Project: Galaxy 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ockie, that thing is awesome....I mean hideous, especially that custom PSU plate. I think I need to take that off your hands :p :D

Is this machine going to be at an LANs? I live in WI so it wouldn't be too far of a drive for me to see this thing.

Game On! :)

filthysanchez said:
galaxy 10 will be a giant holographic storage drive, with solid state, and magnetic backups

:p

Lets hope so!

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

protias said:
Have you figured out the drive lettering yet?

I'm going to letter as much as I can and then mountvol a few

Ockie said:
I'm going to letter as much as I can and then mountvol a few

Well, post how you do it when you get it working. I just have a morbid curiosity about this type of stuff :p

I forgot to ask, how much does this thing weight? It can't be light with 2 PSUs and 30 drives. :eek:

protias said:
I forgot to ask, how much does this thing weight? It can't be light with 2 PSUs and 30 drives. :eek:
well each of those removable drive bay units weight 10 pounds without drives in them.
So that's 60 pounds not including anything else. :D

i'm guessing maybe 80-100 pounds

AMD RULES said:
well each of those removable drive bay units weight 10 pounds without drives in them.
So that's 60 pounds not including anything else. :D

i'm guessing maybe 80-100 pounds

I'd say thats about accurate. Which is why I was so worried intially with the aluminum construction.

I just so happened to see this puppy in-person at the Boxheads/Waldoman LAN. It is indeed an impressive monster, although unfinished. I don't believe it was on though, just sitting next to Ockie looking all pretty. Did you ever end up turning it on and unleashing it on the network?

CHAoS_NiNJA said:
I just so happened to see this puppy in-person at the Boxheads/Waldoman LAN. It is indeed an impressive monster, although unfinished. I don't believe it was on though, just sitting next to Ockie looking all pretty. Did you ever end up turning it on and unleashing it on the network?
Well, remember how silent Ockie said it was, maybe you just couldn't hear it. Then again, you were there and I was not.

As to earlier comments, the system is completley finished and fully functional. Once I get the other sata controller, I will be able to use all of the drive bays. Right now I'm just waiting becuase shelling out on two $500 controllers is quite low on my priority.

Ockie, nice to see your system is completely up and running! That thing is a beast! :eek:

Ockie, it might just be time to start work on Galaxy 5.0.

Both Hitachi and Seagate announced 1TB hard drives today. Hitachi says theirs will cost $400 at launch in a few months....

That would be 30TB in your 5-in-3s....yummy!

Ockie, it might just be time to start work on Galaxy 5.0.

Both Hitachi and Seagate announced 1TB hard drives today. Hitachi says theirs will cost $400 at launch in a few months....

That would be 30TB in your 5-in-3s....yummy!

Yes, I saw that and I'm excited :)

I think what I'll do is fill the remaining up (new expansion) with cheap 500's and then jump on 1000's when they hit the 300 buck mark.

30tb!!! lol, i am only at 3.4tb right now:-( i can honest say, i know i will need more and more as times goes on, once you have it, it is easy to fill.....

Ten bucks says he's got more space in his main rig than most of us in our servers. I mean, I just got a 250 GB hard drive and I can't fill it for now! :eek:

Ten bucks says he's got more space in his main rig than most of us in our servers. I mean, I just got a 250 GB hard drive and I can't fill it for now! :eek:

It's pretty easy to fill 250GBs. Just have lots of TV shows, rip your music, rip and convert your movies and all of a sudden you are at 1TB+ and you still don't have enough room :(

i have a few 250's filled up

i could use a 2TB array.. in a decent stand alone setup where i just plug it in and manage it remotely ( dont care about running web servers or game servers )

UPDATE: PerformancePC's left me a msg to call them about this case I bought. James is the person I need to call... So I will give you guys an update on what he says.

UPDATE:

I talked to James from performance-pcs and he appologized profusley about the situation I had earlier with them. He offered me a "please return to us" offer but I turned it down as I am very satisfied that they followed up and appologized (an appology was all that I wanted). Apparently he called due to the complaint filed on reseller ratings.

Anyways, I am happy that they followed up, acknowledged their mistakes and acknowledge that it was unnacceptable of that behaviour that I recieved. He explained to me the situation with lian-li and not always disclosing them the entire contents of the package as they did with the G70 and he appologized for everything.

I will probably return as a customer but if I ever want to deal with customer service again, I will ask for James. He's a very nice person to deal with and seemed to see my point of view (he also noticed the inaccurate description of the website).

If you guys have any complaints about PerformancePcs, just call and ask for James.

Ockie glad to hear that Performanace PC called you back and made whatever was wrong right. Funny thing is that Performance PC's now has the dual PSU bracket that you needed for this project. LoL ;)

Ockie glad to hear that Performanace PC called you back and made whatever was wrong right. Funny thing is that Performance PC's now has the dual PSU bracket that you needed for this project. LoL ;)

Yeah, they offered to send me the bracket free of charge for their mistake. But I turned it down since the bracket would do me no good now (my current PSU plate is a tank, lol).

UPDATE:

Yes, I know it's been a long long overdue update, however, I have been sitting here scratching my head for a little while as I'm about to make the jump into purchasing the last phase of the project (raid controllers). I am all out of physical sata ports so I need to move to this phase.

However, something has made me ponder a little.

The new controllers I wish to purchase (Highpoint 2340's) cost approximately $500 when all said and done (some vendors like newegg has it for $469 ATM but the prices fluctuate quite a bit).

Anyways, so the bill to purchase two 16 port controllers would be 938-1000 dollars.

Now I've been thinking, i already have two 8 port SuperMicro controllers, they are dumb sata2 controllers and they are incredible controllers, they have no problems saturating the gigabit connection. These said controllers can be had for approximately $93 each. So to gain an additional 16 ports would set me back $186

Now I've been thinking, what if I replaced the motherboard to something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138026

...Which is only $71, and then purchase those two additional controllers.... then the total expenses I'd be looking at would be $257.... in other words much better to swallow. Also, this would mean that it would leave me with $681 to $743 free to purchase a ton of more drives.... AND I would end up with a spare M2N32-SLI W Deluxe + x1 X1300 video card... to make more logical sense, if I wanted to sell those two components (which I wouldn't), I would look at a $0 upgrade.... essentially meeting the goal of the project of spending nothing out of pocket and finishing phase 3 :eek:

Now I want to know, what do you guys think? I see no real issue in doing this swap, the 550 chipset is a very powerful chipset and should work great for the needs, also it has everything I need in it.

The ONLY problem I see is that one of those PCI slots are slightly obscured by the CMOS battery... and thats worrisome. I'm thinking that I have two options, 1) remove the battery AND battery holder and sauder the battery in a more remote location using wires, or, 2) cut the end of the controller to fit over the battery. I'm willing to go either route on it as the savings would amount to a lot of additional storage that I can purchase.

Another option which wouldn't involve any card or CMOS battery sacrafices would be this board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813151039

This would only raise the price slightly, but it is still workable.

Oh Ockie, you and your insane servers.

You guys still planning on coming down to this part of the country for MML? If you are, you should totally drag that damn thing along to show off :D

Oh Ockie, you and your insane servers.

You guys still planning on coming down to this part of the country for MML? If you are, you should totally drag that damn thing along to show off :D

I'm aiming for MML still.

Keep in touch via AIM! :D

What's even funnier is that they started selling that plate like two days after he received the one I sent him. Yeah, I was thrilled - I must have laughed for like .001 seconds.

Yeah, they offered to send me the bracket free of charge for their mistake. But I turned it down since the bracket would do me no good now (my current PSU plate is a tank, lol).
Wow, that only took like 3 months, eh? Hank is really on the ball. :rolleyes: I personally have never had a problem with them, so I'm glad you're satisfied with their response, Ockie.

I think swapping the mobo is a no-brainer, man. I wouldn't think that there'd be any noticeable performance difference between the RAID cards anyway, and there's no possible way it'd be worth $600. As for the CMOS battery, I've personally never had a problem with a battery physically interfering with card installation, so I would tend to think that the Biostar is the way to go. Then again, the extra $100 does buy you ECC support and, from the looks of it, a fancy-schmancy RAID controller on board (spend that $600 on more drives!). If you wouldn't use ECC or the SO-DIMM/onboard RAID, I'd go with the Biostar.

What's even funnier is that they started selling that plate like two days after he received the one I sent him. Yeah, I was thrilled - I must have laughed for like .001 seconds.

The plate you made is a hundred times better.

I think swapping the mobo is a no-brainer, man. I wouldn't think that there'd be any noticeable performance difference between the RAID cards anyway, and there's no possible way it'd be worth $600.
The only reason I wanted those RAID cards was for their ports, as they don't make dumb sata2 controllers of that size :(

As for the CMOS battery, I've personally never had a problem with a battery physically interfering with card installation, so I would tend to think that the Biostar is the way to go.

One thing worth noting is that these are 64bit PCI-X controllers in 32 bit slots, so the hangover is what I was mainly concerned about, which is why I boiled it down to that specific board due to the lack of interferences from other components.

Then again, the extra $100 does buy you ECC support and, from the looks of it, a fancy-schmancy RAID controller on board (spend that $600 on more drives!). If you wouldn't use ECC or the SO-DIMM/onboard RAID, I'd go with the Biostar.
Now that you mention it, I wouldn't' really use those features on the tyan either, so I think it's going to be the BIOSTAR.

A lot of people on AIM are agreeing with this notion that it's just not worth justifying spending that extra amount of money, also one side benefit to this would be that it would be a smaller footprint of a board, meaning more space to manage cables!!!

A buddy of mine mentioned to me that I could always get 3 8 port controllers for a total of 24 ports, then buy a 32bit 4 port controller and put it in the slot where the battery would interferre... this leaves me out of two ports, but I can use the onboard controller to fix that (system drive would anyways use the onboard controller, so really it's just one bulk drive that needs to be on the board controller).

Now I am facing the decision to go with 4 8 porters or buy one 8 porter and 1 4 porter and do what my buddy suggests. I think I should buy one 8 porter now and do a trial fitting, if it looks to be too risky or too much work, then I'll go with the 4 porter route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back