first place but oh well.

Progress shots.
DSC07250.jpg

DSC07251.jpg

DSC07252.jpg

DSC07253.jpg

DSC07254.jpg

Starting to form the window.
DSC07256.jpg

And finally with all 4 windows cut out. Through the 3 small ones on the right, you will be able to see the 2 reservoirs.
DSC07258.jpg

I think I will start cutting the side panel tonight. Hopefully I'll get the motherboard tray finished today or tomorrow.

Cheers till then.

I must say great work, and I absolutely love the hexagon cutout. I grow tired of square and circle windows so I may just try this too. Keep up the good work!

After I finished drawing up the side panel yesterday I started cutting it. It took me roughly 4 hours to do the 1 large window and 3 small ones. I wanted ever cut to be perfect because you can always take more off, you can never put it back.

When cutting windows plexi, first thing to do is drill out your corners so you have somewhere for you blade to go.
DSC07259.jpg

First one done.
DSC07260.jpg

Second.
DSC07261.jpg

And finally the third small window.
DSC07262.jpg

You can see how the edges are just a bit off. So here they are after filing for a good 30 minutes to get it perfect.
DSC07262.jpg

DSC07265.jpg

DSC07266.jpg

DSC07268.jpg

Next up is the large window. I had to drill lots of holes.
DSC07269.jpg

DSC07270.jpg

Done! Well... almost.
DSC07271.jpg

Using the technique that I do, You will still have most corners looking like this but that's OK. I take my jigsaw and clean up the corners with ease.
DSC07272.jpg

All done!
DSC07273.jpg

Here are some shots to show the edges. Remember, this is all done by hand so its only about 95-98% perfect. I might have to file 1 or 2 of the the sides again.
DSC07274.jpg

DSC07275.jpg

DSC07276.jpg

DSC07277.jpg

And here is what it looks like on the case.
DSC07278.jpg

DSC07279.jpg

This is only the 1st level of the side panel. There will be raised hexagons on the top, one orange with a black one on top. And behind the window cut out there will be Orange and then the clear piece. The Orange will have LED's behind it to give it some glow.

Since I have some clear plexi I figured I would cut that to size too and since I don't have a table saw or a laser cutter, I had to make my own.

Here I am using a level as my guide so that the line is perfectly straight.
DSC07280.jpg

Up close shot.
DSC07282.jpg

Not too bad.
DSC07283.jpg

DSC07284.jpg

DSC07285.jpg

And since I cut that piece off, I used it as my straight edge for the next cut.
DSC07286.jpg

Another good cut.
DSC07288.jpg

DSC07294.jpg

The line to the left is where the frame stops.
DSC07295.jpg

Here is what it looks like in comparison to the panel.
DSC07296.jpg

That's it for now. I'm still painting the mobo plate and I/O back plate. Until I receive more plexi all I can do is attach the front panel. I might find some other small things to do but nothing major.

Cheers till next time.

After talking to a guy on one of the forums he has agreed to help me make a custom made mobo waterblock. Here are some shots of the beginning stages of me planing it out.

These are pictures from a few days ago. The current layout is almost perfect. I still have to work on it for a few more days.
DSC07320.jpg

DSC07321-1.jpg

DSC07323-1.jpg

Now for the cables.

CPU Power cable cut.
DSC07331.jpg

Assembled
DSC07332.jpg

And sleeved.
DSC07336.jpg

Here is where I stand with all the other cables.
DSC07339.jpg

The CPU Power and 2 PCI-E cables are assembled so far. I have the ATX Power cable cut in the middle and on the left was an attempt at sleeving a SATA cable. I just finished cutting the cables for the SATA power for all the HDDs, the SATA power for the Blu-Ray player and the fan hub power cable.

Now to connect all these to the mobo I need more holes. I wanted to make a hole for each wire to go through but that didn't work out. But it did look good.

DSC07326.jpg

DSC07327.jpg

DSC07328.jpg

DSC07329.jpg

I ended up doing this.

Here is where all the wires will pass through the center piece.
DSC07325.jpg

This is at the top left of the mobo. The CPU Power will pass through here.
DSC07333.jpg

Here are the holes for the ATX Power, SATA cables and the PCI-E cables.
DSC07338.jpg

DSC07343.jpg

DSC07344.jpg

DSC07351.jpg

DSC07353.jpg

I didn't get a good one of the CPU power. I'll have more later.

And finally I couldn't resist doing a fan test. The white LEDs look good for now.
DSC07356.jpg

Today I am working on the PSU support, fan grills, painting the I/O backplate/PCI covers and more PSU cables.

Cheers till next time.

Looking good!

Why did you abandon the idea of individual holes for each wire? I thought that would look pretty sweet!

Looking very nice.

For the record, the proper way to cut plexi with a hole saw, is to use the highest RPM's you possibly can, with the lowest amount of downward pressure. It takes me about 5m to cut through 1/2" lucite, but it's the only way... The plastic will melt otherwise, cool and grab the bit, and either send the part flying, or crack it outright. You can replace the middle bore with any like sized bit as well, just use an allen key to remove the set screw.

Nonetheless, your jigsaw 140mms are better than I could have done.

Here are the holes for the ATX Power, SATA cables and the PCI-E cables.
DSC07338.jpg
An idea, maybe a little late but... Continuing your hexagon theme here for these holes would have been nice since this area will probably be visible from that great hexagon window.

Keep up the great work!

Looking good!

Why did you abandon the idea of individual holes for each wire? I thought that would look pretty sweet!

Well, after some more math they would have taken up almost 2x the amount of space. And as I would be doing it by hand there would have been too much error.

Looking very nice.

For the record, the proper way to cut plexi with a hole saw, is to use the highest RPM's you possibly can, with the lowest amount of downward pressure. It takes me about 5m to cut through 1/2" lucite, but it's the only way... The plastic will melt otherwise, cool and grab the bit, and either send the part flying, or crack it outright. You can replace the middle bore with any like sized bit as well, just use an allen key to remove the set screw.

Nonetheless, your jigsaw 140mms are better than I could have done.

The problem wasn't my technique. It was the drill press. It does not have the HP to cut through it. Also its running at 50Hz rather than 60Hz.

An idea, maybe a little late but... Continuing your hexagon theme here for these holes would have been nice since this area will probably be visible from that great hexagon window.

Keep up the great work!

Honestly? I didn't even think about that. Maybe I will explore that option. I might be able to finagle it.

My EK Waterblocks order finally got here! Thanks EK for this massive sponsorship.

Here it all is :D
DSC07367.jpg

2x DCP 4.0 Pumps
DSC07368.jpg

DSC07381.jpg

2x Multioption X2 Res 250

DSC07370.jpg

DSC07383.jpg

2x 420 Rads (These are MASSIVE!)
DSC07372.jpg

DSC07384.jpg

DSC07377.jpg

1x Supreme HF
DSC07379.jpg

DSC07378.jpg

1x RAM Dominator
DSC07387.jpg

DSC07388.jpg

Tons of 10/13 Straight and 45 degree Compression fittings.
Straight and 45 degree

DSC07386.jpg

Huge thanks again to Gregor at EK Waterblocks for sponsoring this build.

First thing is first. I'm not using the stock bolts for the rads. I like the ones I bought but they don't fit the threads of the rads.

DSC07389.jpg

So I drilled
DSC07390.jpg

and tapped them to accommodate an 8-32 bolt
DSC07391.jpg

When I tried a test fit I was like OH CRAP!! THEY DON'T FIT! My initial measurement was off by about 3/8" to accommodate the rads. So I cut spots in the bottom of the case for them to go.
DSC07393.jpg

Here you can see how far it sticks out the bottom. Which isn't much.
DSC07394.jpg

Here is the front one on.
DSC07396.jpg

DSC07398.jpg

How it will look with the second one. Can't install it until the new plexi arrives. Should have been shipped yesterday or today.
DSC07399.jpg

I forgot to take a close up but at the bottom of the left rad you can see the barbs are on. I had to cut about another 3/4" to be able to fit the barbs on. No biggie.
DSC07402.jpg

It took me quite awhile to figure out where the heck I was going to put the Reservoirs'.

This was my first thought.
DSC07403.jpg

And my second.
DSC07404.jpg

But in the end my buddy came up and told me they would look sick if I put them back to back on the same stand. I said OK lets try it.

I cut the clear piece of plexi to be exactly as wide as the res clamps.
DSC07423.jpg

Drilled and mounted the res clamps. I had to drill a hole the drill a larger hole on the opposite side but only 1/2 through the plexi. The screws they give you are extremely short.
DSC07424.jpg

and attached the reservoirs'
DSC07425.jpg

Here they are in the case.
DSC07426.jpg

This is not actually the final position. They will be about 1 1/2" to the left of where you see them... well to the back of the case but to the left of the pic.

From the front you can see they only block about 1/4 of the 2 front fans. That's fine since everything is WC'd. The 2 fans in the front are just to keep air moving.
DSC07429.jpg

With the side panel on.
DSC07428.jpg

You can't really see them... Lets fix that.

I cut 2 more hexagons out so that you could see them better. I won't cut anymore because then it will lose its look.
DSC07434.jpg

DSC07435.jpg

Things are finally coming together. My next update is all about experimenting with lighting. I've never used SMD LED strips before nor just using normal 5mm LEDs but some of the effects look pretty good.

Cheers till then.

As I said in my last update, I've never worked with SMD LED strips or used LEDs for this kind of lighting.

I drilled some holes in a scrap piece of clear plexi to see how the lighting looks. At the top is a few 5mm LEDs and the bottom is the SMD LED strip.
DSC07407.jpg

It looks ok. I don't like the spaces between the light on the side of the plexi.

Now here is the same piece of pelxi but with the SMD LED strip taped to the side of the plexi.
DSC07408.jpg

MUCH better looking IMO.

Here it is in the case. Its a bit hard to see it because I didn't cut it to size yet but I'm testing here.
DSC07411.jpg

DSC07414.jpg

From the front
DSC07412.jpg

DSC07413.jpg

I also wanted to see how it would look with LEDs directly under the res.
DSC07415.jpg

Deff not very good.

Since most coolant is crap I will be doing distilled water and some silver coils for now. The EK blocks are nice because they have a 3mm hole for an LED so I bought some Orange ones 2 days ago. They should be here next week. Anyways by doing this I won't need the coolant reaction, the LEDs should look great.

Well sorry for the bulk updates but I've been working really hard and didn't have time to publish them. I'm gonna work on the lighting some more tonight. Hopefully tomorrow I get some more materials in.

Cheers till next time.

impressive, i haven't cut 140mm holes with a hole saw but i have cut 120 and was able to do it fine with a 19.2v cordless craftsman drill without any real difficulty. The ones you made with the jig saw look perfect though.

impressive, i haven't cut 140mm holes with a hole saw but i have cut 120 and was able to do it fine with a 19.2v cordless craftsman drill without any real difficulty. The ones you made with the jig saw look perfect though.

Thanks! The other problem is that I only have a 14v cordless drill :( But doing it by had worked out great. Just have to take my time.

I should have an update this weekend. I've been waiting for supplies for almost 2 weeks now.

Sorry I haven't updated in a few weeks. Its not that I have been busy its just I haven't done much work. I am still waiting on the rest of the plexi to arrive. Been 2 weeks and I'm still waiting. Anyways... here is what I have done.

I got my Orange tubing in.
DSC07505.jpg

I also ordered a Rivet Nut Setter. Basically its a bigger pop rivet gun.
DSC07568.jpg

So with that I got the threaded rivets and drilled my old holes.
DSC07563.jpg

Used the tool, which I actually had to read the directions for, and voila! A steel threaded hole. These will hold up much better than the aluminum.
DSC07565.jpg

2 more 2TB Green HDDs
DSC07570.jpg

A 120mm fan for the mobo side of the case.
DSC07572.jpg

Sleeving... I ordered the FlexO from FrozenCPU because it was "cheaper". The quality wasn't great but I could afford it. I decided to do a sleeving comparison for my fellow modders and when I ordered the other brands I got my hands on some MDPC-X sleeving. No wonder everyone uses it. The color is amazing and its only $0.22 PER FOOT!! That's 1/3 the price of the FlexO. The only problem is that it takes 2 weeks to get :( Germany to USA. USA to me. I wish Nils would ship to APO/DPO but he doesn't so I have to deal with that.

Here is a comparison between the FlexO and MDPC-X
DSC07627.jpg

You can see on the HDD I bought some Orange vinyl film. Its pretty transparent so I have to put 2 layers down to get the color I want.
DSC07630.jpg

Since I had some of the MDPC-X I started sleeving the ATX power. I might add a few more black wires to the mix.
DSC07631.jpg

DSC07632.jpg

DSC07634.jpg

And that's it. I just put in an order to get the rest of the sleeving that I need form MDPC-X and I'll use up what I have left here.

Cheers till next time.

IMHO, I like the black cables just on the ends. But the whole thing is really coming together. I am particularly looking forward to this custom mobo waterblock. Will it have orange accents too? Could use the same vinyl from the HDDs.

Thanks! I have had 2 people tell me to only do the ends now so I think I will. I didn't actually think about using the vinyl on the mobo block. I may have to do that. Thanks for the tip! I also do need to work on that this weekend. I need to get the 3d model to the guy so he can start milling it. He does it by hand so it will take a week or so to make it. Then it has to be anodized and mailed to me from the UK.

Still waiting on my plexi :( If it doesn't arrive Friday then I'm going to call.

Random shots of my sleeving.
DSC07636.jpg

I'm not 100% happy with the connector so I might redo it.
DSC07637.jpg

I decided to buy some Primo Chill Ice UV Orange coolant and see how it looked.

DSC07645.jpg

DSC07644.jpg

DSC07643.jpg

DSC07640.jpg

Its actually not very UV reactive but it looks great without it. I ran it for 2 days like this and it was fine. I let it sit for a day and there was the problem. My res had an orange residue on it. So I deff won't be using this. Hopefully a certain someone will finish making their orange coolant for me :D

Random cool looking pics I thought.
DSC07646.jpg

DSC07647.jpg

DSC07648.jpg

Its was a holiday weekend in Germany so my MDPC-X sleeving didn't leave Germany until today so I should have it in about 2 weeks. Hopefully I can get this done by November but starting Tuesday for 2 weeks there will be no modding :( My wife and daughter come back and my sister is visiting for 2 weeks so I have to spend time with her.

Cheers till next time!

cool build
just a small suggestion, might wanna edit the pics from your last post. at 2,173px × 3,874px, my scroll finger hurts.

cool build
just a small suggestion, might wanna edit the pics from your last post. at 2,173px × 3,874px, my scroll finger hurts.
I second this.The pictures were huge on my laptop.

And looks nice,although the color kind of makes me feel hot.

Sorry guys! I'm resizing them now. I didn't know I uploaded them at full res.

no xDezor... its a Gigabyte 880GA

Sorry guys! I'm resizing them now. I didn't know I uploaded them at full res.

no xDezor... its a Gigabyte 880GA

No it's not? :confused:

Server4-1.jpg

Abit AB9-Pro:

ABITab9pro_full.jpg

Gigabyte 880GA:

60m_1.jpg

Sorry for the threadjack... The build looks great! Keep up the good work.

logo-bp.png

After months of talking with Bitspower, a box randomly showed up at my house :D So thanks Bitspower for sponsoring my build with lots of fittings (40+), a GTX 460 WB and 2 HDD WB.

DSC09169.jpg

Thanks guys!

So its been awhile since my last update. Work has been getting done just not enough at one time to make a post about it. I was super busy with life. My sister came to visit for about 2 weeks and I got a new boss so that is where most of my time has been spent. Also my wife and daughter are back so I spend a lot of my time with them. Here is what I have done over the past month up to this morning. (Not in any particular order)

I finally received the replacement back panel so I drew everything out.
DSC08816.jpg

Due to time constraints I forgot to take a picture of it all cut out.

Since I got that done I could finally install the 2nd rad.
DSC09074.jpg

I put the waterblock I got from Bitspower on the EVGA GTX 460.

DSC09076.jpg

DSC09075.jpg

DSC09077.jpg

DSC09078.jpg

Here I was messing with a single white LED under this plexi to see how well it glowed... It didn't workout as well as I hoped so I need to work on it more.
DSC09080.jpg

I needed to drill holes in the center divider for the Bitspower pass through fittings.
DSC09143.jpg

Starting to install them.
DSC09145.jpg

All done.
DSC09152.jpg

Here I was trying to figure out where to put the pumps.
DSC09081.jpg

DSC09082.jpg

DSC09084.jpg

This was my next solution.
DSC09116.jpg

DSC09117.jpg

And my final solution.
DSC09159.jpg

I also started working on my water tubing routing.
DSC09115.jpg

DSC09151.jpg

Its still a work in progress.

I built a cover to hide the PSU cables.
DSC09146.jpg

DSC09147.jpg

DSC09148.jpg

And then I glued it all together.
DSC09149.jpg

DSC09150.jpg

And finally I covered it with Carbon Fiber because it looked like crap. Once I get some good acrylic glue I will remake it properly but this will have to do for now.

I decided to cut down the Media Card Reader enclosure to make it smaller. There is no need to keep it full size.
DSC09153.jpg

DSC09154.jpg

DSC09155.jpg

Here I measured the half I cut to the other half.
DSC09156.jpg

Marked and ready to cut.
DSC09157.jpg

More pictures of the final product in my next update.

Here is one of the sides of the HDD racks I made from scratch.
DSC09160.jpg

They came out rather nice.

DSC09161.jpg

DSC09162.jpg

Now I'm working on a mounting system so I can take the HDD cages in and out with ease to add more HDDs.

And finally today I started working on the HDD side window.
DSC09164.jpg

Drilled and ready to cut.
DSC09165.jpg

I have more on the side panel coming in the next update since it took all day to upload these pictures.

Hope your happy to see more work!

Cheers till next time!

Back